The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite ISA Two Mic Pre
Old 20th March 2012

🎧 15 years
Focusrite ISA Two Mic Pre

The ISA Two dual-mono mic pre is the ideal solution: two independent channels of the highest quality classic Focusrite mic pres, with line in and front-panel instrument inputs – no DI box required. Based on the legendary designs found in the Focusrite Forte and Studio Consoles, ISA Two is the ideal front-end for your rack.

Front panel, per channel:
1/4" instrument input
Variable input impedance - Low, ISA 110, Medium, High
Input selection - Mic, Line, Instrument
0 - 30 dB/30 - 60 dB gain switch
Phantom power switch
Phase invert switch
0 - 60 dB gain in 10 dB steps
0 - +20 dB continuously variable trim
Variable high-pass filter with on/off switch
Insert point on/off switch
Eight-LED user-calibrated level meters
Single power switch

Rear panel, per channel:
XLR-F mic inputs
1/4" TRS line inputs
1/4" TRS Sends
1/4" TRS Returns
XLR-M line output
Single peak meter calibration dial
Single IEC power socket

More info:ISA Two
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
price?
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
since there's not a ton of metal work and no case, handle, or vu's this better not end up at twice an ISA one for street price.
Old 20th March 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
fair price = instant buy for me to replace my isa one ....i want racks !!!

Edit : i'm gonna miss the VU ....:(
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If this had the digital option I would get one but sadly not.
Old 20th March 2012

🎧 10 years
I don't see a hi/low z selector for the instrument input or the amp send to it's not a direct replacement but I still like it. I wonder if it will be well under 1/2 the cost of the 428 since it doesn't have the digital option.
Old 20th March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No Digital... But i don't need it it makes it more expensive... I love my BLA ProFire 2626 converters anyhow! I'm in on this unit!!!
$799/999
Would make sence!
Old 21st March 2012

🎧 15 years
If this was more like two ISA Ones w/ separate DIs + amp out and was +/- $999 I might be tempted.

I don't really care about the digital, headphone amp, VU meter but to me the DI features would make it handy to have around.

the ISA One is sort of unwieldy - form factor is quite large + not really practical for me.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like the sweepable HPF on them. Nice touch.

Regards,
Frank
Old 21st March 2012

🎧 10 years
If its anything like their current stuff I'll probably pass. In my mind their kind of like a better known behringer.
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey Uncle Muscles, you made me register at Gearslutz and do my first post, cause comparing a neve Design to Behringer is absolute nonsense. I guess you never worked with ISAs.
I miss the AD converter too (cause their boards sound great and can be driven very hard before they clip) but the form factor is great.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This unit looks great ! I have THE 428 , REissue ISA110 and Bae 1073 . The focustrite stuff works quite well with my BAE stuff . There is no prob on it's quality or sound at all . I never understood the trashing of Focusrite . I am curious as to what transformers they used , If it is the same as the old ISA units . I think this may be there way of bringing back the ISA 110 without the EQ
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Answer to my own question

Lundahl LL1538 mic input transformer
Rupert Neve originally chose the Lundahl LL1538 to be the input transformer on the ISA 110. To this day the Lundahl transformer remains the best microphone input transformer available, and is used in every ISA Series mic pre. Rupert Neve also perfected the Zobel network found in the ISA circuit; something which takes a lot of knowledge and a golden set of ears. This allows the ISA mic pre to maintain an extremely flat frequency response across a very wide bandwidth.
Old 21st March 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer ➑️
price?
Guessing around Β£600
Old 21st March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle muscles ➑️
If its anything like their current stuff I'll probably pass. In my mind their kind of like a better known behringer.
Yeah, you know Behringer! ISA are very good pre's...
If you can't get a great sound with a decent mic and this ISA it's not the gear......!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sky ➑️
Hey Uncle Muscles, you made me register at Gearslutz and do my first post, cause comparing a neve Design to Behringer is absolute nonsense...
You signed up and composed your first post for this?

