The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
This is the Shit
Old 10th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They need some serious help with their website and promo.

Until now, noone could explain what these other algorithms of them do exactly!
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo
It's there, just poke around.
Yeah? Then I must be blind!

Why don't you post a link?

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener
They need some serious help with their website and promo.

Until now, noone could explain what these other algorithms of them do exactly!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...=asc&start=300

he explains it in detail(the developer).

@lagerunit: just try the demo.
Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamm

he explains it in detail(the developer).

@lagerunit: just try the demo.
When they make a Mac version I will.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamm

he explains it in detail(the developer)
Thanks. So it's a system for people with hearing loss. Interesting!
Old 11th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BTW, there's a new version of the 3-band on their website. It's 1.81 instead od 1.59.
theother
Quote:
BTW, there's a new version of the 3-band on their website. It's 1.81 instead od 1.59.
You guys are doing my head in!! heh

All I have is this link and there is no damn 3-band EQ!

http://refinedaudiometrics.com/pages/1/index.htm

Could you post a link please!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
Could you post a link please!
Midway down on this site
http://refinedaudiometrics.com/pages/16/index.htm
theother
cool thanks! No surprise I didn't find it when it's buried within the text of the 10-band!
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This eq sounds great I advise everyone to download the freebie b4 it ends
Old 22nd November 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi
This eq sounds great I advise everyone to download the freebie b4 it ends
It sounds very very good. It is very tight, and extraordinarily low in digital artifacts. It is certainly vastly superior to the Renaissance EQ, as a point of reference. That promotional offer for a free three-band is the best thing going. At $100 it would still be the best thing going.
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkaven
It sounds very very good It is certainly vastly superior to the Renaissance EQ, as a point of reference.

Jesus! Not exactly the best point of reference.... I don't like Renaissance EQ at all!

I know some people do.... not trying to bash them,
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
Jesus! Not exactly the best point of reference.... I don't like Renaissance EQ at all!

I know some people do.... not trying to bash them,
I don't like it either. I'm only giving an arbitrary point of reference. You could compare it to the Weiss as well.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I use Nuendo and Pro Tools, and this is the first eq I've ever used that did no harm. It sounded great. I even used it on Overheads. Only drawback is that I could only run a couple. Its hungry. It worked well with Nuendo 2. Only bug was on recalling a preset some of the graphics didn't appear correctly until toggled.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
First of all. This Eq sounds simply GREAT!

Sory for being stupi but, can perhaps someone explain the System 1000, 2000 and 5000 thing on their website?
I simply did not understand it. What do these algorithms do?

First off, it is great to see David releasing some of his work into the general plug-in pool. Kyma users appreciate his contributions over the years. Personally, I like his his take on the Neve Masterpiece the best and his limiters are quite good along with his filters. While I agree that his website could certainly use an overhaul and the GUI isn't particularly sharp, his DSP chops are first rate.

A long time ago he talked about the idea behind the System series, so the following is based on 4 year old information. Without question it has been updated and tweaked over time. However, the basic principle is the likely still similar.

The System series is designed for those losing their hearing but find normal hearing aids disappointing in terms of listening to music. Most hearing aids do little but boost the sound in the voice range in a most indiscriminate way.

Basically, the concept is "Psychoacoustic Loudness Compression" (PLC) across phase-linear bandpass filters. The band are spaced 1/3 octave from 250 hz to 8k hz. Known as the critical bands it is the tested range generally, though newer test may also go higher. PLC is non-linear. The basic problem is most compressors work in amplitude (SPL), but we don't hear in SPL as the Fletcher-Munson curve illustrates (though that is for sine waves and doesn't translate quite so well for complex waves). PLC is similar to Dobly B and C encoding where preemphasis is applied only at the faintest levels in the sound.

To quote David in another thread talking about PLC:

"But unlike Dolby compression which sometimes uses a hard limiter in parallel with the direct signal, we use a compressor that has a negative compression slope of -1.67. That means that for every dB rise in signal level above threshold, the output level actually drops by 0.6 dB."

(btw, he is not talking about the System series here but a PLC example object he posted to the Kyma user group.)

"When you combine this negative compression in a mixer with a delay compensated direct signal you get the classical ski-slope shaped compression on your signal, but this time, we have the curvature of that ski-slope matched to our human hearing which carries an exponent of nonlinearity of around 0.6 for sounds above 40 dBSPL (most all of what we normally listen to is above that level)."

The compression ratios for each band is determined by your audiology report. You just plug in your audiology values and the program calulates the ratios (which have other factors as well). The ratios are generally quite mild when all is said and done.

I tested a very stripped down and modified version for the Kyma system with a music loving grandfather and am happy to say he was very pleased.

edit:

Ah, I just saw the link to David's explanation. It is clear they use far more bands than discussed above (please see my disclaimer ) as well as model for more than I covered, but hopefully, I added a bit of context.
Old 24th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I tried the demo yesterday and I have to say it sounds more then great! Creamy... But it did crash my Nuendo 2.2 system and it is hungry. So I'll give it another try this evening in the down-time.....

Harrie
Old 7th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
hey everyone! came across this way too late! can someone please send me the installer of the free-plugin via email? this would be greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!
thanks slutz!
rock on!
pat
Old 9th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
is this some come-on to get hits?... there is no free plugin anywhere
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161
is this some come-on to get hits?... there is no free plugin anywhere
there was for some months, but now the 3-band version costs 150$ (used to be free).
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys
hey everyone! came across this way too late! can someone please send me the installer of the free-plugin via email? this would be greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!
thanks slutz!
rock on!
pat
Hi!
Did you already get it? Otherwise I could send it to you.
Just PM me.
📝 Reply