The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amtec PEQ-10 (pultec type EQ with shelf) NEW.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up Amtec PEQ-10 (pultec type EQ with shelf) NEW.

Looks like a nice update to the old Pultec PEQ-1A..

Amtec PEQ-10 Pultec style EQ

SPECIFICATIONS

LOW FREQUENCY SECTION:
Shelving Boost: 0 to +16dB
Shelving Attenuation: 0 to -20dB @ 20, 30, 60, 100 Hz
HIGH FREQUENCY SECTION:
Peaking Boost:
0 to +18dB (Sharp Bandwidth)
0 to +8dB (Broad Bandwidth) @ 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5.6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20 kHz, 10kHz shelf.
Shelving Attenuation: 0 to -18dB @ 5, 10, 20, 40 kHz
Gain: 0dB +/-0.5dB
Input Impedance: >1.8 KΩ, balanced
Output Impedance: 50Ω, balanced and floating
Maximum Output Level: >+20dBu (1% THD) [600Ω]
Frequency Response: better than 2Hz..40kHz -3dB [600 ohms]
Tubes: (1) ECC82/12AU7, (1) ECC83/12AX7
Power Requirements: 115V or 230V (factory option), 12VA

We actually ordered a few of these, I'll report back when they get here..
Old 17th August 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King ➑️
We actually ordered a few of these, I'll report back when they get here..
I like the stepped pots much better! And now you KNOW where the Shelving Filter is with the proper nomenclature attached. Its not a mystery secret setting anymore!! Also, Lukasz took away 1K, and changed 6K to 5.6K.
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

While drooling and dreaming about it, I couldn't get an answer myself...

Can you explain me how the peak and shelf work at the same time? How do I boost and/or cut those?
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz ➑️
Can you explain me how the peak and shelf work at the same time? How do I boost and/or cut those?
When you select "SH" [Shelf] it turns the Mid band into a 10K shelving Filter, and the Peak Dip curve for the other frequency selections are no longer available in that setting. The mid band is boost only from 0 to +18dB (Sharp Bandwidth) or 0 to +8dB (Broad Bandwidth) in either setting.
Old 19th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are all the pots detented?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
When you select "SH" [Shelf] it turns the Mid band into a 10K shelving Filter, and the Peak Dip curve for the other frequency selections are no longer available in that setting. The mid band is boost only from 0 to +18dB (Sharp Bandwidth) or 0 to +8dB (Broad Bandwidth) in either setting.
Now I get it, thanks a lot... this unit is really turning me on... gotta do a budget plan until
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
this unit rocks !

what was the reason/idea to change 6 khz to 5.6 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cichy ➑️
this unit rocks !

I have to check it out we did some manley pultecs and I've heard a Peach. I think one day it's time to get the real thing
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=George Necola;4489692]I have to check it out

I had 2 pcs at home for sometime - I love bass from this unit !
I think to buy them .... but for now I'm out of budget
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 ➑️
Are all the pots detented?
Yup, except the Low Band Boost and Cut. That remains the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichy
Not Sure, other than my presumption of Lukasz carefully listening and analyzing, and then choosing the most "musical" and as pleasing center points, as he can. I will ask him, and return with an answer.

Other important bits of info for you about the upgrade; as recently sent to us from AMTEC headquarters.

Quote:
The high frequency attenuation steps are as follows:
-1/-2/-3/-4/-6/-8/-10/-13/-16/-20dB

In the high frequency boost section the steps are 1.5dB (up to +15dB) in the sharpest position.

The Bandwidth knob lowers the maximum boost from +15dB (in SHARP position) to +7.5dB (in BROAD position) in 0.75dB steps.

In the shelf mode the BANDWIDTH knob should be set fully counter clockwise (SHARP) position, but when the 1.5dB of the Boost step is too severe then the Bandwidth knob can be used for finer setting.

Lukasz
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
More about the re-designed PEQ-10 from home base.

