The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pete's Place Audio BAC-500
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pete's Place Audio BAC-500

PRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release

Pete’s Place Audio Debuts New 500 Series Compressor

ANAHEIM, California - January 2009 - NAMM stand #6290 -- Pete’s Place Audio is taking advantage of the NAMM Show this year to introduce another exciting product to its lineup, a 500 Series compressor module known as the BAC-500.

Designed by Brad Avenson of Austin, Texas-based Avenson Audio, the BAC-500—BAC being short for Brad Avenson Compressor—is a feedback-style FET compressor built around two discrete op amps and a custom wound output transformer.

“We are thrilled to finally be collaborating with Brad on this project,” says Pete’s Place Audio President Lisa Montessi. “His experience, knowledge and passion really shine through in everything he creates and the BAC-500 certainly is no exception. It’s a fantastic compressor and it’s going to make a lot of 500 Series fans very happy.”

From the top down, the BAC-500’s faceplate features a large silver rotary input knob, smaller pots for attack, release and ratio, and a large output knob at the bottom. Additional features include a three-position sidechain contour switch, eight-LED gain reduction meter, and pushbuttons for distortion and bypass.

The module’s attack control runs from fast to quite fast, while the release control exhibits a fairly wide range, enabling the compressor to go from “pumping, breathing fast” up to approximately a second and a half. This allows sounds to “hang” a bit when using the device purely as a leveler or limiter.

The ratio control features five positions ranging from 2:1 to 20:1, with a sixth position marked as “∞!”. According to Avenson, “The infinity control has a little exclamation point next to it because, not only is it really flat, but it also puts you in that spot where you can do some over-compression and other interesting things. It changes where the threshold starts to compress as well, so it gives you different varieties of tonal characteristics to play with.”

The BAC-500’s sidechain toggle switch offers a choice of three possible settings: flat, high-pass filter, and an option that somewhat exaggerates the high end while simultaneously cutting the low end. “The overall effect of this third setting is somewhat like a de-esser fed into the sidechain, but it’s a little wider than that and quite good for taming a variety of things that are overly bright,” Avenson notes.
With all of the controls essentially cranked between the input and output knobs, the BAC-500 is capable of delivering nearly 50 dB of gain, which can be very helpful in compensating for serious gain reduction issues caused by greatly compressing dynamic range.

The bypass button found below the output knob is a true relay bypass, while the adjacent distortion button allows the user to overload the FET for color. “A lot of FET compressors use tricks to linearize the FET as a compression element and make it sound cleaner because if they’re used by themselves, they’re really pretty raunchy sounding,” says the designer. “So this switch allows you to play with how much of the distortion characteristics of the FET you get. By engaging it, you’re getting a lot more second harmonic distortion. It’s basically a way to kick in a more aggressive sounding compressor without changing any of the other settings. You can dial in the amount of dirt you want.”

Avenson sums the BAC-500 up by adding, “Although this product is largely designed to provide a bit of color and flavor—and not be too heavy handed—it really does possess that nice ‘bite’ that is characteristic of FET compressors and perfect for cranking down on things like drum room mics when you need it.”

Pete’s Place Audio was founded to bring a wide variety of handcrafted, innovative, boutique recording and live audio products to market. Under the leadership of President Lisa Montessi and backed by the manufacturing expertise of A-Designs Audio, Pete’s Place collaborates with some of today’s most talented recording artists and engineers to help determine what products, regardless of how esoteric, they feel are missing in the studio and live performance environments.
Attached Thumbnails
Pete's Place Audio BAC-500-best-bac-pic.jpg  
Old 29th January 2009
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
some links to some sound files done by Tony Shepperd and Reggie Hamilton here

