The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Fireface UFX
Old 8th November 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just managed to snag an FF800 for a reasonable price, to add another 8 inputs to my UFX (well I see now it's actually 10, it's just two are pre-amped). I won't be using anything except it's inputs.

Anything to consider, outwith just setting the FF up as a slave to the UFX?
Old 1st March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
Just managed to snag an FF800 for a reasonable price, to add another 8 inputs to my UFX (well I see now it's actually 10, it's just two are pre-amped). I won't be using anything except it's inputs.

Anything to consider, outwith just setting the FF up as a slave to the UFX?
Occasionally I've captured rehearsal sessions using a Fireface UFX and Fireface 802 simultaneously while both independently are connected to a Mac/OSX computer via their respective USB or FW connections. This process isn't unique to these or any other interfaces, but it is a way to use almost all of the preamps and MIDI ports and AES/EBU i/o of both units simultaneously (when connecting either of these units as a secondary unit via ADAT, they are limited in that circumstance to providing ad/da for 8 channels of line level i/o, not their built-in preamps, MIDI, etc).

To do this, the units are first connected together via word clock (usually the UFX as primary/clock source, and the 802 secondary/sync'd via 75 ohm word clock connection to the UFX), then both are connected via their own USB buses (or FW) to the computer (Mac/OSX) and core audio. OSX actually will let you clock multiple aggregate interfaces to a primary clock source internally in its audio devices menu, but I've never tried this with as many channels of audio as with the UFX/802.

As you might expect, having the UFX/802 connected by word clock and then running as unique USB/FW devices is rather convoluted, as they both need to run their own instances of TotalMix—which means the computer processor will get taxed harder, while monitoring everything at once can be a bit ridiculous. But in certain occasional scenarios, it has been an effective solution without any issues.
Old 30th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict
35 pages about UFX mk1... wow... (I just kinda find it interesting to check old thread haha..)
📝 Reply