The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Piece of Art: Kirsch Audio SQ Series (Passive High End Studio Loudspeakers)
Old 4th April 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A Piece of Art: Kirsch Audio SQ Series (Passive High End Studio Loudspeakers)

Kirsch Audio is a Berlin based company and develops/manufactures professional loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for studio applications, PA installations and audiophile uses.

:*:*kirsch audio*:*:*loudspeaker development & manufacturing in berlin*:*:*

Kirsch Audio hereby would like to announce the availability of their studio series Kirsch Audio SQ 5/6/8

product specification SQ6

• construction type: 2-way reflex ported
  • operating mode: passive
  • frequency response/operating range: 35 Hz – 20 KHz (-6 dB)
  • impedance: 8 Ohm
  • input sensitivity: 90 dB / 1W / 1m
  • continuous power: 108 dB (spl/single)
  • max peak: 117 dB (spl/pair)
  • power rating: 60 w aes
  • max power: 240 w
  • assembly: 1,1" (28mm) tweeter (hexatech-voice coil) + 6,7” (170mm) low-mid frequency transducer
  • connections: gold plated banana plug & binding post
  • weight: 10,6 kg
  • dimensions: 450mm 260mm 360mm (h x w x d)
  • finish: black-grained polyurea (pu/elastomer coating)
  • price: 2353€ plus VAT

The SQ6 is available as front and rear ported version. Both loudspeakers do sound identical in the free-field. The mid-sized SQ6 is built for use as nearfield monitor in rooms of any size. The big, yet extremely lightweighted and fast low-mid-frequency transducer does not only offer a brilliant mid reproduction but also produces (in conjunction with the chassis and the perfectly tuned reflex port) authentic and precise bass and sub-bass. The use of an additional subwoofer is not neccesary. The impulse and phase response of the loudspeaker is unrivaled and not availble in current common active loudspeaker designs. There are no active or passive design elements implemented to achieve a flat speaker response curve (which could alter the phase and impulse response). The speakers response is tuned only within the available parameters (x-over, chassis, bass reflex port). The speakers measurements show ultra low distortion up to 105 dB SPL. You can not only use this monitor as an ultra precise and musical mixing monitor but also also in a loud tracking environment.

The SQ5 is built to the same quality & specs as the bigger models. It offers basically the same sound and nearly the same low end extension at a smaller footprint. This loudspeaker is perfect for smaller production rooms and post production suites. The cost is 1513€ plus VAT / pair

• Bauart: 2-Weg-Bassreflex passiv
  • Bestückung: 1,1" (28mm) Hornkalottenhochtöner mit Hexatech-Schwingspule
    5” (130mm) Tief-mitteltöner (high flux ferrite double magnet system)
  • Empfindlichkeit: 85 dB / 1W / 1m
  • Continuous Power: 107 dB (SPL/Single)
  • Endschalldruck: 118 dB (SPL/Paar)
  • Impedanz: 8 Ohm
  • Nennbelastbarkeit: 150 W AES
  • Impulsspitze: 1000 W
  • Frequenzbereich: 52 Hz – 20 KHz (-6 dB)
  • Anschlüsse: Schraub-Polklemmen
  • Gewicht: ca 7,5 kg
  • Dimensionen: Höhe 315mm Breite 215mm Tiefe 350mm
  • Oberfläche: PU ( Polyurea*) - Kunststoffbeschichtung schwarz-strukturiert

The SQ8 is the biggest model available. The loudspeaker can be used in bigger rooms and can act as a mid-field monitor. Due to the bigger low-mid-transducer the SQ8 offers an even more detailed and impressive midrange. The SQ8 can also be used in mastering applications. The pair costs 4118€ plus VAT.

