PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle
Old 6th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric ➑️
Typically they are. These EQ's are however different.

Run a 1k -1dB sine wave through each EQ and look at a FFT. You will see that each EQ adds unique harmonic content to the original sine wave. Selecting SAT also will effect this (adds more). Retro Q and PreQursor do not add any harmonic content unless SAT is selected. These EQ's also have some pretty unique filter shapes, up-sample when running at 48khz or below and utilize 64 bit double precision. SAT also acts as a soft clipper when audio is driven into clipping range.
BINGO!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric ➑️
Typically they are. These EQ's are however different.

Run a 1k -1dB sine wave through each EQ and look at a FFT. You will see that each EQ adds unique harmonic content to the original sine wave. Selecting SAT also will effect this (adds more). Retro Q and PreQursor do not add any harmonic content unless SAT is selected. These EQ's also have some pretty unique filter shapes, up-sample when running at 48khz or below and utilize 64 bit double precision. SAT also acts as a soft clipper when audio is driven into clipping range.
Thank you for this response. I really appreciate it.

Appears they would be worth the investment (hard to pass up at $99 USD)!!!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I didn't actually read through all of the "all EQs are the same" thread. My impression was that you generally wanted both transparent and colored EQs.. and perhaps more / better colors, the better. I sorta assume the "they're all the same" sorta applies to software based transparent EQs? That or what would conventionally be taken as differences that have to do with how the EQ.. bad way of putting it.. draws its curves over the frequency space? Maybe I should just go read that thread...

In any event.. I had planned on buying these EQs when I saw the special holiday deal.. it used to be that the only EQs I was using where those that came with my DAWs (Ableton and Digital Performer) Liquid Mix and one of those IK Multimedia jobs.. so I wanted something for color that didn't produce huge latency issues, and wasn't super CPU expensive..

But then I got seduced buy the low price on the Waves Gold Bundle.. which I haven't researched well enough to have any real idea about what it's EQs are all about and Waves's marketing materials, and even there manuals, don't go very far into it.. so I didn't know if I should be bad and pick up the PSPs as well at that point.. but given what folks in this thread were saying, I figured I shouldn't pass it up... but still haven't had much of a chance to really get too deeply into them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PSP Squad EQ Bundle -- purchased.

And my apologies to PSP and everyone else for bringing up the 'all eq's are the same' issue on this thread.

If the Oldtimer is any indication, I will be using this everywhere.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoni PSP ➑️
Oooops it is our mistake. It seems that we put in the installers wrong (old) files. Today we will upload new installers to our server. We will send newsletter to our registered users when they will be ready to download.

Warm regards from cold Warsaw
Antoni
PSP
Whats in store for the future ???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 ➑️
PSP Squad EQ Bundle -- purchased.

And my apologies to PSP and everyone else for bringing up the 'all eq's are the same' issue on this thread.

If the Oldtimer is any indication, I will be using this everywhere.
I would 80% agree but there is def some, the PSP ones for example that do something different, Nebula,Abbey road are others that do something special for eq plugins.

Re the sine test i was trying this earlier with loads of different plugins. The Stillwell Rocket impetus knob turned right up added a lot of harmonic as well.

Ben
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Also bought the sQuad bundle (already own VM2, oldTimer, MixPack2). Good sheet!!
Old 7th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
With the different discounts I was offered by PSP, this bundle ended up costing me a whopping $67. Might be the deal of the century. After a quick demo, there is definitely something special going on here. I love the sim on the ClassicQex, and the preQursor looks like another gem.

I've always been a huge fan of this company , and now with this bundle AND Oldtimer, I think I'm a lifer.

Nice work once again, PSP!!!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would have to agree with the above.

Xeon is next...

PSP really is a great company -- now

Where is my PSP Oldtimer? I need a blush of compression on this post?!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 ➑️
I would have to agree with the above.

Xeon is next...

PSP really is a great company -- now

Where is my PSP Oldtimer? I need a blush of compression on this post?!
About to buy the sQuad bundle, after demoing the OldTimer on the 2buss, I can't live without it!!! These guys are good.........
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How would you guys compare the Massey CT4 against Oldtimer.....???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles ➑️
I didn't actually read through all of the "all EQs are the same" thread. My impression was that you generally wanted both transparent and colored EQs.. and perhaps more / better colors, the better. I sorta assume the "they're all the same" sorta applies to software based transparent EQs? That or what would conventionally be taken as differences that have to do with how the EQ.. bad way of putting it.. draws its curves over the frequency space? Maybe I should just go read that thread...

