The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle
Old 22nd December 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
New Version 1.5.1 Posted

New in PSP sQuad v1.5.1:
PSP classicQex: This is an extended version of the PSP classicQ with extra low mid filter.
PSP preQursor: Now all four bell filters have a Q switch to engage steeper characteristics.
Changes:
Double precision processing is added.
Automatic mono processing is added for reduced CPU usage on mono tracks.
Improper automation values in reference to control states fixed.
Various minor compatibility issues solved.

-SD
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
New Qex Added

Also, PSP is having a sale through Jan 7th and the bundle is only $99. After that, it goes up to $249.

-SD
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
As a Nebula user aswell i have to say these are the best EQs i've heard to date. They have a color/life of their own and i like the saturation a lot. I liked them so much that i'm going to take the oportunity and buy these. I need good low latency EQs like these, i use Nebula mostly in final stages or as offline processing (due to latency/ram memory usage).

Still one point has to be made: Nebula still sounds a lot more natural, musical and depthful, i haven't heard any other plugin reach that level yet. This is due to the Harmonic Distortion and Nonlinear Dynamic Convolution. It's the only plugin in the box that truly has a big and natural 3D sound easily giving a natural life to sounds. where others fall flat and 2D.

But these are exciting times, developers are more open to ideas like the folks at Acustica and Wave Arts. Things will only get more musical, 3D and realistic sounding in the box from now on. ;]
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsound ➑️
60% off in addition to the christmas discount coupon and the discount for owning a bunch of other PSP stuff makes for a pretty difficult deal to resist...

What's the Christmas discount?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kessler ➑️
What's the Christmas discount?
I think he's referring to registered Vintage Warmer 2 users getting an extra 20% off any PSP purchase, valid until the end of the year. At least that's what the email I received said. This won me over on the sQuad, just bought and installed it for about $70 plus VAT.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Got ya. Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 ➑️
I think he's referring to registered Vintage Warmer 2 users getting an extra 20% off any PSP purchase, valid until the end of the year. At least that's what the email I received said. This won me over on the sQuad, just bought and installed it for about $70 plus VAT.
Thanks for explaining that. I don't have VW, so I didn't get that mail. I do have mastercomp, oldtimer and Nitro, but I guess those don't rate an additional discount for some reason. At $87.50, I'll most likely jump.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the extra band PSP! Great stuff.
csl
Lives for gear
This is a steal at 99 bucks. Love the saturation on this bundle too.
Old 25th December 2009 | Show parent
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renan L.B ➑️
As a Nebula user aswell i have to say these are the best EQs i've heard to date. They have a color/life of their own and i like the saturation a lot. I liked them so much that i'm going to take the oportunity and buy these. I need good low latency EQs like these, i use Nebula mostly in final stages or as offline processing (due to latency/ram memory usage).

Still one point has to be made: Nebula still sounds a lot more natural, musical and depthful, i haven't heard any other plugin reach that level yet. This is due to the Harmonic Distortion and Nonlinear Dynamic Convolution. It's the only plugin in the box that truly has a big and natural 3D sound easily giving a natural life to sounds. where others fall flat and 2D.

But these are exciting times, developers are more open to ideas like the folks at Acustica and Wave Arts. Things will only get more musical, 3D and realistic sounding in the box from now on. ;]
After testing these, and being also pleasantly surprised about the saturation function, I also have to say Nebula still sounds noticeably better, deeper, and (probably surprising for some) quicker in getting the desired sound. Somehow with the sQuads I find it's harder to get a sound I really like. Of course YMMV.
Old 25th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
downloaded and been using these all day. i am super impressed and will buy the bundle after xmas. these are the best software eqs i've ever used. the high pass filters are great, perfect for cutting the lows off of vocals. the mid bands are amazing and very musical; tweaked a drum track to a whole new place by adding to the mids - very natural sounding and with no harshness.
Old 26th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Loving EX!! Nebula, Squad, DDMF are the only soft eq's I even use now. I used to be a die-hard Waves API user, but after using the Nebula version of the 5500 and 550b, they will be getting far less use. Umming & ahhing about WUP now, but the 2500 and SSL channel & comp would be missed a bit, but....
Old 27th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just bought sQuad for the $99... cannot believe how great a deal this is. So far RetroQ is my favorite, ClassicQ is my second fav.. have yet to really dig into the other three...

RetroQ is excellent for finding that low/mid-low sweet spot. Dial it properly on your kick and bass and your mix will totally *sit* like a fat dude in a recliner. I also recommend slappin one of these on the master bus (as PSP suggests on their website) and play around with the mid/low-mids... you'll find it breathes unexpected life into your mix.

ClassicQ is sounding great on vocals and instruments with tricky highs. Totally breathed new life into an alto sax track that was giving me trouble.

Also havin a great time pairing these up with PSP's Mixpressor2. Another great purchase from them (though not a *super* versatile compressor I've found... btw.. why don't they make a bundle with just compressors, like they do with sQuad? heh)

However, anyone havin issues with the graphics getting glitched out from time to time??
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwflood ➑️
Just bought sQuad for the $99... cannot believe how great a deal this is. So far RetroQ is my favorite, ClassicQ is my second fav.. have yet to really dig into the other three...

