Quantcast
Vienna Imperial Piano... - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vienna Imperial Piano...
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
  #91
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wow, it does sound beautiful. I really like the nuance and balance of the overtones. If the price is right, I'll buy it (as long as it doesn't have any major glitches) Thanks football for the demo and pictures.


-SD
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #92
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
For sampled piano, it sounded really nice.

However, still not even remotely close to what I'd like to hear from something like this.

http://www.apianist.com/intermezzo.mp3

Which the clip posted in this thread, it's also a bosendorfer.

https://gearspace.com/board/remote-p...me-listen.html
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #93
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Not being a piano expert (by a looong shot), how would you say it compares to the Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer? Given the price is about 2/3 less.

Bardstown Audio Sample Libraries
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #94
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigcat ➑️
For sampled piano, it sounded really nice.

However, still not even remotely close to what I'd like to hear from something like this.

http://www.apianist.com/intermezzo.mp3

Which the clip posted in this thread, it's also a bosendorfer.

https://gearspace.com/board/remote-p...me-listen.html
Hi pigcat!

I agree with you, and I'll add the obvious notion that your clip also reveals the importance of the ambience. I wonder what VIP will sound like through MIR..?


-SD
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #95
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
It's definitely subjective..... to me, pigcat, the Bosendorfer in the recording you linked to sounds out of tune and clunky. I would not be interested if Vienna's piano sounded like that. Yes, it sounds real, but to me it sounds real bad.

The Bardstown Bos. also has that clunky quality in my opinion. And, it sounds phony and sampled to me. The Vienna piano sounds neither clunky nor phony. That is why I'm so anxious to get my hands on it.

To each, his own.

j
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #96
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
It's at the duplicators so we must be fairly close.
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #97
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
Hi pigcat!

I agree with you, and I'll add the obvious notion that your clip also reveals the importance of the ambience. I wonder what VIP will sound like through MIR..?


-SD
Hey there buddy, it's been a while since our last conversations!

I doubt VIP will be able to enhance by adding the MIR, just not looking forward to it.

There're many piano libraries overlooked 1 very very simple thing - the soul that it produce. Sometime, "perfect" (how perfect is perfect??) pianos sounded too...um...perfect. They sounded cold.

The clip I posted, yes, sounded clunky, out of tune, noisy, whatever. But it's got something that's above all - a soul. I can listen to that clunky out of tune piano track all day long and will enjoy every bit of it.

At the mean time, it's enjoyable to play the USB Steinway D, it's got the soul and ambience in it without smearing the core of the piano sound, and it's uber cheap to buy. Perhaps more demo of VIP could change my thinking.
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
  #98
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigcat ➑️
Hey there buddy, it's been a while since our last conversations!

I doubt VIP will be able to enhance by adding the MIR, just not looking forward to it.

There're many piano libraries overlooked 1 very very simple thing - the soul that it produce. Sometime, "perfect" (how perfect is perfect??) pianos sounded too...um...perfect. They sounded cold...
I know what you mean, and that's why I have almost every piano lib in existence because not only am I always trying to find one that speaks to me, but of course there's this huge spectrum of style which I have to cover. Sometimes I need a more perfect sound and sometimes I don't.

From what i've heard so far, I do think this new Vienna Imperial has a sound and prestige which is unique. I like the idea of MIR because for a number of years I had actually been developing personal techniques to replicate a soundstage, much in the way that MIR appears to do at the root level. IMO if MIR delivers results that are at least as pleasing as what I was able to achieve (I expect it will surpass my efforts), it will benefit piano guys too. I do primarily hope to use it for Orchestral work. I guess we'll see... lets hope neither one of these break the bank.



-SD
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
  #99
Here for the gear
 
Dpcon's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
I know what you mean, and that's why I have almost every piano lib in existence because not only am I always trying to find one that speaks to me,
What are your favorites? I only have Acoustic Piano which is nice but what would you say is most realistic for a classical sound?
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
  #100
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcon ➑️
What are your favorites? I only have Acoustic Piano which is nice but what would you say is most realistic for a classical sound?
Garritan Steinway is great for classical, EW Pianos also.
Old 17th May 2009 | Show parent
  #101
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcon ➑️
What are your favorites? I only have Acoustic Piano which is nice but what would you say is most realistic for a classical sound?

Hi, sent you a pm to avoid this thread loosing its focus on the VSL.



-SD
Old 24th May 2009 | Show parent
  #102
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Looks like VSL is taking orders

Vienna Symphonic Library

Just got an email from VSL. Going to have to be amazingly impressed to fork over the $875 for this. AMAZINGLY.

Really does need to be a pretty massive step up or it's just not going to happen. Way to big a chunk of change for me otherwise. At that price I start thinking of a nice mic pre (Daking for instance) or something like that.

By the way, I'm not seeing any new demos on that linked page.
Old 24th May 2009 | Show parent
  #103
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
Vienna Symphonic Library

Just got an email from VSL. Going to have to be amazingly impressed to fork over the $875 for this. AMAZINGLY.

