The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steinberg releases Windows 7 drivers for Midex
Old 22nd August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBM ➑️
Unfortunately this new Midex8 Windows7 driver sucks big time!

*After installing the driver my Echo fire4 driver is wiped out of Cubase5 and all audio settings are gone (VST connections etc.)

*I had to reinstall de Echo driver again.

*Then it let's my computer suddenly shut down .

*Can't find any de installer, but removing the hardware (Windows option) and unplugging the Midex8 solved the problem.

Thanks for that info. When I get around to trying it on my Win7 system I'll be sure and uninstall the Echo midi driver first. Hopefully that will spare the headache of what you describe.
Old 23rd August 2011 | Show parent
FBM

🎧 10 years
No problem!

It's sht that I can't use it any more, because it was my favourite midi controller. That's probably why they don't support this update!

But after a while you get used to it when buying Steinberg stuff.

At the time I paid 789 German marks for it.
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Auch.. To bad I threw my Midex3 away a few years ago.
Old 23rd August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBM ➑️
No problem!

It's sht that I can't use it any more, because it was my favourite midi controller

Have you tried uninstalling the Echo midi driver? Back when I first got my Midex (years ago) I seem to recall having a problem that was solved by uninstalling another company's midi driver. I guess with 8 ports the Midex just assumes that it shouldn't have to share.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Works like a charm

I finally got around to building my new Win7 64bit system and the new Midex driver is working fine. Installed without a problem and is running perfectly alongside my AudioFire 12.

So... I guess on some systems it works and on others it doesn't. Cross your fingers and roll the dice.
Old 3rd November 2012

🎧 10 years
Hello there,
I am still on Windows XP 'cos of that but, I would like to go win7 32 bit.
Any luck/trick to make it work?
I would be very grateful
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From what I've heard on various forums (and my own experience) it works fine on Win7. Just give it a try.
Old 1st December 2012

🎧 10 years
Spargee, so sorry to let you wait for such a long time without giving you feedback.
First: Thank you for your help!
Second: I yesterday added a extra hard drive for dual boot XP & Win7.
Tryied to get my Midex 8 to run on win7 32 bit but... no luck.
Second step: Driver properties and run compatibility with win XP. I tryied to install the XP driver in the compatibility mode... did not work!
I am probably just missing a few steps. Can sameone explain to me a better way?
I did create a dual boot becouse I am waiting for Protools 10 to arrive+UAD card... Yes, I know, Protools again and again... I can help myself on this matter, I needed to go this way because I need to be compatible with other studios... but offcourse I prefer Nuendo! Anyone with microfone knowledge would have to go Steiny and avoid Protools. Try to do MS on Protools. I hope the 10 version its better but I heard allready that they still have some delay UNcompensation...
Anyway, can someone help me a bit with Midex 8 drivers for Win7 32bit?

My best regards
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wasn't aware that Steinberg had released Midex 8 drivers for Win7 32 bit. The only Win7 drivers I see on their website (and what I have experience with) is the Win7 64 bit driver.
MIDEX 8
Old 3rd December 2012

🎧 10 years
No, they did not released 32 bit drivers for the midex8.
The first time since a couple of years I did a google surch for Midex drives (last month) i was able to read some spots saying that Steinberg did released drivers for Win7 32 and 64 Bit. I got so happy! But i came around the conclusion that they did not released any 32 Bit drivers.
On Cubase forum, I came across some posts like this one from LERAS in jun 2010
"Ah! Actually, I did finally get this to work. It wasn't recognising upon install, but I was able to do into device manager and do a 'repair' option and it seemed to pick up the driver properly. Maybe it needed to be specifically installed as administrator... either way it does work in Win7 32bit. Ok, it's not 64 bit... but will do for now..."
I can't get in touch with this member but, I wondered if someone here got the same solution to work.
That was what i did asked in my very first post here. I see you didn't pay atention to my words ;-)
Never mind Spargee, no one does it but my dog... :-(

Anyone as a solution for me?
I definately want to stick with 32 bit OS for now...
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, actually yes I did see that you said you were on a 32 bit OS which is why I replied the way I did. I find it hard to believe that someone got a 64 bit hardware driver working in a 32 bit OS. It actually sounds quite impossible to me but not knowing anything about how Steinberg recoded their driver for an old device I wouldn't put it past them to have somehow bridged the old 32 bit driver rather than actually rewriting it. <shrug> This is all speculation on my part of course... but someone claiming to have gotten a 64 bit driver to run in a 32 bit OS leads me to say "I'll believe it when I see it".