Classy...
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
I have THE 428 , REissue ISA110 and Bae 1073 . The focustrite stuff works quite well with my BAE stuff . There is no prob on it's quality or sound at all . I never understood the trashing of Focusrite .
I think it started with the introduction of the Platinum series (which used an entirely different design than the classic ISA/Red stuff), and people also seem to take issue with the newer ISA stuff not sounding exactly like the older stuff.

I've had a few of the Platinum pieces in my studio over the years, and while I've sold it all to buy better stuff (with the exception of the MixMaster, which I will likely never part ways with) I still wouldn't put the Platinum stuff in the same category as Behringer.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer ➑️
price?
According to this Β£699
Focusrite ISA Two Dual Mono Mic Pre | The Production Room
Old 21st March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor ➑️
$899 USD I take it??
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm Β£699? I'd rather take two ISA One's and have 2 pres and 2 di's at the same time with the option to add the A/D card for Β£100 more!
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But does it have an output transformer this time? The 428 didn't, and that's why it's not in my rack any more. The new ISA pres are a bottom octave away from being a really nice preamp. When I A/B'd mine to the original ISA110 we had way back, the 428 lacked the weight in the low end. Mids and highs we actually pretty close to my ears.
Old 21st March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening ➑️
But does it have an output transformer this time? The 428 didn't, and that's why it's not in my rack any more. The new ISA pres are a bottom octave away from being a really nice preamp. When I A/B'd mine to the original ISA110 we had way back, the 428 lacked the weight in the low end. Mids and highs we actually pretty close to my ears.
No it does not...

I'll be looking into finding a way to mod it.
But I'll leave the first ISA2 alone and mod the second ISA2.

Edit:
But, come to think about it that the reason I like the ISA's sound. I get that thicker sound with my LA610mkll, Vintech, Modded Pre73mkll, and all the other Pre's that have output trannys.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➑️
Hmm Β£699? I'd rather take two ISA One's and have 2 pres and 2 di's at the same time with the option to add the A/D card for Β£100 more!
Can you even buy the ISA One without the AD card?

Focusrite - ISA One analog inkl. digit.I/O Mic/Line Pre inkl. Dig.Option : Mic/Line amps / channel strips

439 Euro with the AD card, it's cheaper to buy two ISA One Digital than one ISA Two.
Old 21st March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
Can you even buy the ISA One without the AD card?

Focusrite - ISA One analog inkl. digit.I/O Mic/Line Pre inkl. Dig.Option : Mic/Line amps / channel strips

439 Euro with the AD card, it's cheaper to buy two ISA One Digital than one ISA Two.
Yes you can.. $499 USD.
I like the ISA two, it's gonna work good for me..
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
you gonna buy even if it's less thicker than what you mentionned ?
Old 21st March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
you gonna buy even if it's less thicker than what you mentionned ?
I already have "thicker/colored" pre's. I need a transparent Pre's now...
Old 22nd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️

Exactly! This would get my money!
Old 22nd March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➑️
I already have "thicker/colored" pre's. I need a transparent Pre's now...
i will not qualify it transparent (like an ssl or grace design) but super precise !!! feed him with a nice tube mic : perfect combo !!

gotta try once by the way spl's ...if anybody got some , feedback welcome here
Old 22nd March 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
i will not qualify it transparent (like an ssl or grace design) but super precise !!! feed him with a nice tube mic : perfect combo !!

gotta try once by the way spl's ...if anybody got some , feedback welcome here
Ok jeezo..
I'm pretty familiar with Mic-Pre's.. Thank you. Working on building SC-1's from Five Fish Audio.. Transparent 100%...
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i was just giving my feeling about .....of course you have another ...guess what , because you're not me

And be sure i give you credit simply because i was asking for your input ....and by saiying (me) more precise than transaparent was because some may think transaparent = lifeless

Back on topic ...
πŸ“ Reply