Dynamic Death Ray Based on Shure Level-Loc - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynamic Death Ray Based on Shure Level-Loc
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Dynamic Death Ray Based on Shure Level-Loc

Salutations Gearslutz!

My small company, Atomisonic just launched its first product.

It's based on the Shure Level-Loc. It's been significantly enhanced and hot-rodded. So it's more like a Level-Loc on steroids. You can still get the great old sounds of the original, but also create some brand new sounds.

It's called the Dynoray N4CR: The Dynamic Death Ray.

You can read all about it at Atomisonic_Ltd_Co

We're available at 512-873-8501 and by email at [email protected]. Orders can be placed by phone or by visiting our website.

Atomisonic_Ltd_Co

Features of the Dynoray

1U rackmount compressor, mic preamp and distortion device.

Discrete Class A Dynamic FET Compressor

Unique Variable Gain Staging FET Mic Preamp

Transformer-Coupled Inputs and Outputs
Nickel Input Transformer with Mu Metal Shield "Vintage Style" Steel Output Transformer with Mu Metal Shield
Accepts Mic, Instrument, and Line Level Input

Both Balanced and Unbalanced Inputs and Outputs

Low Impedance Line Level Outputs

Phase Reverse Switch
For added convenience when recording drums
Variable "Decay" Control
The Level-Loc had only one release setting, but the Dynoray offers a variable control. It can be dialed in anywhere from twice as fast to 1.5 times slower than the Level-Loc. This enables fine tuning of the release time to match the tempo of songs and to create unique effects.
"Disintegrate" Setting
Turns the Dynoray into a radical distortion device, capable of overdriving every one of its Class A amplifier stages. You can dial in the level of distortion with the main "Amplitude"/volume control, from just a touch, to a level reminiscent of a symphony of buzz saws.
You can contact Atomisonic by phone at 512-873-8501 or email [email protected].

Atomisonic_Ltd_Co
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the look of this. Really fun looking. Look forward to hearing it! Congrats!

I wonder how this compares to the Level-Or or my Drew Sher-Loc kit unit
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks ELI-173! I appreciate the compliments.

There are a couple of audio samples on the site that give an idea of what a Dynamic Death Ray can do.

Products_Dynoray_Audio

We'll be uploading more samples over the next few days.

Thanks again!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll keep an eye on the page.

Will this unit accept input from converters, pres, mixer, anything?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I understand both of those products are very cool. But I never gotten to try them out.

The Drewtronics Sherlock was pretty much a reproduction of the Shure Level-Loc, the M62V, albeit with a printed circuit board (thankfully).

The Level-or is an API module, where as the Dynoray is a self-contained 1U rackmount. The Level-or has two settings for release time. I understand the slow release is like the original. And the fast release cuts that time in half. The Dynoray has a variable release "Decay" control. So you can turn the knob from twice the time of the original all the way to twice as long as the original, and anywhere in between. This helps tune in the compression to match tempos and create some very interesting effects. Both the Level-or and the Dynoray have settings to enable them to act as distortion generators. I haven't gotten a chance to demo the Level-or, but I'm betting we each went about doing this a little differently. The Level-Or has an additional knob to control the output volume once the "Crunch" setting is enabled for distortion. The Dynoray doesn't require an additional output volume knob. The output volume can be easily dialed in with the input knob, because the Dynoray maintains its line level range while still allowing you to crank up the fuzz. The Level-or accepts line level input, but not mic level. The Dynoray accepts line, mic, and instrument level input signals. The Level-or has an electronically balanced output. The Dynoray has a transformer balanced output. (A big heavy steel rascal that barely fit in the 1U rack.) The Dynoray also has an unbalanced output for added convenience.

So in short, even though we haven't gotten to try those other two products, we understand they're mighty cool.

Of course, we like ours best!

Thanks for your interest!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi ELI-173,

Yep, pretty much any analog audio signal input will work for the Dynoray.

It has a Neutrik Combo Jack input. The combo has a female XLR and a female 1/4" TS. The Signal switch can set the input to accept either line or mic level signals. Instrument level signals can work in either switch setting.

