The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fractal Audio Axe-FX II
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hardware Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Sweet Mary Mother of God.....thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Fractal Audio and Atomic Amps - Axe-Fx Ultra and Standard - The Atomic Reactor Series - Axe-Edit Editor
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glad you started a thread for this. "Modeling" in general has a come a loooong way. I know plenty of people still prefer their tube gear but a great player can most certainly make a great sounding record with this.
Old 9th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But why the 48K only sample rate out the digital outs?

Where is the facepalm icon??

TH
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I want it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
But why the 48K only sample rate out the digital outs?

Where is the facepalm icon??

TH
I may be wrong, but aren't S/Pdif outputs limited to only 48khz sample rates? (same as ADAT light pipe)

They tweaked the poweramp response characteristics and released a firmware update for current Axe-FX owners so that it reacts like the Axe II, but unfortunately that's as far as the update goes. All the new features are in the new box.
I just loaded the firmware into my machine and it sounds really good. The sims took on a whole new dimension. I can only imagine what the new box with better preamp modelling can do.

I'll be putting my Axe FX for sale in the coming weeks.

I love it but I gotta have this new one. Gotta. Any Canadian slutz want to pick up a mint condition Ultra for a decent price? I'll pay the shipping and even throw in a Gator rack case heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 ➑️
I may be wrong, but aren't S/Pdif outputs limited to only 48khz sample rates? (same as ADAT light pipe)

They tweaked the poweramp response characteristics and released a firmware update for current Axe-FX owners so that it reacts like the Axe II, but unfortunately that's as far as the update goes. All the new features are in the new box.
I just loaded the firmware into my machine and it sounds really good. The sims took on a whole new dimension. I can only imagine what the new box with better preamp modelling can do.

I'll be putting my Axe FX for sale in the coming weeks.

I love it but I gotta have this new one. Gotta. Any Canadian slutz want to pick up a mint condition Ultra for a decent price? I'll pay the shipping and even throw in a Gator rack case heh
Hey you may be right, I don't remember on the SPDIF thing.

Yeah looks like the box to end all boxes

Need Lotto win, now.

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah I've waiting for this, the specs sound sick, even lower noise floor and more processing, I'm sold. The Ultra is amazing-- this is going to be fun!
Lives for gear

Looks like a cool unit, though I'd like to hear some samples first - especially in the spongier tube amp sounds and the crunch/low gain territory. Most demos I've heard for the Axe are just high gain and shred stuff that sounds super plastic and haven't sold me at all on it being the king of real amp sims (that it has a reputation for being).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What are you guys looking at? Their site has nothing new on it when I go to it....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It has aes ebu, should be able to do higher, guess it depends on the unit. would have liked to see light pipe since all my interfaces have it. light pipe can be summed to higher res than 48 too,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
What are you guys looking at? Their site has nothing new on it when I go to it....
Agreed! nothing new
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not sure what you are getting, but it is on the main page in bold type on my page "axe fx II"

Introducing the Axe-Fx II
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
$2200.00 LOL

Pick up a couple!

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDS ➑️
not sure what you are getting, but it is on the main page in bold type on my page "axe fx II"

Introducing the Axe-Fx II
Bizarre--this link worked!

Thank you

Anyway, I need to try one of these!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2 bands I work with just bought the old ones a few weeks ago, they are gonna be pissed.

Still haven't got them into the studio to check them out....but I'm eager to see what all the fuss is about.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I've been close to springing for the Axe for the past couple months but something kept me from buying it. I'm damn glad I waited. This one's clearly an upgrade for only a touch more $$.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, thanks for the link. Psyched to hear it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
I've been close to springing for the Axe for the past couple months but something kept me from buying it. I'm damn glad I waited. This one's clearly an upgrade for only a touch more $$.
Yeah feel for the guys who just bought one. I guess the good news is that there will be Ultra's on sale now, not to mention Standards, at more earthly prices.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
$2200.00 LOL

Pick up a couple!

TH
Definitely, one for home and one for studio like now.

No more endless trips to the repair shop, cracking during sessions, cabinet, mic and head setup time wasting and expensive tube replacements. WHAT A RELIEF from a MAJOR source studio frustrations.

And most of all, so much more beautiful, better and bigger sounding than my old PITA tube amps...and no creativity killing stopping to mess with sounds, mic setups, lifting cabinets around, cable tangles, buzzes etc etc etc. YUK! What needs it? Life is too busy as is.

