The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper 4 - by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Reaper 4 - by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials

Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper 4 Tutorials.

Reaper 4 Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaper 4 Explained - DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!

Kenny Gioia is back covering Cockos latest revision of Reaper! Reaper 4 has many new features and functions, as well as workflows. Don't worry though, "Reaper 4 Explained" covers it all from top to bottom, teaching you what you need to know to use Reaper 4 like a pro.

Kenny starts his in-depth coverage off with an introduction, project creation, templates, track management and window overviews. He then goes deeper covering recording, routing, editing, using folders, plug-ins, automation, rendering and exporting, MIDI, markers, mixing down and much, much more.

Reaper is now a full featured DAW being used by more and more people everyday. If you use Reaper 4 or want to start using it, this is the series to watch... Get "Reaper 4 Explained" today!

Product Hightlights

• 31 Tutorials / Over 7.5 Hours Total Runtime
• For all beginner to intermediate Cockos Reaper 4 users
• Tutorials written by multi-platinum selling producer Kenny Gioia
• Simple to use video control interface for Mac & PC
• Viewing Options: Online, Download, Disc, iDevice Streaming

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I watched the item FX sample video - great idea but you can do the in PT pretty easy - right click duplicate track and add the PI - do your X fade (or not) - deleted the not needed audio regions - done.
But doing all in 1 track is pretty slick.
Show me 2 things I can't do in PT Kenny!!
BTW great videos Kenny!
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Kenny,
How extensively do you cover Item editing? I just want to compare them to Samplitude’s Object editing. So far, the fact that Item fx have their own wet/dry knob is making it very impressive, I’d like to know how useful do you find Item fx and item editing in general in your productions.
Thanks
Old 25th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S ➡️
I watched the item FX sample video - great idea but you can do the in PT pretty easy - right click duplicate track and add the PI - do your X fade (or not) - deleted the not needed audio regions - done.
BTW great videos Kenny!
That's a nice workaround but not as good as having it on the same track.

What if you wanted to add 3 other plugins to the sound?

You have to have them on both tracks?

What if they needed to react together? Like a compressor or a dynamic filter?

You'd need to buss them. Not as elegant IMHO.

And what if you wanted it to crossfade to a filter, then to a chorus, then a flanger and then back to a filter?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great! Just got it. Can't wait to watch this.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast ➡️
Hi Kenny,
How extensively do you cover Item editing? I just want to compare them to Samplitude’s Object editing. So far, the fact that Item fx have their own wet/dry knob is making it very impressive, I’d like to know how useful do you find Item fx and item editing in general in your productions.
Thanks
I would say fairly extensively.

Item editing changes everything for me in how I work.

No more do I need to automate or process things early in the game. There are about 5 or 6 levels of volume control in Reaper.

So you can fix volume issues with item editing rather than running automation. Fix the SSS. Bring down a loud piece. Bring up a quiet piece.

And it's all in real-time so it can always be tweaked without committing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sweet! Just bought as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have so much respect for a man of Kenny's experience to not only explore new/different approaches in production but to actually go so damn in depth into it that he can release a massive tutorial like this.
Kudos to Kenny!

I think I'll be checking this out.
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
One of the coolest things with Kenny's videos (based on Mixing Rock and the Reaper v3 tutorials), is that it almost feels like you're attending a session. Great teaching skills, entertaining all the way and very well paced imo.

- Posted via one of those modern phone-thingamajigs.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➡️
I have so much respect for a man of Kenny's experience to not only explore new/different approaches in production but to actually go so damn in depth into it that he can release a massive tutorial like this.
Kudos to Kenny!

I think I'll be checking this out.
Just to be honest, I didn't set out to make this seven and a half hours long.

Reaper 3 was only four and a half.

But as I was doing it I just kept feeling the need to show more of the cool things that Reaper can do.

Thanks guys.
Old 25th August 2011
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Glad to know that Kenny keeps making tutorials! I am also looking forward to see the next Mixing [Genre] series!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Will purchase as soon as the old wallet allows it!
lxm
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
BTW great videos Kenny!
lol. thats alot of steps. 'easy'....erm i dunno bout that.

EDIT: while im here. Kenny, any plans for an advanced reaper tut?
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm ➡️

EDIT: while im here. Kenny, any plans for an advanced reaper tut?
Yes. Reaper Tips and Tricks got bumped in early July when I saw that Reaper 4 was being released.

The thing that's different about Reaper from most other DAWS is that they change it drastically and so fast.