RetroQ is excellent for finding that low/mid-low sweet spot. Dial it properly on your kick and bass and your mix will totally *sit* like a fat dude in a recliner. I also recommend slappin one of these on the master bus (as PSP suggests on their website) and play around with the mid/low-mids... you'll find it breathes unexpected life into your mix.

ClassicQ is sounding great on vocals and instruments with tricky highs. Totally breathed new life into an alto sax track that was giving me trouble.

Also havin a great time pairing these up with PSP's Mixpressor2. Another great purchase from them (though not a *super* versatile compressor I've found... btw.. why don't they make a bundle with just compressors, like they do with sQuad? heh)

However, anyone havin issues with the graphics getting glitched out from time to time??

Same here. Retro on the 2 buss before oldTimer using very light settings on each. Getting a nice analog vibe. Replacing many eq's on tracks with Console Q, love the sound on that & preQursor is nice for certain things like orchestra/ pianos.

I have an issue with Retro not preserving the mid knob setting on my user presets from time to time.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah I can't get over how great RetroQ sounds on a kick drum.. it brings out the attack and the boom with such ease.

What's great about this bundle is that the four really don't have much overlap.

Console and preqursor seem to be less intuitive... i'll have to tinker with those some more. I believe the preqursor is the neve-inspired one? I want to record some vocals through the preqursor with just the SAT enabled, see what I come up with...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➑️
After testing these, and being also pleasantly surprised about the saturation function, I also have to say Nebula still sounds noticeably better, deeper, and (probably surprising for some) quicker in getting the desired sound. Somehow with the sQuads I find it's harder to get a sound I really like. Of course YMMV.
I feel the same way. They sound good for the cheap price but in reality they are overrated.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwflood ➑️
i'll have to tinker with those some more. I believe the preqursor is the neve-inspired one?.

ClassiQ is the Neve inspired one. Preqursor is an PSP original design according to them - though it sounds remarkably simillar to the API550b. ConsoleQ is Ameky and RetroQ is Avalony.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Years ago, one of the first plugins PSP had planned was a 1073-Neve-inspired EQ. The GUI looked just like a 1073. I think it may have even been called precursor, but I'm not sure on that. This was long before Vintage Warmer. However, for whatever reason, it was shelved, and instead URS became one of the first companies to introduce a "Neve" EQ. I wonder if this that old plugin that never came to be, although in the manual he does say the classicq, not the precursor, is the Neve inspired one. In any event, I love PSP, I love this bundle, and I'm happy that they understand how to achieve repeat business!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingUgly ➑️
Years ago, one of the first plugins PSP had planned was a 1073-Neve-inspired EQ. The GUI looked just like a 1073. I think it may have even been called precursor, but I'm not sure on that. This was long before Vintage Warmer. However, for whatever reason, it was shelved, and instead URS became one of the first companies to introduce a "Neve" EQ. I wonder if this that old plugin that never came to be, although in the manual he does say the classicq, not the precursor, is the Neve inspired one. In any event, I love PSP, I love this bundle, and I'm happy that they understand how to achieve repeat business!
That's cool, I didn't know that!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does anyone have this running on PT 8.03 For Windows ???
Old 1st January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Had to jump on that deal.
Loving the EQs totally worth the money.

However, I couldn't have justified to pay the usual full price for yet another EQ plugin, no matter how good and what flavour.

These no-brainer deals are fantastic.

Hope PSP is going to offer more deals like that in the future.
Hear me PSP: Only getting my money for plugs with hot deals...!
Old 1st January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just bought sQuad and oldtimer...stoked.
gotta love PSP
Old 2nd January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get it while its on sale guys.....This is actually the only Psp product I was moved by.....(Maybe Vintage Warmer a bit but there is too much latency and it was acting weird).....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
anyone else having issues with how these plugs are rendering onscreen? All the plugs come up normal, but are re-rendering like the attachment when i play with the controls.

i'm running:
- PTLE 7.3.1
- mac osx 10.4.11
- powermac g5 2x2.0 GHz
- 8 gig RAM
Attached Thumbnails
PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle-picture-1.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think its a bit funny because the output meter only works when you touch the knob....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
For owning a couple of plug-ins, plus the discount coupon, my purchase amount came to $61.81... definitely couldn't pass it up at that price!
Old 3rd January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Silly question about the RetroQ. Is the Sat led supposed to "light up" when the switch is set to Sat? On Sat or Thru the led doesn't change. Just curious. And btw, I am not hearing much of a difference either so I'm not sure if it's working or my ears maybe worn out right now.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➑️
Silly question about the RetroQ. Is the Sat led supposed to "light up" when the switch is set to Sat? On Sat or Thru the led doesn't change. Just curious. And btw, I am not hearing much of a difference either so I'm not sure if it's working or my ears maybe worn out right now.
No it does not light up when sat is engaged, it only seems to light up when sat is bypassed and the audio is clipping
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sat is basically a feature that makes a the source not distort after the plugin......Too me its good and bad....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Its a pity you have to turn up the output to get it to saturate, and there is no further level to bring it back down again

matt
πŸ“ Reply