Quote:
Hi Adam, I'm very glad indeed that you like the new PEQ-10 so much. The redesigning took many months and it's very pleasant to know that it was worthwhile.

The original Pultec had 5kHz frequency between 4 and 8kHz bands. I thought it was too low, so in the PEQ-1A there was 6Khz, but it's seemed to me a bit on the higher side, so when redesigning the whole HF boost section (there is different, more linear inductor and different capacitors and Q's of the filters are more similar to the original Pultec) I decided to position the band more evenly between 4 and 8Khz bands. "Evenly" in musical, logarithmic sense. Theoretically it should be 5.65kHz.
Because of the new inductor I had to get rid of the 1kHz boost frequency.
There's no way to wind so many turns on the inductor.

There is one thing in the new PEQ-10 that should be said. It gets warmer than the PEQ-1A and proper ventilation is very important. Please let customers know that the PEQ-10 should not be mounted above other hot equipment.

Thanks!
Lukasz
Get those puppies vented right Rob!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
More about the re-designed PEQ-10 from home base.

Get those puppies vented right Rob!
Guess we shouldn't stack all 4 of them in an 8 space rack?

Looking forward to friday's UPS delivery.

Rob
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Can the older version (Amtec PEQ-1A) be upgraded to the newer version?
Old 20th August 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova ➑️
Can the older version (Amtec PEQ-1A) be upgraded to the newer version?
Hi Nova,

I hope this below answer helps. If you would like to have your unit updated, you can contact me and I can find out the logistics for you, when Lukasz is able to modify a PEQ-1A. I can tell you that we have a PEQ-1A in the studio, and don't really want to pull it out of the rack. Its been a priceless addition to my sessions as is.

Quote:
Hi Adam,

the PEQ-1A cannot be upgraded to the PEQ-10 easily. It would require the new filter PCB, the new front panel or drilling the old one.There are changes to the tube amplifier as well and the PCB from the PEQ-10 would not fit. Perhaps I should make "upgrade kit" for the PEQ-1A, but it would take a few months. Frankly I don't think the PEQ-1A is bad in any way, I'm very proud of it.

Hope that helps.

Best
Lukasz
As you can see, I certainly agree with that last sentence.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the information Adam. I own the original Amtec PEQ-1A and was simply curious. Perhaps if upgrade information becomes available in the future you could post a note on the Mercenary website. You have to figure that Lukasz made changes for a reason...it might be nice to have an upgrade path similar to Chandler Limited with the TG Channel MkI and MkII.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova ➑️
Thanks for the information Adam. I own the original Amtec PEQ-1A and was simply curious. Perhaps if upgrade information becomes available in the future you could post a note on the Mercenary website. You have to figure that Lukasz made changes for a reason...it might be nice to have an upgrade path similar to Chandler Limited with the TG Channel MkI and MkII.
10-4! I will talk to him and see what he thinks, so we can make this a reality and an option for people that want to upgrade their 1A. As shown above, it might take some effort, but IME, its probably worth the price of admission for many people. I still love the PEQ-1A though. The PEQ-10 is rocking and we're all pumped for this new revison! We certainly may add another to our rack, for diversity. However a matched set of either is the dawgs bollocks!!
Old 21st August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am sticking with my pair of PEQ 1's *–*indeed*–*not bad EQ's at all* –*actually a stellar one. It's hard to believe these could be even better, so I am curious how the new version is sounding. Also- the additional heat is a big issue to me –*when I fire up Lynx Aurora with both Pultecs I feel like in coal mine 300 feet below the surface...

