DA11, Lavry DA, playback image control - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DA11, Lavry DA, playback image control
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Lavry DA11 (USB, >PiC<, Remote)

Introducing the LavryBlack DA11-
Lavry Engineering takes stereo DA conversion to a new level!

Features like a USB input, programmable settings, infrared remote capability, and the proprietary >PiC< Playback Image Control™ make the DA11 more than just a great sounding DA converter.

In keeping with the Lavry Engineering tradition of innovation in the pursuit of excellence, Dan Lavry has combined customer requested features with a flexible approach to controlling the stereo image. The patent pending >PiC< Playback Image Control™ allows the listener to adjust their position within the stereo sound field in a way that is unique to the DA11. Applications include adjusting the stereo width to create a headphone listening experience more like listening in a room with speakers, or moving the “sweet spot” with asymmetrical speaker placement.

A full compliment of USB, XLR, RCA, and optical digital audio inputs offer flexibility in using computer, network music, or stand alone CD player sources, as well as studio equipment. Balanced and unbalanced output options are provided for ease in connection to a wide range of HiFi as well as professional audio gear.

With the addition of infrared remote capability, the DA11 puts the listener in the driver’s seat with the added benefit of working with a universal remote that the customer may already own! The remote Mute function controls both headphone and main outputs, while a separate main output On/Off setting adds flexibility for private headphone listening.

Like the highly acclaimed LavryBlack DA10, the DA11 offers extreme transparency and musicality in DA conversion with the ability to control speaker volume using digitally controlled ANALOG volume circuitry. With unparalleled precision in channel matching throughout the volume range, this feature allows the listener to easily reset the volume to a known level for consistent enjoyment with minimal signal degradation. Like all other programmable settings, the Volume setting is retained in memory when the power is turned “off.”

The DA11 features:
- Ultra low jitter mode to minimize source degradation.
- Patent Pending >PiC< Playback Image Control™.
- Accepts input sample rates between 30kHz and 200kHz
- Potentiometer-free digitally controlled analog volume circuitry.
- High power discrete headphone output.
- XLR, USB, RCA (Coaxial) and Optical (Toslink) digital inputs.
- Optional Infrared Remote control
- Power On/Off muting protection on Main and Headphone outputs
- Balanced or unbalanced outputs with Polarity Inversion
- Included XLR to RCA adapters for easy connection to RCA inputs

Last edited by Dan Lavry; 6th February 2009 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow!

is this an upgrade to the DA-10, or simply a different option? is the conversion of higher quality than the DA-10?

many thanks!
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds interesting
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Funny, Lavry has always been against ultra-high sampling rates. Clueless consumers is a good reason to play the game, though. Also, the multiple clock types of DA10 aren't found in this one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtrbn ➡️
Funny, Lavry has always been against ultra-high sampling rates. Clueless consumers is a good reason to play the game, though. Also, the multiple clock types of DA10 aren't found in this one.
It's a DA - so it makes sense to accept ANY sampling frequency for integration purposes. I believe his theory is that there is no point having an AD sampling more than than 96khz.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydicky ➡️
It's a DA - so it makes sense to accept ANY sampling frequency for integration purposes. I believe his theory is that there is no point having an AD sampling more than than 96khz.
I have been very vocal for many years about sample rates. I do not recommend 192KH nor do I recommend 32KHz.

Regards
Dan Lavry
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is PiC a new version of those Crystal options in DA10?

For USB is there drivers for both Windows and OS X?

Price?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger ➡️
Is PiC a new version of those Crystal options in DA10?

For USB is there drivers for both Windows and OS X?

Price?
1. Yes, the USB is for both windows and Mac. No need to load software drivers

2. The PiC (playback image control) is not at all about clocking. Here is a part of what I posted on my forum at lavry engineering site:

The real unique feature is the PIC (playback image control). Here we have a whole industry that optimizes the stereo image based on assumptions. Say the mastering engineer works hard to provide a great stereo, and the assumption is that all listeners will have their home setup be nearly the same as the mastering studio. Many people do not (or can not) follow such ideal guidelines for speaker placement. And of course, anyone that wants to listen to headphones gets a very different stereo image then intended. Why? With speakers, the left signal gets to BOTH ears (similarly for the right signal). But with headphones, the left signal reaches ONLY the left ear (and the right signal ONLY to the right ear). The PIC provides correction for headphones and for speaker location. The user gets to correct the image at the listening space, AFTER the music has been prepared. It is only the end users that can make the final adjustment for their specific case, thus PLAYBACK Image Control.

