The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bock 241
Old 19th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Would any of you say the Bock 241 sounds "dark" with the switch on?

Or would you call it a little less top end, as we intended?

Brad
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Just to add.. the Bock 151 is still one hell of a mic. While it may sound different than the 251, it still sounds fantastic on just about everything. Just pointing out that there is nothing "wrong" with the 151, and if you ever catch one on the used market at a good price, grab it.

But congrats on the 241, I look forward to hearing it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde ➡️

Brad
Not me. Also it sounded very forward.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the shootout. Very helpful. Especially, adding my own compression to all the tracks to hear how they respond to it. The 241switch does seem to have a little more low end content. Someone said this was performance, or it could have a been a little proximity difference. I hear what the switch does, but it is very subtle. There is plenty of sibilance, but it does sound voiced a little lower than the 251. On this particular vocalist, the lower voiced sibilance is more of a problem to me than the 251. I actually think I like the 241 (no switch) best for her. She is singing a little harder maybe, and maybe that's what Im liking.

Its really splitting hairs, they all sound stellar, and close enough that you could comp a vocal from all three passes, and nobody would be the wiser. Impressive!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Brad
I would say you have succeeded! I have hear quite a few mics with a similar switch that just makes the sound dull. Thats is why I asked what the switch does exactly. It sounds less like a LPF and more like a circuit bend. I loved it, anyway! Kudos! :-)
Old 21st April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
anyone got any male vocal audio?
Old 27th April 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The hf switch helps a lot when it comes to screaming fem. voices.
I agree, it does not sound like a filter or anything i could do with an eq.

Happy new user here in Berlin btw.
Maybe one of the first...after a lot of (ELAM 251 soundish mic-) testing we´re finally there.
Thanks a lot that it is available in Germany again - we were after a 151 for a while now...
Old 22nd July 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My buddy just got a Bock 241 and sent me a quick down and dirty vocal tracked with it (thru his Pendulum) and my reply to him was it immediately reminded me of when I used David's e47C for the first time. Just such a polished, refined "pro" sound off the hop.

I'm surprised that more love isn't shown for his products. Really top tier goods.
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm pretty freaked out that the price of the 251 just jumped $500-$1000, depending on the seller. It may just have been put out of my reach as I was saving for it.

I can still do a 241, though, at around $3500. I hope it's just about as "good."
Old 3rd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Brad - can you tell me what the switch on the 241 is actually doing? Is the switch a LPF? If so, at what freq? Or is it a shelf EQ?

I've been thinking of getting a 251, but I preferred the "241 switch" test files, so I'm wondering if I can re-create the switch with simple EQ or filter when I want it.

Thanks in advance for your reply. Happy New Year!

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray dsr ➡️
Brad - can you tell me what the switch on the 241 is actually doing? Is the switch a LPF? If so, at what freq? Or is it a shelf EQ?

I've been thinking of getting a 251, but I preferred the "241 switch" test files, so I'm wondering if I can re-create the switch with simple EQ or filter when I want it.

Thanks in advance for your reply. Happy New Year!

Ray
Its a HF filter that is so gentle as to be 2 dB down at 10K I think David told me. Starts at 5K I think. SO its not really a formal EQ, but a Bock circuit for this effect. So not sure you could do it with an EQ as most EQ's are at least 12dB per octave and 12 is too much.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Its a HF filter that is so gentle as to be 2 dB down at 10K I think David told me. Starts at 5K I think. SO its not really a formal EQ, but a Bock circuit for this effect. So not sure you could do it with an EQ as most EQ's are at least 12dB per octave and 12 is too much.

Brad
If I'm understanding correctly, it's a LPF with a very gentle slope that begins at 5k?
Perhaps David will elaborate further.
Old 8th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If I'm understanding correctly, it's a LPF with a very gentle slope that begins at 5k?
Checking on this again.

Brad, David? Will I be able to closely approximate that nice roll-off with EQ?
Old 10th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
bump?
Old 16th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
correct and it cuts the 10k bump by 1-2dB.
Old 16th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Checking on this again.

Brad, David? Will I be able to closely approximate that nice roll-off with EQ?
No because the active filter in the mic affects the response as it is being amplified by the tube and before it gets to it's output transformer, the mic pre, & your eq. Equalization after it's already become sibilant (distorted) does not remove the distortion component that's now there.
Old 17th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbock ➡️
No because the active filter in the mic affects the response as it is being amplified by the tube and before it gets to it's output transformer, the mic pre, & your eq. Equalization after it's already become sibilant (distorted) does not remove the distortion component that's now there.
I understand. That little filter seems like an extremely valuable addition to me.

Thanks for your response David.

-Ray
📝 Reply