The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New RME Fireface UCX on NAMM!
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
New RME Fireface UCX on NAMM!

RME Audio will show its new Fireface UCX interface on upcoming NAMM.

All technical details and pictures on RME web-site today:
RME: Fireface UCX

Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks great!
I shall now wait for an upgrade of the UFX (with remote) before making a purchase.
It was between the ULN8 and UFX and if they add the remote of this product to the UFX, I think it's an easy choice for me.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't understand why Rme never release something like indigo expresscard or pmcia i/o ( 2 output, 2 input, headphones output.) small, portable, great for live with low latency and stability drivers should be sold like hot cookies.
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Price???

Price??? Look at those latency times!
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Looks great! Im still waiting for the next UFX though. Need the ins and outs and i want some thunderbolt action
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why do you need thunderbolt when the RME drivers are doing all the io already anyway?
This new box looks great for those that don't need the Ufx io. I have a baby face for my Lora rig and it's amazing. So much so that I've thought about selling my ff800 and getting another.. Now this new box could be the go.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well i dont really need a new interface, but that would be the point for me to upgrade, going with the newest technology. Im willing to wait another year
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
i get what you mean though, i would imagine it would open the possibility of lower latency with thunderbolt as computer power increases.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lower than 14 samples? The CPU will help with getting those results however the driver already supports this latency. Thunderbolt won't make you her any quicker.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thats meant read, Hear!
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
hhmm true! So how much is thing going to cost?
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, this is just the perfect interface for me! UFX is more than I need, larger and more expensive (i guess). Hope the price is right, then I'll save up for it.

Won't get it too soon tho', as I just got a new Babyface (returning a Duet 2) just a few weeks ago. I'm really liking it and RME so far (except a tiny loss of bass on the way in) but I would love more ins/outs and no preamps in the signal path on most channels, plus i guess more headroom in/out.

Since I like to use analog delays/reverbs/comps/EQs/Moog filter etc. it's a bit pain with 2 in/out. And I don't want to put money in another converter via ADAT through Babyface limited to 44.1 with 8 channels, I like to use 96.

Good news tho', as the Metric Halo is way expensive in my country.
Old 19th January 2012 | Show parent

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx ➡️
Lower than 14 samples? The CPU will help with getting those results however the driver already supports this latency. Thunderbolt won't make you her any quicker.
But the 14 samples latency is meant for the converters only!

The spec says:
ADC 14 samples
DAC 07 samples

The converter latency adds to the driver latency, and they say the Fireface 400 had 4 time the converter latency!
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd be interested in UK street price on one of these!
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Already reviewed in the latest SOS:

Product Review - RME Fireface UCX
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️

The spec says:
ADC 14 samples
DAC 07 samples

The converter latency adds to the driver latency, and they say the Fireface 400 had 4 time the converter latency!
Exactly. I would expect it to perform the same as the UFX in regards to low latency performance witch is really excellent for a firewire device. A thunderbolt interface should improve this even further and make it perform equal or better than their PCIe interfaces. Would be nice if they made a thunderbolt version of this next year when the technology is available on new PC's.

This looks like a great interface for those like me that want a low latency mobile card with quality converters but don't need all the i/o of the UFX. The class compliance for iPad is a great innovation that may open some doors. RME is on top of things.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➡️
Already reviewed in the latest SOS:

Product Review - RME Fireface UCX
Great! Look forward to pick that up when I pick up a copy!
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Head

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ooo so I mini UFX. I have the UFX and love it. It's a shame that the UCX comes with the remote control and my UFX didn't :(. I think the remote retails for something ridiculous like $200-300.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
US price?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➡️
Looks great!
I shall now wait for an upgrade of the UFX (with remote) before making a purchase.
It was between the ULN8 and UFX and if they add the remote of this product to the UFX, I think it's an easy choice for me.
If you look here: RME: Remote Control

you can see that the Remote Control is a separate purchase, and that the UFX remote support is already in place. It is supported back to a certain serial number. UFX units built before that need a non-free factory upgrade.

Hope that helps.
Old 19th January 2012

🎧 15 years
I wish it has front panel recording (i.e. DURec).
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hope it costs under £800. Don't need the extra io from the ufx, just the quality of whats already there!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➡️
Hope it costs under £800. Don't need the extra io from the ufx, just the quality of whats already there!
The Sound on Sound review quotes 999£ VAT incl. I wish it was less expensive.
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah but wondering if £999 is rrp or street?
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear
999.00 English pounds is $1408 Aussie Dollars,however the UFX here is anywhere from $2,355 to $2,700.

The UC is listed at 749 pounds,at http://www.dv247.com [$1,113.46 conversion],but well into AUD $1,200 + here.

I'm guessing the UCX wil be $1,500+[I hope not,I'm sick of paying wayyy more than the UK and US].

Any bets on who will stock the new UCX,here "FIRST" in +20% land?

Anyway the UCX,looks the bizz,and way more interesting than the previously lusted Babyface[although,Im still obsessed with owning one,I wonder if this means the baby prices will get better?]

I suggest you buy a truckload "Vin",and beat all the others to the punch!
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting. I´ve been looking for something that can replace my ageing Motu Traveler and this seems to have the features I need. Looks like its´s time to save up some money.
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DV247 has them at £1,199. :(

Think i'd rather save up and look at the UFX or possibly the new Apollo.
Old 20th January 2012

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Im surprised they didnt go for a ThunderFace TB interface like UA and Apogee, would have been good to see more stuff coming for TB and we all know that if RME do release a TB interface in the future it will be rock solid heh
Old 20th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf25 ➡️
Im surprised they didnt go for a ThunderFace TB interface like UA and Apogee, would have been good to see more stuff coming for TB and we all know that if RME do release a TB interface in the future it will be rock solid heh
It surprises you that a technology is /not/ used that only exists on very few computers, costs a fortune (50 EUR for the cable alone), is badly documented by its inventor and costs even more if you want a pass-through port (so you can still connect a display on a Macbook for example)?

Not to mention that the performance differences between PCIe, USB and FW are close to non-existent when your computer's USB/FW ports work properly.

And in case you did not notice: One of the features is that you can use its USB connection to directly connect it to any USB compliant aware computer, including the iPad or any Linux PC.
Old 20th January 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️

The spec says:
ADC 14 samples
DAC 07 samples

Not sure if I should be sad since I ORDERED A UFX FROM SWEETWATER YESTERDAY Not a big deal (I want the extra i/o and usb record)BUT the UCX beats the UFX on DA latency - 7 samples - are you kidding!! What are they smoking in Germany these days.

At this pace of innovation, ADA latency will officially be non-issue within 5 years (as in a small fraction of a ms full ada including all buffers to and from computer). Confirms my decision to go all digital - tracking, fx, mix.
📝 Reply