The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blackspade UM25
Old 9th August 2011
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Blackspade UM25

Quote:
Based on the positive response for the UM17 microphone, Blackspade asked AMI to create a second large diaphragm condenser microphone for their line of microphones. Inspired by the historic Ela M250/251 microphones to provide a distinctly different flavor for their UM series, the result is the Blackspade Acoustics UM25.

The first challenge was to find a capsule that would be in the same sonic area as the historic CK12 that was custom made for the 251. One big factor to the sound of an historic 251 is the split capsule design with its resonance chambers. This type of capsule has historically been very difficult to replicate, but with the help of a well reputed capsule manufacturer in Asia we custom created the CK25 especially for the UM25, based on the original historic Telefunken blueprints. With a new resonance concept that is now easier to manufacture with more consistent results, the capsule still produces the very distinct sound of the resonator plates found in the historic CK12 capsules. The porting has been enlarged and the thickness of the backplate slightly enhanced to offset the slightly different resonator design.

The result is a split dual backplate design that is edge fed with a resonator that can be made for a more reasonable cost than the original CK12 design without straying too far from the classic 251 tone. In the Blackspade UM25, the polarity patterns are produced the same way as in the historic 251; a triple pole triple throw switch, that is remote controllable from the PSU.

This gives the UM25 a brilliant sound in the omni setting, a strong vocal set up in cardioid as well as a figure of eight pattern with a minimum of noise and maximum of sensitivity. To pair with the new CK25 capsule, we selected a Telefunken NOS tube capable of driving the tone into the area of the classic 251. The tube is nearly identical in tonal response to the historic 6072a that was used in export models of the 251, and a 6072a can be swapped in without any modification. The amplifier circuit is an exact replica of the one used in the historic 251, and is handmade in the same spirit on plexi-glass boards with point to point wiring here in the US.

Our AMI T14 transformer ties the whole ensemble together into a microphone that delivers an accurate sound with a smooth high end. While the UM25 shares the same body tube, bottom bell and power supply housing as the UM17, everything else about the mic is different. The head basket is constructed like those of the historic 251 microphones, not only providing a different filtering response than the UM17 but also making it stand apart from its sibling. The finished result is the Blackspade Acoustics UM25, designed, assembled and tested by AMI.
Product Features:

Oliver Archut designed amplifier circuit
AMI T14 transformer manufactured in Gaylord, Kansas US
CK12 style capsule modified in the US
NOS Telefunken tubes (will be disclosed at product launch)
Point to point wiring
Power Supply w/30 ft Gotham GAC-7 tube interconnect cable
Shock Mount and wind sock
Flight Case
Assembled, burned in and tested in the US
5-year limited warranty on all components except the tube which has a 6-month warranty, customer pays for shipping

Product Specs:

Type: Condenser pressure gradient
CK25 Capsule: 34mm, CK12 style, dual-sided gold sputtered
Polar Patterns: Remote 3-position switch; Cardioid, Figure 8 and Omni
Frequency Range: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
Impedance: 200Ω

Shipping Late September
MAP is $1899
Attached Thumbnails
Blackspade UM25-um25-body.jpg   Blackspade UM25-um25prodprotoweb.jpg   Blackspade UM25-um25m251testweb.jpg   Blackspade UM25-um25capsuleweb.jpg  
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Does the $1899 price include a power supply?
Old 9th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Couzzi ➑️
Does the $1899 price include a power supply?
Yes!

Joe Hauck
AMI, Inc.
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks great! I can't wait to hear some clips.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
can't wait to hear it!
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
At first I thought "Oh noes, not another LDC..." but when I read what went into it and "Oliver Archut" - the guy knows his electronics. I guess this mic will be a pleasure to work with.
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm excited to try this out as well, also the price is very attractive.

Joey, I heard the capsule is a Cambell capsule that is slightly modified. Just curious if that's just a rumor? Hope you could clear that up for me.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This fetishwear is very attractive.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOcchialini ➑️
I'm excited to try this out as well, also the price is very attractive.

Joey, I heard the capsule is a Cambell capsule that is slightly modified. Just curious if that's just a rumor? Hope you could clear that up for me.
Hey Paul,

The capsule that comes in the stock unit is a Chinese capsule that has been built to our specifications and then modified by AMI in the US. Adam, who has the first production unit can weigh in on his thoughts about the capsule's performance.

With the UM17, Blackspade wanted to make a deluxe version and we all thought that using a Thiersch Mylar M7 was the obvious capsule upgrade choice for that mic. With the UM25, we will also make a deluxe version and we think the obvious choice for capsule upgrade is Tim Campbell's CT-12. Tim and Oliver have been speaking and there are some slight modifications that we are working on with him for the mic which will probably be named the UM25C. We don't have the final component list or price on that unit at this time but that will come together over the next month.

