Elysia Xpressor
Old 7th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz ➡️
juhuuuuu heh heh heh

I am close to order a Xpressor500, but then I'll wait. Even if it's very probably not going to be another compressor from them. You never know what you could miss
I know what you mean. All of a sudden I'm not spending any money until after the announcement!

Regards,
Frank
Old 7th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
I know what you mean. All of a sudden I'm not spending any money until after the announcement!

Regards,
Frank
If you drop me a PM telling me what the new box is I may order one or the Xpressor500 today. And I swear to all the Gearslutz Gods that I won't tell anyone anything
Old 14th May 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
oh baby oh baby oh baby!

awesome work guys!

just got the new nvelope in today: )~
sweet sweet sweet!

elysia
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
gimmie
Old 15th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Around 2 minutes into the video, I was already tuning out. Fast forwarded and listened... nothing revolutionary there. Kind of disappointed after all the hype. One thing about Elysia though, their product videos are tight and clean. Oh well.... whens the next big announcement?
manufacturer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley ➡️
Oh well.... whens the next big announcement?
Let's wait for the next Neve/1176/Pultec clone then.
No, please don't take the bait - just kiddin...

Never mind,
Dominik
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Around 2 minutes into the video, I was already tuning out. Fast forwarded and listened... nothing revolutionary there. Kind of disappointed after all the hype. One thing about Elysia though, their product videos are tight and clean. Oh well.... whens the next big announcement?
i am the first to admit i want to see a lot more in the 500 format, but let consider this is in the 500 format!

Ernest Buckley, may be it is not for you? for any understanding 500 format junkie it is! for anyone into this format this is a big new item, junkie or not, nothing else like this is available. at least not that i am aware of? is there? did i miss something?

i have always said not everything needs or should be in the 500 format but when a company can do it and do with quality and beauty, as elysia as done here, than WOW!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
i am the first to admit i want to see a lot more in the 500 format, but let consider this is in the 500 format!

Ernest Buckley, may be it is not for you? for any understanding 500 format junkie it is! for anyone into this format this is a big new item, junkie or not, nothing else like this is available. at least not that i am aware of? is there? did i miss something?

i have always said not everything needs or should be in the 500 format but when a company can do it and do with quality and beauty, as elysia as done here, than WOW!
I own a lunchbox so I appreciate what they do but I don`t find this of any interest. No biggie... and as I mentioned in previous posts concerning their compressor, this too seems to thin out the sound but thats an unfair "review" going on just from watching the video.

EB
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years

i lot of guy's are going mostly with the 500 format for space and ease of building their systems as they can. one unit at a time.

as such things like this nvelope are very welcome.

all cool!
Old 16th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I own a lunchbox so I appreciate what they do but I don`t find this of any interest. No biggie... and as I mentioned in previous posts concerning their compressor, this too seems to thin out the sound but thats an unfair "review" going on just from watching the video.
Have you ever tested the xpressor 500 or just watched the video?
If you hit the warm mode button there's nothing thin at all. Without the warm mode button it's just crystal clear.
Concerning the price-performance ratio there's no better stereo comp on the planet in this price range.
Old 17th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magucci ➡️
Have you ever tested the xpressor 500 or just watched the video?
If you hit the warm mode button there's nothing thin at all. Without the warm mode button it's just crystal clear.
Concerning the price-performance ratio there's no better stereo comp on the planet in this price range.
Have not tried it. From what I have heard, it does sound like a promising piece to acquire.
Old 28th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
21dbu Max in and out! Should I worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce ➡️
Elysia Now Shipping Xpressor Rack

New York City, NY – High-end studio signal processing company Elysia is showing their new 19” rack mounted Xpressor stereo compressor ($1499 MAP) for the first time in the US. Based on the extremely successful Xpressor 500 module for API 500 series, the new Xpressor rack adds a side chain circuit along with a superior linear power supply with a shielded toroidal transformer.

Its discrete circuitry runs in constant Class A mode, and was designed to provide superior audio quality combining a clear and open sound with an amazingly flexible amount of punch. Many of the unique features of the Elysia ‘flagship' products have been adopted by the Xpressor, such as Auto Fast attack mode, switchable release characteristics, and Warm Mode, which adds character and color to the signal. The Xpressor also provides a built-in side chain filter, Elysia's renowned gain reduction limiter and a mix control knob for onboard parallel compression.

The unit is perfect for stereo buss compression as well as processing individual signals, and is an ideal tool for approaching dynamics processing in creative ways.

Can it be used for mastering? Noticed in the Tech specs that she only handles 21dbu Max in and out. The chain Im building is at least 28dbu. So I'm worried it wont handle hot signals too well. Quite surprised as this compressor is highly regarded must make up bandwith with musicality? Maybe just in parrallel then so as not to strangle the song?
Am I worrying when I need'nt or have I got a point?
She could be the one for me
M.B.
Old 28th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlasterUK ➡️
Can it be used for mastering? Noticed in the Tech specs that she only handles 21dbu Max in and out. The chain Im building is at least 28dbu. So I'm worried it wont handle hot signals too well. Quite surprised as this compressor is highly regarded must make up bandwith with musicality? Maybe just in parrallel then so as not to strangle the song?
Am I worrying when I need'nt or have I got a point?
She could be the one for me
M.B.
Yes, of course!

It's very clean and very versatile. The flexible sidechain filter is very useable for mastering. It's a very fast compressor with a solid bottom and still remaining transparent able to capture all the nuances of your music.

Referring to your question about the "limited" headroom, I can say that I've never experienced a problem with that. I use an EQ with 27dBu headroom after my Expressor 500 and the combo does the job fine every time.

If you've a possibility to demo it then go for it and try it out.

Old 9th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

HI everybody ! Its 2021 , would you still buy the Xpressor , even now with these amazing plug-ins ?
Old 11th June 2021 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i would.
Old 11th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Have somebody compared the Xpressor to the Drawmer 1973 multiband compressor ? I am torn between these two on the master bus for hip-hop/trap mastering , heard low end is better on 73 , thanks
Old 12th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hool15 ➡️
HI everybody ! Its 2021 , would you still buy the Xpressor , even now with these amazing plug-ins ?
Yea just got the qube version it's great, sounds great and it's quite versatile. Also the build quality is top notch and the feeling of the knobs allows for easy fine tuning. I never really liked to use software comps due to lack of hands-on control.
📝 Reply