My first Pro Tools title still works pretty much the same in Pro Tools 9.

If I hadn't released Reaper 4 Explained people would be buying Reaper 3 Explained and been very unhappy with their purchase. Too much has changed.

But Reaper Tips and Tricks is going right back in the queue.

Thanks
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:

1. Non-destructive volume editing without running automation. (and without using an extra track heh).

2. Change all the menus.

3. Change all the key commands. (I realize you can use Quickeys but you can't control nearly as much. For example, can you hit a key and mute track 5, 7, 9 and 11 without selecting them first?

4. EQ certain sections differently without extra tracks or automation. (De-Ess all the SSS, Low end filter on the pops)

5. Render different mixes while you're not in the room. (I can set Reaper up to bounce a regular mix, a vocal up, a vocal down, a TV track and an instrumental and get dinner while it does the work)

6. Bounce in faster than real-time. heh

7. Comp Vocals using key commands (1-8) to switch takes.

8. Snap to Grid. Which is not the same as using the Grid. In Pro Tools you have two choices. Grid or Slip. Nothing in between. And you have to pick one. In Reaper you can have it Snap as it gets closer to the Grid. Defined by pixels. So no switching modes.

9. Mouse Modifiers. Not even close. Every click, drag or double-click can be changed in Reaper. To a custom action or anything you can think of.

10. Themes and Layouts. Can you change the Theme in Pro Tools? Other than going back to Pro Tools 7? heh Can you move the pan to the top or bottom? See just really big meters or vertical channels?

Still love Pro Tools. Mixing in it as we speak. heh

But there's a ton of stuff I can do in Reaper that I can't do in Pro Tools.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey Kenny

So what is the main reason you still mixing in Pro Tools then?
Just curious

Love your videos
Old 26th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW ➡️
Hey Kenny

So what is the main reason you still mixing in Pro Tools then?
Just curious

Love your videos
Thanks.

Reasons:

Massey Compressor

Digi EQ III

TC MasterX

and this big anchor:

Old 26th August 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was waiting for this tutorial Kenny. Thank you. I just switch to Reaper from Pro Tools 8 M-Powered two weeks ago. I always felt that MP and LE version were too restricted for the todays DAWs price and the highly competitive, growing market. I was not able to make your multi-track beat detective tricks for multi-mics drums or trim mode automation tips in my poor Pro Tools version and that frustrated me. I felt that Avid was just trying to take my money for an upgrade or production toolkit. Not only software restrictions but hardware with 8 version. Well, not anymore hardware restriction with PT 9 but they still limited software and set the price a way more expensive. I just get tired of Avid bad strategies for a "standard industry software". It is like having 3 microsoft office excels versions. In the MP version of that excel your limit is the 20th row and Z column with only Windows XP. The LE with 70th row and BA column only with Vista and the HD excel version with no limits and only with Windows 7. Reaper excel version is only one software and has no limits and runs in W98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, MAC, 32 bit, 64 bit. This software "sounds" more standard for me.

I found out that Reaper just give me all kind of features and more for only US$60 and a 5 MB download. Developers of Reaper are more focused in customer service. They saw an opportunity to satisfy new producers and musicians needs. You can do anything in Reaper. It is just like they say: REAPER, Audio Production Without Limits. That slogan caught my attention. In this new world you can't have restrictions like Avid does, everything is collaboration and shareness. They way you can comp and listen vocals or takes in Reaper, phase shift without inserting plug-ins, 32 bit and higher WAV bit depth, customize option for skins and keyboard shortcuts, navigations options, regions feature for arranging your song quickly, track folders and track templates, Fx chain templates, FX in items with fades, trim mode automation, snaps to grid all options, routing capabilities for headphone mixes, masters and slaves grouping, region grouping, MIDI recording and editing more easy, real time properties for MIDI, elastic audio... is just way better to be ignored for the price and the size of these amazing low CPU usage software.

Justin Frankel mix the best of all DAWs and put them in one small and stable application. Reaper is not crashing like PT8 does sometimes with unknown DAE errors . My cubase used to do the same without a message. I realize that it been two weeks with Reaper and have not crashed yet and I didn't open my PT again. Reaper will be the best DAW out there in a very few years, for me it is now. People just need to discover it. Reaper only need diffusion but not big paid media campaign but diffusion by us. All DAWs almost do the same, they need to be difference in the workflow settings. The amazing thing in Reaper is that you can create and customize your own. DAWs is not as important as your techniques knowledge and your ears. But a customized DAW is the way to go for quick recording settings, editing and mixing. We will be less technicians and more creative and musicians. But that implies a learning curve. I don't want Reaper looks and works like PT, I want Reaper looks and works the way I want. And that can be done with a little help from my frieds (Kenny Gioia and Groove 3, RogetMusic vids on youtube and TutorialsForReaper.com).

