The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Little Labs Redeye 3D Phantom is now shipping...
Old 27th February 2011 | Show parent
Little Labs

🎧 20 years
No, the Multi Z PIP has a line level output, the Redeye 3D phantom is mic level out.
J
Old 27th February 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for all your info here.

I was looking at getting the PIP for studio work here - but I'm thinking 2 of your new red-eyes might actually be able to do everything we need...

We need to be able to reamp in stereo (which the PIP seems to be able to do) as well as DI 2 channels at once. (Again, 2 x redeyes = great!) The PIP does more, but going down the red-eye route might just do everything we need. I gather the PIP is also good for splitting signals (which may come in useful) - I guess I'm just asking if there is any other large "value add" features for a studio that the PIP might give us that is worth the additional purchase price?

Thanks - amazing products by the way. Certainly fill a need in the market!

Brendan.
Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Little Labs

🎧 20 years
The Little Labs Multi Z PIP does a lot with it's line level output, summing inputs, different front end circuits designed for different source impedances, and built in re-amp capability. It's super flexible. But might be more than what you need. It's a solid device with multiple capabilities.
The Redeye 3D Phantom is more basic and mic level, but designed as a di/re-amping full chain, that's truly bone head proof.
The circuit topology of the Redeye 3D all centers around two very special transformers, that I really like.

Both the Multi Z PIP and Redeye 3D are great and actually have compatible expansion in and out ports, allowing multiple transformer isolated guitar level/impedance outputs. It's hard to say what's better, they are different, just like with microphones..
Jonathan
Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info Jonathan. Yes the PIP does a lot - more than what I need. You described the Redeye 3D as foolproof and that's the beauty of it. Maybe in the future you will consider line level output control so it will have everything you need in one box instead of requiring a mic preamp. It will help avoid extra patching, carrying an extra hardware unit to a gig or even just freeing up a Pre for another use in the studio.
Old 2nd March 2011 | Show parent
Little Labs

🎧 20 years
I hear ya, but it would be another animal, perhaps I'll make that part of a mic pre rather than adding a mic pre to a DI. Keep in mind the Redeye 3D is all about that transformer and being a really good bang for your buck...$289 list!
Check it out!
Jonathan
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelabs ➡️
I hear ya, but it would be another animal, perhaps I'll make that part of a mic pre rather than adding a mic pre to a DI.
That would be great! (Maybe in a half rack space so you can fit 2 in 19"). Only the MW1 offers that option in the market right now and while it's great, it does a lot more which some users may not have the need for.

Quote:
Keep in mind the Redeye 3D is all about that transformer and being a really good bang for your buck...$289 list!
Check it out!
Jonathan
I am waiting for you! (through PK)
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Little Labs Multi Z PIP does a lot with it's line level output, summing inputs, different front end circuits designed for different source impedances, and built in re-amp capability. It's super flexible. But might be more than what you need. It's a solid device with multiple capabilities.
The Redeye 3D Phantom is more basic and mic level, but designed as a di/re-amping full chain, that's truly bone head proof.
The circuit topology of the Redeye 3D all centers around two very special transformers, that I really like.

Both the Multi Z PIP and Redeye 3D are great and actually have compatible expansion in and out ports, allowing multiple transformer isolated guitar level/impedance outputs. It's hard to say what's better, they are different, just like with microphones..
Jonathan

+1 on the Multi Z PIP, as far as boxes which make anything easily compatible and doable at a moments notice. I guess as part of the audio nerd bomber squad, this box kinda excites me a bit, I won't lie. I think it is a serious instrument tool that seems to be for the lad, who is always recording anything and everything, yet never knowing what is around the corner. Anyway, Jon I'm truly diggin the red-EYE 3d's potency.....great work!!!
Little Labs

