Quantcast
AEA RPQ 2 Channel Preamp / EQ - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AEA RPQ 2 Channel Preamp / EQ
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's wrong with the blue color? It looks mighty refreshing!
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I tracked Drum Overheads with an R88 through the RPQ on Sunday and I've never heard that microphone sound like that. The Top end was amazing and the clarity was remarkable to me. +100K for this box no matter what color they spray paint it!! I used no EQ for the Drum Overheads, as I was startled by the top end response I immediately perceived upon switching the microphone to the RPQ. I also cut vox in stereo with it. Well, sort of. I set up a Tube Mic [MTG M92.1] and the R84 as an alternative. I recorded both through the RPQ, at the same time, on two separate tracks. We did the takes pointing the vocal at the M92.1, with the R84 next to the source. When he would go to the chorus, putting this microphone in, and taking the the 92.1 out was absolutely PERFECT for the song. Regardless, the RPQ was SICK with the M92.1 and there is more headroom than you'll ever need with any microphone. I would also mention that I heard stuff from the 92.1 that I was perviously unaware of. Its a Killer Microphone!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➡️
I tracked Drum Overheads with an R88 through the RPQ on Sunday and I've never heard that microphone sound like that. The Top end was amazing and the clarity was remarkable to me. +100K for this box no matter what color they spray paint it!! I used no EQ for the Drum Overheads, as I was startled by the top end response I immediately perceived upon switching the microphone to the RPQ. I also cut vox in stereo with it. Well, sort of. I set up a Tube Mic [MTG M92.1] and the R84 as an alternative. I recorded both through the RPQ, at the same time, on two separate tracks. We did the takes pointing the vocal at the M92.1, with the R84 next to the source. When he would go to the chorus, putting this microphone in, and taking the the 92.1 out was absolutely PERFECT for the song. Regardless, the RPQ was SICK with the M92.1 and there is more headroom than you'll ever need with any microphone. I would also mention that I heard stuff from the 92.1 that I was perviously unaware of. Its a Killer Microphone!!!
Care to make any subjective comparisons to the other "cleaner" pres you Mercenaries like? (NPNG, Massenberg, Gordon, etc.)
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➡️
Care to make any subjective comparisons to the other "cleaner" pres you Mercenaries like? (NPNG, Massenberg, Gordon, etc.)
Yea.....kind of impossible to put this into words, but I'll try.

I've never used the Gordon, but the others you mention, have more character than the RPQ. The RPQ has enormous headroom, and sonically, it just sounds like your microphone. I found it has incredible depth and S/N ratio. The EQ is really useful, but the preamp really, really shines. At this price point, the RPQ is really worth demoing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➡️
Yea.....kind of impossible to put this into words, but I'll try.

I've never used the Gordon, but the others you mention, have more character than the RPQ. The RPQ has enormous headroom, and sonically, it just sounds like your microphone. I found it has incredible depth and S/N ratio. The EQ is really useful, but the preamp really, really shines. At this price point, the RPQ is really worth demoing.
Cool, thanks. I know I've had a preference for my less-colored pres when tracking vocals with the R84. Hopefully you'll be able to give us a report on that combo.
Old 21st March 2009 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are all the knobs detented? - If not, which ones are not?

THANKS,
AB
Old 24th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The input gain knob is a stepped switch. All the other knobs are detented.

Paul
Old 24th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 ➡️
What's wrong with the blue color? It looks mighty refreshing!
Actually it looks Minty! heh
📝 Reply