The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper Explained - Video Tutorials - Don't Fear Reaper
Old 30th June 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Reaper Explained - Video Tutorials - Don't Fear Reaper

Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper Tutorials.

Reaper Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

Quote:
Reaper Explained - DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!

Reaper is fast becoming a truly powerful and efficient DAW, are you up to speed on it? The amazing Kenny Gioia breaks it all down for you in this awesome, in-depth series of video tutorials focusing on Cockos Reaper.

You'll learn about project creation, templates, routing, editing, using plug-ins, automation, rendering and exporting, MIDI, markers and regions and so much more. After viewing this collection, you'll be able to work and navigate Reaper like a seasoned pro. More and more people are switching to Reaper everyday, don't get left behind, and don't fear the Reaper!

Product Hightlights

β€’ 26 Tutorials / Over 4 Hours Total Runtime
β€’ For all beginner to intermediate Cockos Reaper users
β€’ Tutorials written by multi-platinum selling producer Kenny Gioia
β€’ Simple to use video control interface for Mac & PC
I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.
Old 30th June 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➑️
Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper Tutorials.

Reaper Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.
Hi Kenny,

That's great news.

I've got reaper but never had the time to really crack it.

I was looking at it as part of a mobile rig.

My question is:

Does reaper have the flexibility to do the same kind of smart routing for multiple headphone mixes like you do in one of your PT DVDs ?

Thanks a lot,

Al
Old 30th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Reaper has no limits what-so-ever when it comes to routing, as far as I know. You can even do feedback routings at your own risk.

In short: it has the most flexible routing system of any daw.

Cheers!
bManic
TRA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kenny....I want to make out with you right now! Thank you!
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
You can absolutely route anything to anywhere.

You just have to think differently sometimes.

But once you get the mindset, it makes more sense than "other" DAWs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➑️
Reaper has no limits what-so-ever when it comes to routing, as far as I know. You can even do feedback routings at your own risk.

In short: it has the most flexible routing system of any daw.

Cheers!
bManic

Quote:
You can absolutely route anything to anywhere.

You just have to think differently sometimes.

But once you get the mindset, it makes more sense than "other" DAWs.
Thanks guys,

much appreciated !

Now for some learnin'

: )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The routing really is incredible. Better than any other DAW I have used.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Wow Kenny your switching over to Reaper?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Big thanx!!

Thanx thanx Kenny for making these Tutorials especially of Reaper.

I loooove Reaper since day one but the only thing that kept me away from it it's how it behaves in how you Patch Vst instruments. Coming from C5, Studio One and so on, it's a bit hard get a vsti rolling easily with multi channels and so on. I've followed Reaper since day one and been hoping that they will address this and make Assigning VSTI more easier like other DAWs but still not ( I mean you have to always create templates of your Multi channels and so and if you look at example S1, everything is just to the point when it comes to Vsti connections). STill keeping the faith.

As for Audio capacity & routing, Reaper is the most in CPU efficient DAW I've ever worked with. Simply one of the best GREAT DAW on the market!!!

Once again, thanx Kenny!!

Cheers!
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 ➑️
Wow Kenny your switching over to Reaper?
Haven't done a full switch. Still mixing in Pro Tools. Hey. That sounds like a title. heh

But I'm starting and creating in Reaper as much as possible right now.

I'm still tied to the HD world so that holds advantages to Reaper.

But Reaper works in ReWire so I can have my cake and eat it too.

But if you're in Native land. You absolutely have to try Reaper. It's so damn efficient it's stupid. The thing is a 4MB download. No messing with your current settings or anything.

And I love the Reaper company approach.

I suggested a feature and they literally did it that day. Crazy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Absolutely. Have loved the routing in Reaper from the start. Seems like a great company as well.

I track and mix in Samplitude, though, as it has always impressed me as a more mature version of Reaper. I don't know how long that will be true, though. Reaper has some organizational/layout issues which I think are mostly leftover from its development, but I feel they'll probably be straightened out in a few years if it keeps improving at its usual phenomenal rate. I think Reaper has many many great features and is definitely one to watch. Adore its routing, particularly the possibility of doing feedback routing, as mentioned -- nice to be treated like an adult, btw.

Zealous fan base. Cool app.