• Bauart: 2-Weg-Bassreflex passiv
  • Bestückung: 1,1" (28mm) Hornkalottenhochtöner mit Hexatech-Schwingspule
    8” (225mm) Tief-Mitteltöner mit Kohlefasermembrane
  • Empfindlichkeit: 90 dB / 1W / 1m
  • Continuous Power: 108 dB (SPL/Single)
  • Endschalldruck: 117 dB (SPL/Paar)
  • Impedanz: 8 Ohm
  • Nennbelastbarkeit: 60 W AES
  • Impulsspitze: 240 W
  • Frequenzbereich: 35 Hz – 20 KHz (-6 dB)
  • Anschlüsse: Schraub-polklemmen vergoldet/vollisoliert
  • Gewicht: 18,2 kg
  • Dimensionen: Höhe 450mm Breite 340mm Tiefe 420mm
  • Oberfläche: PU ( Polyurea*) - Kunststoffbeschichtung schwarz-strukturiert

All models are manufactured and finished by the hands of Felix Kirsch at the Kirsch Audio workshop in Berlin. Common with all models are: their extremely accurate and natural display of any possible soundsource, their incredible spatial imaging and effortless reproduction without fatiguing artefacts even at high sound pressure levels. These loudspeakers are built and tuned more like musical instruments than technical devices and contain great knowledge and years of experience in acoustics, physics, electronics and music.

Kirsch Audio will be present at Musikmesse/ProLight&Sound. Feel free to drop by, ask questions and get an impression at: Hall 9 / B50 E. If you want to arrange an in-depth presentation please send an e-mail to [email protected] to make an appointment.

Disclaimer: I am not directly affiliated with Kirsch Audio. I am an early adopter though. I received serial numbers 1 & 2 for evaluation and bought no. 3 & 4 at full retail price. I am extremely excited about these speakers. Since the guys at the workshop and in the office do not speak english very well, i offered them to do a bit of english communication. I will monitor this thread for a while. If you have questions, i will answer these to my best knowledge. I am also in direct contact with the developer. If there are technical questions which i am not able to answer, i will discuss these with the developer and get back here.

I also plan to write a personal review. If it not collides with the rules, i will post the review at a later point in time. I will also answer questions you might have on how to buy them and regarding the active/passive discussion and amp suggestions.

Last edited by Brian Cares; 5th April 2011 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cares ➡️

Brian Cares
CarefulAudioProduction

To be honest, i do not fvcking care!
Sorry but that's a heck of a signature you've got there for a dealer.
Old 4th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o ➡️
Sorry but that's a heck of a signature you've got there for a dealer.
As i said in my disclaimer, i am not a dealer.

The signature was meant to be a joke. But since i do not want to offend anyone i edited it.
Old 5th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry, missed that in the long post I guess.

My error.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is that company aware of the fact that the Kirsch name is associated in the US with a well known "White van" speaker scam?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst ➡️
Is that company aware of the fact that the Kirsch name is associated in the US with a well known "White van" speaker scam?

To be honest, i dont know. I do not expect them to know about this specific case in the U.S.

I can assure that these guys are absolutely integer and serious.

The companies PA department is considered absolutely high end around here. This is actually where they make their money to fund the research and development for the studio series.

I will get more into the history and philosophy as soon as i get more of their stuff translated. There are definitely some really interesting aspects to their whole approach.
Old 7th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover ➡️
who calls this high end?

can you name anyone that would take this over L'acoustics, D&B or EAW?

i know i wouldn't.

jeremy
Why so offensive, my dear?

Have you heard their systems? I guess not. Its always easy to throw in established names and disregard new companies. I did not compare the loudspeakers to something else for a reason.

I see you are based in Berlin. So, let me make you an offer: Take one hour of your precious time and meet the guys at their workshop.
I will happily buy you a beer or your prefered drink. You could also get a pair delivered to your studio, even if you have no intention to buy.

Then come back here and make an educated statement.

Its all about hearing and ABing.

These guys have developed something special. And they are well aware of their situation. Establishing a new studio monitor with absolutely no marketing funds is hard and takes time. But i am absolutely convinced, that you wont find anything coming even close to these speakers in the pricerange up to 6k €.

When i decided to buy new monitors i compared them side by side to all the usual suspects: K&H, Focal, PSI, Opal, KRK, Adam, ATC in a painstaking process in my studio. The Q6 was a total outsider since it was just finished, had no reputation and came from a really small company. I still chose to buy them because i felt it was the least compromised, most exact and vibrant speaker i ever heard.

Please remember, i have no agenda here. I am not a dealer. I am just extremely excited by the work these guys have done.

And i really hope to get a discussion going on here, since i strongly believe that the SQ series is something really special.

