The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mellowmuse CP2V - Vintage Compressor Plugin
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Mellowmuse CP2V - Vintage Compressor Plugin

The latest addition to the Mellowmuse range: the vintage styled CP2V compressor.

It features a 4x oversampled, multi stage compression algorithm
with output saturation for a smoother, more colored sound than our CP1A.

Win/OSX VST/AU/RTAS
More info and demo download here: Mellowmuse Software : CP2V

best
Gary

Mellowmuse Software
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sound pretty good after some demoing! thumbsup
Old 9th April 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
cool sounding!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Like it.thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ok, will have to buy this. Great tool to tame unruly rock voices without loosing attitude and "spit".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Problem with "drop out" demos is that if you use more of the plugins on the same and other tracks the tune you're working on will fall apart completely.
Demo restrictions are a necessary evil, and this one instance where iloks are actually cool . [/rant]

Still sounds nice tho.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson ➑️
Problem with "drop out" demos is that if you use more of the plugins on the same and other tracks the tune you're working on will fall apart completely.
Demo restrictions are a necessary evil, and this one instance where iloks are actually cool . [/rant]

Still sounds nice tho.
How often/frequent are the dropouts? I've tried a couple of plugs in the past where they had noise bursts like every 5-6 seconds. It's completely impossible to judge anything like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley ➑️
How often/frequent are the dropouts? I've tried a couple of plugs in the past where they had noise bursts like every 5-6 seconds. It's completely impossible to judge anything like that.
It's not unresonable but the gaps between dropouts could be a little longer.

No major gripe.
Old 10th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the positive comments.
In demo mode the silence is only inserted after a couple of minutes, not straight away. It can be reset by reloading the plugin.

Gary
Mellowmuse
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Gary,

This one sounds really nice, as I already said, a nice blend of saturation and compression.

By the way, did you got my email (from Jay Key) ?

I did suggested a vintage EQ with harmonics enhancements and bands interactions, kind of EQ2V.

And why not an analog/digital clipper too ?

Let's keep us in touch heh.
Reviews Editor

Nice plug, is it a really a levelling amplifier concept or I got it wrong?

Just one wish: a manual with in-depth specs. heh

Regards from Brazil!

🎧 10 years
i tried it, but didnt like it because of the drive knob.
the drive knob should be volume compensated!

an output fader is missing

i liked the CP1A much more
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droogs ➑️

You didn't like it just because of a "missing" output knob ?

You gotta be joking ;-)...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I tried both the CP2V and CP1A. I like them, but the meter ballistics seem a bit funky to me. On the strongest signal peaks, when the needle should be at the most extreme GR setting, it's always in a solid and steady release motion.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droogs ➑️

"The vintage styled CP2V, is a track and program compressor, that captures the smoothness and harmonic richness of analogue circuits, in an easy to use package.

Turning the Compression control gradually increases the compression ratio while lowering the threshold. The Drive level is then used to adjust for the drop in output and to add saturation to the compressed signal."
Old 11th April 2010 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You didn't like it just because of a "missing" output knob ?

You gotta be joking ;-)...
nahh that was not the reason,
i compared it to the uad LA2 and softube tubetech!heh
did few tests on drums, ebass, egit, keys, strings and vox!

no chance against them but the gui looks great

i dont like plugins where the resolution of very important knobs or functions are not done right!

like the wavearts sat!

every drive setting above 25% is hurting the program material in a bad way!

it should be volume compensated, this feat is essential to me!
without volume compensation its missing an output fader! period
coz if u mess around with the drive knob u always have decrease the volume

just the same thang like with the SoundToys decicap!

i want lil bit saturation, but get plus 8 db volume change by turning the drive knob lil bit!
thats bad!

a very very good example for volume compensated, good sounding comp plug is the new FERRIC comp from bootsy!(version 1.5)

i hate syntedit plugs coz they are unstable in cubase 4.5.2 but ferric is just GREAT! in every way
with free plugins with these quality, i am judging commercial plugins very hard!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➑️
You didn't like it just because of a "missing" output knob ? You gotta be joking ;-)...
I agree and I'm not joking. It's a nice sounding compressor, but what good is the processing when it jacks up the output volume without an attenuator to bring it back down. Design flaw.

