The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SE Electronics Voodoo VR1 & VR2 Ribbon Mics
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
SE Electronics Voodoo VR1 & VR2 Ribbon Mics

"The sE Electronics Voodoo VR-1 and VR-2 ribbon mics mark a new era for ribbon mic technology – until now the only ribbon mic in the world to perform across 20Hz-20KHz was the sE/Rupert Neve collaboration, the RNR1, critically acclaimed as the best Ribbon mic in the world.

This was achieved using state of the art transformers and a Rupert Neve designed circuit board to reveal HF usually absent. The Voodoo mics however achieve full frequency response using a new mechanical device (patent pending), designed by Siwei Zou, the company CEO.

This extraordinary technical achievement allows the traditional ribbon capsule to develop and capture frequencies from 20Hz to 20KHz like no other ribbon on the planet. The sound is revolutionary; where the RNR1 is simply a stunning mic in its own class entirely, the Voodoo range brings traditional ribbon sound to the project and commercial studio, but extends it to perform as well as most condensers do.

The result is superbly detailed and wonderfully open and natural sounding recordings of acoustic instruments and guitar cabs. The VR2 is an β€˜active’ version of the VR1, which is the more traditional β€˜passive’ ribbon design. These mics’ unique ability to perform, coupled with searingly good looks, are sure to make the VR1 and VR2 classics of their time."

Passive VR1 = $699.99
Active VR2 = $999.99
Attached Thumbnails
SE Electronics Voodoo VR1 & VR2 Ribbon Mics-media-1.jpeg   SE Electronics Voodoo VR1 & VR2 Ribbon Mics-media-2.jpeg  
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dang they look ugly!
Old 28th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Smile

Beauty will be in the ear of the owner I guess.
Old 28th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm actually diggin' the raw look of them.
Old 29th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm digging them too
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like these mics.

Here's a song I did using a VR2 on every single track. This was recorded in my living room, definitely not a studio.

Sorry for the dodgey performance.

Cheers,

bcg
Attached Files

bcgood_SE_Ribbon.mp3 (3.01 MB, 21490 views)

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
I really like these mics.

Here's a track I did using a VR2 on every single track. This was recorded in my living room, definitely not a studio.

Sorry for the dodgey performance.

Cheers,

bcg
Dude, you forgot to sing! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell ➑️
Dude, you forgot to sing! heh
I hate it when I forget to do that! ; )
Old 5th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry SE, I hope I wasn't the one who killed this thread!

Maybe I should take the clips down?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i've had a pair of the se vr1 ribbons in my room for a few days.

i'm going to buy them.

i rarely buy new gear.

used em on drums, guitars (including super loud 50-100 watt marshall/goodsel/sovteks screaming into them through 4x12 cabinets), acoustic, leslie speaker...percussion...and even vocals.

more smooth useable top end than any ribbon mic i've used. i suppose the only word i can really think of is "open". considerable "brighter" sounding than my fatheads, beyer 160, oktava....but in a good way. definitely less of the "classic ribbon sound" and more condenser-like...but somehow...very much still a ribbon...mostly, to my ears...in how they handle transients. smooth...yet punchy keeps coming to mind.

i have always loved ribbons....i have owned/used coles, beyer, fatheads, rca, oktava...etc for years. never felt the need to add more to my roster...until i played with these se mics.

in many ways..they remind me of what i love about the coles 4038...but after adding a bit of top end eq...and perhaps a bit less bottom.

the midrange is much more "accurate"...rather than pushed a bit...like a royer...which i also love.

i hate trying to describe a sound...i just know when something works for me in my room...to my ears...and these mics do.

to me the kind of mics i like the most...are ones that i could see doing anything...and even everything on an album with.

oh..and they are tiny (the vr1..at least) easy to place. they sound quite amazing on toms...actually..

sorry for the sales pitch....i just dig the mics.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you for the samples. I too would like to hear a vocal on this if anyone can post it. You don't have to be able to sing, just talk in it. The clarity on the shaker is amazing, as good as a warm condenser, but with a smoothness that speaks ribbon. I really would like to hear one of these up against a Cascase Vin Jet. That's one of their brighter long-ribbon offerings, and is much more affordable. I was blown away when I tested it at AES NY in 2009.
Old 7th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love my VR1. I'm genuinely surprised more folk aren't talking about them or checking them out. Inexpensive ribbon with a really, really good range and tone that easily beats out almost all the ribbons I've used.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My debit card is resonating at about 700 Hz. Every now and then it jumps up to about 900Hz. I'm going to wait for it to make up its mind and then I'm getting one of these suckers. The dude at GC Pro had one in their pro audio room and acoustic guitar into it sounded like an auralgasm.
Old 27th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatom ➑️
I love my VR1. I'm genuinely surprised more folk aren't talking about them or checking them out. Inexpensive ribbon with a really, really good range and tone that easily beats out almost all the ribbons I've used.
I've been researching for a new mic setup for months.
I was going to buy a set of NT5s, but was advised to consider Lauten or Miktek. After further research, I also put Mojave audio on my short list, but now that I've been reading about these mics, I'm leaning towards the VR1.
"auralgasm" practically seals the deal!
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatom ➑️

The sE ribbon mics are surprisingly one of the best ribbons we've used in almost any price range. The extended frequency response makes them useable in a lot of applications you might not expect them to shine in. Nice job sE!
Old 3rd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Audio-LA ➑️
The sE ribbon mics are surprisingly one of the best ribbons we've used in almost any price range. The extended frequency response makes them useable in a lot of applications you might not expect them to shine in. Nice job sE!