I realize, i have no reputation on this board. But if you check my posts you will not find me selling or hyping anything. In fact i just opened a thread in the new software alert with a product i had the idea for, while another guy took the idea and made it a commercial product. I just felt it was a great idea and i wanted to spread the word.

I know that there are hundreds of companies building obscure speakers and trying to sell them. And i know how this thread might come across. But if you are based in Berlin or Germany i offer you to get in touch with me and see that i am a good guy and not a shill.
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sorry to offend you, that wasn't my intention.
i was simply pointing out the fact that the PA systems are not high end.
i have mixed on them for the past 5 years.
i wish the company all the best with the product.
i'm out.
peace.
jeremy
Old 17th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Since i had a couple PMs regarding the speakers and amp questions i thought i´d answer them publicly.

The designers reference amp is a Quad 606.

But basically you could use any amp delivering true 60 Watts RMS.
Since the sound is 90% in the speaker and 10% in the amp you could start with an affordable unit and upgrade/revoice the system later.

Felix Kirsch recommends the following brands:

Audiolab, NAD, Cambrigde, Accuphase, Emitter, Krell, NAIM

You should just try to keep the signal path as short and uncompromised as possible. So, having no eq/loundness/pan/etc. controls is of advantage.

I´m using the speakers with an Audiolab 8000SE.
This is a mid-priced british hifi amp. While its probably not the perfect amp-of-all-amps choice, it plays nicely with the speakers. Since i am not too informed about amps and their subleties i am not too concerned about them. But i´m still curious to hear the speakers with a different amp eventually.

Regarding the availability:

The speakers are only available via Kirsch Audio at the moment.
Demos in Germany and surrounding Europe can be arranged.
You are very welcome to visit the guys at their workshop in Berlin and see how these things are manufactured.

Kirsch Audio is looking after internationall distribution at the moment.

Jeremy: I would think, if the Festsaal Kreuzberg uses the system for more than 5 years, there must be a reason, no? If i were the club owner i would upgrade my audio if the stuff i´m using is not up to par and my technicians told me so.

Regarding the scam scandal in the US:
The company is aware of that. But since they are based in Germany and named after the designer they are not too concerned about the issue and see no reason to change the name.

I would like to add that i can understand people being suspicious about new brands like this. But sometimes you will find gems. Imvho this is the case here. These speakers are a real alternative to most of the stuff available at that pricepoint and much higher.

If you´re looking to upgrade your monitoring, just give it a try. You can only win.
Old 29th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cares ➡️
If you´re looking to upgrade your monitoring, just give it a try. You can only win.
+1

Coming from Geithain I´m ended buying a pair of Q6.
I´ve tested a lot of speakers before; PSI 215, Genelec 8260, Focal SM11, Geithain RL903, RL940, MO-2, ME110, ME25, Strauss SE-MF-1 and SE-NF-3 and some others...

The only once that come nearly close are the Strauss, in my opinion. At a much higher price. The others were miles away...

The Kirsch are by far the most accurate, detailed speakers I have listen to. Tight in bass (coming also low enough to work without sub) with the an absolute excellent spatial representation and transient response.
Old 5th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ ➡️
+1

Coming from Geithain I´m ended buying a pair of Q6.
I´ve tested a lot of speakers before; PSI 215, Genelec 8260, Focal SM11, Geithain RL903, RL940, MO-2, ME110, ME25, Strauss SE-MF-1 and SE-NF-3 and some others...

The only once that come nearly close are the Strauss, in my opinion. At a much higher price. The others were miles away...

The Kirsch are by far the most accurate, detailed speakers I have listen to. Tight in bass (coming also low enough to work without sub) with the an absolute excellent spatial representation and transient response.
What amp are you using with the Q6?

Oliver
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Flying Mole´s mono blocks, at the moment. Still wanted to test the Kirsch-Amp...
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really, really want to hear all 3 models of them.....the comments really made me wonder...especially the Strauss comparison.

I can´t really imagine that these are in any way superior to the Strauss systems honestly, but they´re for sure in a MUCH more interesting price range...and if they somehow manage to come close in performance, that would be a statement!!

I´ve only had short listening time on the two small+mid size Strauss systems
and if these could be a viable alternative (esp. the SQ8) at far far below 10k € I´m sure interested to hear them.