I'm still in the learning process of Reaper but I think it worth the time invested. I watched your Reaper 3 explained and start loving more Reaper. Now I'm buying this new tutorial. I hope to do all in Reaper, from recording, editing, mixing and mastering. I will miss some RTAS plug-ins but the world is full of high quality VSTs.

Please, give us Tips and Tricks Series for Reaper. I know a lot of people waiting for it. I imagine the routing capabilities, drums editing, elastic audio, tips and tricks you can teach us with Reaper. Your tutorials are the best in the market. Mixing rock, pop production and tips and tricks are just awesome.I've watched and learned all of them. Thank you.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanra Ortiz ➡️
I was waiting for this tutorial Kenny. Thank you. I just switch to Reaper from Pro Tools 8 M-Powered two weeks ago. I always felt that MP and LE version were too restricted for the todays DAWs price and the highly competitive, growing market. I was not able to make your multi-track beat detective tricks for multi-mics drums or trim mode automation tips in my poor Pro Tools version and that frustrated me. I felt that Avid was just trying to take my money for an upgrade or production toolkit. Not only software restrictions but hardware with 8 version. Well, not anymore hardware restriction with PT 9 but they still limited software and set the price a way more expensive. I just get tired of Avid bad strategies for a "standard industry software". It is like having 3 microsoft office excels versions. In the MP version of that excel your limit is the 20th row and Z column with only Windows XP. The LE with 70th row and BA column only with Vista and the HD excel version with no limits and only with Windows 7. Reaper excel version is only one software and has no limits and runs in W98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, MAC, 32 bit, 64 bit. This software "sounds" more standard for me.

I found out that Reaper just give me all kind of features and more for only US$60 and a 5 MB download. Developers of Reaper are more focused in customer service. They saw an opportunity to satisfy new producers and musicians needs. You can do anything in Reaper. It is just like they say: REAPER, Audio Production Without Limits. That slogan caught my attention. In this new world you can't have restrictions like Avid does, everything is collaboration and shareness. They way you can comp and listen vocals or takes in Reaper, phase shift without inserting plug-ins, 32 bit and higher WAV bit depth, customize option for skins and keyboard shortcuts, navigations options, regions feature for arranging your song quickly, track folders and track templates, Fx chain templates, FX in items with fades, trim mode automation, snaps to grid all options, routing capabilities for headphone mixes, masters and slaves grouping, region grouping, MIDI recording and editing more easy, real time properties for MIDI, elastic audio... is just way better to be ignored for the price and the size of these amazing low CPU usage software.

Justin Frankel mix the best of all DAWs and put them in one small and stable application. Reaper is not crashing like PT8 does sometimes with unknown DAE errors . My cubase used to do the same without a message. I realize that it been two weeks with Reaper and have not crashed yet and I didn't open my PT again. Reaper will be the best DAW out there in a very few years, for me it is now. People just need to discover it. Reaper only need diffusion but not big paid media campaign but diffusion by us. All DAWs almost do the same, they need to be difference in the workflow settings. The amazing thing in Reaper is that you can create and customize your own. DAWs is not as important as your techniques knowledge and your ears. But a customized DAW is the way to go for quick recording settings, editing and mixing. We will be less technicians and more creative and musicians. But that implies a learning curve. I don't want Reaper looks and works like PT, I want Reaper looks and works the way I want. And that can be done with a little help from my frieds (Kenny Gioia and Groove 3, RogetMusic vids on youtube and TutorialsForReaper.com).

I'm still in the learning process of Reaper but I think it worth the time invested. I watched your Reaper 3 explained and start loving more Reaper. Now I'm buying this new tutorial. I hope to do all in Reaper, from recording, editing, mixing and mastering. I will miss some RTAS plug-ins but the world is full of high quality VSTs.

Please, give us Tips and Tricks Series for Reaper. I know a lot of people waiting for it. I imagine the routing capabilities, drums editing, elastic audio, tips and tricks you can teach us with Reaper. Your tutorials are the best in the market. Mixing rock, pop production and tips and tricks are just awesome.I've watched and learned all of them. Thank you.
Thank you very much.

