The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Komplete 7
Old 23rd August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Here's the thing.

The idea is that you got to use those Komplete 6 in the meantime, unlike those other guys who sat it out. Presumably this means your life was richer --- and this means literally richer if you're a professional musician --- during this time than those who sat it out.

That's the operating theory.

I mean, you could sit out the next two or three Kompletes and rejoin when it is, like, Komplete 10 or something and pay $200 then. But would that be a smart move for you? Would life be better if you stayed on Komplete 6 and saved the dough, therefore not enjoying Komplete 7, 8, and 9 during the next intervening three or four years?

Only for you to decide. For me the answer's definitely no.

This is the beauty of the pricing structure. There's a fantastic zen balance to it.

- c
I agree completely (and I'm the guy who bought Komplete 5 just before the major price drop from 999 eur to 500 eur).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS ➡️
If you own komplete 4,5,6 + kore 2 + some of the sound set include in the new komplete bundle...
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS ➡️
...trust me you will feel like me. Because you won't be missing out on much.
I don't.

- c
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Here's the thing.

The idea is that you got to use those Komplete 6 in the meantime, unlike those other guys who sat it out. Presumably this means your life was richer --- and this means literally richer if you're a professional musician --- during this time than those who sat it out.

That's the operating theory.

I mean, you could sit out the next two or three Kompletes and rejoin when it is, like, Komplete 10 or something and pay $200 then. But would that be a smart move for you? Would life be better if you stayed on Komplete 6 and saved the dough, therefore not enjoying Komplete 7, 8, and 9 during the next intervening three or four years?

Only for you to decide. For me the answer's definitely no.

This is the beauty of the pricing structure. There's a fantastic zen balance to it.

- c
Yeah, you're right, my life is better (maybe not literally richer) from having experienced Kontakt 4 (and 4.1 especially). And basically it is true, if you are not current with Komplete, you are missing out as there is usually something great in there (often multiple great products).

K6 was not all that great for me, as GR4 and Absy5 were really not too special. Yet Kontakt4 is so great- all is in balance, as you say.

Komplete is good enough that no matter how you get there, it is a good deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
youd pay more just for the bass and abbey road drum stuff. The upgrade is a no brainer. They're pretty smart making it that way too. I'm sure they're aware all their stuff is obtainable for free. better to get 200 bucks of of a few hundred people than a few grand out of next to no one. Not to say their stuff isnt worth it, but they're operating in a real world environment.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I should have skipped Komplete 6 but hey, compared to other gear, this is all inexpensive.

k
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I ordered Komplete 6 UPG at the super price this summer. I managed to write in the wrong posting adress, and it didnt arrive at any of the postal offices. I contacted NI. First they told me to wait longer, so the post-office would return it to them. After another 2 weeks, one and a half month later than I ordered it, I asked if it had returned to them. It hadnt, and they feared that it was lost in the post. I asked if they could return my money, as I felt the upgrade to k6 was a bit redundant now that the k7 is up for order. So they returned the money promptly and without questions. Good customer-service on that part!

I do feel that the K7 is bundling alot of "expansion packs" rather than bringing alot new to the table, but for 199E I get Kontakt 4, Absynth 5 and lots of expansions, so its definetively worth it for me. I also bought the K5 at 999E right before it fell to half the price. It felt bad at the time, but as the products evolves, and the price today is something completely different, I dont feel bad. Its still the most comprehensive package of synths and samples I have seen.

And, I still have tons to learn! So for all you guys who feel there is nothing new in K7, enjoy the stuff you own! There is so much in it I have a hard time believing that most people know it fully
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego ➡️
...I'm sure they're aware all their stuff is obtainable for free....
Really?

Why did I spend £350 on Komplete 6?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterwithbutter ➡️
Really?

Because you wanted to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterwithbutter ➡️
Really?

Because you're honest and its commendable. I spent about 400 bucks on K5 when they dropped the price. They can price the upgrades however they like, all I'm saying is by making it affordable they will likely sell more net dollars worth and deter stealing it.
Old 25th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
reaktor 5.5

I'm testing it out now and it's absolutely lovely, so streamlined and fast.

Sonically it's a step up as well, as if it didn't already sound great.

Just my 2c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, it's here
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think that if this had been the policy all along, that there would be very few complaints. I think people who recently upgraded to K6 have cause to be a little disgruntled. These are the folks who have loyalty purchased legal copies and supported NI.

I think a fair system might work like this:

K2 -> K7 is a five version step. No K8 (free or discounted) for you.
K3 -> K7 is a four version step. K8 is your last (free or discounted) step.

etc., etc.

K6 -> K7 is good until K11.

In other words, the change is from a one version behind discount window to a five version window.

They might throw people who purchased the K6 upgrade a bone by giving them a coupon for buying some extras from NI. I think that might reward loyal upgraders a little.

I, myself, have not had a chance to install K6 yet, so I'll take my time and see if K8 comes out before I find fault with K5. I hope that they keep the current upgrade policy in place for a while...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like knowing if I want to jump into K17 and I'm only at K8, they'll take my same 200 bucks. Its like "you see, you like, you buy". I didn't go from 5 to 6 because I was still learning the ins and outs of 5, and there was nothing knocking me over in 6. They keep the upgrades in reach of everyone, so if you haven't purchased a product in 3 years, you're right back in the game for the same money. They've priced it to the point that getting the product thru unethical means almost isn't worth doing.
Old 26th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The best thing for me to upgrade to Komplete 6 was using my Kontakt 4 as an upgrade path. That said, I rarely use much more than Kontakt 4, Battery occasionally, Guitar Rig 4 (but my Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra completely destroys it in nearly every way), and maybe Absynth 5.

I recently did an honest evaluation of all the goods in Komplete 6 but many of the things I never use. They may be cool here and there but never a constant staple like Kontakt 4. I don't have many reasons to upgrade to 7 at least here. But my needs and style may be different than others. If it works for you, great.

If they could create a Kontakt 4 & Omnisphere bundle with upgrade paths (they won't but hey just for fun) now that would be worth any upgrade imo.
Old 30th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just to let everyone know, the Komplete 7 products are now available in stores and online dealers. I thought originally it wasn't supposed to be until September 5th or something, but I guess I was wrong.
Old 31st August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
My upgrade from Komplete 4 just arrived, and I honestly feel it is pretty realistically priced.

I'm toying with the idea of buying Kore 2, as I do use Komplete for live performance (and have used Alicia's Keys live, too).

Is Kore 2 really a game changer? What is it like for setting up and switching between "performances", live tweaking, etc.? I used to use energyXT to assemble patches (both for live performance and sequencing).

Can Kore 2 be used as a control surface in Reaper?
Old 10th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lovin' it so far!
📝 Reply