I think I´m pretty spoiled though....after using the Grimm LS1 at my place any spare minute I can have the demo pair (YES, I know...I work for their distribution....but I´m here at GS as a nerd on my own, thanks!) I fear it´s really, really hard to get me excited about a speaker!!

The LS1 (3-way, incl. subs) is really miles ahead of nearly everything else I´ve heard so far. (excluding the big Strauss MF-2, which blew me away completely...but we´re talking something like 70.000,- € or more incl. amps)

I can totally agree with JP that PSI, Genelec 8260, any Focal, Geithains or (god forbid) Adam speakers are really only nowhere near any of these in terms of detail, realism and especially depth of field. They´re just not in the same league.

years ago the ATC 50asl and 100asl got me thinking about "true" sounding speakers...and that was a real "new experience".... i still think they´re great and could happily mix&track on the ATCs still..... but this only started my curiosity..... the Grimm Audio and the big Strauss speakers really pushed my understanding of what a true speaker can reveal.

If those Kirsch only remotely can play in this league, I´d be very excited especially because of the price point and the simpler, more comfortable sizes for smaller studios!!!

I fear noone tested them with Hypex NCore modules yet?? which would probably take performance even a notch up more....

call me curious
Old 6th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ouch....I really can´t agree on the speakers/amp -> 90/10 importance, though... the flying mole are "ok"....cough...but if these Kirsch speakers are really that good, they for sure deserve a better amp...and there should be obvious listening differences.

keep us in the loop JP, about your future amp choices!!

Quote:
Flying Mole´s mono blocks, at the moment. Still wanted to test the Kirsch-Amp...
Old 7th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude ➡️
ouch....I really can´t agree on the speakers/amp -> 90/10 importance, though... the flying mole are "ok"....cough...but if these Kirsch speakers are really that good, they for sure deserve a better amp...and there should be obvious listening differences.

keep us in the loop JP, about your future amp choices!!

Hi Tom

Do you think the GRIMM LS1 would be suitable for mastering without subs?
Old 10th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ouch....I really can´t agree on the speakers/amp -> 90/10 importance, though... the flying mole are "ok"....cough...but if these Kirsch speakers are really that good, they for sure deserve a better amp
Flying moles are the once Juergen Strauss recommends for his speakers.
I´m sure they aren´t nearly as bad as you discribed it...
And if, the Kirsch are already so excellent in this combination, that I don´t have the feeling for soon improvement... But I´m always curious, of course.
Felix Kirsch recommends Quad 606 (or his own amps).

Believe me or not; the Q6 smokes a Geithain RL903 in a pipe even with a cheap Thomann PA-Amp.... (But the smaller Q5 indeed needs a better amp)

Not that the intergrated amps in most of the active speakers are nearly as good as the Flying moles...

Never listen to the Grimm speaker...
But they are the absolute opposite regarding technical construction then Kirsch and Strauss. No DSPs allowed on such speakers....heh

Gruß
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by priko ➡️
Hi Tom

Do you think the GRIMM LS1 would be suitable for mastering without subs?
hey priko,
well....I think it depends...they can get super, super low....even as 2-way, but that naturally means only for lower levels (you can set the low cut in the dsp remote software).

I think in a good room they could work without subs! but having heard them with subs,
I know I would want to upgrade them to 3-way one day.... it's just sooo "complete" and effortless then
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Flying moles are the once Juergen Strauss recommends for his speakers.
I´m sure they aren´t nearly as bad as you discribed it...
And if, the Kirsch are already so excellent in this combination, that I don´t have the feeling for soon improvement... But I´m always curious, of course.
Felix Kirsch recommends Quad 606 (or his own amps).

Believe me or not; the Q6 smokes a Geithain RL903 in a pipe even with a cheap Thomann PA-Amp.... (But the smaller Q5 indeed needs a better amp)

Not that the intergrated amps in most of the active speakers are nearly as good as the Flying moles...

