The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nuendo 5 Worldtour
Old 21st April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond ➡️
You can Solo/Mute a bunch of tracks at once by:

1. Using one of the master Solo/Mute buttons will Solo/Mute all the channels and then you can just pick which ones you don't want to.

2. You can lock together a bunch of channels and solo/mute them altogether.
It should be as simple as shift/command clicking each channel you want and then hitting solo.
Old 22nd April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
It should be as simple as shift/command clicking each channel you want and then hitting solo.

it is, select all the channels you want soloed and hit 's'

same with mute, 'm'

very simple
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Knowing N5 won't be 64 bit for Mac on launch I downloaded the demo for Studio One. After a few hours, I have to say that I may have to replace the ol' Nuendo! I am tired of waiting an extra year or 2 for the flagship product to catch up with the little brother.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nsm411 ➡️
it is, select all the channels you want soloed and hit 's'

same with mute, 'm'

very simple
well gawd damn! I never knew that. lol thanks for pointing that out. I would always hit the actual solo button and it would only solo just the one channel. But my MC Control always did it fine so I never messed around with the gui mixer as much in terms of solo.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Steinberg would say you don't know what you are talking about. Fredo said recently a company shouldn't go by what a customer wants or needs and only by what the company needs. So it makes perfect sense.
That attitude kind of explains many things about my experiences using this DAW.

Funny how half the Steinturd users are looking for that light in the distance (Studio One) as a salvation. It seems a rare individual that is actually content with using Cubase or Nuendo.

I'm also hoping Studio One gives me a viable platform to jump over to in the next few updates. I doubt 1.5 will have everything that's needed, but boy is it a good step in the right direction. The only things that bother me are the useless gimmick features like publishing your songs online from the session, or the included plug-in bundle. Once they start incorporating more professional features, and not just gimmicks for the home studio guys then they'll truly start duking it out with the big boys.
Old 23rd April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz ➡️
It seems a rare individual that is actually content with using Cubase or Nuendo.
I am that rare individual. Running Cubase 5.1 in a pro, semi-commercial studio

I know the program by heart, it does what it's supposed to do, I don't experience any of the problems people get angry about.

Herwig
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos ➡️
Was a Fail of a first release after it was built up to be the greatest DAW ever. I guess 1.5 is gonna be the greatest update ever.
You are 100 % correct thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet ➡️
I am that rare individual. Running Cubase 5.1 in a pro, semi-commercial studio

I know the program by heart, it does what it's supposed to do, I don't experience any of the problems people get angry about.

Herwig
You must work in Fredo's studio then where everything works perfectly? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I have to admit that i'm one of the rate Cubase users that doesn't have many complaints about it. The one thing that drives me nucking futs is the windows and that's about it. Could it have more features? Yes. Like every other daw. But overall, I use it for production and recording and it really gives me a great workflow. Then again, i've been in since sx3. I attempted to jump on the Protools band wagon just because alot of studios and clients I deal with use it but I just could not get the same workflow out of it. Tried Logic and I liked it better than Protools but still not coming close to Cubase for me. Thats just my option......NOW...I used the Studio One demo for like a day and got WAY closer to workflow than i ever did in Protools or Logic. If it weren't for the fact that it didn't support my FW-1884 controller and extenders, I probably would have migrated over or at least purchased it to have as a second daw. With 1.5 coming soon, i'm keeping a close eye on Studio One.
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm with the above user.

Off course there are things to be improved and the odd thing works backwards, but nothing to stop me from recording good music and producing good recordings (the weakest link in my studio is me, by far).

I have no complaints about windows, screen sets do all they have to do for me.
I have never encountered the solo/mute thing.
The only time Cubase crashes is sometimes at the end of a 'export mixdown' when one of my (old) UAD-1's decides to go MIA - and that's 1 in 20 mixdowns or so.

I created my own workflow around the program which makes me fast enough to impress clients

MY top list of stuff to improve:
- track presets should becom destination track unaware (eg. applicable to audio, fx or group channel - independent from mono, stereo,...)
- mix/automation snapshots (could make mixing choruses/verses/... easier)

happy Herwig
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
automation snapshot is a must to make my life easier.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use Nuendo is pro studio situations with no problems. We also use it at Eric Johnson's studio which is a very professional studio with no issues. I'm very happy with Nuendo and don't expect be using anything else. I am far more than content. I love working with Nuendo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Nope. I work in MY studio where Cubase has always worked since SE ver 1.heh I would say that is about 7 years without any problems.

fb
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz ➡️
I'm also hoping Studio One gives me a viable platform to jump over to in the next few updates. I doubt 1.5 will have everything that's needed, but boy is it a good step in the right direction. The only things that bother me are the useless gimmick features like publishing your songs online from the session, or the included plug-in bundle. Once they start incorporating more professional features, and not just gimmicks for the home studio guys then they'll truly start duking it out with the big boys.
Dead-on with Ermz's post. Studio One has an identity crisis.