500 Series Comp
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Nice.. Well,..I'll be the first to ask.....How much..?..heh
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Price: $1,000.00 Retail. We are in the process of setting up dealers. You could call your local dealer and ask them if they have it, yet.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmontessi ➡️
Price: $1,000.00 Retail. We are in the process of setting up dealers. You could call your local dealer and ask them if they have it, yet.
Hey Lisa...Ok..Thanks..!..
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
any thoughts what the street price will be?
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Well, I guess that sums it all up, doesn't it?
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyjg0112 ➡️
一、主要产品 我公司与德国拜尔,巴斯夫长期合作,根据各种纺织面料的理化特性,与其他公司的产品相比较,开发生产出更适合国内服装面料所需的热转印产品,真正做到纺织品的数码印刷。在生产过程中不需要任何技术要求,减少了传统印花过程中的环节,实现即打即印,一分钟就可以把您所需的图像百分百转印到纺织品上,中间不需分色、制版、出片、配色,做到一张起印,立等可取。极大提高了生产效率,同时本产品比同类的进口热转印纸要低很多,只是同类产品价格1/10~1/15。本公司产品与现在市场上所售的喷墨热转印、热升华转印不同,在生产效率上提高了30倍,同时图像的清晰度也提高了几十倍。价格是喷墨热转印的1/5,是丝网印刷的1/2。 根据众多客户的反馈,我们隆重推出第三代纺织品数码转印专用激光转印纸,比前两代性能更为优越,做到了喷墨、激光、胶印通用。 本公司长期供应德国进口特配墨水,适合爱普生全系列喷墨打印机。可直接在转印纸、铜版纸、无涂层的胶片纸上直接打印,防水耐紫外线(非溶剂墨水)。 同时,我公司致力于用快捷、低廉、环保的生产方式取代传统的复杂的生产方式,并致力于推广这种理念,竭尽全力为社会服务。 综合以上产品,公司现在推出的桌上型纺织品、皮革、陶瓷、玻璃、金属印刷系统(各种产品表面无需要处理,直接印制即可),其生产的成品完全可以和大规模工业化生的产品相媲美。 我们推出的每一种产品以可以连续批量生产为标准,我们随时欢迎您参观我公司的加工现场。 二、加工业务: 1、生产加工巴斯夫系列热转印纸、热转印刻字膜; 2、纺织品、皮革、陶瓷、玻璃、金属打样,无版费,一般10分钟可取; 3、纺织品、皮革、陶瓷、玻璃、金属制品批量印制; 4、订做文化衫、广告衫、T恤、帽子等; 5、代客制作各种热转印图片, 公司备有大幅面打印机多台,及图片切割机,日打印图片1000平米以上; 三、交货日期 1、巴斯夫系列转印纸1000平米内有现货;日产量可达10000平米; 2、文化衫、广告衫、T恤衫2000件以内有现货; 3、打样时间: 10分钟; 4、样品确认后印花货期: 50件以下立等可取, 100-300件以内急活,12小时内可取,300-1000件以内急活24小时内可取。 四、解决方案 我公司可以根据客户需求,提供相应解决方案;并得到EPSON代理、MUTOH北京总代、四通图文支持,可以以优惠价提供成套的相应设备
I totally agree!

- c
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
translated lyjg0112 post (not very well)

