Rupert Neve Design’s, Designer - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rupert Neve Design’s, Designer
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Ok, clearly I'm an idiot -- what exactly did you do for the Portico? Some are suggesting that you designed the thing, responsible for its performance, and you seem to be going along with that. So should I assume that you designed the thing? Is Rupert just tacking his name on these beauties now? Tisk tisk... And is Hutch not involved either? And what's the new product? Something new in the Portico line?
Elambo,
No, you are not an idiot, just not informed on the process of designing a product from scratch.
Image yourself and all you have in front of you is a schematic, a rough drawing of a front and rear panel, some data sheets and a blank screen, now go design a product.

It was all Team Effort both on the Portico’s and the 5088.
Did I design the thing? Yes my basic design, there were other ideas from other people, some used, some not, a Team Effort but still my basic design.

The PCB’s and the performance of the portico units?
My layouts were checked by others and sometimes changes were made, some times minor, sometimes major and sometimes not at all, still a Team Effort.

As far as the performance of the RND products, I do take a little credit for their performance, anybody can layout a PCB not everyone can do it right, in over 20 years of board design I just can’t explain all of what all it takes to layout board properly, and I still miss a trick now and then.
There are three things most important in PCB design, the first is performance and the second is manufacturability and the third is testing, all of these must work in together to have a successful and reliable product that is affordable to produce.
Rupert and the engineers under him have to do there jobs but all their talents are wasted if I don’t do my job just right.
Yea, I take a little credit, not much but a little.

Rupert, of course he had his hand in all of this, a lot at first, not so much later on, remember he taught us all very well and Hutch didn’t enter in RND until the last Portico was in prototype and the 5088 was already in production.

Drake
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➡️
Cheers Drake,

I hope it did not sound like I was trying to slam you or anything. I was just responding to certain concerns I had (or heard) regarding the Portico line up. Please keep us updated here on any new developments. I just want to encourage you to keep it all Class A. There is a certain clarity and openness that you can only get with Class A. Of course the Brent Averil pre's cost more than the Porico, but I clearly heard an improvement on the Brent, even though the Portico line has additional features on it.

Yes the new templates look a lot better too. If the knobs were improved thats a nother plus as well.
Tube world,

Sorry sometimes I come off a bit brash, it’s just who I am.
As far as keeping it ‘Class A” at RND I could only design what they put in front of me.

We will keep you updated on all new activity, a press release will hitting shortly with some details on a new 500 series Mic Pre in the works.
Like I said before if you or anyone else has an idea on some new or innovative gear send Kevin or myself a PM and we will talk.

Drake
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael ➡️
Drake,

Glad you're here at G.S. Kudos on your work with Neve. I'm a mad fan of my 5043.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you and Kevin bring to life.

Best wishes,
Michael

p.s.
If you're taking requests... please don't make 1/2 rack sized gear.
Michael,
Thanks, got your request, in the jar.
500 series or full rack, or…I’ll save it for later.
Drake
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> ➡️
You're coming over as a real tool fella, from what I'm reading the guy's just saying he made the boxes and had nish to do with the 'sound' of the Porticos, just seems like you're out to slam the guy, shame on you
Thanks for the note, fella. Let me quote his latest post and you decide whether or not it appears that he's making a claim on the design:

"Did I design the thing? Yes my basic design..."

So certainly I MUST be a tool, even shameful.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Re: Drake Williams

May I just say, Ive worked with Drake since DAY ONE and I continue to work with him in my new endeavors. He is legendary the way he lays out boards (at least among the manufacturers) They love him, its funny, they look at it and go "I know who layed this out"!! Its pretty funny, but you gotta love it. Thanks Drake.
Old 10th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The fact remains, Rupert had very little to do with the designs of everything on his website. We designed them all, he was not even there most of the time, only checking the schematics on the prototypes. Sorry to burst everyones bubble, but it is the truth.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurginMcDaniel ➡️
The fact remains, Rupert had very little to do with the designs of everything on his website. We designed them all, he was not even there most of the time, only checking the schematics on the prototypes. Sorry to burst everyones bubble, but it is the truth.
Interesting...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow. Thats bold.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday ➡️
Interesting...
I agree with Massenburg. Thats why we ("we" as in "the design team") never opened our mouths until we were facing unemployment, otherwise, who cares?
Old 11th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sounds like he is almost incapable to do real job anymore
Guys why did you leave RND?
Did HE fire you and if yes why?

You raised very interesting questions and would be nice to throw more light on that.
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
"One more thing, before we end this session-
No more questions !"

-Eazy E
Old 13th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello Cowboy,

You caint come in heah and say that and then back away from youse statement, can ya?

I'm sure you all did good work, but you dissin' now and now youse works for a little outfit that makes a compressor. Why did ya flake out with Rupert and Co.?

I"ll take a chaw 'till ya answer.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I knew this thread smelled from the very beginning.

Posted in the "New Product" section, never announcing a new product (when was the Komit released?), back-patting, and then taking a dump on Rupert in the process... tutt

🎧 15 years
Old 14th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow!
This is the weirdest thread ever!
Old 14th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 ➡️
Wow!
This is the weirdest thread ever!
Agree.
Not well thought effort of promotion anything.
Fully accepting that design job on Portico range was excellent and that whole team contributed to reaching target.
Now guys, if you can, prove that you ARE REALLY better
Old 12th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Any suggestion to replace these "old" NE5534 ?

Or anything to improve in general the sound into 5043 ?

Thank you
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1236040 ➡️
Any suggestion to replace these "old" NE5534 ?

Or anything to improve in general the sound into 5043 ?

Thank you
What about it's sound would you hope to improve? These comps have become classics faster than almost any I can think of.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The bass is a little rubby...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The bass is a little rubby...
rubby?
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm sorry for my english, I don't know whether to say... Maybe not well defined
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 ➡️
rubby?
This may help.

Urban Dictionary: rubby
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 ➡️
A Saskatchewanian degenerate... who knew?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well, for me the 5043 seems to sound the bass in a rubbery way, inflated and indefinite-unfocused. Not solid and tight.
Maybe the ICs NE5534P on the audio path, or the electrolitics despite they are Nichicon. I don't know if it is possible to improve this.
Also, another interesting thing wants to be an external sidechain filter. I think that it's only a cap to add, but where?
I haven't the schematics....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
'Pulling' an op amp output to force it into 'class A' operation is not a new idea. DC offsetting to polarise caps is also not new.
Very few designers take a 'concept' through to the final 'deliverable item' so what's the big deal?
One of the real tests of a good mechanical design is the ease of setting the unit up, servicing and repair.
Matt S
Old 14th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, for me the 5043 seems to sound the bass in a rubbery way, inflated and indefinite-unfocused. Not solid and tight.
As always it depends on standards one uses to compare different things.
I have several compressors that are extremely tight and accurate in the low end (best example is Alpha) and still they are not obvious choice each time.
Depending on use, track, setting, overall arrangement and expected effect your statement can be completelly right or wrong.
I use 5043 from the very beginning and added several modules more during time (although other compressos satisfied my needs for analogue compressors in general). It is what it is, excellenet general purpose compressor, very close to optimal one for the console module, but as with any gears, there are specialized items that do different things differently.
Describing 5043's sound as unfocused and inflated is rather exaggeration than unbiased opinion IMO.
Also, your statement was out of context of original thread poster thesis, showing that 5088 and Portico range GREAT results should be less associated with genious of Ruppert Neve as designer than generally believed.
📝 Reply