And all that with just an AXE FX standard. Can't wait to send Fractal $4400...what a steal!!!!

PS anyone want my home Ultra AXE-FX? For sale here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Helpful 11R recording feature added:

"USB 2.0 systems, simultaneously capture a 3rd "dry" track for re-amping later"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie ➑️
Most demos I've heard for the Axe are just high gain and shred stuff that sounds super plastic and haven't sold me at all on it being the king of real amp sims (that it has a reputation for being).
I feel the same way.. I'm interested mainly in high gain shred and the demos for Axe have never done it for me. If the new one can get close to the sound of mic'ing up my Mesa Boogie Mark III I'll get one in a hearbeat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can't wait to hear demos. Im itching to ditch my attenuator and amp for something like this. But its got to be perfect.

I do not play anything shred or metal related. So this may not end up being my cup of tea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone know of any Axe Fx video clips doing that clean or clean/slightly broken up Fender sound?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It records cleans better than distortion even...better than any real amp I've ever heard.

#1) But you'll never know how good it is until you play one. It's like rubber, not 1/2" steel plate like ALL other amp sims...and the controlled feedback (at really quiet levels) is out of this world.

#2) A real amp may sound as good live as an Axe FX, but in 15 minutes can you get a real amp and effects boxes to RECORD (>mic>preamp>AD) as big, noise-free and beautiful as an AXE FX with just the right sound your thinking of? Sometimes, but not constantly. You can constantly get better recorded sound from the AXE-FX in ten minutes than amps. That's huge in NYC speed sessions (the norm.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
headphones on the front!!!!!

...thank you!!!!!

about time
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer ➑️
can't wait to hear demos. Im itching to ditch my attenuator and amp for something like this. But its got to be perfect.

I do not play anything shred or metal related. So this may not end up being my cup of tea.
It's funny how the shred and metal guys tend to be the most oriented towards these products, so whenever you try and find something useful to base your "to buy or not to buy" decisions on, you always find that Djent sort of stuff. Heavy and hardcore.

I honestly feel, with Version 1, that this box does the "in between" thing and clean to slightly broken up sounds as good or better than metal.

There is a learning curve and after owning mine for a bit over a year, I finally got some great tones for the stuff I do. ( Open chord pop and rock with a bit of chunky muting but not heavy by any means)

I expect, knowing what I know about my ow experiences with the Axe FX Ultra and having subsequently sold off every bit of tube and amp gear I had after having it for a while, that version 2 should be the last nail in the coffin.

It'll start to pull more and more players into it.

The firmware update they gave to us current owners was proof enough that the new box will blow us away.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 ➑️
It's funny how the shred and metal guys tend to be the most oriented towards these products, so whenever you try and find something useful to base your "to buy or not to buy" decisions on, you always find that Djent sort of stuff. Heavy and hardcore.

I honestly feel, with Version 1, that this box does the "in between" thing and clean to slightly broken up sounds as good or better than metal.

There is a learning curve and after owning mine for a bit over a year, I finally got some great tones for the stuff I do. ( Open chord pop and rock with a bit of chunky muting but not heavy by any means)

I expect, knowing what I know about my ow experiences with the Axe FX Ultra and having subsequently sold off every bit of tube and amp gear I had after having it for a while, that version 2 should be the last nail in the coffin.

It'll start to pull more and more players into it.

The firmware update they gave to us current owners was proof enough that the new box will blow us away.
Yeah there's a demo I downloaded from a guy that used that kind of sound and it was wonderful. I wrote him and he said he just doesn't even know what to do with his amps anymore lol

T
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cannot wait to snag this, just gotta sell my 5150 blockletter and my line 6 m13!!

PM if you're interested! (shameless plug)

Very excited though, used to own an ultra but I sold it (relatively broke college kid)

Definitely will be getting this ASAP
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the way to be sure it's worth the money is to have you guys all send donations to me, I'll buy one, and post a review. Just a thought...as I sit here with Eleven Rack

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tom, today is your lucky day finally. There is doing to be an absolute flood of cheap Axe-FX boxes now.

Myself? I had a digital dog day preparing to buy an Axe FX II... I just sold my spare one year old Axe FX Ultra at a $500 loss. (that's the dark dark side of digital as we know.) Axe FX Standards will be showing up soon under $900 I bet.
Closed