Never listen to the Grimm speaker...
But they are the absolute opposite regarding technical construction then Kirsch and Strauss. No DSPs allowed on such speakers....heh

Gruß
oh.... my fault and good to know,
I only remembered them from a small pair of powered pmc's!
wasn't too impressed but this guy later bought something more expansive
(I think HotHouse amps or so) and said they really came to life... (well they better did for the money....hehe)

so if jürgen strauss recommends them, thats quite an endorsement... and I'd rather keep my mouth shut ;-))

smokin the RL903, I do believe you absolutely...not really a fan of any of their stuff to be honest...I really wanna hear the Q6 & Q8 next time in Berlin, I'll give it a shot for sure!!!
very interesting )

the LS1 may seem very different on paper, but they're just as "right" to the ears as those analog designs! there really no cheap dsp trickery involved, no FIR's, no pre-ringing, and the implemented x-over curves could def. have been built in analog, too! (but the speaker would be 5x as big then ;-)) they do NOT sound "digital" in any way...

and fwiw.: I always hated dsp-based speakers before!!! I could never understand how people liked and bought those sometimes even very expensive systems with fir-filters don't wannx talk down other companies, so not mentioning names, but...they always made my teeth hurt, and took the complete fun&life away from the music!

.... we're lucky that Bruno Putzeys is the genius he is....I think whatever this gentleman is working on, he always makes digital technology leap forward big time!!!

( that said, if I had the money I'd still want a pair of the big Strauss MF-2 in my room, they changed my perception on speakers...;-))
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hey, good to see this thread still going.

I just want to add that Kirsch Audio also decided to offer the service of setting up the speakers in your room. The conditions of this service seem very reasonable to me, considering what an acoustician would charge. And as we all (hopefully) know, the placement of the speakers makes 70-80% of their sound. These guys just want you to have the full experience.

Kirsch Audio are also working on international distribution. I dont know when this will be set up completely. But it should be in the near future.
Old 11th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the LS1 may seem very different on paper, but they're just as "right" to the ears as those analog designs! there really no cheap dsp trickery involved, no FIR's, no pre-ringing, and the implemented x-over curves could def. have been built in analog, too! (but the speaker would be 5x as big then ;-)) they do NOT sound "digital" in any way...
Never listen to them, so no offence here... Ich hänge an deinen Lippen....

Quote:
( that said, if I had the money I'd still want a pair of the big Strauss MF-2 in my room, they changed my perception on speakers...;-))
Also, never listen to their big system. The other ones are to expensive in my opinion... and after the last price increase I can not really name them serious ...
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would love to hear these speakers too! JP's comment got me curious.
Old 27th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Never listen to them, so no offence here... Ich hänge an deinen Lippen....
If you´re in the south, we´ll have the full 3-way LS1 system running at the High End show in Munich next week. I´ll be there and Eelco Grimm, too.

Come over, have a listen!!

Highend

I´ll be in Berlin in May hopefully, so I´m looking forward to give the big Kirsch´s a listen!!!
Old 2nd May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PM´d...
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

i heared the q6 & the q8 in berlin (against the psi 215).
they have a bit a oversubscribed presence range and a very tight, but slightly light bass.
i some aspects (like room information) they are great, but i think they are far away from being balanced.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have a pair of Kirsch SQ8 in my studio right now and tested them againts my focal twins. The Focals are great but far away from what The kirsch sounded like. tight and deeper low end, silky high end( focals sound almost harsh and metallic compared) and the depth was impressiv. I liked that the sound didn't changed a lot when I was moving out of the sweet spot. I am sold. great loudspeaker...not the prettiest one but A big step up from my current setup... they are passiv and have only 90 watt aes but they go loud as hell... the pair costs 3750 €

Now I have to sell my twins to avoid going bankrupt

regards
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Anyone else worked on the kirsch monitors? Waiting for more reviews andcomparison. SQ5 againt the psi a17m?
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
They are good. Good for mastering too!
Too bright? Yes, a little. But then again it comes with a gain of depth, localization and clraity in general. You just need to tune in for a while. They are level sensitive, but thats ok with mastering, as you stick around a certain listening level anyway ;-)

Oh, i am talking about sq5!
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Why the difference in price between SQ6 and SQ8 is so big?!
Old 29th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZER ➡️
Why the difference in price between SQ6 and SQ8 is so big?!
its not that big actually .. for example the price difference btween neumann kh120 and kh310 is bigger..

I have a pair of kirsch sq6 too and they are just perfect ..
it takes some effort to make a great mix but once its done it will translate pretty well on all other systems
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
--

Last edited by midmost; 7th November 2017 at 10:03 PM..
📝 Reply