Quantcast
Vienna Imperial Piano... - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vienna Imperial Piano...
Old 8th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am much happier to get a well sampled Bosendorfer then steinway, I can't wait for this product (although my grand piano might feel a little sad)
Old 9th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I prefer Bosies over Steinways by a long shot.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I don't think the Bosendorfer crowd is as small as some believe.

It's an extremely expensive piano and not many people are fortunate enough to own one. It's a bit tougher to be a hardcore fan with this hurdle.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Piano is sort of the final frontier for samples: the ultimate test. Don't get me wrong, I use VSL exclusively and think it's the best company out there in the sampling world. I love the insanity of how they're doing the Bosendorfer because it is indeed a very scientific approach. I would love it if it's just a stunning product. Being a piano player and having played everything out there I am just a Steinway guy. I own a 1996 Yamaha C7 (7' 6") which was the year they copied certain features of the Steinway very closely and so it sounds great. I would have preferred {say} a 1930's vintage Steinway but didn't have the money when a dandy was available.
Someone would have to convince me that 90% of classical recordings aren't made with those incredible pianos still today.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All these different brands have of course their own sound. I have the impression that VSL choose a Bosi because the sound of a Steinway wouldn't satisfy some (the majority) who do pop and jazz.

VSL wouldn't have continued and finished this project if the results weren't amazing. We'll soon find out...........

Last edited by jamwerks; 9th April 2009 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: SP
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Not so sure about that since Steinway defined the sound of Pop and Jazz for half a century or more. Virtually every single Blue Note recording done in their studio is on a Steinway as well as every single Capitol in theirs.

Bosendorfer is a very bright, bell-tone sounding instrument. So if you had a great sounding one and it was sampled in an amazing way there probably isn't a keyboard player working in midi who wouldn't want it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcon ➡️
...if you had a great sounding one and it was sampled in an amazing way there probably isn't a keyboard player working in midi who wouldn't want it.
I think that's what Vienna was striving for. It's certainly what I'm hoping for in V.I.P. I like Ivory and some of the other top contenders, but there's still room for improvement, very much when recording piano solos.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I think that's what Vienna was striving for. It's certainly what I'm hoping for in V.I.P. I like Ivory and some of the other top contenders, but there's still room for improvement, very much when recording piano solos.
I agree. As much as certain VI's sound correct, when you play them you are very aware of the lack of incremental parameters in velocity, envelope and whatever. Plus the sound isn't quite there yet due to those very things. VSL may finally make the breakthrough into a real authentic representation of what a piano really does.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcon ➡️
VSL may finally make the breakthrough into a real authentic representation of what a piano really does.
I sure hope so. What they did with orchestral libraries has changed the way I work. Done carefully, you could fool the conductor with their libraries.
Old 11th April 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I got the chance for a quick check in Frankfurt. They´ve got a big black sample station looking like a realistic piano with a monitor on top of it. The integrated keyboard feels like the one on a real mid-class piano.

Usability: Superior! The user interface is great. Many options but easy to use. The included features, especially the mic positions and reverb options are second to none.

The sound: I´ve only checked it over the connected phones with some quick improvisations. It wasn´t possible to dive into all options and sounds but enough for some short and simple test. Very clean, brilliant and one of the best realistic piano simulations I´ve heard so far. Every single key sounds damn good. Full, voluminous, with realistic nuances and selectable listening positions. Perfect for shiny melody lines in pop/rock arrangements or for a simulation of a distant concert performance. With expressive MIDI expert tweaking it should be possible, to emulate the real perfomance of a high-class player.

The individual quality of each key results in a queasy sound if you press a lot of them at the same time, especially bigger accords in the lower register. Maybe needs a lot of sound and MIDI tweaking with a better monitoring situation.

All in all: The biggest and most ambitious piano simulation. The Rolls Royce with all pros and cons for all needing more than a smaller but easy to use and park BMW or Audi. Needs probably a very good keyboard and a MIDI expert to drive it to the max. Worth a closer check in my studio.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, any idea of retail on this?...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhansi ➡️
The individual quality of each key results in a queasy sound if you press a lot of them at the same time, especially bigger accords in the lower register.
that doesn't sound like a good thing
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➡️
Thanks, any idea of retail on this?...
Around $900 I was told by someone at Vienna.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➡️
Hmm...

It better be mindblowing for that kinda change.
Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ouch, I thought it was in the $300 range.

$900 for one piano... I would agree, it had better be outrageously good.
Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
$900 may be list price. Still, that's a lot, it needs to be great.
Old 19th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Considering this virtual piano costs $900, and has 1,200 samples per key and 100 velocity layers - it probably comes bundled with it's own hard drive?...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➡️
Considering this virtual piano costs $900, and has 1,200 samples per key and 100 velocity layers - it probably comes bundled with it's own hard drive?...
Seriously doubt it. It will be around 60GB I was told and will run well on any modern computer, so I can't see any reason why it would come on it's own drive.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Seriously doubt it. It will be around 60GB I was told and will run well on any modern computer, so I can't see any reason why it would come on it's own drive.
Only 60GB, great (was afraid it might be a monster size), although it will probably be a cpu beast - I am very much looking forward to hearing it - still it would have to join a long queue of things to buy though.
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MP3 Demo

http://vsl.co.at/users/111/1st_demo_ViennaImperial.mp3

Last edited by Football; 1st May 2009 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Added Pictures
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The sustain and "pedal down" sound fantastic. The loud notes sound a bit compressed though. It may be the demo however. These demos should have no EQ, comp or mastering to be able to really judge.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, not bad!

lovin' the way the piano runs sound so fluid and natural - not in that weird midi way you normally get with some piano sample libraries. great clarity and musicaly accurate sounding top notes too.

Need to have a closer listen to this piano...

Price still a bit steep though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting thus far but seems to maybe sound a touch cloudy at times (especially that louder trill in the middle section). Maybe the sympathetic resonance is getting weird?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, is it actually available yet? I can't find it anywhere on their website. Wonder if this is just a pre-release demo....???
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman ➡️
So, is it actually available yet? I can't find it anywhere on their website. Wonder if this is just a pre-release demo....???
No, it's not available yet.

Here is the thread on the VSL website:

Vienna Imperial - VSL Community
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Okay, thanks.... do we know for sure that it's going to cost $1,000?

It sounds amazing.... if I'm being very critical, some of the very soft notes sound slightly out of tune; sounds like the soft pedal was enabled and the unisons are slightly out. But, that's definitely nit-picking. It doesn't have that harsh, clanky sort of sound that some of the other sampled Bosendorfer's have. A very nice, usable tone IMO. I'll probably be handing over the cash for this whatever the price is.

Thanks for the link to the Vienna thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➡️
...maybe sound a touch cloudy at times (especially that louder trill in the middle section)
Yes exactly, that is what I initially noticed!

But I thought that on closer inspection the midrange could be tweaked to show more definition and bite.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sweet! They need to release this already...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sweet! They need to release this already...
Yes, that MP3 is a helluva tease.
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any more news on this? I wish they would release it! I need/want it.
📝 Reply