PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP Audioware Squad EQ Bundle
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz ➑️
Yikes! These plugs are cpu munchers! Are you guys bussing to these cause theirs no way i can do console mimicing with these plugs.
I can't say I have much CPU problems with my 2,5 year old MBP (2.2 Core 2 Duo) while running this plugins in large sessions.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They do use quite a bit more horsepower than the average EQ.

SAT uses even more, and it looks like SIM uses a little more.

I thought maybe 96 would be kinder, since it's not supposed to auto-FAT, but it took over 10% more.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
PSP - Many companies, like Waves could learn a great deal from your way of doing business - Your products, pricing and overall approach is admirable.
Thank you. You've done it again.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
I can't say I have much CPU problems with my 2,5 year old MBP (2.2 Core 2 Duo) while running this plugins in large sessions.
Everything depends of your projects type. When you have 50 audio tracks there is no problem but when you have also a lot of virtual instruments tracks including some CPU heavy synths, each CPU cycle is important
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook ➑️
Everything depends of your projects type. When you have 50 audio tracks there is no problem but when you have also a lot of virtual instruments tracks including some CPU heavy synths, each CPU cycle is important
Of course, that's why I always export all my VSTi tracks to WAV files when I'm done with the song/music arrangement.

Don't have the luck to be able to run multiple instruments AND effects at the same time.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Are any of you guys running into odd GUI glitches running these as RTAS? I keep getting these weird double interface artifacts. Sometimes I have to actually switch the insert to "no insert" and re-insert the EQ for it to go away. I'm using PT 7.4, OS 10.4.11 PPC Dual 2G. They sound freaking amazing though!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
dude im maxing just inserting 48 instances of one plug not even with any tracks running lol.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz ➑️
dude im maxing just inserting 48 instances of one plug not even with any tracks running lol.
What computer are you running? Q6600 running XP and Cubase 5 here. 40 instances of McQ and 40 instances of URS Sat give me about 40% usage.

EDIT: I run at 88kHz should that make any difference

Herwig
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course, but then the instruments are taking up your CPU, not the plugins, so you can't really blame them heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
Of course, but then the instruments are taking up your CPU, not the plugins, so you can't really blame them heh
What I need to say is that there is definitely some place to get better CPU efficiency of these fine sounding plugins, no more no less. When high-end Lexicon reverb or Waves EQ eat 2-3% of CPU there is no reason for 7-8% here. CPU efficiency is also quality parameter for me especially in case of tracking plugins.
Imagine two cars with the same spec. and performance, one with 6liters/100km and the other with 15liters/100km. It does not matter if you have enough money or rather big fuel tank...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For Europe the actual price is EUR 89.67 / USD 117.81
They should advertise the price including VAT.

Also, I would prefer the option of buying these plug-ins separately like with D16 or Stillwell. I bought the Stillwell '1973' Neve emu, which is 39 dollar = 27 euro.
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=17

'psp squad bundle
Subtotal: EUR 75.35 / USD 99.00
plus 19% sales tax/VAT: EUR 14.32 / USD 18.81
Total amount:
EUR 89.67 / USD 117.81'
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
sQuad efficiency

Hello sQuad fans,

I am glad to read that so many of you have so positive opinion about those plugins. Also thanks for all comments and suggestions.
The comparably high CPU usage in these plug-ins strongly refers to their high quality processing. Comparisons to convolution eqs doesn't make much sense - they are different. We will further investigate the cpu performance solutions without cutting the quality.
Referring to the separate sell option - the sQuad bundle and its price is calculated as it was a single high quality processing. Splitting them would not reduce the price. The Europe VAT is as is - we are forced to ad it to the price.
All reported bugs are investigated and we are working to solve problems with protools 7.4 as well.
If you have any other suggestions for sQuad please email our [email protected]

Best regards,

Mat
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpsp ➑️
Hello sQuad fans,

I am glad to read that so many of you have so positive opinion about those plugins. Also thanks for all comments and suggestions.
The comparably high CPU usage in these plug-ins strongly refers to their high quality processing. Comparisons to convolution eqs doesn't make much sense - they are different. We will further investigate the cpu performance solutions without cutting the quality.

