The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper 4 - by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials
Old 9th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kenny,
Would be great if in your next tutorial you’d include some of your favorite Reaper FX chains:
vocals/male/female, drums, acoustic guitar (fingerpicking and strumming), general and specialized ambience creation etc., etc.
Many years ago, I used to buy Photoshop sessions from different artists just to see how they were getting their results and I’ve learned a lot from those files. Just a thought.
Cheers,
Old 9th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast ➡️
Kenny,
Would be great if in your next tutorial you’d include some of your favorite Reaper FX chains:
vocals/male/female, drums, acoustic guitar (fingerpicking and strumming), general and specialized ambience creation etc., etc.
Many years ago, I used to buy Photoshop sessions from different artists just to see how they were getting their results and I’ve learned a lot from those files. Just a thought.
Cheers,
I like it.
Old 11th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Downloaded and tried out Reaper 3 for about 2 weeks back in July. Loved it and purchased it. Found KG's (Reaper 3) tutorial vid on Groove3 and purchased that as well. Excellent tutorial. Just purchased (and currently downloading) KG's Reaper 4 tutorial vid. Looking forward to viewing it. Reaper is now the DAW software of choice at our studio.

Thanks KG!
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you're using Reaper, Kenny's videos are a must have, plain and simple. Downloading R4 explained from Groove 3 right now.

Can't wait to have a Reaper tips 'n 'tricks explained of some sort.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agreed. As a non-power user of Reaper, I found the video tutorials extremely helpful!! Very highly recommended.

Cheers!
bManic
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Reaper 4 Explained reviewed

I wrote this li'l review specifically from the perspective of someone looking to switch DAW's, where Reaper 4 Explained (and briefly also its predecessor, Reaper 3 Explained) was used to facilitate a thorough capability estimation of the application itself, Reaper 4. Sorry for the length of it, feel free to skip to the last paragraph for the summary.

<Ahem.>

After my last couple of mix projects, I realized my beloved Logic had - for numerous reasons - turned into a giant buzzkiller for me, and with the joy all but gone, the need to sort this out once and for all became imminent.

I had heard many horror stories about Reaper's requirement of endless tweaking/too many options, non-reliant compatibility with third party plugins, lack of professional support et cetera, but the Reaper crowd were very vocal in their support so I surfed over to Cockos' website to see what the fuzz was really all about. At an admittedly prejudiced glance, learning Reaper soon seemed an almost unsurmountable task without investing some serious time. In short, my Grumpy Attitude Hat™ was firmly in place.

Having seen Kenny Gioia's Mixing Rock tutorial in the past - finding it both educational and entertaining enough to watch the whole way through - I noticed he'd also done one on Reaper. I decided to buy and watch it before even downloading the Reaper installer. I figured that if this video wouldn't convince me of the benefits, the time saved would very much be worth the $30 prize of admission, and I'd finally end up with Pro Tools after all.

First of all, and in my opinion this soon turned out to be R4E's most prominent feature: Kenny's the perfect teacher for this medium. Just like in Mixing Rock, everything's concise and to the point the whole way through, and the whole arrangement is very pedagogically organized. As with life in general, as long as you're up to speed on your caffeine intake, you'll be fine. And should you miss anything, the power of the medium lets you simply rewind 30 seconds and watch it again.

Early on, it becomes evident that Reaper is no slouch, and about a quarter in it dawned on me how much info Kenny actually manages to convey during each segment. Even the initial chapters, covering such adrenaline-pumping topics as Tracks & The Track Manager, and New Projects & Templates (the fundamental basics which all deceitfully hinted towards being boring and skippable at first), are smack-full of useful bits which will definitely speed up your immediate workflow if you're as new to Reaper as I am.

As the chapters passed, I found myself not only agreeing with the operational setup Cockos has implemented here, but also asking myself why so much of this stuff never made it into Logic? I couldn't have dreamed of having access to some of the possibilities offered here before, yet these just-discovered gems of flexibility suddenly merges effortlessly into the new workflow. To paraphrase Louis C.K.; "What you didn't even know existed 10 seconds ago, now you can't live without."

All this said about flexibility and potential, prior to getting my hands on Kenny's video, I browsed through the official PDF manual (available from here) and for me that only helped ascertain the fact that Reaper can indeed come off as way too much to handle; the configuration possibilities of Reaper 4 borders on insanity (it felt eerily similar to when going up against Logic's Environment the first few times), and I fully understand why many just give up on it altogether before really giving it a fair try. The flexibility on offer here comes at the potentially steep cost in dedicating time to go down the proverbial rabbit hole, learning the ins and outs and tinkering under the hood to get everything as streamlined to your own liking as possible.

From this perspective alone, I strongly recommend Reaper 4 Explained. I also advise those watching it to keep the Reaper application open in the background while following each chapter in the tutorial. There are a lot of preferences and shortcuts you'll probably want to configure as soon as they are introduced, as it becomes increasingly difficult to keep track of every parameter mentioned, especially if you're watching the whole thing in one big chunk. Personalizing important settings and behaviors in Reaper at an early stage made my own transition much more enjoyable once it was time to start working with it, and definitely saved me a lot of frustration up ahead. I also found that PDF much easier to use as a reference after spending time with the video. Things just kind of clicked better.

Content-wise, you're pretty much covered. Apart from the bare essentials, I'm fairly certain R4E will inspire even current and seasoned Reaper users with the many tips and tricks presented during these 31 chapters. The sheer length of this video might seem a bit daunting at first (it sure did to me), but I can honestly say there is no filler material here. Actually, after having watched through it all, it's nothing short of mindblowing how all this pertinent good stuff fits in there in only seven and a half hours, while managing to retain the viewer's interest with seemingly no effort at all.

This video managed to successfully remove every single doubt I had about migrating to Reaper from Logic, and I can assure you I had plenty of doubts. After operating almost exclusively in Logic for about 6 years, there are bound to be workflow specifics that need some rethinking and adapting to when changing hosts. But rather than to agonize about it, I'm now looking forward to leaving much of those old ways behind me. I believe that this video could actually serve as Reaper's best sales pitch for those skeptical yet curious. It sure worked on me, although seven and a half hours sure make for one helluva pitch. To be honest, they had me less than halfway through.

Reaper 4 Explained is a great showcase for Reaper for those interested enough to dig in and learn something new, flawlessly hosted by a very talented teacher. Even at the non-discounted prize ($40), it's a bargain and a timesaver.

Sven
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 ➡️
I wrote this li'l review specifically from the perspective of someone looking to switch DAW's…

Sven
Wow. This may have been the best review I've ever had.

Thank you soo much for taking the time to write it.
Old 29th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just a quick bump and recommendation for Kenny's excellent video series. It really does a fantastic job of unlocking the power and depth of Reaper 4 in a very user friendly way. Thanks Kenny!
Old 26th April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Free ➡️
Just a quick bump and recommendation for Kenny's excellent video series. It really does a fantastic job of unlocking the power and depth of Reaper 4 in a very user friendly way. Thanks Kenny!
Thanks for the support.
Old 27th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Just wanted to mention that Groove3 is running a one week only sale on Reaper Tutorials:

Both Reaper Explained and Reaper Tips and Tricks are half price.

Reaper 4 Explained - Don't Fear the Reaper

Reaper Tips and Tricks

Along with the newly released (and also on sale)

Reaper Advanced - the SWS Extensions

Thanks for the support.
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Reaper Playback buffer question

Hi Mister Gioia!
Thanks for your Reaper video tutorials!

I have a question about the responsivity of Reaper aka the latency that occours when i hit play in Reaper.
It takes about 1-2 seconds before the audio starts.
With a big count of tracks that delay can increase significantly and this is really a problem!
Maybe do you have some tips for me ?

I'm on a 2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual-Core intel Xeon with Snow Leo
All in 32bit

Thaks a lot in advance
Greg
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorus.sound ➡️
Hi Mister Gioia!

I have a question about the responsivity of Reaper aka the latency that occours when i hit play in Reaper.
With a big count of tracks that delay can increase significantly and this is really a problem!

All in 32bit

Thaks a lot in advance
Greg
Something's wrong. My computer is much slower than yours with no noticeable latency no matter how many tracks I use.

I would ask the question here:

REAPER General Discussion Forum - Cockos Confederated Forums

Thanks for the support.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorus.sound ➡️
Hi Mister Gioia!

All in 32bit

Thaks a lot in advance
Greg
Sounds too severe to be a buffer size setting, but just to be sure: in Preferences -> Audio -> Device, is 'Request block size' ticked and if so, what number is it set to? If it's not checked, try ticking the box and set it to 256, then press OK.

Did the latency improve at all?
Old 12th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi borg64! Thanks for the reply!
Yes, it occours with that setting too ... but isn't the "Buffering" settings here the most decisive? Whats the best setting for a good responsiveness?
Thanx
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
'Request block size' corresponds to the buffer size setting of your audio interface. Setting it to a low value (e.g. 32, 64, 128 or 256) will keep latency on the lower side of things, but your CPU will struggle more to keep up, especially if you're using hungry plugins while recording (if so, freezing those CPU-intensive tracks before you record will free up CPU, allowing for lower block size settings and thus, less latency). If set high (e.g. 512, 1024, 2048), your latency/input delay will increase but your CPU will be able to handle more processing before it starts straining.

When recording, I set my block size as low as possible. When mixing, where low latency isn't as important to me and I prefer more CPU power, I set it higher.

I don't think I ever changed the Buffering settings, you should be fine with the recommended stuff there.

What sound card/audio interface are you using?

Sven
Old 12th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi Sven!
Yeah, i know all the stuff about the interface buffer, but my problem is the playback delay!
My interface is the Metric Halo 2882
Thanks
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ooops, my apologies.

No idea if this helps, but here's my Buffering settings just for reference.

Sven

Reaper 4 - by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials-buffering.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Reaper 4 - by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials-buffering.jpg  
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks Sven!
But I tried out all the possible settings! No Way!
Lowering down too much media buffer sizes and/or prebuffer they are drop outs!

Thanks
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Strange! So, there must be something else going on here. More random thoughts:

Do you get big delays in responsiveness even if only using a few audio files and no plugins, or does the latency build up slowly as the project gets 'heavier'?

Have you tried reinstalling Reaper?

Do you see high CPU usage Reaper's Perfomance Meter (Option+CMD+P) when the system starts lagging?

Could it be a hard drive starting to wear out?

Sorry, that's all I got for now. Coffee's working slowly today.

Sven
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks again Sven

I'll try out all these things more accurately ... ;-)

Let you know
📝 Reply