Here's a pic of the back panel with its inputs and outputs.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very Cool! Look forward to hearing some more samples. I like that the light sort of interacts with what is going on in the unit.

Most Excellent.

-Eli
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Oh yeah! The big green light, ..... er...Dynamic Death Ray!

Everybody needs one of those.

It indicates the amount of compression and protects its owner from alien attacks from outer space, killer robots, all sorts of things.

And as you indicated with your icon, tractor beam functionality!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awesome!

Great price to boot. I'm going to be all over this in about a month.

edit: Am I misunderstanding or is this a mic amp too?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Robert!

Yep, you're absolutely right. It's a mic amp, too. It can accept mic, instrument, and line level signals.

It uses a heavy nickel input transformer to serve as a mic preamp. It has a Neutrik Combo Jack that can accept XLR and 1/4" inputs. It has a considerable amount of gain. And you can drive both low and high impedance mics. Low impedance through the XLR, and high impedance 1/4" through the TS. So you can run your funkiest old mic through the Dynoray.

Here is some information on the preamp from the website:

Unique Variable Gain Staging FET Mic Preamp

The non-linear FET input gain stage is very unique hybrid design. It serves as both the preamp and the variable gain stage of the compressor. The input stage can quickly reduce gain to prevent clipping. This gives the compressor a signal with a very large dynamic range to shape in creative ways.

High gain FET/Field Effect Transistor configuration provides incredibly fast acting, non-linear dynamic compression of up to 45db.

Discrete FET attenuator and Class A transistor amplifier stages generate levels of musically pleasing second order harmonic distortion that increase with signal amplitude and attenuation.

The unusually low mic input impedance of 600 ohms, provides improved transient and frequency response for dynamic mics like the Shure SM57. Like the Level-Loc, such dynamic mics were originally designed back when 600 ohm inputs were standard.

Products_Dynoray_Description
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very neat.

Is there a stereo-link ability or option (planned?). That'd be a really killer feature.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Robert,

Stereo linking would be cool. But unfortunately we didn't include that option.

We could definitely mod it for you to do stereo linking if you were interested in getting a couple of Dynorays. We'd charge a small fee.

Right now, we've only got 7 of the first batch left. Once those sell, we'll be taking advance orders for the next batch.

But if a good number of folks request pairs of the Dynoray, with stereo linking, we'll be more than glad to add it in that next batch.

And heck, we'd mail Robert back his fee and maybe even throw in a case of Austin's Shiner Bock Beer for him.

After all, a man needs his Shiner Bock and at least two Death Rays.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks like a lot of fun, the samples sound great too. Good luck, I hope you make & sell lots of 'em!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks a bunch, Pau!

I see you're working on The Haunted World of El Superbeasto.

Too cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So is this really a mic pre and compressor? Can they be used independently?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Bdunard!

It's a mic preamp and a compressor that can be used in series. It only has one input it processes at one time. It isn't like the UA 6176 with two separate modules, each having its own input.

The reason for this is the unique circuit architecture of the Level-Loc, shared by the Dynoray. The FET preamp input's gain stage is also the variable gain stage of the compressor. The input stage can quickly prevent clipping, and leaves a very large dynamic range to shape in creative ways with compression. Its this unique gain staging that makes the old Level-Loc, and the new Dynoray, really wild sound shapers, able to benefit from the input's large dynamic range and the non-linearities of the FET to shape the envelop of the sounds in some very unique ways. The Dynoray goes beyond the original box by adding variable release times, an additional class A discrete output amp, a distortion generator, phase reverse, balanced line level low impedance output, and other features, such as a big green light to indicate compression.

Everybody needs a big green light.

So, you can use the Dynoray as a compressor of mic, instrument, or line level signals.

You can also switch it to bypass mode, and have it be just a mic preamp, a colorful mic preamp. We opted to include the original Shure bypass modification. They did a really interesting bypass that, well really technically wasn't much of a bypass, but sure makes for an interesting sounding mic preamp. The circuit still sends part of the signal through the compressor, just a bit of it. The end result is pretty colorful, with all of the class A transistor amp stages, the FET, and transformers all adding their sonic signatures on the sound passing through the Dynoray.

Lots of fun!