Joe Hauck
AMI, Inc.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The UM25 nails the ELAM pedigree, no question, [the CK25 capsule in this microphone is the real deal!!!] but also seems to be unique, with its own musical quality. This UM25 has a "gorgeous" brightness, with very groovy tube-magic, that gives the mic smoothness all over. It's one of those mic's that you can really vibe out singing into, and really work its "exacting, sharply refined elegance" that can breed the "peer into the source" definition, but forgivingly, without sharper edge and transient bluntness. Its really "enhancing" with its fidelity and this mic will shape performance, no question. So far, I love this thing, it sounds inspiring to me, regardless of any shiny objects or badges flying in front of my face. I am really happy that Blackspade, DID NOT continue to DIVE DEEP into expensive "fetish'ism" for the sake of ones "chest pumping"......and I think more importantly, they kept the price reasonable. To my ears, this system is VERY much punching over its weight class....
Old 11th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yep. Assuming the quality is within even the same universe as the Lucas stuff this should be amazing. I'm looking forward to giving one a serious listen.
Old 13th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhavoc ➑️
Hey Paul,

With the UM25, we will also make a deluxe version and we think the obvious choice for capsule upgrade is Tim Campbell's CT-12. Tim and Oliver have been speaking and there are some slight modifications that we are working on with him for the mic which will probably be named the UM25C. We don't have the final component list or price on that unit at this time but that will come together over the next month.

Joe Hauck
AMI, Inc.
Old 14th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Old 15th August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell ➑️
I don't know what that means but I think your capsule is absolutely stunning, keep up the great work and I look forward to hearing it in the premium version.
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ugh, why must I look at this forum. I feel like I'm already in debt from all the gear I haven't even purchased yet.
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Oh dear...daddy wants.
Old 15th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
John, another round?

Matti
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti ➑️
John, another round?

Matti
Yeah, probably... heh
You see the inside of that thing? Sexy...(oh, wait...wrong forum)

That's certainly no reflection on the Miktek CV4 - I really do love this thing. I've just got a thing for 251's, so I'll be interested in trying it out. I see my pusher is one of their dealers, so I really look forward to trying one out.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Actually IF I got some money I would like to have both of their mics, or 2 of each...

Matti
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Roc - is Mercenary gonna have these in stock? My dealer said they were just making 25 and taking pre-orders...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➑️
Roc - is Mercenary gonna have these in stock? My dealer said they were just making 25 and taking pre-orders...
Hi Johnkenn,

That's not quite accurate so I apologize if the information communicated out to the dealers wasn't as clear as it should have been.

Blackspade Acoustics and AMI have every intention of making this microphone an ongoing, in stock product. But we are being conservative about how we roll the microphone out. We started with a hand made prototype that was tested in studios in Europe. We then had our first production sample made which is what we've shown in the pictures and what is being sent around to various dealers to check out.

Making a golden sample is easy. Replicating it on a larger scale without any loss of quality is the hard part. That is why we are walking before we run. So yes, the first production run coming in will be a smaller production run but as soon as we see that the metal work was successfully replicated on a larger scale we'll place an order for a much larger production run.

Given the feedback and phone calls that we've been getting from our current and new dealers, the initial production run might run out. The plan will then be to review the metal work as soon as it comes and provided there are no issues, send out a PO for the next batch while we're building the first run in the US so that the lag time is minimized as much as possible.

Let me know if that clears things up.

Sincerely,

Joe Hauck
AMI, Inc.
Old 16th August 2011
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry John, can't say anything about that, as I am no longer employed by that shop.

However, DSPdoctor (my current shop) is a dealer for Blackspade Acoustics and AMI-TAB hardware.

Based on my recent experience testing this hardware, I am very sure it will be a fantastic option to recommend for my clients.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 16th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sorry, man! Didn't even notice that...You know when you will have availability? Do you offer a return policy if items don't float our boats?
Old 23rd August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...so I'll be interested in trying it out. I see my pusher is one of their dealers, so I really look forward to trying one out.
Hey Johnkenn,

We've arranged to have the UM25 production sample heading to Nashville in time for the Mix Nashville event which is September 23rd and 24th. You should be able to check it out in person!

Sincerely,

Joe Hauck
AMI, Inc.
Old 24th August 2011
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhavoc ➑️
Hey Johnkenn,

We've arranged to have the UM25 production sample heading to Nashville in time for the Mix Nashville event which is September 23rd and 24th. You should be able to check it out in person!

Sincerely,

Joe Hauck
AMI, Inc.
Excellent Joe..I have some clients out that way....I'll send them towards the mic!!

Anyway - just want mention that DSPdoctor does have a helpful return policy if the product does not work out for the end user. All the details are on our site. Please do let us know if we can help in anyway.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 25th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
UM25 Clips

Here are 43 clips of the Blackspade UM25:

Stone Cathedral: UM25 / Sony PCM D1
Female Vocal omni: 1 | 2

Large Room: PRS 513 Electric guitar / PV amp / UM25 / PCM D1 14 Clips (scroll down)

Small Room: UM25 / ADL600 / Rosetta 200 / Logic
Santa Cruz OM/PW Card: 1| 2 | Omni: 1 | 2 | Fig8: 1 | 2
Nylon-String Harp Guitar Card: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Omni: 1 | 2 | 3 | Fig 8: 1 | 2 | 3 |
VO Card English: 1 | Latin: 1 | German: 1

Large Room: UM25 / Tab Funkenwerk V78M / Echo Indigo IOX / MacBook Pro / Logic
Santa Cruz OM/PW card: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | omni: 1 | 2 | Fig 8: 1 | 2
Old 26th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Certainly not hyped on the top...very vintage sounding. The Santa Cruz sounds awesome with it. I'd love to hear a soundclip with close-mic'd vocals...
Old 27th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
UM25 Shoot-Out

Hi John: We're having a local UM25 demo / shoot-out next week at Wire Recording in Austin, TX on Wed., 8/31. We'll try to get some m + f vocal clips.
Old 27th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Awesome...
Old 4th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Somebody buy this thing before they endorse me and give me one free...

heh
πŸ“ Reply