Software designs are supposed to be the future. They should do everything hardware can do and add things that hardware can't do. What's the use of progress when it handicaps you?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
K-Slash: This one sounds really nice, as I already said, a nice blend of saturation and compression.
By the way, did you got my email (from Jay Key) ?
I did suggested a vintage EQ with harmonics enhancements and bands interactions, kind of EQ2V.
And why not an analog/digital clipper too ?
Thanks Jay, the CP2V is part of a new vintage series of plugins where the emphasis will be on coloration, there's several things in the pipelines along those lines. btw: I checked for you email, but couldn't see it.

Quote:
diogo_c: Nice plug, is it a really a levelling amplifier concept or I got it wrong?
Only in the way the Drive and Compression controls interact.

Quote:
droog: i dont like plugins where the resolution of very important knobs or functions are not done right!
Glad to hear your opinion, the CP2V isn't a saturation plugin though. The Drive knob is a gain makeup knob for use once the compression level has been set - in the same vain as the LA2A, maybe you feel the same way about the LA2A's operation. I take you point that it makes varying saturation level less flexible though, so I'll consider the options in the next update.

Quote:
Studio Addict: It's a nice sounding compressor, but what good is the processing when it jacks up the output volume without an attenuator to bring it back down.
?? The Compression control is the attenuator.

best
Gary

Mellowmuse Software

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Glad to hear your opinion, the CP2V isn't a saturation plugin though. The Drive knob is a gain makeup knob for use once the compression level has been set - in the same vain as the LA2A, maybe you feel the same way about the LA2A's operation. I take you point that it makes varying saturation level less flexible though, so I'll consider the options in the next update.

Quote:
The Drive knob is a gain makeup
ok, i thought its a real "drive" knob!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ok, i thought its a real "drive" knob!
It is in that it Drives the output section, so adding progressively more saturation, as it compensates for the attenuation of the Compressor.

I see a manual is in order after all! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy ➑️
The Drive knob is a gain makeup knob for use once the compression level has been set
I stand corrected, then. Thanks for letting us know. I also thought it was a saturation knob.

🎧 10 years
I really love the this compressor! great on drums, vocals, bass, instruments...
congrats for this great vst, this is not one more compressor vst!
This is a serious compressor vst!

Thanks a lot!!!

Greetings from Portugal!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks Jay, the CP2V is part of a new vintage series of plugins where the emphasis will be on coloration, there's several things in the pipelines along those lines. btw: I checked for you email, but couldn't see it.

best
Gary

Mellowmuse Software
That's good to know for the series, and if I may add a "saturation" plugin, why not. I'm all in.

Well I just sent it again at the sales and support addresses from your website. Keep me in touch ;-).

🎧 10 years
interesting.

I like the simple LA2A kind of approach

Will give it a try

-Alxi
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Both the physical location and the nomenclature of the "drive" knob are misleading.

Makes you think it literally does the exact opposite of what it does. Quite a curious aesthetic choice. But interesting nonetheless. I'm not from the school that everything needs to be the same as everything else, so I'm not against it. I just think it's an eccentric design choice.

- c
Old 12th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Did not test this one yet,
but It might work a bit like the Massey CT4...

G
Old 13th April 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley ➑️
I tried both the CP2V and CP1A. I like them, but the meter ballistics seem a bit funky to me. On the strongest signal peaks, when the needle should be at the most extreme GR setting, it's always in a solid and steady release motion.
I'm having similar experinces as well (Gary?). Ballistics issue aside, I'm enjoying the CP2V quite a bit. I love the simplicity and sound. I've found I can dial in a generous portion of compression without the signal suffering much; very much like a hardware LA-2A. It may be worth noting I'm demoing the CP2V and not a registered owner at the moment.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTone ➑️
I'm having similar experinces as well (Gary?). Ballistics issue aside, I'm enjoying the CP2V quite a bit. I love the simplicity and sound. I've found I can dial in a generous portion of compression without the signal suffering much; very much like a hardware LA-2A.
Thanks, an update will be out soon to address the bug with meter ballistics.
I've also added a bypass switch and switched the positions of the drive(output)/compression controls to clear up any confusion.

Quote:
It may be worth noting I'm demoing the CP2V and not a registered owner at the moment.
Appreciate your candor.

Gary Newby
Mellowmuse Software
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks, an update will be out soon to address the bug with meter ballistics.
I've also added a bypass switch and switched the positions of the drive(output)/compression controls to clear up any confusion.

Appreciate your candor.

Gary Newby
Mellowmuse Software
Sounds cool...thanks Gary.
Lives for gear

I'm quite enjoying this comp! I bought it after testing it out for less than 20min. Sounds great on some trumpet and piano that I'd been using some hardware comps on.

I love the window reflection in the VU meter, too.heh
πŸ“ Reply