Quantcast
Vienna Imperial Piano... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vienna Imperial Piano...
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haven't heard it - still waiting to hear it. I doubt they will actually ship this month if there aren't even any samples up.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
TC5
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Sympathetic resonance tones of individual keys (sustain pedal up)"

I wonder if they sampled every possible combination of individual key's sympathetic resonances... Mind boggling! That's the last element that's missing from most libraries. I guess it takes 1200 samples to include all those... Maybe that's where convolution could be the better option...
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This to me is insane. I think the word that comes to mind is overkill, but maybe I should listen to it b4 I criticize...
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSummer ➑️
This to me is insane. I think the word that comes to mind is overkill, but maybe I should listen to it b4 I criticize...
I think a few would have said that about the original VSL libraries...doh!

Those guys know what they are doing - I am very, very interested in hearing this new piano - if it competes with the Ginormous EWQL set I may well buy it instead, I just happen to like Bosendorfers very much.
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have two emails into them over the last few weeks and haven't heard a peep back.

Awfully silent over there if it still was coming out in March.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSummer ➑️
There's still no sampled piano that pulls off a real acoustic piano perfectly. I was reminded of that a few days ago when replacing an Ivory track with a real Yamaha 9-foot grand. Ivory sounded nice - the real-deal murdered it. There's just something about the complexity and interactivity of all the components of a piano that's very difficult to capture. That soundboard resonating is crucial, and seemingly impossible to sample in all of its key combinations. Maybe they've incorporated this somehow. If anyone can do it, they're it. VSL still impresses the piss out of me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They changed their site from "shipping in March" to "shipping in Spring". Looks like we have a bit of a wait ahead of us...
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Oh well... I think it will be worth the wait. What is proving to be the most painful for me is waiting for MIR.

-SD
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm glad developers keep trying.
Sometimes I wonder if Steinway or Bosendorfer are the real owners of these Go For Your Own developers. Pricing will get so high it might cause perspective buyers to stop dumping thousands in software and actually buy something that will never be obsolete....a real Piano.
If I could hear any justifiaction in sound quality I would buy some of these great attempts at emulation but since a sequencer curve needs to be drawn to access the various layers I will continue making coin off of my " old " outdated instruments.
I recently purchased a great sounding Piano that actually emulated a real Piano with una corde and sostenuto pedal......imagine that.
I can play it on a laptop too.
Someday someone might make a controller using the never spoken of 16,000 points of MIDI 2 spec. #88 so a performer can access some of these layers, instead having to have yet another app just to play and automate a performance.
I do applaud their efforts but will let others pay for the BETA testing and wait for maturity and price drops that usually follow after guys spend a year trying to get it to work on their OctoQuad 32GB RAM machines.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
You're assuming they've failed before they've even released it? No, I think this one seems quite different from ANY past piano libraries.

I doubt that piano manufacturers are happy about this - they're certainly not behind any element of it. It won't convince studio cats to buy more acoustic grands. The opposite, I'd guess. In fact, I've been considering selling my grand at home in lieu of a MIDI system mounted in the hammer-less body of a grand, and maybe Vienna Imperial would be the engine I'd use. If it's good enough, and pianists start to accept it, I could see studios auctioning off their grand pianos.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you take mic'ing posibilities, and different touch from different players even on the very same piano, good piano offer not just good dynamics - you can do different tones on it, not to mention the wonders happened within the soundbox, you'll immediately appreciate the real thing over samples, anytime.

I'd say, this piano might turned out to be the best in the market, but I doubt it'll replace the real thing.

Plus, I don't like the way Vienna stuffs recorded, so I'm not excited for this. But what do I know...
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thought this was out already but it's not.

Still looking forward to hearing this.

Last edited by Football; 25th March 2009 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: screwed up
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IN Stock?

Got it all wrong

Last edited by Football; 25th March 2009 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If VSL got it on Frankfurt Messe next week, IΒ΄ll try it and post a comment.
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhansi ➑️
Please do! I'm watching this one like a hawk - will probably buy the 1st day it's released.
Old 1st April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhansi ➑️
Hi Gearhansi, just piping back in to check on this. If you get to hear it please let us know what you think.

By the way, they are in Booth A 76 in Hall 5.1

Last edited by Football; 1st April 2009 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 3rd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the name of all things holy, someone please check on this thing and report back... better yet it would be great if the same people doing SSL videos do one on this (Sound on Sound maybe it is?).
Old 6th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone?