Cheers.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Finally someone did it! I downloaded the manual a while ago but never had the time or energy to read it. The 30 day buy option is a very good idea and probably those who are already experienced with 1 DAW will prefer it thumbsup

I have 2 requests though, I guess you stretched the video to play a little faster? even if not, probably people who doesn't speak English as their native language will find that you're speaking too fast also in the future it would be great to watch a mastering oriented use of reaper, I read somewhere that everything is possible except burning the cd with reaper?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You can burn the CD too. Limited abilities yes (no CDTEXT for instance) but great for proofs and quick and dirties.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump ➑️
You can burn the CD too. Limited abilities yes (no CDTEXT for instance) but great for proofs and quick and dirties.
Cool! Thanks I'll look into it! (after I learn Reaper properly, thanks to kenny :D )
Old 1st July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i gotta tell you, I could've used a little more cowbell.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker ➑️
Finally someone did it! I downloaded the manual a while ago but never had the time or energy to read it. The 30 day buy option is a very good idea and probably those who are already experienced with 1 DAW will prefer it thumbsup

I have 2 requests though, I guess you stretched the video to play a little faster? even if not, probably people who doesn't speak English as their native language will find that you're speaking too fast also in the future it would be great to watch a mastering oriented use of reaper, I read somewhere that everything is possible except burning the cd with reaper?
I actual did not speed up the video. Perhaps I should slow it down. heh

Unfortunately, I just can't talk slow. My apologies.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Wow some pretty amazing things happening at the Reaper forums!
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 ➑️
Wow some pretty amazing things happening at the Reaper forums!
Very true.

I've never seen software updated at such a rate. I don't think those guys sleep.

Seriously. Ask a question. You'll have an answer within minutes.

Either by an admin, the owner or the guy who wrote the manual.

It's crazy.

I've seen 2 feature requests asked about and added to the software and released within a day.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump ➑️
Yup. I use Reaper for sequencing / processing & Sonoris DDP for the proper master.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Very true.

I've never seen software updated at such a rate. I don't think those guys sleep.

It's crazy.

I've seen 2 feature requests asked about and added to the software and released within a day.
Lots of DUC members there, it feels like the Old DUC! hehhehheh

There will be a lot of PT folks switching to this App. Check out the Reaper Vs PT editing thread.

They are taking PT editing to the next Level!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for doing this, Kenny. I think you are ahead of the curve on this one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Kenny,

Looking at the Reaper UI on your banner... do you advocate the use of those 'ProTools Mods' some of the Reaper users did? AdamWathan got it behaving really similarly from an editing and short-cut perspective, and another guy to my knowledge skinned it or customized the UI to look very similar.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Haven't done a full switch. Still mixing in Pro Tools. Hey. That sounds like a title. heh

But I'm starting and creating in Reaper as much as possible right now.

I'm still tied to the HD world so that holds advantages to Reaper.

But Reaper works in ReWire so I can have my cake and eat it too.

But if you're in Native land. You absolutely have to try Reaper. It's so damn efficient it's stupid. The thing is a 4MB download. No messing with your current settings or anything.

And I love the Reaper company approach.

I suggested a feature and they literally did it that day. Crazy

great video
never would understand the power of Reaper without watching it

would adding sends to the grouping parameters allow VCA style grouping like in HD?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi kenny, thank you for making these!
Did you time-compress that or is this your default speaking speed???
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz ➑️
Hey Kenny,

Looking at the Reaper UI on your banner... do you advocate the use of those 'ProTools Mods' some of the Reaper users did? AdamWathan got it behaving really similarly from an editing and short-cut perspective, and another guy to my knowledge skinned it or customized the UI to look very similar.
I don't have a problem with anyone modding anything in the program. That's what's so great.

I was one of the most vocal haters of the GUI in Pro Tools 8 so I have no interest in replicating it for myself. I prefer a much brighter look. But Reaper gives us the choice.

I also have little interest in replicating Pro Tools editing behavior. I find Reaper's to be much faster for me. There's a learning curve but I find it's better to use software the way it was designed than to make it emulate it in a way that it wasn't. But there's no wrong way. I just don't miss switching tools constantly. Turning Grid on and off. In Reaper you don't have to.

But Elastic Audio is still superior to Reaper and I find the Automation and Mixing in Pro Tools to be perfect.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar ➑️
Hi kenny, thank you for making these!
Did you time-compress that or is this your default speaking speed???
Unfortunately I really do talk that fast. It's magnified in that video because I jump around very quickly. All the others are more focused on one task so it's not so hard to follow.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Reaper has came up really fast......Pro Tools should take a couple of pages out of there book.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Very true.

It's crazy.

I have been into Reaper since its 0.9x release (years ago) and yeah, the community has really driven the development. Don't miss the feature request/bug report sub forum. Very very nice to have:

REAPER - Cockos Confederated Forums - Projects

Not only can you post your bug or request, but you get actual acknowledgement of it and what is being done.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ryan ➑️
Reaper has came up really fast......Pro Tools should take a couple of pages out of there book.
They're very different companies. Both have their advantages.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've viewed about half the series and have to say that this is just fantastic.

As an increasingly frustrated PT user, I've felt trapped. I own 2 HD systems, I don't think that Pro Tools is the future, but haven't seen any viable options. I've explored Reaper a bit, but simply hadn't had the opportunity to really dig in.

This series has changed all of that for me. I'm planning on spending some quality time with Reaper, because even though I may need to stay tethered to my HD system today, that is going to change some day in the future.

Thanks, Kenny, for a much needed entree into Reaper.
πŸ“ Reply