...So what about using them for solo acoustic flat top and arch top jazz/avant garde guitar?? Because, you know.....those guys love their texture, dynamic range, etc...

Right now I'm on the fence between a pair of M300s and a couple of VR1s..
Anybody have anything helpful?
(P.S. How lucky am I that I'm "conflicted" about these mics? What a world)
Old 10th July 2011 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I have to say, an initial test we did on a VR1 last week was very promising. We are planning on adding all the sE ribbons to the Clipalator soon.

Surprised nobody mentioned how tiny the VR1 is physically! It really is stunningly small, they don't look that way in the site photos.

Very linear in the midrange, not a boomy or muddy bottom, and a smooth but present top. Extremely natural and "tight" sort of sound, neutral in a good way.

More soon, we are planning our recording dates now.

War
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Blurry cell phone pic but you get the idea.

War
Attached Thumbnails
SE Electronics Voodoo VR1 & VR2 Ribbon Mics-vr1-zenpro.jpg  
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The Gin Blossoms just played at a venue I work at; Their engineer used one of these on Jesse's guitar cab and it was probably the best live guitar sound I've ever heard. Cleans, as well as more distorted, compressed leads sounded fantastic. Tons of definition.
I talked to the engineer before and after the show and he just wouldn't stop raving about these. He said they're also great on brass, and the figure 8 pattern thickens up about anything you put through it.
Old 14th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald ➑️
...So what about using them for solo acoustic flat top and arch top jazz/avant garde guitar?? Because, you know.....those guys love their texture, dynamic range, etc...

Right now I'm on the fence between a pair of M300s and a couple of VR1s..
Anybody have anything helpful?
(P.S. How lucky am I that I'm "conflicted" about these mics? What a world)
For Acoustic Gtr I would recomend the VR-2 with it's 20 db of additional gain over the VR-1. It really sounds amazing on Acoustic, Electric, Stringed Instruments, Horns, Piano, Drums, and even Vocals. The ruler flat response from 20 -20k is a revelation to hear.
Old 4th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've been using the VR1 for about a month now. Sounds beautiful on my Mesa Mark V, it just seems to bring out the best of every channel.

Check out this ch1 (clean) sample. No eq at all just a little lexicon verb
Attached Files

VR1 Clean test.mp3 (792.3 KB, 19399 views)

Old 4th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone able compare directly to a Royer R121?
Old 5th September 2011 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Yes...check out our Clipalator and hear them on the same things. Royer's R series and sE's Voodoo series were both done in the same session too so, done one right after the other on:

acoustic guitar
electric guitar
drum OH
male vocal

War
Old 13th December 2011
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hello all,
As a long time lurker on Gearslutz, I thought I ought to finally join in.
Just wanted to say, I'm the proud owner of the Voodoo VR1 and it is an absolutely wonderful mic. It's got that cosy ribbonyness but without the feeling that all the highs are missing. ...Which is pretty much what it's advertised as being. It makes my recordings sound authentically vintage. Lovely on a drum kit. Syrupy on vocals. Robust, when close up to the F-hole on my ancient Hofner President bass. I run it into my LA-610 and find that just a couple of notches of extra high eq does the job. It makes my quiet, thin voice sound intimate and thick. ...Not that you want to get intimate with a thicko.
Old 13th December 2011
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I agree the VR1 Voodoo is enough of a reason to post here...and your description is spot on.

Welcome to the boards too, by the way.

War
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, I think it's even cooler that you have a Hofner President Bass!!!
Old 20th December 2011
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey, cheers Warhead and xj32!
Indeed the Hofner is cool as f*ck!
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Soryy for bumping this one, up, but has anyone some clips on the vr2 on piano? I'm considering getting a secound just so I can mic stereo mic my wifes yamaha.
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Blimey! how have these things only just come onto my highly tuned ribbon radar! I am a total lover of ribbons and normallyh pick up on such developments!

Ah well probably means I have been actually making music rather than reading about it!

Excellent!
Old 17th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong ➑️
Blimey! how have these things only just come onto my highly tuned ribbon radar! I am a total lover of ribbons and normallyh pick up on such developments!

Ah well probably means I have been actually making music rather than reading about it!

Excellent!
If you are interested - I wrote a lengthy review with audio examples of both in the review section here.
πŸ“ Reply