Quantcast
Vienna Imperial Piano... - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vienna Imperial Piano...
Old 28th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Spent an hour with our resident keyboard virtuoso, and it completely blew me away. There wasn't a single inconsistency I heard between velocities/notes, and the expressiveness of the different perspectives are pretty diverse - all 3 really sounded amazing in their own way. At this point, I can't see using anything else. Now I hope they will do some other pianos with the same method and technology....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
Spent an hour with our resident keyboard virtuoso, and it completely blew me away.
Are the samples bone dry, like VSL's other instruments? I'd love to hear some short examples of it going though some different presents in your new Bricasti !!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Spent an hour with our resident keyboard virtuoso, and it completely blew me away. There wasn't a single inconsistency I heard between velocities/notes, and the expressiveness of the different perspectives are pretty diverse - all 3 really sounded amazing in their own way. At this point, I can't see using anything else. Now I hope they will do some other pianos with the same method and technology....
I know this can be an annoying request but I'd love to hear something if you're so inclined. VSL has a lot of classical pieces to hear on their site but no contemporary/modern music. Each demo so far is just more of the same style.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
I know this can be an annoying request but I'd love to hear something if you're so inclined. VSL has a lot of classical pieces to hear on their site but no contemporary/modern music. Each demo so far is just more of the same style.
+100!

I'll use it for classical, but the large majority of work I do is non-classical.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No problem, I will do something tonight and put it up.
Old 29th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No problem, I will do something tonight and put it up.
Awesome. Thanks Scott.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So here are some 24 bit .wav files of a few minutes of noodling - 3 files, one with each perspective. I turned the built-in convolution off (which actually sounds pretty damn good) in favor of the Vienna Hall preset on the Bricasti M7. Played some dynamic stuff to kind of show off what can be done. Enjoy it!

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So here are some 24 bit .wav files of a few minutes of noodling - 3 files, one with each perspective. I turned the built-in convolution off (which actually sounds pretty damn good) in favor of the Vienna Hall preset on the Bricasti M7. Played some dynamic stuff to kind of show off what can be done. Enjoy it!

Holy ****! Sounded much better than I expected!

Ima starting to save money...Sad...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Thanks so much Scott for doing this. I think my favorite is player perspective.

By the way, is there any EQ (either external or within their player) added?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Back in 1999 I bought "Grand Gold Pianos" for my EMU sampler. Hold on: 128 MB of a Steinway. That was CRAZY! It used up a fully loaded EMU4XT!

The price was somewhere about the same as the price of this new VSL piano... No, I don't think the Imperial is overpriced... well, just got carried away by reading peoples thoughts about the price tag.. and yes, I know, my first mac (performa 6300) was more expensive than my Mac Pro, etc etc... just rambling...

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

thumbsup great stuff, i don't think i've ever heard such a good sampled piano. close and players perspective sound both great in their own way. not sure what you'd use the distant on?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Scott! The VSL demos didn't tell much about this piano in a pop environment, but yours do. I think they sound great. It would be hard to return to Ivory after this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

No eq or processing at all other than the Bricasti. We really slammed it last night, playing all kinds of over the top passages with TONS of sustained notes, arpeggios, etc. - only got note dropouts once at 128 samples. Unreal how well the engine does what it does, especially knowing it is decompressing at a 10 to 1 ratio real time. Those Vienna guys sure know their ****! The player is probably my favorite, just by a bit. The close would be very useful in a pop mix, and the distant would obviously be cool for classical, or a roomy solo piano song. I think it is worth every penny, and will most likely be the only/goto sample set for me in the coming months. Let's just hope they do some other pianos with the CEUS technology.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Let's just hope they do some other pianos with the CEUS technology.
indeed!
Old 30th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Steinway next please.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
Steinway next please.
+ 1 I think the realism of this Vienna Grand is incredible, but there's a certain midrange honkiness that makes it not quite get there for me. I'm looking forward to the release of "Alicia's Keys" which in my opinion sounds much more contemporary and will fit much better into a pop mix. But, it's all subjective. I'm sure some would think just the opposite!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So here are some 24 bit .wav files of a few minutes of noodling -
Thanks for taking the time to put that togeather.
It's really breath taking in my opinion, fantastic! I wasn't expecting it to be that good. Having a real acoustic piano for anything other than classical may now be useless. And the Briscasti really makes it shine! Like so many say about the M7, it's not an effect - it's part of the sound!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➑️
Thanks for taking the time to put that togeather.
It's really breath taking in my opinion, fantastic! I wasn't expecting it to be that good. Having a real acoustic piano for anything other than classical may now be useless. And the Briscasti really makes it shine! Like so many say about the M7, it's not an effect - it's part of the sound!!
No problem! The M7 really does blend so seamlessly into the source sound, I have to drop it out in order to really hear what it is doing - an awesome unit. Coupled with this piano set, it is really a great combination.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Any chance we could hear one of those samples with the built-in reverb?
πŸ“ Reply