The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro
Old 26th October 2007
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Apple has thrown down the native gauntlet by adding more than ever into their product at half the original price and this is Digidesign's response? Wow, a $280 dongle. Would it have killed them to add optical SPDIF I/O like on the Maudio transit? The new elastic audio thing plus the promise of Sibelius integration has had my hopes very high but this is rather disappointing.
Old 26th October 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think it's a response to Logic 8 at all. Just something simple for those who needs to edit (and compose) on the road in pt. To be fair...the street price will probably be around $199 ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
WOOOOO! Finally--I've been wanting something like this for years!

Can't wait for 7.4 either...caught a local demo on that last night...straight up amazing!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Personally I think it is a genius solution. Finally I can edit anywhere on my laptop without dragging anything else around.

I think the price is a little crazy but lets see what the actually street price is.

Time to go edit in the mountains!!!! Oh except now its snowing and cold as hell!!!heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yeah, while this isn't going to gain them new users, it will be a huge hit at the stores b/c the existing user base will rave over this.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
ooooh, aaaah, a piece of hardware that cost me $200 to let me run the software i already own. good job digi.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I understand why a lot of people won't like this- but for me this is fkin cool.
I can finally do edits on the road, on flights and such and then transfer them to the HD rig.

Maybe someone can help me out here- I don't know how LE is limited compared to HD.
What would I be missing?

Is beat detective identical?
What's the skinny?
Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
48K max.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS ➡️
48K max.
Ah.... that is going to be a problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this should come free with every protools system.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer ➡️
this should come free with every protools system.
what he said
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
There should at least be a massive discount for registered users to buy the dongle only.

I mean, why are we paying AGAIN for software we already own?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave ➡️
Ah.... that is going to be a problem.
For about $330 you could get PT MPowered and a transit USB instead.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Transit

That would at least do 96k in Pro Tools (192k in any other DAW) and if you really needed it, it also has SPDIF optical I/O. It's roughly the size of a deck of cards. The software is identical with LE with the exception of no DV toolkit or C24 support.

Software features/limitations include:

• Award-winning Pro Tools® recording, editing, and mixing
  • 32 simultaneous audio tracks (128 virtual audio tracks), expandable to 48 tracks* with $500 Music Productions Toolkit option
  • Fully integrated MIDI sequencing with 256 simultaneous MIDI tracks
  • Over 40 processing plug-ins, virtual instruments, and compatible applications
  • Support for streaming ReWire applications into Pro Tools
  • Unique Beat Detective™ LE automatic groove analysis and correction tool (Multitrack version only available with $500 Music Productions Toolkit option)
  • Support for the Digidesign® Command|8® control surface
  • Huge selection of compatible third-party plug-ins and software options
  • Works on Windows XP and Mac OS X computers
  • Compatible with more than 20 M-Audio hardware peripherals
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidactic ➡️
For about $330 you could get PT MPowered and a transit USB instead.
This is true.

What I had hoped for was a dongle that allowed whatever you currently owned to be run in a stereo out only format.
IE if you are a HD owner then you can run your curent session (auto converting any tdm plugins to RTAS), do the edits that you need to and save at the current sample rate.

Same with LE.

If you think about it- a Macbook Pro has probably about the same DSP as my dual G5 with HD3 in terms of raw computing power.

This is kinda typical for digi to release a product that the user base has been screaming for but then not allow those same people to work in an efficient manner.
I don't want to be downsampling my work to do mobile edits.
I'd rather wait and do them at the correct sample rate.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No 96K??? What is it with those guys, don't they get it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv ➡️
No 96K??? What is it with those guys, don't they get it?
Confirmed here over and over again, through various polls and threads, the vast majority of people not only in Protools, but all DAW's record at 44. Then the smaller percentage goes like this: 48, then 88. Very few record at 96, and almost none in the big scheme of things at 192. Based on that Digi is appealing to the masses.

This is what my observations here have told me by what I've read here countless times. I personally record at 44.

What sample rate do you record at?

