Quantcast
Fairchild 660 Compressor in 500 Series Format!! By Anamod AM660 - Page 17 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fairchild 660 Compressor in 500 Series Format!! By Anamod AM660
Old 6th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➑️

(Off Topic: Anybody else having problems replying to posts lately? I find I have to hit Reply twice. More often than not, it stalls when sending and then I hit Reply again and it says I can't post again within 5 minutes and THEN posts my reply and sends me back to the thread.)
Yeah, there is something strange going on, you don't need to click reply twice btw. I found out that if you open a new tab or browser window with GS your post is actually already there while your the other message is still waiting.

So the moment you click reply your post is online it just takes forever to direct you to it.

---

On topic.

Yes, I think it's about time to post the results now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gie-Sound ➑️
Allright,
I finally found some time to upload the A/B-files I made. One file is the AnaMod 660 and the other is a real Fairchild (in this case the one they have at ICP studios Brussels).
For now I just named them 01 and 02 so people are able to give their un-biased opinions heh

I have made small files of a vocal recording and another of an acoustic guitar recording.

[since uploading the files to gearslutz failed, I will just give you links:]

http://www.guidoaalbers.nl/zip/Vocal-1.wav
http://www.guidoaalbers.nl/zip/Vocal-2.wav
http://www.guidoaalbers.nl/zip/AkGit-1.wav
http://www.guidoaalbers.nl/zip/AkGit-2.wav

Both files are actually recorded live and at the same time, by inserting them both processors to a different bus going to ProTools.
The singer's accent is eerily reminiscent of Thurston Howell The 3rd.

I think I prefer #2 but without actually using the units myself it's awful tough for me to have a strong opinion either way.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 ➑️
you missed the point completely.

its not about being "identical" its about having a similar euphonic quality of the original. your 5 pultecs all sound like pultecs, even if they're slightly different. the bombfactory pultec emulation will have a completely different tone.
never heard the bombfactory pultec but i have the waves, and though they sounded very close on the top end, the low end lacked the thud you get with the real deal IMO, at least the ones i have. that doesn't mean they aren't useful at all, and for all i know that's the way JJP's pultec sounds. what i'm trying to say is in the case of the puigtecs i was not as impressed as with the waves neve emulations which did sound very close to my vintage units. i have no agenda here. i love the old stuff, and emulations when they're good. i'm a slut.

Quote:
i expect an "emulator" to approximate the mojo of the original.. but so far i've seen absolutely no evidence that it does.

i'm game for more tests tho
i would expect the same thing bro, specially knowing that greg and co. wouldn't release something til they feel it's within 1% of the unit they're emulating. i did hear a difference on my laptop between the 2 samples (more on gtr than on voice) and i'm thankful they were put up, but the bottom line is i will not be satisfied until i hear them with my ears at my place or armando's, next to his very minty 670. as said before i don't expect them to be clones, but i would be surprised if they don't sound as close as a fairchild 660 would sound next to a 670, which is not the same. we will calibrate to within .1dB when we listen.

the last time i posted files i was accused of posting the same files several times so i doubt i'll do that again but you never know. if i missed your point i apologize but i don't think so, as i believe we're all after pretty much the same thing here. cheers.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
The singer's accent is eerily reminiscent of Thurston Howell The 3rd.
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yeah, i wish... $30k for a compressor?! not in my world.

to me the difference between the 2 samples is HUGE. it's a sickness.

For me I hate the whole gear bashing thing without using a piece of gear trend I see on this site from people like you. I mean you just admitted that you don't own a Fairchild 660 it's not even in your world as you say. Then you take the time to post a ton of posts on this thread shouting at the top of your lungs every chance you get how BIG the difference is between the two clips and how it's like NIGHT and DAY! I guess apparently you are doing this for attention or to show off or a little of both. Either way this doesn't have any reflection on the Anamod 660 or the real thing because like many guys that actually know what their talking about on this site have already stated, you can't judge a piece of gear until you've actually used it on many different settings and in this case compared it to the real thing.

It's quite obvious though that you have skipped all that real world stuff and are now in some sort of pissing contest to show everyone how BIG the differences are between a couple of short sound clips posted on GS. You even have a bunch of sheep now following you around echoing many of your sentiments like poor Michael.

All I know is that even though I hear differences between the two clips I will not jump to conclusions after just hearing a couple of clips and I definitely won't go around telling people about how BIG a difference there is and tromp around like some sort of GS sound clip expert in hopes to impress someone. I really kind of feel sorry for you bro. I sincerely hope for the sake of your psychological state that sound clip #2 is the 660. If it isn't, it's ok I mean it. Don't get depressed and do anything rash, like you said you have a "sickness"? I'm actually being sincere. You've built this up so much for yourself. In the end this is gear we're talking about. We shouldn't take it so seriously, (I include myself) this stuff should be fun, right? Let's just try to curtail some of the negativity and be a little more lighthearted, does that sound possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
For me I hate the whole gear bashing thing without using a piece of gear trend I see on this site from people like you. I mean you just admitted that you don't own a Fairchild 660 it's not even in your world as you say. Then you take the time to post a ton of posts on this thread shouting at the top of your lungs every chance you get how BIG the difference is between the two clips and how it's like NIGHT and DAY! I guess apparently you are doing this for attention or to show off or a little of both. Either way this doesn't have any reflection on the Anamod 660 or the real thing because like many guys that actually know what their talking about on this site have already stated, you can't judge a piece of gear until you've actually used it on many different settings and in this case compared it to the real thing.

It's quite obvious though that you have skipped all that real world stuff and are now in some sort of pissing contest to show everyone how BIG the differences are between a couple of short sound clips posted on GS. You even have a bunch of sheep now following you around echoing many of your sentiments like poor Michael.

All I know is that even though I hear differences between the two clips I will not jump to conclusions after just hearing a couple of clips and I definitely won't go around telling people about how BIG a difference there is and tromp around like some sort of GS sound clip expert in hopes to impress someone. I really kind of feel sorry for you bro. I sincerely hope for the sake of your psychological state that sound clip #2 is the 660. If it isn't, it's ok I mean it. Don't get depressed and do anything rash, like you said you have a "sickness"? I'm actually being sincere. You've built this up so much for yourself. In the end this is gear we're talking about. We shouldn't take it so seriously, (I include myself) this stuff should be fun, right? Let's just try to curtail some of the negativity and be a little more lighthearted, does that sound possible?
wow..

you really dont understand viking humor. i'm guessing you weren't much into sports...

i'm so depressed i could snap at any time!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you have any drum samples?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
you really dont understand viking humor. i'm guessing you weren't much into sports...

You are a viking? I think Bruce is the only true Viking on GS.

You're wrong about me not being into sports though. Not to brag but I've broken records in track and field. I now also enjoy training in the ways of Aikido.

That's good that you won't be or aren't depressed about a piece of gear! That would be silly, almost as silly as wasting time on an internet forum talking about sound all day instead of recording it. Again, I include myself as part of this critique.heh

Peace and Dove

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA VERDAD ➑️
Did I miss that, or did the original poster disappeared?
Nope, I am just to busy working on an album
Old 7th September 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Allright....

here we go:

#1 is the REAL DEAL
#2 is the AnaMod

..... a few remarks:
-I think I should have spend a bit more time matching the drive carefully enough.
-I have no idea when they replaced the tubes for the last time. To me it sounds like they are getting worn.
I know that people have different tastes about this. I just met an engineer who said he always likes the tubes to be older, since he likes the darker sound.

I think if you will add 3 more REAL ones to the test, they will all produce different results. Anyone who used real ones will probably agree on this. Some comments say that the two samples really didn't sound anything alike. But I think the difference between the two test-files is comparable to the difference I've heard between two real ones in the past.
I am very happy with the AnaMod sound. It sounds like the real deal, and it sounds like a well maintained Fairchild... wich does not need much service in the future
I think everyone on this forum who has actually used both the real deal, and the AnaMod agrees that the AnaMod is great.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Obviously I'll be in the minority here but I actually preferred No. 2.

I kept hearing a slight low-end bump in the vocals on No. 1 and, well, just preferred 2.

So sue me...

R.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Allright....

here we go:

#1 is the REAL DEAL
#2 is the AnaMod
LOL Absolutely awesome! Now what do you have to say for yourself 3WO, what do you think of the Anamod's mojo now? Seriously, I'm chuckling as I type this...

Now this is fun!heh

And I quote 3WO...

Quote:
i'd be shocked if #2 is the anamod.

2) ppl don't know what to listen for... mostly from lack of experience.
Also, elambo how big is your magnifying glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
Vocal #2 helps to show why there may never be a better compressor than the 660.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➑️
Obviously I'll be in the minority here but I actually preferred No. 2.

I kept hearing a slight low-end bump in the vocals on No. 1 and, well, just preferred 2.

So sue me...

R.
No.2 sounded better and if he'd add 1176 to the test it probably would sound ,for those application even better, just to show you how useless is these "blind tests"
give 5 engineers a compressor and it would be used in 5 different ways, achieving different sounds from the same unit. so before you use the device in your own studio on your on project you can't say if it good or bad for you
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Now what do you have to say for yourself 3WO, what do you think of the Anamod's mojo now?
My guess is 3WO is out on vacation for the week..... heh heh

Thanks for the test Gie!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Whoops, I shoulda thread through all the posts beforehand (but as usual I got bored with all usual riffraff...) it seems lotsa people liked 2 better?

Let's see if that changes?

R.

(P.S. I don't think it was useless. Not at all. I think it's interesting.)

(P.P.S I'm a loud and proud 1176 user here, no arguments with it's suitability on acoustic and vocals!)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think if you will add 3 more REAL ones to the test, they will all produce different results. Anyone who used real ones will probably agree on this. Some comments say that the two samples really didn't sound anything alike. But I think the difference between the two test-files is comparable to the difference I've heard between two real ones in the past.
My thoughts exactly. thumbsup

Cheers Guido, and goodluck with the album!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Allright....

here we go:

#1 is the REAL DEAL
#2 is the AnaMod

..... a few remarks:
-I think I should have spend a bit more time matching the drive carefully enough.
-I have no idea when they replaced the tubes for the last time. To me it sounds like they are getting worn.
I know that people have different tastes about this. I just met an engineer who said he always likes the tubes to be older, since he likes the darker sound.

I am very happy with the AnaMod sound. It sounds like the real deal, and it sounds like a well maintained Fairchild... wich does not need much service in the future
I think everyone on this forum who has actually used both the real deal, and the AnaMod agrees that the AnaMod is great.
Something to consider about your 660. Did you change the constant voltage transformer to work on 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz? They are frequency specific and it will change the filament voltage to the 6386s. Some of the older 660s have an external cap you can change for 50 Hz but most of the Sola constant voltage transformers are sealed. Most people convert the 6386 filament supply to regulated DC, it improves the noise floor and allows operation on 50 or 60 Hz. I think the voltage actually goes up when you run them on 50 Hz which would do a good job of cooking the 6386s. Something to think about considering the price of 6386s now.

/Dave
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nice, i may pick up a pair for two buss duties.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also, elambo how big is your magnifying glass?
Much smaller than my wallet after I save $29,000 on the Anamod. Wow! I strongly preferred it over the 660, although I was dumb enough to assume that the better sample HAD to be the more expensive one. I've never been happier to be wrong.

Nice work on this thing!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Awesome, some people must regret what they said lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Allright....
here we go:
#1 is the REAL DEAL
#2 is the AnaMod
I swear "We are the Champions" started playing in my head as I read this and I f*cking hate Queen. 8 )
pro
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro ➑️
Both 01 Sounds BIGGER
Word.

Thank you for doing this test...you have saved me some time and money...

There's a lot bull**** fly'n around here...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In general - to the average listener - the two files are very similar. To those who are focusing on the areas where compressors typically shine or fail, the differences are pretty dramatic.
Quote:
although I was dumb enough to assume that the better sample HAD to be the more expensive one. I've never been happier to be wrong.
No, you where dumb enough to equate me to an average listener, which I am not. It's those types of subtle remarks that can start wars on GS. I take pride in my listening ability just as you apparently do. I stated that I heard differences between the sound clips, I even went into detail about what those differences where but I wasn't getting cocky and making claims of BIG differences. You claimed to hear dramatic differences between a piece of gear you don't own and the Anamod; while most actual owners of a 660 and other experts seemed to be indicating that differences among original Fairchild 660's could produce the same types of differences produced between the sound clips posted.

It's all good though. This is seriously the most fun I've had on GS in awhile!heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry, but how much are these selling for? I didn't see a price on their site or anywhere here...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They sell for 1594$ plus taxes here in Montreal.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
No, you where dumb enough to equate me to an average listener, which I am not. It's those types of subtle remarks that can start wars on GS.

Actually, I haven't intentionally referred to you, specifically, ever. Kind of a stretch on your part, certainly odd. And you sent me an 'in your face' private message??? I guessed that #2 - my favorite - was the 660 based purely on the fact that it is a proven legend and the Anamod is the rookie. I had no further insight and I've never used either. I was blissfully wrong. But you're right, IN MY FACE. Burn. My gosh, I'm so ashamed at making such a logical assumption.

Hopefully this will get you to climb back in your coffin -- my statement, what you must be referring to, was a general comment that the "average" person wouldn't hear the difference. Average. Not you. Not most people here. My Mom wouldn't have a favorite. My coworkers - all engineers - would.

Now, are you done stroking yourself, or rather asking for people to stroke you? Back to something less narcissistic maybe...??? Fantastic.

On an relevant note -- even at $1400 (roughly the US dollar equivalent), the Anamod is a steal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you havent used either kit its best not to assume anything and listen with an open mind.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool, I liked #2 better (anamod) yet as Amel and Gie mentioned, their might be issues and/or termination (impedance) questions on the Fairchild.

3WO unfortunately was WAY off base on his assumptions/conclusions, as in; completely wrong!

Better luck next time heh
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysoff ➑️
if you havent used either kit its best not to assume anything and listen with an open mind.
Certainly you're correct - it's best not to assume, and this test is proof, but not having used either piece of equipment is precisely what allowed me to listen with an open mind. I had no first-hand preconceptions to search for and latch on to. Only a handful of us have used a 660, very few an Anamod. I dare any of the members here NOT to draw conclusions when the test is between gear with a price ratio of 30:1. One being a piece which sits at the top of the mound of legendary equipment. It's what made this exercise so much fun, and the results so incredible to me, although not to those who preferred #1 I guess.

Keep in mind that this was partially for fun, and it's more fun when the results are so unexpected. Not making an assumption would ruin the fun.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
not surprised at the outcome, and i wouldn't have been surprised if it were the other way around. what did surprise me is that the two clips didn't sound as close as i'd expect a fairchild to sound next to the anamod.

if this is due to #2 being hit harder and thus compressing more, or there are differences in level, or Gie-Sound's unit wasn't set up like Greg's, that would explain it for me.
πŸ“ Reply