M
Old 10th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Finally get to play with these babies! I'll post back soon..My friend Brian has been using them on a record while I was out of town and he is digging them. thumbsup

Rob

Old 11th September 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The AMTEC PEQ-10 Rack of DOOM!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Holy crap!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did a little listening session against my friends Vintage Pultec EQP1-A last night. We both agreed that the Amtec's Low end was "Butter". Unbelievable clarity and warmth. Overall we both prefered the Amtec. On the High end The vintage Unit seemed a little more pleasing on the top 16K band. Neither was really better and both seemed better for different applications. The 10K Shelf seemed to be very sweet with only a 2-3 db boost. Any more than this on Program material and it seemed a bit too bright. On snare drum The low end of the vintage unit was just right were the Amtec doesn't get as "Huge and Flabby". On Bass and Kick drum the Amtec seemed to shine really nicely. Seriously, the low end on this EQ is magic! To me the Amtecs seem like a Pultec and a GML had a baby. The EQ is suprisingly clean (Which I actually love about it) but extremely smooth and no noise. No doubt about it, these EQ's are top notch and well designed. They have a bit of weight to them and are pretty sexy to look at in person. A very happy customer.
Old 12th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
10-4! I will talk to him and see what he thinks, so we can make this a reality and an option for people that want to upgrade their 1A. As shown above, it might take some effort, but IME, its probably worth the price of admission for many people. I still love the PEQ-1A though. The PEQ-10 is rocking and we're all pumped for this new revison! We certainly may add another to our rack, for diversity. However a matched set of either is the dawgs bollocks!!
I have a pair of the original PEQ-1A's which practically lives on the 2-bus when mixing. I've dreamt about having a shelving HF available, just to add a little more "Amtec sheen" in those situations when a 12k boost sounds wonderful, and you wish you also could add a little 16k+.....

Probably a stupid question, but would the new Amtec PEQ-10 solve that "problem"? I guess it would..... :-).

An upgrade would be wonderful, but it would be more practical to buy a couple of PEQ-10's instead, freeing the PEQ-1A's to other duties during mixdown :-). These things rock!

Stein Tore
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King ➑️
To me the Amtecs seem like a Pultec and a GML had a baby. The EQ is surprisingly clean (Which I actually love about it) but extremely smooth and no noise.
Rob, AGREE on ALL points, but this one is quite potent to me.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steins ➑️
I have a pair of the original PEQ-1A's which practically lives on the 2-bus when mixing. I've dreamt about having a shelving HF available, just to add a little more "Amtec sheen" in those situations when a 12k boost sounds wonderful, and you wish you also could add a little 16k+.....

Probably a stupid question, but would the new Amtec PEQ-10 solve that "problem"? I guess it would..... :-).
If I understood you correctly; the answer is: not really unless you bought two more units. The mid band operation is one selection at a time, so if your using the [10K-SH] shelving, your not using the the bell selection @ 16K. You could dial in the HF attenuation at 10K or 20K to get a cool effect in conjunction with the 10K Shelving boost. OR, the 16K bell. Whatever works.

Quote:
An upgrade would be wonderful, but it would be more practical to buy a couple of PEQ-10's instead, freeing the PEQ-1A's to other duties during mixdown :-). These things rock!

Stein Tore
I have to agree.
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If I understood you correctly; the answer is: not really unless you bought two more units. The mid band operation is one selection at a time, so if your using the [10K-SH] shelving, your not using the the bell selection @ 16K. You could dial in the HF attenuation at 10K or 20K to get a cool effect in conjunction with the 10K Shelving boost. OR, the 16K bell. Whatever works.
I understand that. What I meant was being able to dial in a 10k shelving boost instead of using bell boosts. If I understand correctly, this is the new addition to the PEQ-10. And a very welcome addition it is!

Stein Tore
Old 11th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 10K Shelving boost is where you get the most high end out of this unit. The high end is a bit more subtle than a Vintage Pultec, but still super smooth. This is a new feature on the PEQ-10. These EQ's are pretty damn good.
Old 1st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Can you "pop the hood" on one and take a picture? heh
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you scroll down on this photo link you can see several hi-res photos of the inside of the unit:

<http://www.m221b.com/Amtec/AmtecPEQ10HI.html>
πŸ“ Reply