PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon ➑️
That would be great. Maybe you can include information about your system and the number of plugins you're able to load.
Mac G5: Dual 2.7Ghz + 4GB Ram, running OS 10.4 + PTLE 7.4.

I didn't try and max out the CPU or anything, I did however slap 48 mono instances on aux tracks, at a 1024 buffer size and the CPU was about 50%.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I want to do a test too, how do I go about it.

just put as many plugins as I can on tracks and hit play?

and, would this be with an empty project? (i.e. no audio or midi regions on the tracks?)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a couple different tests I'll do with plugins before I even see what they sound like.

I use PTLE, so the first test is to check the latency.

2nd, depending on what kind of plug it is, I'll compare it against a few others I already have. These being EQ's, I just made a new session with 48 tracks, then highlited about 4 minutes worth of time across all 48 tracks and consolidated the regions. This way I've got actual, independent audio files on all 48 tracks. Not sure if this is really necessary, but I do it anyways just to be sure.

Then, I put the Waves SSL G-EQ on all 48 tracks, open the CPU usage window, hit play and see where it's at. Then I'll just replace the SSL EQ with the PSP, hit play, and check the meter. I'll also check it against the URS Neve parametric, because that one is extremely LIGHT on the CPU. It's not terribly scientific, but it still basically shows me if it's gonna be more or less than the Waves/URS, which is all I'm really looking for........in a channel/console style EQ plug that is.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is someone trying these plugins out with Logic?

Can you tell me, what you see on the automation lanes when you automate these new PSP plugins?

I could install the demo, but I do not have time now, so I rather install them when I have some time to play with them. Otherwise it's a waste of the demo period. And on the other hand, if they don't show the values of the GUI (like 3dB boost etc.) they are not that usefull for me, I want them to show up correctly on my controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg ➑️
Do these EQ's show the right values in Logic on the automation lane if you automate them?

I have the PSP masterpack and because those plugins are written cross-platform, they don't show the values you see on the GUI on the automation track. I like the sound and still use the plugins but they're hard to adjust from my controller (smart av tango) because it shows the values it gets from the plugin.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not shure if i get your question right, but if i automate the PSP EQs i get the same info next to the automation-dots as if i automate the Logic Channel EQ.

It shows the frequencies and the gain, depending on what i'm automating.

But when i opened the plugin to "watch" the automation while the track is running, Logic crashes. This does not happen if i stop the track, open the plugin and press start again.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
That would be great. Maybe you can include information about your system and the number of plugins you're able to load.
*Pictures now unavailable

Here's a *picture from my system revealing 60 instances of sQuad. The song is running at 44.1 with the buffer at 512 and med. I placed one of each eq on 15 of the audio and instrument channels used.

If you notice, there's plenty of other plugs working too, including some pretty intense ones such as Kore, Battery, Omnisphere, Kontakt, Philharmonic, as well as Waves API, and JJP, Gtr, IR1, etc. There's even TR3 running on the 2Bus. It feels like my system was still very responsive, and the meters within a moderate range.

In my opinion this means... "this is not a problem"

Mac 2.8
6 gigs RAM
L8

-SD
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is someone trying these plugins out with Logic?

Can you tell me, what you see on the automation lanes when you automate these new PSP plugins?

I could install the demo, but I do not have time now, so I rather install them when I have some time to play with them. Otherwise it's a waste of the demo period. And on the other hand, if they don't show the values of the GUI (like 3dB boost etc.) they are not that usefull for me, I want them to show up correctly on my controller.
Hi,

Here's a *picture the classicQ automated within L8. It shows a mid freq gain adjustment. The gain change appears to reveal properly, however I have not worked at all with automating this bundle, so this was a first for me too. I did some other adjustments not shown, that also seemed to automate correctly.

Hope this helps.

*Pictures now unavailable

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm not shure if i get your question right, but if i automate the PSP EQs i get the same info next to the automation-dots as if i automate the Logic Channel EQ.

It shows the frequencies and the gain, depending on what i'm automating.
This is good news, if I do the same thing with MasterQ I get weird values between 0 and 1. You see the value of the code instead of the parameter it controls (it does not show the values that you see on the GUI like 3 dB or 4kHz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
Hi,

Here's a picture the classicQ automated within L8. It shows a mid freq gain adjustment. The gain change appears to reveal properly, however I have not worked at all with automating this bundle, so this was a first for me too. I did some other adjustments not shown, that also seemed to automate correctly.

Hope this helps.
This surely helps. If you still have some time could you automate a frequency and watch if this is also being accurately shown on the automation lane?

I think it does, because the MasterQ doesn't show dB values, so this is already different with these new EQ plugins. I e-mailed PSP once about this and they told me this was due to the plugin being coded cross-platform. They probably took the care to make sure the new plugs show the correct values in Logic. This is good news. When I have time, I will surely try how these plugins sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When I have time, I will surely try how these plugins sound.
Do it! I think it's worth trying these EQs.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I just picked up the Squad bundle. My favorite of the bunch so far is the PSP preQursor and so far so good in logic 8
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
anybody use these on rap vox or anything hiphop?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
I have only used these on acoustic tracks so far, but I bet they would be useful on rap/hip hop. You could use the ClassicQ for tracks that you want to sound "in your face", and the ConsoleQ on background stuff. The ConsoleQ is modeled after an Amek... RZA owned an Amek Galileo console last time I checked. The preQursor and RetroQ could be useful on vocals, acoustic samples and mix buss. Try the free 2-week demo and see if you like them.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't tried it on rap-vocals, but i really like the preQursor to shape HipHop-bassdrums. Boosting at 60Hz can sound great with this one..
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The special has been extended another week, if I read my e-mail correctly. Actually, I got one saying the 14th, then another one 7 minutes later saying the 21st.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've bought it anyway...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➑️
no doubt these will be ****-hot...
they are! I demo'd em and then bought em'. They sound just as good, if not slightly better, than the eq on MTA 990 console I was using for 5 years, seriously. The highs just sound...less smeary and more sympathetic and powerful, very very impressed. Infact, theres been some excellent native dsp released of late, csp and ahem...t-racks 3 springs to mind. Don't flame me ;P
dfegad
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I haven't tried it on rap-vocals, but i really like the preQursor to shape HipHop-bassdrums. Boosting at 60Hz can sound great with this one..
+1.
i am currently correcting the bass end with preQursor in the mastering stage of a
project.
WaveBurner is the app.
DR9.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just have to add, these are really nice. PreQursor is great. The first time I've liked PSP's analog modeling. I hope they follow it up with some compressors in this vein.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
taking a liking to these also!

PSP preQursor thumbsup

PSP RetroQ

The other I haven't had a chance to put too work, Im mixing a song thus far these eq's have been my go too.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prene1 ➑️
PSP preQursor thumbsup

PSP RetroQ

It really doesn't happen often that a new plugin-bundle gets that much love on gearslutz! But for the price, i don't even want to talk about educational discount, these are great!

Times are getting harder for companies like waves to sell their plugins to people who (buy software at all and) are on a budget!
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The PSP store now reads: offer valid until February 28th.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm totally digging ClassicQ and PreQursor... But I'm finding the limitations of all the units are creativity-inspiring to me: I find myself selecting them as much for what they don't do or do differently from conventional parametrics as for any specific thing. ConsoleQ and RetroQ are still finding their roles, but the other modules have found some "go-to" niches already.

I've definitely requested readouts in my feedback, and encourage others to do so... I understand that they could be resistant because there may not be a 1:1 relationship in the scale, and readouts imply a level of precision that doesn't really exist in these non-linear devices. That's ok: make them abstract 1-11 scales if you want... it's more a matter of utility/setup than dB and Hz.

-d-
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Rough Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
Here's a static mix thats an hour in. Had to clean vocals and do some hi pass.... But the eq's are like butter too me.
Attached Files

4 PLAY BOUNCE BEZ VOX DOWN.mp3 (5.78 MB, 571 views)

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I installed the demo today and played around with the plugins. The first thing I noticed is the lack of a value display. I really want a value display here.

Mainly because not all the frequencies are marked on the interface. There are gaps in there that you just have to "guess" at.

Like for example the ClassicQ's MF band selector: 50 80 150 Hz k4 k7 1k

... what are the ticks in between those? And what frequency is at the Hz point? How am I supposed to fix problems I see on an analyzer without knowing what frequency the band I am in is set to?

The plugins sound great. But this design flaw is maddening. Is there any way to find out what those gap frequencies in the plugins are?

Definitely need a value display. Even if I can't input anything in, I just want to know what setting I am actually using.

Thanks.
-Z
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
they said they did it on purpose, so you have to use your ears and not your eyes, etc
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
After a while you make a chart of what frequencies work best for what microphones, or instruments. Then you can quickly set up an EQ for that instrument.

I really don't buy the ears thing. To me it just looks kinda lazy. Why would you not have the values display? Eyes and Ears! :P

I think they will find a lot of people asking for this feature. I'd say roughly 80% of their customers will request at LEAST fully labeled controls. I mean there is no sense in leaving some positions blank.

And I don't care if I am not able to enter a value. As I said, I just want to see the value of the frequencies that I am setting. Or at least a ballpark figure. Doesn't have to be dead accurate.

-Z
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not to highjack, but I wish these not only had readouts, but also graphs. I love these Soundscape GUI's with popup graphs.

from this: http://www.sydec.be/App/Content/?ID=...1-70d5bd74bb64

to this: http://www.sydec.be/App/Content/?ID=...f-a747294f9e47

from this: http://www.sydec.be/App/Content/?ID=...1-42a8930e9ead

to this: http://www.sydec.be/App/Content/?ID=...b-c24474b74e34

from this: http://www.sydec.be/App/Content/?ID=...8-c9141f654595

to this: http://www.sydec.be/App/Content/?ID=...0-aa9d560e4ef6
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

This surely helps. If you still have some time could you automate a frequency and watch if this is also being accurately shown on the automation lane?

but of course...

no longer available

-SD
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous ➑️
- not to highjack, but I wish these not only had readouts, but also graphs. I love these Soundscape GUI's with popup graphs.

Those are nice.

-SD
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
Dude I need to figure out how to automate those freq knobs so I can figure out what each step actually is. :P

EDIT: Ok, I figured out Logic Automation and checked each tick freq in the consoleQ. It's interesting to say the least :D

Use your mouse's scroll wheel for each actual tick up or down
HPF = Variable
LF = 30 35 43 63 103 150 210 240 368 410
LMF = 75 85 111 160 289 428 610 768 966 1.19 1.55
HMF = 420 458 635 1.13 1.86 2.76 3.75 5.15 6.15 7.5 9.7
HF = 1.48 1.55 1.65 2.16 2.96 4.64 6.36 8.89 12.1 15.8 20

As you can see, the labels and the ticks are not really close at all to the actual freq. For instance, the HF marked 18 is actually 15.8

Last edited by Zero Point; 17th February 2009 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: Additional EQ info
πŸ“ Reply