Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Noveltech native would be massive
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vank ➑️
YES! Any suggestions how to go about this?
I've just sent this short email to [email protected]

Hello, I own a TC Powercore FireWire and use your character plugin a lot.
Now it seems TC are finally putting it's Powercore line to bed would you or are you considering a native version of character.
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is new thread

PoCo to Native wishlist

where you can put your personal wishlist. I will send the wishlist link to TC and the others included
Old 24th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
aural exciter

I just purchased the native plugin yesterday.
I placed it on 3 tracks of lead vocals (2 were solid state and the other was tube, preamp wise) and i really like how the vocals were tube driven from the plugin. gave it more presence and a touch of top end. i see myself using this plugin on my leads always from now on
Old 24th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves Aphex is definitely not for me. I would prefer more controls
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hey I just started using the Waves Aphex and would have to say under first impressions its very cool. I have not used an original but dont care. I started to use this plug automated on guitars to change there dominance in different sections and its works a treat!
Old 5th March 2011 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by griploc_1981 ➑️
...I placed it on 3 tracks of lead vocals (2 were solid state and the other was tube, preamp wise) and i really like how the vocals were tube driven from the plugin. gave it more presence and a touch of top end...
If you set the knob to bypass you only get the tube stage. I set up presets for various drive levels turning the input up or down with the output restoring the gain to unity. This plug-in definitely has a sweet spot that's well worth finding.
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

OT. Sorry for this but being a swedish guy, I just happened to see your surname and recognize it somehow, as it it one of the most common surnames in Sweden. However, someone must have spelled it incorrectly back in church books in Minnesota around in 1880-1900 perhaps, because the common way of spelling it is Ohlsson - assuming your family once emigrated from Sweden.
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
My grandfather in Malung spelled it that way in an attempt to be original when they were required to take surnames. My mother was sure my dad had screwed up his immigration paperwork but Olhsson turned out to be correct. My dad's older brothers all changed their names.
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just reviewed this for Sonicscoop.com

Review: Waves Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter by Zach McNees : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC

It's a nice piece for certain applications but certainly doesn't warrant use on everything. My biggest thing here is that these days, everyone is trying to get that warmth back that analog tape and tube mics delivered. There's much less of a problem with clarity and top end in the DAW world so for me, the number of times that I need to make something even brighter are few and far between.

When it works though, it's killer and is definitely worth a listen!
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMcNee ➑️
...these days, everyone is trying to get that warmth back that analog tape and tube mics delivered...
The irony to me is that I always found that what people love about the sound of older records is the sound of the inevitable bleed between the microphones in a live or mostly live recording. Nothing is more sterile than an all-overdubbed recording or one made with everything isolated with gobos or separate rooms. Back in the '80s I used to refer to the Aphex as "Dial-A-Leak."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
Back in the '80s I used to refer to the Aphex as "Dial-A-Leak."
Well, it's a good thing you're brilliant with audio, 'cause you have no future in marketing.

- c
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves V8 64bit Aphex Aural Exciter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
The irony to me is that I always found that what people love about the sound of older records is the sound of the inevitable bleed between the microphones in a live or mostly live recording. Nothing is more sterile than an all-overdubbed recording or one made with everything isolated with gobos or separate rooms. Back in the '80s I used to refer to the Aphex as "Dial-A-Leak."
After remixing a certain queen song I very much have to agree with you. If those tracks had blood they would have been bathing in it.
Gear Nut

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I totally agree. A lot of the current crop of engineers are so terrified of bleed they never even bother to listen to what it sounds like. The last record I made the drum kit and piano were in the same room separated by just gobos. Sound incredible!
Old 13th April 2011 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
It's terror of not being able to fix stuff.
Old 14th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Back in the '80s I used to refer to the Aphex as "Dial-A-Leak."
So aphexing the bleed was common practice/awesome sounding?
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
The Aphex could make things sound like there was bleed when there wasn't any.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Aphex could make things sound like there was bleed when there wasn't any.
OIC. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Anybody noticed some when using it as a send to ....you have sometime like a tubing effect ...is there some freq harmonic boost in aphex that fluctuate in time ?

try it on a hh and you will understand what i say ...

Also find a lot of phase issue introduced that i have to deal with ....not bad , just unusual ..
Old 13th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek ➑️
Hidden feature ? It's a emulation of a vintage tube powered device I assume getting saturation on the 2bus would be the main feature heh
hmm, i've seen this kind of comment a few times. i'm trying the aphex out right now, but to be honest, i can't hear any of the saturation in bp mode. i've made an effect rack in ableton live to raise the input level and attenuate the output level simultaneously with one knob, and i hear no difference in bp mode. even with +24 dB input (and thus -24dB output).

checking with a spectrum analyser, putting a sine wave through it shows there is no saturation in bp mode, at every input level. am i missing something?

the influence of input level on the other modes is obvious on the other hand.

Last edited by mossie23; 13th September 2011 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: clearness
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I use Aphex all the time.. Type B, saw it also in Andy Scheps and Michael Brauers gear also Tom Lord Alge I use it as pararell send, mosly in mono for vocals (put vocals thru Urei LA-12 pararel, compressing hard and this sound goes to exciter), snare, kick etc

dont know what people have against exciter, to me its big part of sound of many many many great records, its one of the boxes that when you hit it you think: its sounds ok nothing special, maybe avid enhancer sounds the similar, spl vitalizer etc... maybe cheap ( I'm not sure about this, to me its silky, not harshy, depends how you use it) but it just works! in use it turns to be my main tool for.. maybe exciting
πŸ“ Reply