Mat
I personally think for the quality of these plugs, everyone should accept the cpu usage. If psp feel they can optimise performance without sacrifising quality then by-all-means feel free to do so. However if improving performance results in cutting corners and sacrifising quality then I would pass on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello sQuad fans,

Referring to the separate sell option - the sQuad bundle and its price is calculated as it was a single high quality processing. Splitting them would not reduce the price. The Europe VAT is as is - we are forced to ad it to the price.
All reported bugs are investigated and we are working to solve problems with protools 7.4 as well.
If you have any other suggestions for sQuad please email our [email protected]

Best regards,

Mat
I use and love almost all your plugins for years and all of them use more CPU power than competition in similar quality league. For me it is more about way of programming
Old 9th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can get 24 ClassicQ's (SIM on/ SAT off) and 24 oldTimers at an RTAS usage of 75% in PT MP on my MacBook C2D 2.4. "SAT on" all 24 EQ's takes it up about 5%. I think the oldTimers used about 25% alone.

My first PSP purchase was MasterComp. It is a real hog, but I could run it on my G4 PowerBook 1.5 (RIP). When I moved to the MacBook, MC actually used a higher CPU% in PT, than it did on the PowerBook.

That kind of soured me on PSP until oldTimer came out. I got it at the best deal, and I figured that offset my MC problems and investment a little. Now I've gotten farther in with sQuad... again, at the best deal.

Basically, I've got a little about $350 in all three... which is kind of like paying full price for oldTimer and sQuad. Oh, and I also got Nitro for $10. That sweetens the overall deal quite a bit. So, I guess I'm happy enough.

IIRC, MasterComp seemed to use different amounts of CPU depending on the host software, too. I think it may vary not only from PPC to MacIntel, but also on Windows. So, there may be a pretty wide range of usages.

Maybe one host/platform combination is the most efficient... like VST/Windows? I dunno. If there's room for more optimization to make the usage more efficient and similar, I'd sure like to see them do it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mat.

Regarding the VAT, I have no problem with paying tax or whatever. What I mean is I would like to see the total price incl. VAT because now you only see it upon shop checkout (or one has to calculate them for each plug-in). It would be more transparent if prices are (also) listed with VAT included.

Regarding the price, it seems like a fair price to me for the bundle. The Nitro Audiomidi deal was great. Maybe you could look into pricing something else around 30 euro like D16 and Stillwell do. And if the saturator from the PSP Mixpack bundle would be available separately, perhaps as a temporary deal, that might interest lots of people.

Anyway, great plug-ins, keep up the good work!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echotodd ➑️
Are any of you guys running into odd GUI glitches running these as RTAS? I keep getting these weird double interface artifacts. Sometimes I have to actually switch the insert to "no insert" and re-insert the EQ for it to go away. I'm using PT 7.4, OS 10.4.11 PPC Dual 2G. They sound freaking amazing though!
yes, see my post #174. my setup is similar to yours.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello sQuad fans,

Mat
If you are referring to my post, the only parallel I was drawing is that my convolution EQs that are in a wrapper consume huge amounts of CPU as well. I was inferring that a great sounding plug is well worth whatever cpu load it takes to run, and that most modern rigs have more than enough cpu for a big mix with lots of instances. I have already tried your sQuad bundle and Old Timer, they sound amazing and analog, I will be purchasing them both! The sQuad EQs are the only ones I like as much, and sometimes even more than my Hydratones!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echotodd ➑️
Are you using Waves plugs? Many times they don't play nice in the same session with some other brands, I cured that issue by not using them anymore! Things now sound even better!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools users Update to 1.5.1c NOW !

I just got an email from PSP:

We are pleased to announce an update of our PSP sQuad to version 1.5.1c
It is a crucial update for ProTools users only.
If you are using RTAS version of our plug-ins please update immediately to avoid past and future backward compatibility problems.
If you are using VST or AudioUnit version of our plug-ins you DON'T need to update.
VST and AudioUnit versions haven't been changed.

Please login to your account at PSP Registration Center to find download links and your authorization details.
https://www.pspaudioware.com/register/login.php

Warm regards from heavy snowing Warsaw
PSP Team

PSP sQuad version history 08.01.2010

PSP sQuad v.1.5.1c

Fixes:
All sQuad RTAS plug-ins. Backward compatibility to versions pre 1.5.x fixed.
This new version’s RTAS automation is not compatible to earlier 1.5.1 and any future versions.
Please update immediately.

Known problems:
odd GUI glitches under PT 7.4 (we are working on this problem)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I use and love almost all your plugins for years and all of them use more CPU power than competition in similar quality league. For me it is more about way of programming
This is true that most of our plug-ins use more CPU than similar plug-ins from other companies.
Most of our algorithms are not convolution type (excluding linear phase eq). Most of our processors have no way to be optimized for SIMD processing. Other optimizations in such processors typically are a kind of quality compromise like reduced bit resolution in filters, not exact compression curves etc or simplified algorithms in important points. For us the good sounding algorithm is much more important then cutting it to fit the CPU - we think that it is better to use good sounding sQuad EQs on major tracks then to have average sounding sQuad EQs on every track.

We continue the development of all out plug-ins and we always try to verify whether there is a way to make them faster without cutting their sound. The sQuad 1.5.x has now automatic mono mode which reduced CPU usage per instance by about 30% on mono tracks compared to the processing of stereo tracks.

The PT 7.4 jumping GUI bug is solved and new versions will be available soon with the next update.

Regards,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The PT 7.4 jumping GUI bug is solved and new versions will be available soon with the next update.
i'll check it out and see if it fixes PTLE 7.3.1. Is it meant to?
Deleted 6a619e4
Quote:
This is true that most of our plug-ins use more CPU than similar plug-ins from other companies.
Most of our algorithms are not convolution type (excluding linear phase eq). Most of our processors have no way to be optimized for SIMD processing. Other optimizations in such processors typically are a kind of quality compromise like reduced bit resolution in filters, not exact compression curves etc or simplified algorithms in important points. For us the good sounding algorithm is much more important then cutting it to fit the CPU - we think that it is better to use good sounding sQuad EQs on major tracks then to have average sounding sQuad EQs on every track.

We continue the development of all out plug-ins and we always try to verify whether there is a way to make them faster without cutting their sound. The sQuad 1.5.x has now automatic mono mode which reduced CPU usage per instance by about 30% on mono tracks compared to the processing of stereo tracks.

Regards,
Yes, quality is more important than efficiency. There are too many average plugins already!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
would just like to say I'm LOVING McQ, this could well be my favourite plugin EQ. absolutely awesome sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Installed new "c" version - AU's stopped working in Peak and Wave Editor (worked in Waveburner)

Custom installed "b" AU - same problem

Full re-instal of "b" - AU's working again

Custom installed "c" RTAS - all seems well now

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➑️
would just like to say I'm LOVING McQ, this could well be my favourite plugin EQ. absolutely awesome sounding.
Its so cool......
Old 10th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➑️
for what types of uses/styles?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner ➑️
I just got an email from PSP:

We are pleased to announce an update of our PSP sQuad to version 1.5.1c
It is a crucial update for ProTools users only.
If you are using RTAS version of our plug-ins please update immediately to avoid past and future backward compatibility problems.
If you are using VST or AudioUnit version of our plug-ins you DON'T need to update.
VST and AudioUnit versions haven't been changed.

Please login to your account at PSP Registration Center to find download links and your authorization details.
https://www.pspaudioware.com/register/login.php

Warm regards from heavy snowing Warsaw
PSP Team

PSP sQuad version history 08.01.2010

PSP sQuad v.1.5.1c

Fixes:
All sQuad RTAS plug-ins. Backward compatibility to versions pre 1.5.x fixed.
This new version’s RTAS automation is not compatible to earlier 1.5.1 and any future versions.
Please update immediately.

Known problems:
odd GUI glitches under PT 7.4 (we are working on this problem)
Has anyone installed this ?

I was using v.1.5.1b happily yesterday...

Now I'm getting a:

! "Fatal Error" - An unknown executable could not be loaded.

message when I try and instantiate any EQ.

Tried to install twice now.

I'm on a mac pro 8/2.8, OSX 10.5.8 , PT LE 8.0.3

I'll drop PSP an email.

UPDATE: Gone back to V.1.5.1b and everything's fine again.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can confirm this!

Back to V.1.5.1b for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcomp ➑️
for what types of uses/styles?
I just used it on a lead vocal, it is warm, not really colored like the Classic/Neve, the high end is incredibly sweet. Adds a nice HiFi feel to a vocal. I will try it on other things soon. The Classic was magic on a clanky nasty midi bass track, and great on kick.
πŸ“ Reply