The main products our company with the German Bayer, BASF long-term cooperation, based on a variety of physical and chemical characteristics of textile materials, with other company's products compared to the more suitable for development and production of fabric required for domestic thermal transfer products, truly digital printing of textiles. In the production process does not require any technology to Seeking to reduce the traditional printing process of the link and realize that that is playing India, one minute you will be able to fully transfer the images to textiles, without intermediate separation, plate making, the film, color matching, so to play an Indian,立等可取. Greatly improved production efficiency, while the imports of similar products than thermal transfer Paper is much lower, but similar price 1 / 10 ~ 1 / 15. The company's products and now the market for sale of inkjet thermal transfer, dye-sublimation transfer printing is different from efficiency in the production increased 30 times, while image clarity is also improved several times. Inkjet transfer price is 1 / 5, is the screen-printing 1 / 2. According to Many customer feedback, we introduced the third generation of digital transfer printing textiles dedicated laser transfer paper, more than the previous two generations of superior performance, so an inkjet, laser, offset GM. Our company long-term supply of imports in Germany with special ink, suitable for a full range of Epson inkjet printers. Directly in the transfer paper, coated paper, non-coated Film layer directly print on paper, waterproof UV resistant (non-solvent ink). At the same time, our company is committed to using fast, inexpensive, environmentally friendly production methods to replace the traditional modes of production complex, and is committed to the promotion of this idea, to make every effort to serve the community. Based on the above products, the company is now launching the desktop spinning Fabrics, leather, ceramics, glass, metal printing system (the surface of a variety of products without the need to address, direct printing can be), its production of finished product is entirely possible and large-scale industrialization HEALTH comparable products. We launched a product to each can as the standard for mass production, we always welcome your visit to our company Processing site. Second, processing operations: 1, production and processing of BASF Series thermal transfer paper, transfer lettering film; 2, textiles, leather, ceramics, glass, metal sampling, no version of charges, the general desirability of 10 minutes; 3, textiles, leather , ceramics, glass, metal manufactures bulk printing; 4, custom-made T-shirt, 广告衫, T-shirts, caps, etc.; 5, Valet produced a variety of thermal transfer image, the company with multiple large-format printers, and the picture cutting machine, printing pictures on more than 1000 square meters; III delivery date 1, Bath Cardiff transfer paper series 1000 square meters, there are spot; daily output of up to 10000 square meters; 2, culture Shirt,广告衫, T-shirts have a spot within 2000; 3, Proofing time: 10 minutes; 4, after the printing samples to confirm goods period: 50 the following立等可取, 100-300 pieces of live within the emergency, within 12 hours desirable, 300-1000 pieces of urgency within the desirability of living within 24 hours. IV solutions company based on customer demand, provide the appropriate solution; and EPSON agents, MUTOH total on behalf of Beijing, Stone graphic support, you can offer packages at discounted prices corresponding equipment.

----------

So there you have it... WAY clearer now!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was one of the beta testers for the BAC500. As far as I know the unit did not really change after testing except for the size of some of the knobs and some visual things. During my testing I used it on the bass track for the mix of an album i was just starting. I just got a message from the bass player after hearing the final mix last night via Facebook.

Insanely amazing mixes for Kathleen Blackwell! Strings and bass presence RULES!!
I can't stop listening to it. BASTARD!!!
The bass is just f**king shaking my room! We gotta track another one.

I guess the BAC 500 did its job?
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➡️
I was one of the beta testers for the BAC500. As far as I know the unit did not really change after testing except for the size of some of the knobs and some visual things. During my testing I used it on the bass track for the mix of an album i was just starting. I just got a message from the bass player after hearing the final mix last night via Facebook.

Insanely amazing mixes for Kathleen Blackwell! Strings and bass presence RULES!!

now that is insane!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➡️

Ronan,
The equipment is only a part of the equation. The talent and engineer is the larger portion. Good job! Thank you very much for sharing this with us.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm really excited for the BAC to make it into people's rigs. I've been using the crap out of mine since the day I got 'em. Really vibey comp for sure...

I'll get a review up in the high-end forum early this week.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➡️
I'm really excited for the BAC to make it into people's rigs. I've been using the crap out of mine since the day I got 'em. Really vibey comp for sure...

Thank you, BlueRoom - I'm looking forward to reading it!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:

BLueROom, when you are done with the review, ship the BAC over here so i can a pair: )~
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ha!! Sure thing

Review will be up tonight
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Review Up!

Pete's Place BAC-500 compressor review
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ha!! Sure thing

Review will be up tonight
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not that I wouldn't like you to try it out... it's just that the screws are stripped on BOTH of the BACs so I can't take them out. It's weird.

heh
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
hehhehhehheh
odd thing is i have the same issue here: O~
Old 24th March 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not that I wouldn't like you to try it out... it's just that the screws are stripped on BOTH of the BACs so I can't take them out. It's weird.

heh
did you get them their stripped screws fixed?
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hey folks- who is selling these things? I can't find any info doing searches.