Hello in there... did anyone get a chance to check this piano out?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just listened to the demos on the VSL site:

VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY > DEMO ZONE > Vienna Instruments > Bosendorfer Imperial

Hmm...

I don't think so. 54gb or no 54gb, most of the demos which are programmed, suck very, very hard...indeed.

Dodgy mixing, too much verb - no warmth no vibe.

think I'll pass.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➑️

VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY > DEMO ZONE > Vienna Instruments > Bosendorfer Imperial

Hmm...

I don't think so. 54gb or no 54gb, most of the demos which are programmed, suck very, very hard...indeed.

think I'll pass.
I don't think that is the new Vienna Imperial, isn't the Bosendorfer Imperial an older sample set?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➑️

Hmm...

think I'll pass.
Yup, confusing what's what but I do not believe that is the new instrument you heard. The new one is called "Vienna Imperial", I believe you listened to their old virtual piano (I did the same thing). I don't think any demos of the new one even exist yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
I don't think that is the new Vienna Imperial, isn't the Bosendorfer Imperial an older sample set?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
Yup, confusing what's what but I do not believe that is the new instrument you heard. The new one is called "Vienna Imperial", I believe you listened to their old virtual piano (I did the same thing). I don't think any demos of the new one even exist yet.

Doh!

Yep my bad - did not really check. Let's hope they can get some demos' up soon - let's hear the new beast.
Old 7th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Did anyone hear this at last week's show???
Old 8th April 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Most pianists (Classical and Jazz) prefer Steinway. That's probably why the recording ratio between Steinway and Bosendorfer hovers at around 100 to 0 (give or take.) Nonetheless Bosendorfer does have it's own unique sound and it would be nice to have a sampled piano that truly behaves like a real one. Nothing like that out there yet so maybe VSL has changed that reality.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcon ➑️
Most pianists (Classical and Jazz) prefer Steinway. That's probably why the recording ratio between Steinway and Bosendorfer hovers at around 100 to 0 (give or take.)
I'd love to see a poll about this. Of the few classical pianists I've talked to about piano preferences, the balance was heavier towards Bosendorfers. Jazz is a different story, although a Bosie can be great for jazz as well.

I've seen many documentaries where Bosendorfers were used for recording. I personally know several pianists who have recorded with Bosendorfers for their albums. I'm not sure how this could allow for a ratio of 100:0.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Bosendorfers get used by some classical guys but my exaggerated ratio makes the point that in recordings and preference of most pianists, concert halls (and recording studios until Yamaha started making inroads in the 70's) Steinway dwarfs all other makers. You really can't compare the statistics if you consider the history of recorded sound. It would just be a crazy figure. There's really Steinway and everyone else. There are incredible pianos out there (Herbie Hancock plays a Fazioli these days) but nothing sounds like a Steinway (i.e. has that character of sound.)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Fair enough, but when one thinks of the ultimate piano do they think of a Steinway or a Bosendorfer? That may be the question Vienna asked themselves and maybe Bosie was their answer. Well, yes, apparently it was, even if it's not actually the opinion of the general public. Steinway is unquestionably the most popular high-end piano, no one can doubt that. So we can say it's the Mercedes. But is it the Rolls Royce? I've always thought that honor went to Bosendorfer.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Well, if you polled the top ten pianists in both the Jazz and Classical fields (Bill Evans, Horowitz et. al.) in the 20th century Bosendorfer may get 1 vote in there as preferred (Rolls) but maybe not.

VSL may have been able to strike a favorable deal with their neighbors there in Vienna I don't know. A licensing deal with Steinway may have been too pricey as well.

Bosendorfer is a great instrument with it's own sound but there's a reason why Steinway has been so dominant and it's not sentimentality. I would be very interested to know what major artists are recording on Bosendorfers these days. It may be more than I think but it's hard to tell because all these halls have Steinways. I don't know if players are having their pianos flown around like Horowitz did these days and if Bosendorfers are being flown around. I can't say I've seen very many though. Let me know if you find any info on who's playing Boseys.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just want to hear the damn thing!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcon ➑️
A licensing deal with Steinway may have been too pricey as well.
I doubt that's it - every Tom Dick and Harry has sampled a Steinway. And maybe that's why they chose Bosendorfer, to separate themselves from the pack.

If Imperial Piano is a success I won't be surprised if they eventually follow with a Steinway version.
πŸ“ Reply