Vienna Imperial Piano... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vienna Imperial Piano...
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vienna Imperial Piano...

Look at this -

Sonic State - News WNAMM09: The Biggest Virtual Piano Ever?, Vienna Symphonic Library announce the Vienna Imperial

I just came across it. Needless to say, this is most definitely a different level of sample set. 1200 samples per note!? In any case, it certainly is ambitious...
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I look forward to hearing it!

-SD
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
geez, that would've been fun to record and compile.

These engineers that record sample libraries must have incredible patience (and substance abuse problems) .... It would send me psycho.

Stef
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak ➑️
geez, that would've been fun to record and compile.

These engineers that record sample libraries must have incredible patience (and substance abuse problems) .... It would send me psycho.

Stef
Imagine the editing!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Okay the next developer to make another drum, piano or string library gets shot!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
Okay the next developer to make another drum, piano or string library gets shot!
No! I can never have enough pianos or drum kits. String libraries, ok, I am with you on that one.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wouldn't hold my breath. It's way beyond the simple selling point - efficiency. Even if it sounds good, I'm not going to take the troubles just to get this piano up and running *smoothly*.

Recently I discovered an interesting fact - I seems to miss the good old JV or old classic ROMpler sound. I can't seems to find a good "cheapo sounding" (of today's standard) piano to fit into a busy track.

But in the end there's still demand for monster libraries, wish them a very good luck.heh
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
Look at this -

Sonic State - News WNAMM09: The Biggest Virtual Piano Ever?, Vienna Symphonic Library announce the Vienna Imperial

I just came across it. Needless to say, this is most definitely a different level of sample set. 1200 samples per note!? In any case, it certainly is ambitious...
I always wondered why VSL did not have a kick Ass Piano library - I mean the piano they have at the moment is pants.

Guess they knew that too and as always, are being as intensely meticulous in developing the new Imperial as they are with MIR and their other 'serious' libraries.

Hmm...

Interesting.
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1200 samples per note!? In any case, it certainly is ambitious...
And how many gigs will the library be? I can't even imagine. They really pushed it as far as possible with this product.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My guess is this is something they plan to market around their "Vienna Ensemble" setup, which essentially uses extra computers as nodes. Ensemble actually works really well- but one has to be pretty dedicated to their platform and sampling in general to be ready for such an enormous instrument in their setup.

With this many samples per note, even with disc streaming, this is a piano that would never keep up with a Debussy piece with current ram configurations, let alone Chopin!

However, everything that's out now as a Vienna Instrument is stunning. And yes, their recorders and editors do a tremendous job there.

(edit) Perhaps there is a "lite" version one can load when pulling up this gigantic piano.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
They'll probably allow numerous selections for the size of the instrument to accommodate various styles/performances. Not everyone will need that many layers and I'm sure for the largest performances, there will be sensible workarounds within Ensemble. I hope it works well, but we'll see...

-SD
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➑️
... I mean the piano they have at the moment is pants.
I know what you mean. It has a somewhat prestigious sound, but is far too limited IMO.
Perhaps they recognized the initial need for a piano to fit within the context of the other libraries.

That's one notable thing about the end result of all their efforts with the silent stage. Though, they did a fine job achieving transparency, there's still a unique coherency between the libraries that makes them fit together nicely.

-SD
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm surprised they didn't go for a "pianos" library, rather than just this one. I'm sure we'll see more from them and perhaps eventually a package, but despite the most certianly great sound from this instrument, I think perhaps their time would have been better spent on doing more than one- rather than 1,200 samples per note on a single piano.

I have a couple of Bosendorfers already that I'm pretty happy with.

However, who am I to judge! Vienna has really innovated in the field of sampling as far as I'm concerned with what they have been able to bring to market.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A bit about the sampling techniques from the article:

Quote:
Sustain pedal up
Sustain pedal down
Soft pedal (una corda) down
Repetition tones for sustain pedal down (hitting the sounding string)
Repetition tones for soft pedal down (hitting the sounding string)
Release samples in different lengths
Release samples in different lengths with the soft pedal down
Sympathetic resonance tones of individual keys (sustain pedal up)
Sympathetic resonance tones of the whole piano (sustain pedal down)

The release samples in different lengths at different velocities is likely what took them forever and added to the sheer number of samples.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The biggest, best, and probably most expensive ?