Thanks!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Pete’s Place Audio was founded to bring a wide variety of handcrafted, innovative, boutique recording and live audio products to market. Under the leadership of President Lisa Montessi and backed by the manufacturing expertise of A-Designs Audio, Pete’s Place collaborates with some of today’s most talented recording artists and engineers to help determine what products, regardless of how esoteric, they feel are missing in the studio and live performance environments.

notice in the first post, this is a Pete’s Place Audio 500 Series Compressor, so off to Pete's Place to get one: )~heh

also Lisa has the Pete's Place link in her signature.
lmontessi
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks, I had seen that. There is no mention of sales, price, etc. on the website, so that confused me...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
did you get them their stripped screws fixed?
No, I just ended up soldering the damn things in
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➡️
Thanks, I had seen that. There is no mention of sales, price, etc. on the website, so that confused me...
cool i was not sure, i know i often get in in the middle of a thread and never look at the beginning: )~
i sent a PM to Lisa so i am sure she will chime in when she gets a brake, Peter keeps her pretty busy.

Quote:
No, I just ended up soldering the damn things in
you Dog!

my credit card actually cries at night, along with my wife.
heh
Old 28th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
my credit card actually cries at night, along with my wife.
That's pretty funny..

I'm saving up for another BAC for sure. Anyone tried a pair on the master bus yet?
Old 5th May 2009
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:

ANAHEIM, California - January 2009 - NAMM stand #6290 -- Pete’s Place Audio is taking advantage of the NAMM Show this year to introduce another exciting product to its lineup, a 500 Series compressor module known as the BAC-500.

Designed by Brad Avenson of Austin, Texas-based Avenson Audio, the BAC-500—BAC being short for Brad Avenson Compressor—is a feedback-style FET compressor built around two discrete op amps and a custom wound output transformer.

“We are thrilled to finally be collaborating with Brad on this project,” says Pete’s Place Audio President Lisa Montessi. “His experience, knowledge and passion really shine through in everything he creates and the BAC-500 certainly is no exception. It’s a fantastic compressor and it’s going to make a lot of 500 Series fans very happy.”

From the top down, the BAC-500’s faceplate features a large silver rotary input knob, smaller pots for attack, release and ratio, and a large output knob at the bottom. Additional features include a three-position sidechain contour switch, eight-LED gain reduction meter, and pushbuttons for distortion and bypass.

The module’s attack control runs from fast to quite fast, while the release control exhibits a fairly wide range, enabling the compressor to go from “pumping, breathing fast” up to approximately a second and a half. This allows sounds to “hang” a bit when using the device purely as a leveler or limiter.

The ratio control features five positions ranging from 2:1 to 20:1, with a sixth position marked as “∞!”. According to Avenson, “The infinity control has a little exclamation point next to it because, not only is it really flat, but it also puts you in that spot where you can do some over-compression and other interesting things. It changes where the threshold starts to compress as well, so it gives you different varieties of tonal characteristics to play with.”

The BAC-500’s sidechain toggle switch offers a choice of three possible settings: flat, high-pass filter, and an option that somewhat exaggerates the high end while simultaneously cutting the low end. “The overall effect of this third setting is somewhat like a de-esser fed into the sidechain, but it’s a little wider than that and quite good for taming a variety of things that are overly bright,” Avenson notes.
With all of the controls essentially cranked between the input and output knobs, the BAC-500 is capable of delivering nearly 50 dB of gain, which can be very helpful in compensating for serious gain reduction issues caused by greatly compressing dynamic range.

The bypass button found below the output knob is a true relay bypass, while the adjacent distortion button allows the user to overload the FET for color. “A lot of FET compressors use tricks to linearize the FET as a compression element and make it sound cleaner because if they’re used by themselves, they’re really pretty raunchy sounding,” says the designer. “So this switch allows you to play with how much of the distortion characteristics of the FET you get. By engaging it, you’re getting a lot more second harmonic distortion. It’s basically a way to kick in a more aggressive sounding compressor without changing any of the other settings. You can dial in the amount of dirt you want.”

Avenson sums the BAC-500 up by adding, “Although this product is largely designed to provide a bit of color and flavor—and not be too heavy handed—it really does possess that nice ‘bite’ that is characteristic of FET compressors and perfect for cranking down on things like drum room mics when you need it.”

Old 3rd August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
I totally agree!

- c
Yo tambien.
Old 3rd August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➡️
Hey folks- who is selling these things? I can't find any info doing searches.

Thanks!
Goldenageaudio in Sweden:
Golden Age Music - Sweden
📝 Reply