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Only the MW1 offers that option in the market right now and while it's great, it does a lot more which some users may not have the need for.
That's not true!
The Little Labs PCP instrument distro has done what the MW1 box does (line level out on the DI) now and has for 12 years, and the Multi Z PIP has done that for jeez like 7. But the PCP DI is transformer-less, and the PIP does use a transformer, but it is a 1:1 .
All three of these devices the PCP, the Multi Z PIP, and the other box are all tweekers delights, the possibilities are limitless. The Redeye 3D Phantom is for the rest of us who don't want to have to think.
By the way you might want to download the preliminary manual on the Redeye 3D. I go into why we don't use a variable impedance or drag control (>cringe<, I hate that term) or dullomaker on the Little Labs stuff.
Jonathan
Old 4th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's not true!
The Little Labs PCP instrument distro has done what the MW1 box does (line level out on the DI) now and has for 12 years, and the Multi Z PIP has done that for jeez like 7. But the PCP DI is transformer-less, and the PIP does use a transformer, but it is a 1:1 .
All three of these devices the PCP, the Multi Z PIP, and the other box are all tweekers delights, the possibilities are limitless. The Redeye 3D Phantom is for the rest of us who don't want to have to think.
By the way you might want to download the preliminary manual on the Redeye 3D. I go into why we don't use a variable impedance or drag control (>cringe<, I hate that term) or dullomaker on the Little Labs stuff.
Jonathan
My bad, you're right Jonathan! I guess PCP and PIP always appeared to do much more than what I needed and so they flew under my radar. Sorry!
Old 4th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's not true!
Jonathan
Where do I find the preliminary manual? Very interested. I thought there were only positives to having variable impedance.
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➡️
Where do I find the preliminary manual? Very interested. I thought there were only positives to having variable impedance.
There's a link on the original post. Cheers
Old 16th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have a question

As I read this box will do:

-reamping from DAW
-use for mixing with guitar pedals (using DAW)
-both passive and active DI inputs

Does it also do guitar splitting with transformer? (one guitar into two amps simultaniously)

The IBP also does all of these in addition to the phase tool?

thanks
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Red Eye 3d Phantom in Austria

Question to Jonathan:

I am very impressed by the Red Eye 3d Phantom and want to buy one but unfortunenatly there is no dealer selling it in Austria!
I looked it up on thomann.de and wanted to order it from Germany but realised they only have the 'old' version
So my question is where can I get the new version?

thx!

🎧 10 years
thx a lot but it seems that it's out of stock (or there is some bug on the website)
Old 10th April 2011 | Show parent
Little Labs

🎧 20 years
Call Unity audio in the UK they actually supply KMR audio and I know they have stock. Unity Audio
all the best
Jonathan
Old 10th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irgendwaslanges ➡️
thx a lot but it seems that it's out of stock (or there is some bug on the website)
Its listed as being in stock here :

Little Labs Red Eye3d | DV247
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ok, I'm a little confused on using the device as both a DI and a reamp box at the same time. I'm new to this 'reamping" thing and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it so please bare with me...

1. If your looking to use the redeye as a DI and reamp box at the same time, that means your ultimate goal is to get the clean DI and amp recorded in one pass, right? So wouldn't you just use a DI box to split the signal and record both the clean and cab? No reamping required, right?

2. If you do want to reamp while recording, and since the redeye needs a preamp, why not plug directly into the preamp, record into your DAW, and use a "normal" reamp box after the daw?

I'm trying to see the value in this device as both a DI and reamp box in my composition studio and if its worth the extra money vs something like the Radial proRMP. Thanks in advance for the help and reply.
Old 3rd July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGK_Dude ➡️
Ok, I'm a little confused on using the device as both a DI and a reamp box at the same time.
You can't. At least you can't on the older passive model.

I discussed this with Jonathan Little (very decent chap) and he did accept it was a fair criticism. Maybe the later active model addresses this limitation?

I would always record the amp and a DI signal simultaneously (which is what the Red Eye is designed to permit). If you can get the sound at source then why not? At the very least the guitarist needs a decent sound to react and play to - a DI is a most uninspiring 'twang'! If you need to re-amp later then the DI signal (and the Red Eye for re-amping) gives you the option, but if the original amped version does the job, then job done. The DI signal is just an insurance policy!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf ➡️
You can't. At least you can't on the older passive model.

I discussed this with Jonathan Little and he did accept it was a fair criticism. Maybe the later active model addresses this limitation?