Really does need to be a pretty massive step up or it's just not going to happen. Way to big a chunk of change for me otherwise. At that price I start thinking of a nice mic pre (Daking for instance) or something like that.

By the way, I'm not seeing any new demos on that linked page.
Yes Β£575 is a lot of money...

I need to hear more demo's before I would consider dropping that kind of change, and I was not convinced from the first demo example piece posted.

100 velocity layers has got me very, very interested because it's the dynamic subtlety that really makes a difference for the solo piano stuff. This piano would not be neccessary for pop/rock/r&b because the subtlety would be wasted.

Think I may wait a while to see how it fares with the more hard nosed sample piano afficianados...
Old 24th May 2009 | Show parent
  #104
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
gotta hear more.... until then...??????
Old 25th May 2009 | Show parent
  #105
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I Totally agree...

For that much money, I think I want to demo it by actually playing it! Which is kinda difficult with sample libraries.

I guess if I hear more audio clips I like, and it is received well by other buyers, I may consider it. When I think of how much I've spent on all my other libraries, there's a possibility that this could be a reasonable investment if it truly is groundbreaking and flexible. But it's going to have to be very impressive.


-SD
Old 25th May 2009 | Show parent
  #106
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
For that much money, I think I want to demo it by actually playing it! Which is kinda difficult with sample libraries.
Yup, demos usually will just pick something that'll sound best with the library. Very often demos are convincing and end up frustration when trying to get the playability right, working with bugs, trying to get the monster running by allowing more hdd streaming/RAM headrooms etc.
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
the latest from Vienna's forum:

We have a first great demo by Jay Bacal which I will set online tomorrow.
And if everything works smooth with replication we could start shipping in ca. 2 weeks.

best
Herb
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
  #108
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman ➑️
the latest from Vienna's forum:

We have a first great demo by Jay Bacal which I will set online tomorrow.
And if everything works smooth with replication we could start shipping in ca. 2 weeks.

best
Herb
Thanks Herb for the heads up


-SD
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #109
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Hi,

here's a new demo of the Vienna Imperial.

Player2

TneruaL
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #110
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Wow, that sounds sick. Looks like a new addition to the software arsenal!
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #111
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yeah that's pretty sweet !

Last edited by jamwerks; 29th May 2009 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: spelling (as always)
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #112
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo ➑️
Hi,

here's a new demo of the Vienna Imperial.

Player2

TneruaL

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

Now I am going to have to buy this thing.

Have some pity on my wallet,


VSL


Please!
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #113
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Don't love it so far, for me though I really need to hear a sound with lots less ambience.
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #114
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I hear what you mean about the ambience - but so well done...

I will get this piano anyhoo - 'cos I think it will sound great dry too now.
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #115
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
Don't love it so far, for me though I really need to hear a sound with lots less ambience.
To really get an idea of the true sonic quality, we do need to hear some stuff with different ambiences. If I'm not mistaken, there are 3 different mic positions included for all samples (this would be a first in VSL production, as usually only a "dry" sample is given, thus the importance of the quality of the reverb when using VSL).

I think this instument is really going to be outstanding. Should be gettable for 499€ (w/o tax)
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #116
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
you guys need to go back to the demo, open it and then click on "download tutorial". I asked Herb to upload a rendering with the "close" perspective and he did. To me, it sounds 10x as good for my application. Probably the most realistic I've ever heard. I agree with some of you that the current posting has too much ambience.... at least for what I do. But, do yourself a favor and listen to the mp3 with the "close" perspective. May change your perspective

Forgot to add.... clicking on "download tutorial" will automatically download the mp3.

Last edited by jayman; 29th May 2009 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: additional info.
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #117
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
and to make it easy for those coming late to the party:

This will take you right to the demo: Vienna Symphonic Library

Then click "download tutorial" for the "close" perspective.
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #118
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Ah, nice to hear it without.
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #119
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman ➑️
and to make it easy for those coming late to the party:

This will take you right to the demo: Vienna Symphonic Library

Then click "download tutorial" for the "close" perspective.
Scary good.


Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
  #120
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the links jayman. It sounds really good. I didn't like the ambience on the more distant demo. I wasn't sure why. Not that it sounded bad, but it seemed a little hazy. It could have been a result of file compression or maybe an IR used. Does anyone know if that was the natural sound captured or did they add reverb?

The close demo is certainly more revealing of the quality of this library. It's very smooth, and it sounds like it's taken the top spot in fluidity of dynamics. I'm still not sure it's worth the price except for those who are truly needing a piano for solo work. This is one of those situations where the niche starts to become more of a factor.


-SD
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 79 views: 33231
Avatar for rids
rids 1st July 2009
replies: 10 views: 6703
Avatar for ddeforge
ddeforge 9th October 2016
replies: 256 views: 66224
Avatar for Vijay_the_dude
Vijay_the_dude 6th November 2012
replies: 65 views: 9858
Avatar for RonaldDumsfeld
RonaldDumsfeld 26th March 2010
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump