Quantcast
Vienna Imperial Piano... - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vienna Imperial Piano...
Old 30th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It's hard to tell for sure from the MP3 but it seems that they may have finally captured the weight and power of a real piano, especially when you dig in. It's something that's missing from ALL the other libraries.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is an interaction between the notes/chords that sounds great. The dynamics are also really nice. Looking forward to a release date and price...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice that they included a mid file in the zip, so we can compare different sampled instruments. Here is the Synthogy Ivory, I chose the standard Bosendorf Imperial 10 and didn't make any adjustments. It's mp3, 256Kb.

Personally I prefer Ivory but I would like to hear a dry Imperial.

Link:
http://www.ewaldkegel.com/audio/ivory.mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi ➑️

Link:
Thanks for the link! I don't thing that the tempos got imported in your example. The Ivory does sound very good (sooo much betty than my poor Acoustik Piano ), but the lack of "enough" dynamic variations is apparent to me in a few spots.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➑️
Thanks for the link! I don't thing that the tempos got imported in your example. The Ivory does sound very good (sooo much betty than my poor Acoustik Piano ), but the lack of "enough" dynamic variations is apparent to me in a few spots.
ivory has a very beautiful round tone, fuller and nicer than the vienna. but the dynamics are so much better on the vienna. ivory sounds stiff compared to it. can we have a combination of both pleeeeease
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no comparison IMO. The soft velocity notes just sound like louder velocity with volume down. The tone doesn't hardly change as the dynamics do.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nice that they included a mid file in the zip, so we can compare different sampled instruments. Here is the Synthogy Ivory, I chose the standard Bosendorf Imperial 10 and didn't make any adjustments. It's mp3, 256Kb.

Link:
I'm sorry but the Vienna Smokes that Ivory - in every way. The Ivory sounds clunky and robotic, lacking personality and the subtle hues revealed in the Vienna Imperial.
Old 5th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Two New Demos

They are the first two on this page.

Still looking forward to hearing additional closer perspective/more contemporary demos.

Vienna Symphonic Library
Old 6th June 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➑️
I'm sorry but the Vienna Smokes that Ivory - in every way. The Ivory sounds clunky and robotic, lacking personality and the subtle hues revealed in the Vienna Imperial.
So you are speculating on a product that is not available ...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass ➑️
The demos exist. It's quite easy to compare them to Ivory demos. It's the closest we can get to Vienna at this point. I see no problem with speculation, as long as you realize it's speculation.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass ➑️
No - I heard the example files posted and made a judgement against the sound of the Imperial from the demo on the VSL site.

The Ivory sounded clunky and stilted in comparison - no doubt due to its lack of properly graded dynamic velocity layers, and samples per note...

I have recently been auditioning Akoustik Piano (10 velocity layers) against my old PMI Bosendorfer set (16 velocity layers).

You just cannot play subtle, soft quiet passages with the Akoustik - the PMI has the ability to offer more dynamic range.

Cannot wait to properly hear the VSL Imperial - have to save for that though.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➑️
The Ivory sounded clunky and stilted in comparison - no doubt due to its lack of properly graded dynamic velocity layers, and samples per note...
As an Ivory owner I'd have to disagree with this theory. Depending on your controller, the velocity layers feel rather natural when playing, and (if memory serves) there are many samples per note. It seems to me that you prefer the sound of the recording of Vienna's piano to Ivory's, not necessarily the programming of the samples.
Old 9th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now Shipping!

Who's crazy enough to take the plunge???

VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY > COMPANY > NEWSΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  > Product News
Old 10th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
I will - gonna order it from my GC guy later this week.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Later this week.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
I will - gonna order it from my GC guy later this week.
Awesome Guys, looking forward to hearing feedback.

Did either of you have a chance to check out Scarbee's Alicia's Keys piano demos yet? I'm pretty impressed so far with what I've heard.

Last edited by Football; 10th June 2009 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: Missed a post
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I am impressed with the sound, and being a VSL customer for years I know they have great quality and support.
Tell me out of all of these pedalling variations and multiple releases that it has just a single layer sostenuto pedal and I will buy it.
From reading the features I see no mention of a sostenuto.
I love the sound, just tell me it has a sos.........my dreams might finally be answered.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE ➑️
From reading the features I see no mention of a sostenuto.
I love the sound, just tell me it has a sos.........my dreams might finally be answered.
I'm not sure if it's possible to "sample" the sostenuto pedal. It's all depends on the keys depressed before the pedal and what is played after. There isn't really "a" sost sample, but rather an infinity of sost pedal possiblities. That being said, it has happened 1 or 2 times in my life to be proven wrong
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have PTeq 3.0 which has the extra harmonic pedal and it has sostenuto, and it does work very well, and the sound is O.K.
I am looking for one these gigantic ChiggaByte developers who already have the sound issues covered to do it.
I will be deleting all of the mic placements and IR's anyway. It's just these engineers are great at capturing the basic samples, but always forget the middle pedal.....It is our third hand during live solo performing.
For Jazz Trio or basic Pop it isn't an issue. But solo work, especially Orleans Barrelhouse, ragtime, low droning Blues Ballads, etc. It's our Bass clef drone when not walking.
I know a sequencer can take advantage of the 16 layers that our controllers currently can't access consistently, and I suppose the MIDI editor could be our sos, but Jeez after 20 years you'd think we'd have it.
I guess maybe a famous Pianist will have a developer make an instrument someday and demand it.
Bring back Victor Borge or Artur Rubenstein.....heh
Old 11th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE ➑️
I have PTeq 3.0 which has the extra harmonic pedal and it has sostenuto, and it does work very well, and the sound is O.K.
Old 11th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just read about sostenuto support for the Scarbee/Alicia Keys endeavor...

I guess it does take a live performer demanding it.
I still love VSL for making such excellent instruments and making my live sound such a pleasure to use.

I am a little apprehensive until I actually hear this work though.
Garritans " Aurhorized " Steinway made the same claim and then released it w/o the pedal. Perhaps it wasn't really authorized........?
Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Link:
No comparison in my ears... the Ivory (which I have and like) sounds unnatural. The extra velocities really make the difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
Awesome Guys, looking forward to hearing feedback.

Did either of you have a chance to check out Scarbee's Alicia's Keys piano demos yet? I'm pretty impressed so far with what I've heard.

Heard it briefly - sounded decent, but I wasn't able to listen critically. At this point I own so many piano libraries I could've bought a U5. But the overall scope of the Imperial definitely gives me hope that it could be the last one I buy......until they do the same with a Steinway.....and a Bechstein.....heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
Heard it briefly - sounded decent, but I wasn't able to listen critically. At this point I own so many piano libraries I could've bought a U5. But the overall scope of the Imperial definitely gives me hope that it could be the last one I buy......until they do the same with a Steinway.....and a Bechstein.....heh
And a Steingraber!!!! ha

I actually wish they would've done a steinway. To me, the Bose has a bit of weirdness/honkiness in the midrange that makes it less appealing. Great for classical work, not so great for pop, or even film score work. But, this new library still sounds brilliant and very realistic.
Old 13th June 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
$750 street it better sound good,,,
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Has anyone picked it up yet? I love the sounds of the demos on the site but man is the price steep.
Old 19th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine is shipping out to me next Tuesday, should have it by the end of the week and will definitely post some thoughts.
Old 20th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I would have paid $400-$500. I'll keep Ivory...thumbsup
Old 28th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got mine today - had about 30 minutes with it earlier. All I can say so far is - holy ****! BLOWS away anything I have heard. The samples are so quiet it is insane - had 80 notes sustained, and the noise of them all added up to - get this - none. The hiss/noise difference between all the sustained notes and a single note is as close to zero as I would conceive of needing. This thing is most definitely sick - I will have my resident pianist put it through it's paces later tonight as piano is not my forte. So far, looks like this will be the new go-to library. And sending it out through our new M7, with my eyes closed, it sounds amazingly close to the real thing. Loads very quickly too, considering the size of the set, and the overall performance of the engine is very efficient - no hiccups at all at 128 samples.
Old 28th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Wow. That's great the hear. I'd been a little hesitant about this.
πŸ“ Reply