Is it going to be a professional tool or a novice's DAW? If it's going to be a professional tool, cut out the kid stuff and put things into it that are useable.

I've asked for an innovative, professional control surface. The response I got is "what's wrong with the faderport?". Kid-stuff.

Presonus is a hardware company, for Pete's sakes. It doesn't have to be a Tango or Icon--just a little better functionally (more intelligent design) than the Sonar/Roland V-700 and fully integrated to work with their software.

If they wanted to be groundbreaking, Presonus could come up with a controller design that's completely new, more ergonomic and functional versus the standard approach currently used and at around $2k to $3k street. They own the software, they know how to do hardware--who better to redefine how a controller is implemented in the modern DAW world? Then again, (sigh), perhaps I'm asking too much....

Laser
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd ➡️
automation snapshot is a must to make my life easier.
It's there. I use it every day. Nuendo 4's automation system is the main feature that sets it apart from the rest for me. It's been around for at least two years. Are you sure you've looked into it?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
lovin nuendo too

I also use nuendo everyday on professional projects.
I love it and wont turn back.
I also have pro tools HD for outside engineers who come work here, but when I show them what nuendo can do better than protools they all "get it" instantly.
its a no brainer when you can show someone side by side the features that nuendo has that protools doesnt.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And by the way, I use Nuendo every day in a professional post production environment and honestly I have not experienced any of those unusual problems. My system is very stable and handles everything I throw at it (ie 90 min projects with 120+ audio tracks and loads of plugins). I really don't understand what some chaps are complaining about. It seems like they don't actually use Nuendo and have only developed some negative views based on things they've heard or misheard elsewhere.
And no, I don't work for Steinberg.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's there. I use it every day. Nuendo 4's automation system is the main feature that sets it apart from the rest for me. It's been around for at least two years. Are you sure you've looked into it?
I guess you are going to have to show me where it is. I can't find a snapshot function anywhere on the automation panel and there's no mention of it anywhere in the manual that I can find. How do you use snapshot?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
What's about with Reaper? Perfect solution for those, who can't afford Nuendo (~2000$), StudioOne (499$)! Reaper's Price - 255$. if You don't do pro stuff - only 60$.

I'm everyday Nuendo user (and love it) but this little freaky reaper has some options, that Nuendo hasn't. You can drop in stereo file in mono channel, e.t.c. Very easy to remake channel from mono to stereo, e.t.c. Old good Nuendo need's make new channel with desired count of streams (mono/stereo/x.x) and copy material, plugins, eq's, sends from existing one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazznfunk ➡️
What's about with Reaper? Perfect solution for those, who can't afford Nuendo (~2000$), StudioOne (499$)! Reaper's Price - 255$. if You don't do pro stuff - only 60$.

I'm everyday Nuendo user (and love it) but this little freaky reaper has some options, that Nuendo hasn't. You can drop in stereo file in mono channel, e.t.c. Very easy to remake channel from mono to stereo, e.t.c. Old good Nuendo need's make new channel with desired count of streams (mono/stereo/x.x) and copy material, plugins, eq's, sends from existing one.
No you don't.... I can quite happily drop a stereo file unto a mono track or viceversa.
With track presets I can copy plug-in settings from one mono track to a stereo one...
El Manual is your friend in this case.

I've been using Nuendo since v2 here, and for the most part I'm very happy with it.
There have been a few bugs that have been cumbersome, but nothing that has stopped me from doing work.
And the ease of use, functionality and results I've had from Nuendo more than make up for some of the bugs that have affected me.
I really can't think of another daw I'd rather work with, either on the Mac or PC.
Cheers,

Joe
Old 26th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joris de man ➡️
No you don't.... I can quite happily drop a stereo file unto a mono track or viceversa.
With track presets I can copy plug-in settings from one mono track to a stereo one...
El Manual is your friend in this case.

I've been using Nuendo since v2 here, and for the most part I'm very happy with it.
There have been a few bugs that have been cumbersome, but nothing that has stopped me from doing work.
And the ease of use, functionality and results I've had from Nuendo more than make up for some of the bugs that have affected me.
I really can't think of another daw I'd rather work with, either on the Mac or PC.
Cheers,

Joe

I totally agree. Imagine if Steinberg actually supported it fully though. Bugs take forever to get fixed if at all. Cubase 5 has been out over a year with a lot of great features that Nuendo hasn't gotten. That kind of stuff is what I have a problem with, not the actual program itself per se.
📝 Reply