Judging from prices of other VSL offerings.... I'd be surprised if this thing comes out at under $ 1000 ! It would have to use disk streaming... since the sample set it so huge... If it can fit on a 30 gig SSD drive, I bet there would be no problems with playback.. (OCZ just came out with the vertex series... $ 129 bucks cheap !! ) I wonder if SSd technology, because of it's super fast access times, had anything to do with bringing this huge piano to market... ) I'm curious about what the minimum requirements will be..... hopefully, not a mac pro 8 core 3.2 ghz....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 ➑️
I have a couple of Bosendorfers already that I'm pretty happy with.
Gosh, talking 'bout gearslutz heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If they use real time decompression like Toontrack, they can probably get good performance with reasonable disk space.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone hear this piano at the show?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xist ➑️
Gosh, talking 'bout gearslutz heh
Not REAL ones, of course!! (:
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm so skeptical about all samples until I can actually play the damn thing and program with it. It is all very well saying Paul Badura Skoda demands a Bosendorfer, but he's not exactly nipping up on stage to play Rach 3 with a vienna sample....

Now it may be awesome, but there are Bosendorfers and there are Bosendorfers, and I'd consider Steinways to be the Rolls Royces of pianos, Bosendorfers are the Bentleys IMHO. I assume they found a decent one but you never, never know, and horses for courses...I have 26 full sampled pianos in my keyboards folder, and I use like three regularly, and I've switched very rarely...pianos can be recorded so many different ways and sound like completely different instruments. 1200 samples per note is irrelevant if the basic sound isn't awesome.

malmsjo acoustic grand was for so long the sole sound I ever heard in anybody's demos in the film world...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Imagine accidentally moving the mic mid-way through sampling.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by londontown ➑️
I'm so skeptical about all samples until I can actually play the damn thing and program with it. It is all very well saying Paul Badura Skoda demands a Bosendorfer, but he's not exactly nipping up on stage to play Rach 3 with a vienna sample....

Now it may be awesome, but there are Bosendorfers and there are Bosendorfers, and I'd consider Steinways to be the Rolls Royces of pianos, Bosendorfers are the Bentleys IMHO. I assume they found a decent one but you never, never know, and horses for courses...I have 26 full sampled pianos in my keyboards folder, and I use like three regularly, and I've switched very rarely...pianos can be recorded so many different ways and sound like completely different instruments. 1200 samples per note is irrelevant if the basic sound isn't awesome.

malmsjo acoustic grand was for so long the sole sound I ever heard in anybody's demos in the film world...
I personally like the sound of a Bosendorfer over a Steinway anyday.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just heard from Paul at Vienna -

"the Vienna Imperial will run on every modern machine, the engine is pretty powerful :-) The content will take only 60 GB on your machine (uncompressed, thatΒ΄s around 600 GB!!) More details will be published as soon as we get ready for release!"

a 10 to 1 realtime decompression algorithm - that's sick.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just heard from Paul at Vienna -

"the Vienna Imperial will run on every modern machine, the engine is pretty powerful :-) The content will take only 60 GB on your machine (uncompressed, thatΒ΄s around 600 GB!!) More details will be published as soon as we get ready for release!"

a 10 to 1 realtime decompression algorithm - that's sick.

Um.... wow.

Those boys in the Vienna lab are pretty amazing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by londontown ➑️

Yes but the sound of that was so distinctive ...and limited, very atmospheric and darkly characterful and melancholic - but quite restricted none the less.

I agree that the sound of a piano has to be excellent, but with these new heavyweight libraries they are going for the most accurate and realistic experience they can.

I love the sound of the Bosendorfer pianos - powerful sweet and warm, especially the higher octaves. I prefer them to the Steinway generally which sounds more precise and clinical to me. Bosendorfer's are a particular sound to of course so it would be better to have a great Steinway and Yamaha too. EWQL have a really nice set out now which is another library I have on my shopping list.

Looking forward very very much to the new VSL Imperial though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben J ➑️
Imagine accidentally moving the mic mid-way through sampling.
a head is roling....
theother
Quote:
I personally like the sound of a Bosendorfer over a Steinway anyday.
same here.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
No. We need more and better string and drum libraries! Pianos... meh.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone heard this yet? Maybe someone that went to NAMM or a beta tester perhaps?

It said shipping in March but haven't seen any updates lately.
πŸ“ Reply