Thoughts like yours make it all worth it.

And yes. I forgot. You can work with any file type in Reaper. Not just WAVs and AIFs.

So I can upload my session to someone using all mp3 versions of my files so he/she can get working in minutes. Not hours. They can record their keeper parts as high quality WAV files (working alongside my mp3s) and send just those back to me.

Try that in Pro Tools. Convert Convert Convert. heh
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i bought the reaper 3 guide maybe 3 weeks ago. is it possible to upgrade without paying the full price again?
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba ➡️
i bought the reaper 3 guide maybe 3 weeks ago. is it possible to upgrade without paying the full price again?
That's a question for Groove 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadoyle ➡️
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their support. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us directly at support (at) groove3.com, as that will be the fastest way to get in touch with us.

We are currently running a special price of $29.99.

Thanks again for the support and don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or need anything.

Asa
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just bought Reaper 3 Explained like two months ago (having planned to get Reaper 3), haven't yet set up my studio, and now Reaper 4 is out.

Any chance I can swap Explained 3 for Explained 4? I also bought the DVD. Haven't watched any of the videos, even though I did download the non-dvd version to my computer already.

If not, it's cool, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, since I'm sure you could check and verify when I purchased it.

Thanks,

Dakhil
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for the support. If you have any questions on discounts, please email us directly at support at groove3.com . We currently have the title on sale for, $29.99, 25% off the normal price. We do have some special pricing in place for those who ordered after August 5th as well, so karumba, please do email. We always try to help where we can.

Thanks again for your support everyone!

All the best
Asa
Old 27th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Thanks Downloading now..
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper 4 Tutorials.

Reaper 4 Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

Reaper 4 Explained - DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!

Kenny Gioia is back covering Cockos latest revision of Reaper! Reaper 4 has many new features and functions, as well as workflows. Don't worry though, "Reaper 4 Explained" covers it all from top to bottom, teaching you what you need to know to use Reaper 4 like a pro.

Kenny starts his in-depth coverage off with an introduction, project creation, templates, track management and window overviews. He then goes deeper covering recording, routing, editing, using folders, plug-ins, automation, rendering and exporting, MIDI, markers, mixing down and much, much more.

Reaper is now a full featured DAW being used by more and more people everyday. If you use Reaper 4 or want to start using it, this is the series to watch... Get "Reaper 4 Explained" today!

Product Hightlights

• 31 Tutorials / Over 7.5 Hours Total Runtime
• For all beginner to intermediate Cockos Reaper 4 users
• Tutorials written by multi-platinum selling producer Kenny Gioia
• Simple to use video control interface for Mac & PC
• Viewing Options: Online, Download, Disc, iDevice Streaming

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.

Love your Protools Tutorials.. Hate Reaper. The most confusing and non-inspiring software I have ever used.

Do the Tutorials on Studio One Pro (IMO the most intuitive Software on the Planet) and I am game...
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
That's funny.. I've seen Reaper pull guys up who hated the DAW world and give them life again...

I love it.. You don't have to that's cool..
But it's fired me up after years on Pro Tools and Cubase..
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➡️
Love your Protools Tutorials.. Hate Reaper. The most confusing and non-inspiring software I have ever used.
I'm thinking the confusion part led to the non-inspired part?

Can't blame you. Learning a DAW for guys like us is rarely a fun experience at first. Our brain wants everything to work differently. In my case, like Pro Tools.

But now that I know both, I see the benefit of each.

I would be really surprised if anyone learned how to use Reaper (hint hint heh) and still found it "confusing and non-inspiring".

But just like learning how to type using the "home row", you have to take a few steps back before taking a leap forward.

Good luck.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
25 Ghosts: I used to be just like you until I saw Kenny's Reaper 3 explained. Afler only a few minutes I was like: Hmm... interesting, then by the time I was halfway throught the tutorial, I was like...wowow wow Genius! My old DAW couldn't do this and that...can't wait to try Reaper!

And...I've been a Reaper fan ever since. It hasn't let me down so far.

PS: I have access to all major DAWs, neither of which feels better than Reaper.

Try and give Reaper another chance (but watch Kenny's tutorials first). You might have a change of heart.

As for Studio One...it's good, but Reaper's better!

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Watching it now..while I wait for Hurricane Irene..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
But just like learning how to type using the "home row", you have to take a few steps back before taking a leap forward.

Good luck.
Somebody's been taking typing lessouns...heh
📝 Reply