The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Radix Announces Auto-Align - An Automatic Time Alignment Plug-in
Old 14th July 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years

Auto-Align is an automatic microphone time alignment plug-in.

Time-aligning a multi-microphone setup is crucial to achieve coherent and punchier sound.
When recording an instrument with more then one mic, sound tends to reach each microphone at a slightly different time and thus cause some frequencies to cancel each-other while other frequencies can build-up unnaturally.

Auto-Align will "listen" to your multi-mic recording and will automatically measure and compensate for the delay between the microphones - sample accurate.

When distant microphones are used and a delay is desired to preserve a sense of space, Auto-Align can time-place the microphones to better match the close-mic'ed source.

For more information and to download the trial version please go to: Sound Radix - Auto-Align

Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting.

How would this be different than nudging tracks in a DAW? Is there different process that optimizes the spectral balance of the output and doesn't just go for 100% phase alignment?

I could see it coming in handy on home recorded/ amateur sessions that come in for mix that have a ton of phase issues.
Old 14th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice looking plug-in. Seems like a more advanced take on what Vocalign
does. Nudging by eye in a DAW can be done, but when one gets dozens
of tracks, especially if the clips are cut up and all out of what with each
other, this could be one lifesaver of a time-saver. Nice work on this one.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Any plans of a RTAS version ?

G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pretty cool, would be interesting to hear what it does with percussive material and how it performs alinging OH or room mics with drums close mics
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about using this for video post production?
Would this line up, sample accurately, a separate ambience/audience track for example?
Anyone tried?

🎧 15 years
Tried the demo on some guitars and.....!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Too bad, to answer my own question; with complex signals like a cheering audience, it does not work, or so it seems..
So no solution for TV audio post..
Old 15th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks pretty cool.. is this similar in concept to the Little Labs IBP?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar ➑️
Looks pretty cool.. is this similar in concept to the Little Labs IBP?
The IBP corrects phase, this corrects delay. They are two separate (but related) things.

If you want two signals perfectly aligned, technically you have to correct for both.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi guys, thanks for checking out Auto-Align!

To answer some of your questions:

Auto-Align is different then nudging tracks in DAW by actually matching the sound of the different tracks rather then the graphics.
Furthermore, in some cases it's quite difficult to determine your sync points graphically.
Auto-Align can also help you achieve a better phase match of distant microphones while keeping them distant... it can also determine if a source is reversed in polarity to its reference.

Auto-Align is different then VocAlign since it will not time-compress/expand your sound but rather move it in time.
It *is* a great time & sanity saver! ;-)

We're working on RTAS and VST versions as well.

As long as the ambience and the audience tracks are of the same performance, Auto-Align can help match those tracks.

Enclosed is a overheads-to-snare alignment example:

----
Cheers,
Nir Averbuch
Sound Radix - Auto-Align
Old 16th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've been checking this out on some multi-mic'd guitar tracks today and it's rather amazing! Time to see if it fixes some less-than-ideally tracked bass guitar...
Lives for gear

Bought it! Thanks for releasing it as 64-bit, too. Great stuff!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Hi guys, thanks for checking out Auto-Align!

To answer some of your questions:

Auto-Align is different then nudging tracks in DAW by actually matching the sound of the different tracks rather then the graphics.
Furthermore, in some cases it's quite difficult to determine your sync points graphically.
Auto-Align can also help you achieve a better phase match of distant microphones while keeping them distant... it can also determine if a source is reversed in polarity to its reference.

Auto-Align is different then VocAlign since it will not time-compress/expand your sound but rather move it in time.
It *is* a great time & sanity saver! ;-)

We're working on RTAS and VST versions as well.

As long as the ambience and the audience tracks are of the same performance, Auto-Align can help match those tracks.

Enclosed is a overheads-to-snare alignment example:

----
Cheers,
Nir Averbuch
Sound Radix - Auto-Align
Pretty awesome, indeed a time saver, great job guys this is a very useful tool, thanks for the vid
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Looks cool. How long for rtas?
Old 19th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi shatz, RTAS development is our first priority.

Cheers
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
...RTAS development is our first priority.

Cheers
Weeks...months... ?

G

🎧 15 years
i hope it's easy on the CPU?!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If all goes well, RTAS should be here in a matter of weeks. Please don't hang me if it takes few days longer... We'd rather release a well tested, rock solid version.

Auto-Align is extremely light on the CPU.

Cheers
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi!

ThatΒ΄s exactly what i needed for my recent sessions! Looking forward to the RTAS version!

My questions are:
How do i use it on drum tracks (more than just two tracks)?

Is there a "master-measure plugin" which gets a side-chain from a "slave-plugin" and which track should/must it be on drums? The OHΒ΄s? As far as i understand the function of this plugin, it detects the delay between two micΒ΄s and compenstes it. so it can only compensate the signal (f.e. snare mic) coming prior the other one (f.e. overheads), isnΒ΄t it?

And will i have to measure one track after the other?

Could you please explain using the plugin a little more in detail?

Thanks in advance.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
How many mic can be auto align at the same time???
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
If all goes well, RTAS should be here in a matter of weeks. Please don't hang me if it takes few days longer... We'd rather release a well tested, rock solid version...

Cheers
Will not hang you no

Probably gonna grab this when the RTAS is ready.

Thanks !

G
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Right now we're limited to align one track at a time. When DAW's will enable a more complex communication between channels, I'm pretty positive we could have a one-button fix for all drums.
Auto-Align can compensate for either negative or positive delay. Personally, I like to align my overheads to the snare first and then the rest of the kit to the overheads. For a step-by-step instructions, please check out our tutorial Sound Radix - Auto-Align

Cheers

🎧 10 years
Mellowmuse ATA seems to have multichannel communication - im not entirely sure how they do it,but it seems to be possible...sounds like a great plugin, you could def take it to the next level with multichannel operation!

🎧 10 years
awesome. can't wait for RTAS.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Auto-Align is different then ATA in that that it actually has to "listen" to the other channel in order to work its magic... anyway this conversation gave me an idea... ;-)

Cheers!

🎧 15 years
Nir-

How about an Audiosuite version? It would seem that once the delay has been calculated and the tracks moved, there would really be no reason to have the plugin running on an insert....?

With an workflow similar to Vocalign, It would be extremely easy to capture your snare track as a reference, and then load the other tracks (even one at a time if necessary).

Also I think a problem running this in realtime on an insert, is that if you're running any other plugins before or after it, they can induce their own latency and mess up the alignment all over again.

What do you think?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Auto-Align is different then ATA in that that it actually has to "listen" to the other channel in order to work its magic... anyway this conversation gave me an idea... ;-)

Cheers!
great product!!!

You should definetely consider multi-channel. With drums, we usually check phase/time between kick in/out, sn top/bottom first.... Then i check all against the overheads, and then finally the room mics. Your product would really help in this process, but it would still be q process, and I believe I would still use the little labs ibp plugin that has never failed me

Best of luck with your company! I will give this a try soon and if I like it I will become a customer!
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years

You know that ProTools has "plugin" as an option for output-routing on each track? ;-)
Make your plugin multi-input-able (if this is technical possible) and you're ready to go!!!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 20th July 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Great ! VST3 and AU on Mac over here.. ready to buy
πŸ“ Reply