While in most cases one would set the stereo image width with the same setting for Left and Right, I decided to offer separate Left and Right control, mostly for asymmetrical speaker setups. There are 6 settings for the left and 6 for the right.

+2 - widest (red)
+1 - wide (red)
0 - normal image (green)
-1 - narrow (yellow)
-2 - narrower (yellow)
-3 - narrowest (yellow)

You can see the complete post, with more details at:

Lavry Engineering :: View topic - DA11 ?

Regards
Dan Lavry
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtrbn ➡️
Funny, Lavry has always been against ultra-high sampling rates. Clueless consumers is a good reason to play the game, though.
Where is the "lock light"?

When in normal operation mode, the 2 digit LED display shows volume settings.

But when the unit is in setup mode, the 2 digit LED reads "44" or "48" or "88" or "96" to indicate that the unit is locked, and the frequency it is locked to.

The unit will operate over 32-200KHz. You can do a slow varyspeed, and it will sound good, but not as good as a fixed 44.1 or 96KHz. The display will not even indicate "192". This by itself is a statement that I do not like X4 sampling. I could have provided one more digit or some LED to show X4 fs. I did not overlook the 192 indication, I chose not to include it!

BTW, If you see a "--" instead of say "44" or other prefered rate, there is no signal at the selected input (XLR, Optical, USB or RCA).

Regards
Dan Lavry
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
We now have a complete product manual posted at Lavry Engineering web site.

One can go to Lavry Engineering - Unsurpassed Excellence and click on the DA11 picture. At the bottom of the description there is a link "DA11 Manual".

Regards
Dan Lavry[/QUOTE]
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
sweet. So it basically solves my problem of not having a volume knob if I had gone with the DA10. Can I use my Macpro remote to control volume? Not to sound like an ahole, but I am assuming I will be noticing a signifigant difference between monitoring off my 003 and monitoring from the DA11. I assume handing over clocking and conversion will be a very welcome change.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so ... do i need to upgrade my da10??
does the da11 sound better ... ???
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Many people asked for a DA10 with a direct computer connection. Many people wanted remote control capability. The DA11 has both. No one asked for the >PiC<(tm) because the idea to make the "playback image control" is new.

What is the >PiC<(tm) all about? It gives the listner control over a new and importent aspect of audio reproduction.

I posted a description of it at the the Lavry Engineering site.

click on the link below:
http://lavryengineering.com/white_papers/DA11_PIC.pdf

Regards
Dan Lavry
Lavry Engineering - Unsurpassed Excellence
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
being usb, how is the latency?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dear, Mr. Lavry.

Congratulations on the release of your new DA.

I have one question for you?

Is the USB 2.0 or 1.0?

Thank you.

T...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It doesn't matter at one channel of 24bit 96khz...
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
How much does the DA11 gonna cost?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Around $1'480 it seems:

LavryBlack DA11 stereo DA converter | VintageKing.com

I'm wondering if there are any sonic improvements over the DA10.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube ➡️
Around $1'480 it seems:

LavryBlack DA11 stereo DA converter | VintageKing.com

I'm wondering if there are any sonic improvements over the DA10.
get a coffee or a strong tea

Dan Lavry: "The DA11 is available now. The price is $1480.
The conversion is somewhat better then DA10 unit, I tightened up a few things."

Lavry Engineering :: View topic - DA11 ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually i think it's time to call it a night! I didn't read that thread, so didn't know he'd mentioned it there already.
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How does the USB function work? Is there a driver for Mac the lets me choose the Lavry "audio system preferences?" I am definitely tired of closing and opening protools and it would be great to just press play in itunes. Also trying to figure out if I want the DA10 or DA11. Saving cash would be great but don't want to lose out on cool features.
Old 18th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u ➡️
How does the USB function work? Is there a driver for Mac the lets me choose the Lavry "audio system preferences?" I am definitely tired of closing and opening protools and it would be great to just press play in itunes. Also trying to figure out if I want the DA10 or DA11. Saving cash would be great but don't want to lose out on cool features.
Yes, there are drivers for both Mac and PC. You can play audio directly from any application if you just set the DA11 as your default playback device.
Old 18th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday ➡️

I have one question for you?

Is the USB 2.0 or 1.0?

T...
It's USB 2.0
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i've got a stupid question. would this work as a soundcard? i make some eletronic music on cubase.
Old 3rd January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkaus ➡️
i've got a stupid question. would this work as a soundcard? i make some eletronic music on cubase.
Yes, if all you need is audio playback, then this could totally replace your sound card. Just use the USB. If you need to record audio, then you would also need their AD11 or some other interface.
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thank you
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anybody know where I could get a good deal on this in Europe?

Cheers!
bManic
📝 Reply