PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle
Old 12th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi ➡️
Here's the error message I'm getting in Peak when using the AU version...

Bias Peak Pro (5.2.1)

PowerMac G5 DualCore 2.3 (PPC) with 8GB of RAM, Tiger 10.4.11,
Digidesign Digi 002 (Console)
Is it iLok or standard authorization? 1.5.1c?

Regards,

Mat
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton ➡️
This is how I understand it.

One day we'll all be working at 96k or above and it won't be an issue anymore...(?)

Oh God, I want to kill myself...
The bad news is that doubling the sample rate is great for AD/DA filters but is just one octave and it doesn't change the aliasing that much in the case of digital saturation/distortion which have high order harmonics when driven hard. This is why there is no much difference between sQuad working in 44.1 and 96kHz. It is noticeable but not really clear.

Regards,

Mat
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Don't kill yourself, Kenton!! tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpsp ➡️
The bad news is that doubling the sample rate is great for AD/DA filters but is just one octave and it doesn't change the aliasing that much in the case of digital saturation/distortion which have high order harmonics when driven hard. This is why there is no much difference between sQuad working in 44.1 and 96kHz. It is noticeable but not really clear.

Regards,

Mat
It's true.
One octave would just reduce aliasing from the 3rd harmonic - you'd still have 5th and above although they'd be diminishing proportionately.

In my short time investigating, 8x seemed to be required to eliminate most aliasing artifacts to my satisfaction. That was using Voxengo Elephant in CLIP mode. A bit too processor hungry for general use I expect.

sQuad is much better than others who don't use upsampling.
In most situations it shouldn't be an issue - it's just good to be aware of when and how it MIGHT cause problems.

(Don't get me wrong, I really like PSP's plugins.)

I hate myself for getting sucked into this...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello,

As I wrote this jumping down GUI in PT 7.4 fix will be fixed in 1.5.2 version. We are still waiting for some details to complete the installer.

Regards,

Mat
ah, misunderstood about 1.5.1c. Thanks for the clarification.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Is the HPF working for you folks on RetroQ AU? Seems dead here on MacPro Motu DP.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcomp ➡️
Is the HPF working for you folks on RetroQ AU? Seems dead here on MacPro Motu DP.
See above been answered about 3 times in this thread

Click on the word HPF it will activate
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➡️

Oh my. Thanks 1010. SO sorry for the wasted bandwidth folks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcomp ➡️
Oh my. Thanks 1010. SO sorry for the wasted bandwidth folks.
No worries
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➡️

Ha, thanx from me as well, but still they could make that a bit more obvious like on the other EQ´s.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Matpsp- First off I love the sQuad, it is great, but I personally am finding this aliasing issue to be quite bothersome, especially in vocal tracks. I am aware that sim and sat can be turned off, but those functions both result in the character that I love so much in these EQs. Honestly, if the fix involves greater latency, it is not a bother, I'm a Pro Tools user and it is either compensated for automatically in HD, or manually in LE. Is there anyway that a steeper low pass filter (brickwall) can be introduced into these plugins algorithm, to combat this generation of aliasing.

Or Is there anyway I can combat this aliasing while using the sat and sim functions without stripping out a significant portion of the high end and then adding it back via the unprocessed signal.

Thank You so Much, its nice to see a company that cares so much about customer satisfaction.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Noise ➡️
Matpsp- First off I love the sQuad, it is great, but I personally am finding this aliasing issue to be quite bothersome, especially in vocal tracks. I am aware that sim and sat can be turned off, but those functions both result in the character that I love so much in these EQs. Honestly, if the fix involves greater latency, it is not a bother, I'm a Pro Tools user and it is either compensated for automatically in HD, or manually in LE. Is there anyway that a steeper low pass filter (brickwall) can be introduced into these plugins algorithm, to combat this generation of aliasing.

Or Is there anyway I can combat this aliasing while using the sat and sim functions without stripping out a significant portion of the high end and then adding it back via the unprocessed signal.

Thank You so Much, its nice to see a company that cares so much about customer satisfaction.
I understand your point. In this case we did our best to provide good sound and low latency. SIM and SAT are optional algorithms and has to be used with care.
In the case of those plug-ins the latency is really important. The VintageWarmer2 helped us to understand that using a plug-in in a mix with over 2000 samples of latency is a pain in the back - PT cannot properly compensate such latencies and some other apps as well, and of course it gains the amount of memory used in multi track applications and other problems as well. Also the CPU usage of such algorithm would be really heavy - please notice that except high quality filtering also all processing would be done many times. I think that both the latency and CPU usage wouldn't be acceptable for many users.
For us the main idea behind the SAT was to provide a way to soft clip the signal properly whenever it is needed - not the solution to saturate all kind of sounds - however it can provide great results for many purposes.
Maybe the good idea would be to prepare an external plug-in with adequate processing to provide saturation and simulation with reduced aliasing. What would you say about such a solution?

Regards,

Mat
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Maybe the good idea would be to prepare an external plug-in with adequate processing to provide saturation and simulation with reduced aliasing. What would you say about such a solution?
sounds like a winner as it seems that this is an issue that hasn't really been addressed by many manufacturers (or indeed mentioned very often).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➡️
sounds like a winner as it seems that this is an issue that hasn't really been addressed by many manufacturers (or indeed mentioned very often).
+1 on what he said
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
+1 on saturation/simulation plug-in with high quality anti-aliasing. You could call it "sAAturator".
Old 13th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jembu ➡️

You could call it "sAAturator".
Witty

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Regards,

Mat
Hey Mat,

I completely agree : a full-blown SATuration and SIMulation plugin with NO compromise, and HQ processing (even at the cost of CPU usage AND latency) is a great move.

Put this in the clothes of RetroQ and, oh my... Sweet ;-) !

Thanks for listening.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Matpsp- That's sounds like a good solution, I didn't realize it would require upwards of 2000 samples to employ such an anti-aliasing filter/anti-imaging filter of sorts.

Once again PSP shows that it is a great company by addressing the issues at hand, and delivering superior customer support and satisfaction.

Thank You
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

What would you say about such a solution?

Regards,

Mat
I would use it

-SD
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes please!
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
+1 on the extra plug
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
+ another

matt
Lives for gear

Quote:
YES!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I understand your point. In this case we did our best to provide good sound and low latency. SIM and SAT are optional algorithms and has to be used with care.
In the case of those plug-ins the latency is really important. The VintageWarmer2 helped us to understand that using a plug-in in a mix with over 2000 samples of latency is a pain in the back - PT cannot properly compensate such latencies and some other apps as well, and of course it gains the amount of memory used in multi track applications and other problems as well. Also the CPU usage of such algorithm would be really heavy - please notice that except high quality filtering also all processing would be done many times. I think that both the latency and CPU usage wouldn't be acceptable for many users.
For us the main idea behind the SAT was to provide a way to soft clip the signal properly whenever it is needed - not the solution to saturate all kind of sounds - however it can provide great results for many purposes.

Regards,

Mat
I just love this kind of attention to user input.

Thanks, Mat and PSP.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Regards,

Mat
Does this mean that PSP is going to use an external box ala UAD? Could it at least be USB compatible?

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think PSP are in the hardware developing game...
I think Mat is referring to a SAT/SIM plugin "external" to (separated from) the sQuad EQ's - a separate plugin.

Let's face it, who here ISN'T going to say YES to a high quality, non-aliasing SAT/SIM plugin.......We are Slutz after all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will this be included in the sQuad Bundle ???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ryan ➡️
Will this be included in the sQuad Bundle ???
WOW, you're an optimist aren't you......
Old 14th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton ➡️
WOW, you're an optimist aren't you......
Yup.....
Old 14th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Regards,

Mat

Quote:
Hey Mat,

I completely agree : a full-blown SATuration and SIMulation plugin with NO compromise, and HQ processing (even at the cost of CPU usage AND latency) is a great move.

Put this in the clothes of RetroQ and, oh my... Sweet ;-) !

Thanks for listening.
Hey Mat, I like this idea too. But why not just make an even more KILLER version of the MixSaturator plug and implement these ideas in it? One Saturator plug to rule them all.
📝 Reply