Thanks for your interest!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks cool!!! I dig the vibe... Looking forward to checking one of these bad bays out...
Old 1st February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Ian!

Thanks for the kind words.

Back in April when we heard you guys were putting out a compressor based on the Level-Loc, our hearts sank into our boots. We'd been working a while to get the Dynoray out by that time.

But after seeing that you guys were going the API modular route, where we were doing a rackmount, we figured there might be room for a couple of fun products based on the Level-Loc.

We should work out a product swap!

Thanks again, Ian!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello Fellow Gearslutz,

We've had a few calls and emails about buying two Dynorays at once. We'll take an additional $100 off the introductory sales price for ordering a pair. I just added an option for it as the "Dynamic Duo" at our online store.

I included the following text there, which reads like I've been possessed by the spirit of a typical used car salesman. Only I left out the part about "CRAZY PRICES!"
"Buying two Dynorays at once saves $100 off the already low introductory sales price of $649 per Dynoray. That's $599 per Dynoray. $400 off list price for the pair. We ship the second one for free. It's a Dynamic Duo Deal!"
Atomisonic eShop : Home

If you have any questions, give us a shout. 512-873-8501. email: [email protected].

Thanks a bunch fellow slutz!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds quite lovely, actually.

Is this recommended for drums only?

I'd simply LUVVVV to hear some vox and acoustic guitar. Oh, and grungy guitar. Oh, and bass.....

heh heh heh

Cheers.

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Empty Planet!

You're absolutely right. It's not a drums only kind of compressor. We'll work on getting more audio samples up on the site soon. And as soon as I put them up, I'll post a reply here so folks can know to check 'em out.

Setting on Dynoray to "Disintegrate" (distortion) can get all the grunge you need. It's distortion has a lot of 2nd harmonics which makes it really musical. It's compressor is still kicking in a bit in that mode, which makes it a pretty neat effect. I nerd out with an old Hofner Beatle bass guitar clone using the Dynoray as a super fuzz box. I almost have the McCartney side-to-side horizontal head movement down. But I'm still working on the actual bass playing.

Lots of stuff sounds cool through the Dynamic Death Ray. Acoustic guitars sound really cool on the "stun" (compression) setting. So do pianos. Anything percussive.

And you're right about vocals, too. You can also get that compressed Steve Miller vocal sound. An article in Mix describes how Steve Miller used a Shure Level-Loc to record vocals on Swingtown for songs like The Joker. The 4-input mixer they mention was the Shure M68, that would often be stacked with the Shure Level-Loc in the late 60s and early 70s.

The Shure M68 4-Input Mixer

Here's that Mix article. Fun stuff.

Steve Miller's "Swingtown"-recording Steve Miller's "Swingtown" Classic Track

We'll get some more samples for you guys asap. Thanks for your interest!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i really dig it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
wow this is harsh dope !

2nd harmonics are so rich and deep!

i buy, yes!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow..

This unit looks great and the name... True talk! heh
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
just a question .....

how sturdy are these built?

are they road worthy?

thanks
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How long is the promo price good for?
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
bump!

are they seriously reliable?
Old 4th April 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, we're still doing the promo price of $649 per Dynoray and $599 Per Dynoray when folks by a pair of them.

We sold out of the first batch and are in the process of building the second batch and processing back orders. If you'd like to get on the back order list, you can just click the big red buy button at atomisonic.com. Or just give us a call at 512-873-8501 or email [email protected].

They're reliable and road-worthy. Thick steel enclosures, military spec pots, aviation-style switches, machined metal knobs, discrete component architecture, Neutrik jacks, ---- not to mention it's a Dynamic Death Ray. But if you do experience a problem with your Dynoray, it comes with a year warranty.

We hope to have the next batch ready in the next few weeks, including a few review and demo units, so that more folks can check out the Dynoray.

Thanks to everybody for their interest & support!
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
ruy
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
seems like a great processor. have you consider making a plug-in version?
Old 13th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Mine finally arrived and was TOTALLY worth the wait! Sounds absolutely glorious. It really does have the mojo of a level loc but with more versatility. These guys nailed it....
πŸ“ Reply