The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MJE-K47 Capsule & Mod Suite
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MJE-K47 Capsule & Mod Suite

Short and sweet...

..I've finally found a capsule manufacturer who can produce K47-style capsules (single and double sided) to my performance, quality control and price specifications.

After extensive testing, I am now using these capsules to replace overly-bright and sibilant K67-style capsule found in many low cost mics. Full details at my site. Visit now and stop back in the near future for more pictures and sound samples as well.
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
awesome Michael! I hope I can get this mod at some point (I have to get the mic first though heh)
Old 27th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks! The good news is this mod is ideal for super low cost LDC mics (like a Nady SCM-800/ 900) that would benefit from a capsule replacement and circuit upgrade.

Speaking of which. I love the small headbasket on the SCM-800. It can be modified to get close to that lovely MK-219 lower midrange push. Next to the MCA SP-1 this is my favorite super low cost mic. Oh, and the $120, three-pattern, FET / transformer-coupled CAD GXL3000 is an excellent platform for the MJE-K47 Mod Suite for those who are looking for a high quality multi-pattern mic to take to U 87 shoot outs.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Marshal mxl 2001?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes. Replacing the 2001's stock K67-type capsule with the MJE-K47S reduces HF peaking before the transformer so it doesn't distort as early and sounds better as result - both the spectral balance is better AND distortion is lowered. The headbasket, wiring and electronic upgrades in the rest of the mod suite improve transient response, reduce reflection & diffraction coloration and improve detail.

Because the MJE-K47 single or double-sided capsules are drop in replacements for stock 32mm and 34mm capsules it really comes down asking yourself "does this mic sound balanced and free from excessive brightness, "eshyness" and sibilance? If you're happy with the mic's performance save your money and enjoy the mic. If on the other hand you can answer yes to the question above the MJE-K47 Mod Suite can help.
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Short and sweet...

..I've finally found a capsule manufacturer who can produce K47-style capsules (single and double sided) to my performance, quality control and price specifications.

After extensive testing, I am now using these capsules to replace overly-bright and sibilant K67-style capsule found in many low cost mics. Full details at my site. Visit now and stop back in the near future for more pictures and sound samples as well.
Hey Mike if you don't mind asking, who exactly manufactures this capsule?

And are you going to sell them like the way Peluso sells his capsules??

Speaking of Peluso, why not use his PK47 capsule? I thought that was a pretty good K47 attempt??

Peace
Illumination
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➑️
Hey Mike if you don't mind asking, who exactly manufactures this capsule?
i was asking myself the very same thing but didn't dare to ask, i'm sure it's a SECRET
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The manufacturer producing the MJE-K47 to my specification supplies capsules to several well-respected, big name microphone companies (not low cost "re-branders" btw).

Because of the sensitive nature of these strategic alliances, I have been asked to protect confidentiality between the capsule manufacturer and their microphone company clients and have agreed not to disclose the name of either the capsule manufacturer or their client microphone companies. Indeed, the only way to gain access to and work with a capsule manufacturer of this stature is to demonstrate, over time, a high degree of sensitivity to their business model and that of their client companies. Mutual trust building must occur and this does not happen out of the blue or between companies without track records.

re: Peluso capsules - they are indeed excellent capsules. However, I encountered stiff pricing resistance from my clients to the cost of the Peluso P-K47 capsule. In order to offer a more affordable K47-type solution I had to find an alternative source, build a business relationship and commit to high quantity purchases. It has been a long research, development and business relationship-building process to identify a company with the experience, computer automated manufacturing and testing facilities that can produce high quality K47-type capsules to my specifications for frequency response, consistency (front-to-back & capsule-to-capsule) and price. As a side note, the frequency response consistency has been remarkable: response within +/- 0.3 dB of reference standard across the spectrum when comparing front to back side response (but each capsule will still be supplied with an individual anechoic plot).

Because these capsules carry my name and I want to ensure a high quality experience with them, I will not offer them as stand-alone units for DIY'ers and will only build them into microphones under my control. OktavaMod / Michael Joly Editions is a systemic approach to microphone design and / or upgrade that involves a suite of specific parts, tools, techniques and testing procedures. It is for these reasons I've never offered DIY kits or instructions (the quality of the final results can not be guranteed) and I prefer to only offer a complete service under my personal control.