I would always record the amp and a DI signal simultaneously (which is what the Red Eye is designed to permit). If you can get the sound at source then why not? At the very least the guitarist needs a decent sound to react and play to - a DI is a most uninspiring 'twang'! If you need to re-amp later then the DI signal (and the Red Eye for re-amping) gives you the option, but if the original amped version does the job, then job done. The DI signal is just an insurance policy!
Yeah, the new Redeye is a DI and reamp box at the same time! Little Labs Redeye 3D Phantom - YouTube

Though I must admit I still don't see the value in having it as a DI and reamp box at the same time; if you're reamping, then you dont need the DI split into the amp right? That’s what the reamp is for. So why not just plug the guitar into your preamp and just use a dedicated reamp device to drive the amp? (guitar -> preamp -> Daw track 1-> Daw OUt 1 -> reamp -> Amp -> Mic -> Daw track 2) or just use the DI and capture both the clean and amp at the same time. Or am I missing something?

I understand in a normal recording situation where the guitarist comes in with all the pedals/amp to create his sound, then the DI signal is just an insurance policy. I'm not a recording engineer running a studio, but rather a musician running a composition rig, so the ability to try many different colors is my primary goal. Of course I would love these colors to eventually go through my amp, but I dont mind tracking with a virtual amp for inspiration and later dialing in the sound if need be. Plus I don't have any actual guitar pedals, so any pedal work would have to be done virtually before it hits the amp, thus my question about it being a DI and ReAmp at the same time.

The more I think of it, the more I think I dont need a DI box (just plug directly into my preamp which also has a secondary unbalanced -10dBv output which it says is designed to be used to feed amps, additional effects, etc (which makes it act like a DI box, correct?) and just get a reamp box to make sure the impedance is correct before going into my tube amp.

Does little labs make just a reamp box at a similar price point as the Radial ProRMP? I dont know if I can justify the extra cost given my setup…unless there is something beneficial about the redeye that I'm just not understanding yet?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, the new Redeye is a DI and reamp box at the same time!
Hoorah!

Quote:
Though I must admit I still don't see the value in having it as a DI and reamp box at the same time
a) It means you don't have to rewire between tracking and re-amping.
b) I can play a guitarist's performance straight back to his fx/amp to let him make performance/setting decisions.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Question output impedance figures etc

this is phenomenal, i've been waiting for something doing DI and REAMP at the same time, for guitar recording, but especially for introducing guitar pedals and some vintage fx to DAW tracks and other line devices. having choice of both active buffered and passive input just makes it perfect

Johnatan, i have a few q, if i may:

what is the 3D output impedance? is it high enough to work nicely with pedals that are notoriously bad with active pickup guitar/bass (like Woolly Mammoth) ?

if i wanted to hit guitar pedals with an analog synth (typically 1kOhm out), that has hot unbalanced output (going well into 2 - 3V), can i go into Redeye 3D XLR input via TS-to-XLR adapter (shorted minus and ground)?

afaik, this works with transformer designs, tho with loss of 6dB - which isnt an issue since source signal is so hot. so far, i wasn't able to use things like woolly or bucket brigade designs on vintage analog synths because of insane difference of operating levels, as well as total impedance mismatch.

thanks

best regards
Tom
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Little Labs

🎧 20 years
Just caught this, let me answer. Output impedance (instrument out) is about 25k ohms. I don't know the wooly mammoth but I'm sure it will work fine.

On the rear of the redeye 3D you have trs inputs and you can plug that hot synth right into those unbalanced and be fine.
Hope that helps
J
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wheeew that was quick thanks for the info, sounds good.. off to vintage king..
Old 25th September 2012

🎧 10 years
I don't know if it's user error here or not. (Very well could be.) But, I'm having trouble with the re-amp side of my Red Eye Phantom. I just got it and I'm VERY new to re-amping but, I think I get the concept enough for it not be giving me this much problem.

Everything I run through it is WEAK. Signal wise anyway. The spectrum is good it's just low signal to the amp. I recorded into my DAW using the DI on my Focurise ISA One into my AD/DA. Peaks at about 4-3db in the DAW. Run everything unity back out of my Saffire 56 with a balanced TRS cable (turning to XLR Male on the Phantom Side) out of the Instrument/re-amp out on the Phantom. And with everything CRANKED on the box and on the amp... It's barely any signal to the amp. I play a guitar through the DI side and it works great! Good sounding DI... Am I missing something here or is did I just get a rare faulty box?

I really assume I'm missing something here but, I don't know.
📝 Reply