I'm not trying to be negative. I wish you the best of luck in getting this to work, but if you cannot contact this person who claims to have made it work then you might want to consider other alternatives (e.g. upgrade your OS or get a different Midi interface). I love my Midex8 and actually delayed my upgrade to Win7 64bit because (at that time) the Midex8 wouldn't work with a 64 bit OS, so I can appreciate your situation. I've never had a more stable midi interface that works seamlessly with Cubase. I'm hoping that mine keeps running for a long time.

Again, good luck with your situation.
Old 3rd December 2012

🎧 10 years
Spargee!!
Thank you so much for your help. You did try i i am very gratfull for that.
You are right, no 64 bit drivers will get installed on OS 32 bit. I am like you in this matter: only believe if I see it with my own eyes :-)
Anyway, I came here to say that I found myself the way: IT IS WORKING! Just use the Midex 1.93 - 32 Bit driver and force it! It works marvelously! ;-)
I am now trying to see between UAD 1 compatibility issues...
Anyway Spargee, thank you!!

My best regards
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Installed Win7 32-bit this weekend and got my two Midex8 units installed with no issues using the last XP drivers, 1.9.3. Also mLan running great using the legacy FireWire driver selected in the Device Manager.

Yee Haw!
Old 7th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Little bit of a necro, apologies. However no point starting a new thread.
This isn't a driver question but a general Midex question.

I have a Midex8 and stopped using it years ago as I found the timing incredibly sloppy. Simply no comparison when using the MIDI directly out of my Profire 2626.

However, after researching it recently it appears the Midex still offers rock solid timing for you fella's. Any idea what I could be doing wrong then?

It's a WinXP PC, Cubase 4.5 and the Midex on it's own dedicated USB port.

Mucho gracias.
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's not a whole lot to fiddle with. I'm not aware of any firmware you can update. My experience with the Midex 8 has always been that it just works and is rock solid with every version of cubase that I've run. I assume you've tried using a different USB cable. Are you using the power cord or powering it via USB?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee ➑️
There's not a whole lot to fiddle with. I'm not aware of any firmware you can update. My experience with the Midex 8 has always been that it just works and is rock solid with every version of cubase that I've run. I assume you've tried using a different USB cable. Are you using the power cord or powering it via USB?
Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I've tried many USB cables with no change.

It is currently only USB powered, but I did enquire on another forum whether mains power would make any difference. A massive argument ensued and the final answer was it wouldn't.

Do you have a different opinion on this?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➑️

It is currently only USB powered, but I did enquire on another forum whether mains power would make any difference. A massive argument ensued and the final answer was it wouldn't.

Do you have a different opinion on this?
Well, it's possible that your USB port is supplying uneven power or even possible that the MIDex USB power transfer is buggy. If the MIDex is plugged into a USB hub then I would test it plugged directly into a port on your computer. Short of testing the MIDex with a different computer the only thing I can think of would be to try using an external power supply. My manual says it needs a power supply between 6 and 12 volts with a plug that has an outer diameter of 5.5mm and an inner diameter of 2.1mm. This is a pretty standard configuration. You can get them at Amazon for $5 USD or I imagine most any big store that has an electronics department.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, it's possible that your USB port is supplying uneven power or even possible that the MIDex USB power transfer is buggy. If the MIDex is plugged into a USB hub then I would test it plugged directly into a port on your computer. Short of testing the MIDex with a different computer the only thing I can think of would be to try using an external power supply. My manual says it needs a power supply between 6 and 12 volts with a plug that has an outer diameter of 5.5mm and an inner diameter of 2.1mm. This is a pretty standard configuration. You can get them at Amazon for $5 USD or I imagine most any big store that has an electronics department.
I run my Midex 8 USB-powered on a USB hub, and the USB hub is connected via a 15 foot USB extender. I'm running Cubase 8 64-bit on Win 7, and the Midex is rock-solid.

I agree with you, though, if I was having these problems the first thing I would try is an external power supply. I guess it's also possible that the Midex itself is flaky.
Old 8th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC ➑️
I run my Midex 8 USB-powered on a USB hub, and the USB hub is connected via a 15 foot USB extender. I'm running Cubase 8 64-bit on Win 7, and the Midex is rock-solid.
Out of curiosity; is your USB hub powered (i.e. does it have it's own power supply)? I don't imagine that the MIDex requires much power but I've had USB devices do wacky things when there's too much draw off of a hub though I've never run my MIDex off a hub.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Out of curiosity; is your USB hub powered (i.e. does it have it's own power supply)? I don't imagine that the MIDex requires much power but I've had USB devices do wacky things when there's too much draw off of a hub though I've never run my MIDex off a hub.
Yes, my USB hub is powered. But if I unplug it, the Midex still works fine.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
By the way, the RME UFX doesn't work off the hub, that's why I needed to get two USB extenders.
πŸ“ Reply