The Peluso P-K47 remains an excellent choice for DIY'ers and is available directly from Peluso Microphone Labs. However I will say the MJE-K47 capsules have a bit lower diaphragm resonant frequency tuning and thus are a bit more "robust" while the P-K47 is a bit "leaner" in the upper-bass / lower-midrange.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Michael,

Will you still offer any of the Peluso products as options for any of your upgrades?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking

Fair enough.

Obviously its not Thiersh or Peluso then.

Seeing as how the Peluso is coming in at $225, compared to closer to $400 for a Thiersh M7 and higher for other capsules like a Neumann K47, you actually had people complaining about a sub $300 hit for a capsule??

Your upgrade seems within reason.

What do you charge to "just" install the capsule??

Ya know like someone like myself sends you a mic with a bunch of upgrades already installed. Like I'd love to hear one of these in a Royer circuit. Have you considered that angle? Or is it completely out of the question for you to just install capsules?

I can see how maybe someone might want to try this in a Pearlman TM1.

Peace
Illumination
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Saw this on your site recently.

Looks like a sweet addition to your line-up! Glad to see you constantly adding new and better products. Can't wait to make my next OktavaMod purchase!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Congrats Michael. Look forward to hearing one soon.....

Ya got me thinking.... heh heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed ➑️
Michael,

Will you still offer any of the Peluso products as options for any of your upgrades?
I've got a small supply of Peluso capsules and transformers in stock so in theory I could do some jobs using them. But as I mentioned above I've encountered some pricing resistance so I'm not going to feature these parts on my site. They really are a great value in my opinion, but my client base doesn't seem to share that opinion to a great extent.

Perceived value is so subjective! I get a kick out of forun questions that go something like "what's the best $800-1000 microphone?" The questioner obviously believes there is a linear relationship between price and quality and they've got $800-$1000 burning a hole in their pocket. The OktavaMod 219 PE or 319 PE never gets mentioned in answers to this question because it costs way less than $800. But I've got demos of these mics up against $4000+ mics where the OktavaMod clearly matches the quality of the more expensive mics.

So with the Peluso capsules and transformers it comes down to this - the market has dictated its percieved value to me, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➑️
What do you charge to "just" install the capsule??Ya know like someone like myself sends you a mic with a bunch of upgrades already installed. Like I'd love to hear one of these in a Royer circuit. Have you considered that angle? Or is it completely out of the question for you to just install capsules?
For the reasons above I'm not going to do that type of work. The value I want to provide to clients requires a systemic approach, I don't see my work as just tube-rolling or capsule swapping. I have certain sonic goals in mind and I want to ensure everything with my name attached to it is consistent with those goals.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ben Sneesbys look very similar to your design. If so your on a winner.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
with mk012?

Does this work with the Oktava MK012? Not sure if it's a 22mm SDC or not...
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can you supe up my old Studio Projects C1 that has a bad capsule from moisture with this capsule?
Old 2nd April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Do you ship to Ukraine (exUSSR)?
I want MJE-K47 + mic body.
Old 4th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyway to get these new heads to mount on a Gefell 692 body?
Old 7th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea001 ➑️
Does this work with the Oktava MK012? Not sure if it's a 22mm SDC or not...
My MJE-K47H capsule does not fit the '012 body. I will be bringing out a version for the '012 in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY ➑️
Can you supe up my old Studio Projects C1 that has a bad capsule from moisture with this capsule?
Yes, I've re-voiced quite a few SP C1 mics with my MJE-K47 capsule suitefor a more midrange-focused sound with sibilance-free top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➑️
Do you ship to Ukraine (exUSSR)?
I want MJE-K47 + mic body.
Yes, we use US Postal Service international express, signature required. Takes about 5 business days and cost $48 to ship a mic almost anywhere in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➑️
Anyway to get these new heads to mount on a Gefell 692 body?
Not currently. But I am considering adapters or versions of the capsule head to allow use with other SDC mics.
Old 25th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Michael,

I'm interested in this FET capsule. I currently have a set of MXL 603's that I find to be fairly useless sounding. I'm going to be ordering a pair of your modded MK-012's.

Here are my questions:

Wouldn't the crappiness of the stock 603 degrade the results of your capsule?

How much does the body choice change the sound?

Would I have to get your mods to the 603 body to justify such a premium capsule?

Do you have any idea when the version for MK-012's will come out?

I was going to ask these questions in an email, but I figured there are probably others who have similar questions. Thanks.
Old 15th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
would this mod work on an SE2200a?
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPanda ➑️
would this mod work on an SE2200a?
You're better off going to MJ's website and asking him directly through email. He was banned from GS awhile back.
πŸ“ Reply