In any event.. I had planned on buying these EQs when I saw the special holiday deal.. it used to be that the only EQs I was using where those that came with my DAWs (Ableton and Digital Performer) Liquid Mix and one of those IK Multimedia jobs.. so I wanted something for color that didn't produce huge latency issues, and wasn't super CPU expensive..

But then I got seduced buy the low price on the Waves Gold Bundle.. which I haven't researched well enough to have any real idea about what it's EQs are all about and Waves's marketing materials, and even there manuals, don't go very far into it.. so I didn't know if I should be bad and pick up the PSPs as well at that point.. but given what folks in this thread were saying, I figured I shouldn't pass it up... but still haven't had much of a chance to really get too deeply into them
All EQs are not the same, why would anyone care about the console, channel strip, or plugin that they were using if they were the same? There is quite a bit of difference in filters as far as type, slopes, interaction, Q factor curve in cut or boost, coloration (trans, sat, etc) etc. Anybody that says they are the same needs an audio course, or two, or ten.
The Waves EQs, especially the ones in the Gold bundle are not in the same league as these, I am not a fan of them as well. The PSP bundle has both "color" and "clean" EQs in it. I love color EQs and have many of them, these have not let me down!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ryan ➑️
I have never tried it. Anyone else?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Steve Massey makes great products
i wouldnt use the CT4 today anymore but i certainly miss Masseys L2007 Limiter in AU
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➑️
Steve Massey makes great products
i wouldnt use the CT4 today anymore but i certainly miss Masseys L2007 Limiter in AU
Why would you say so ????
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The only thing that the SIM button does is to put a single even harmonic in every signal present in the path, at a lower level, whichever frequency it may be (low or high), so thats a kinda weak representation of a "class A w/ tranformer path"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
complementary. Similar workflow, different results. I still think it's very good, and I remembered being amazed when I first used it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manasseh ➑️
The only thing that the SIM button does is to put a single even harmonic in every signal present in the path, at a lower level, whichever frequency it may be (low or high), so thats a kinda weak representation of a "class A w/ tranformer path"
I thought it added a bit of third harmonic (and higher) as well as second.

True, it might not be as sophisticated as some saturation simulations but it definitely adds something.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton ➑️
I thought it added a bit of third harmonic (and higher) as well as second.

True, it might not be as sophisticated as some saturation simulations but it definitely adds something.
Hey guys, it's not as simple as you may have thought. Here are the words from the creator of the sQuad equalizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz from PSP
The SIM mode is something like circuitry emulation of class A discreet amps and transformer. In simple words it combines various saturation effects and it produce different saturation depending on frequency and level. Part of this sound is produced pre and the other post Output knob and it is independent from the output SATuration algorithm.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All I can say is THANX PSP!! Fantastic tools, the McQ is excellent, It really has made my life easier and the new band on the Classic is just perfect.
LdC
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I love using the sQuad EQs and can't wait to get this update installed! A new EQ and an extra band for the excellent ClassicQ - sounds like a great update to me
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This has probably been said a thousand times, but I'm really starting to appreciate not seeing frequency curves in these plugs. It absolutely forces you to use your ears!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapause ➑️
This has probably been said a thousand times, but I'm really starting to appreciate not seeing frequency curves in these plugs. It absolutely forces you to use your ears!
amen!
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Why would you say so ????
used the CT4 to save CPU at times when UAD was king
replaced my UAD comps with OldTimer and Waves Vocal Rider lately
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This squad/oldtimer combo is a killer. It gives you three different ways to generate harmonics.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the more i use these plugins, the more i love them. such a nice analogy feel.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yikes! These plugs are cpu munchers! Are you guys bussing to these cause theirs no way i can do console mimicing with these plugs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz ➑️
Yikes! These plugs are cpu munchers! Are you guys bussing to these cause theirs no way i can do console mimicing with these plugs.
Mighty big CPUs on todays computers. Are they really that big of a drain on yours? I have just a Q6600 in mine and put convo EQs on every track of some pretty big mixes, and still manage to stay below 45%. Cheers
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound ➑️
Mighty big CPUs on todays computers. Are they really that big of a drain on yours? I have just a Q6600 in mine and put convo EQs on every track of some pretty big mixes, and still manage to stay below 45%. Cheers
Still on a core 2. Yeah I know but my mini works. and its portable for me to run too different countries with.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
PSP sQuad, Oldtimer and Nebula 3 with the new Alex B Tube Console MKII on every channel and bus is retro heaven.
(Caution: may eat your processor)
πŸ“ Reply