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...-use-most.html

https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-...ou-record.html
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seems like it can do 96k.....

"High-quality sound up to 24-bit, 48 kHz (higher sample rates require pre-conversion)"

I think it can playback 96k, just not record it.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
YES!!! Saves me from lugging around my Mbox mini (which really crams my laptop bag) while working on the road.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 ➡️

"High-quality sound up to 24-bit, 48 kHz (higher sample rates require pre-conversion)"

I kinda doubt it. It probably just means that you have to convert
higher sample rates down to 48 to use it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio ➡️
Personally I think it is a genius solution. Finally I can edit anywhere on my laptop without dragging anything else around.

I think the price is a little crazy but lets see what the actually street price is.

Time to go edit in the mountains!!!! Oh except now its snowing and cold as hell!!!heh
Exactly. I love this. I can finally edit on my laptop...course I'll need the music production toolkit...but full BD on a laptop without a real interface...awesome....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns ➡️
Confirmed here over and over again, through various polls and threads, the vast majority of people not only in Protools, but all DAW's record at 44. Then the smaller percentage goes like this: 48, then 88. Very few record at 96, and almost none in the big scheme of things at 192. Based on that Digi is appealing to the masses.

This is what my observations here have told me by what I've read here countless times. I personally record at 44.

What sample rate do you record at?

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...-use-most.html

https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-...ou-record.html
Yeah I hear ya. But it just seems like conflicting marketing. How long has HD been out now? And what was the major selling point when it first came out? How much more expensive is it to make a 96k converter vs a 48k one? It just reeks of artificial limitation for the sake of keeping a division between product lines, like many of the LE platform limitations.

You can already do this cheaper with an M-powered solution... albeit without BD/toolkit support ... why can't Digi just step up do it for real? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Do they want us to use all their product lines seemlessly or not? Do they REALLY want us to edit without limitations on the go or not? Everything is just ... so close ... they're teasing us really!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13 ➡️
Exactly. I love this. I can finally edit on my laptop...course I'll need the music production toolkit...but full BD on a laptop without a real interface...awesome....
you guys know that elastic audio will be multi channel phase coherent in LE 7.4 right? that pretty much makes BD redundant to a degree
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I wonder what that means?

AFAIK it doesn´t have any input.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's a good move by Digidesign (and certainly not a response to Logic). Pro Tools users have been screaming for this for a long time. Personally I would rather have seen a free Pro Tools LE version running on an iLok though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave ➡️
This is true.

What I had hoped for was a dongle that allowed whatever you currently owned to be run in a stereo out only format.
IE if you are a HD owner then you can run your curent session (auto converting any tdm plugins to RTAS), do the edits that you need to and save at the current sample rate.

Same with LE.

If you think about it- a Macbook Pro has probably about the same DSP as my dual G5 with HD3 in terms of raw computing power.

This is kinda typical for digi to release a product that the user base has been screaming for but then not allow those same people to work in an efficient manner.
I don't want to be downsampling my work to do mobile edits.
I'd rather wait and do them at the correct sample rate.
Pro Tools old timers will remember Powermix from Digidesign, a free 16 track software only version. I think that was 16 bit only - but there WAS a clever trick to somehow - point all the Powermix 16 bit edit information done on your laptop - towards your 24 bit session files once you were back in the studio and have it somehow apply all your 16 bit Powermix edits to your 24 bit main Pro Tools session...

Perhaps this can be figured out? - to do 'off-line editing' with an MBox 2 Micro - that can be applied later to master, 96k sessions?? I am sure this will be dearly hoped for...
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
No 96kHz 96kHz chips are cheap enough, I don't get it...

It should have had digital out (maybe even in?). They could have used the mini-jack/optical combo that Apple uses on their Macbooks.

Which results in: why not let ppl run PT with an iLok using Apple's build-in audio I/O
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

i believe this is a feature in logic where computers with lesser capabilities can play higher sample rate

available since logic 5.2
Quote:
Software sample rates (Logic Platinum only)
Logic 5 now performs a realtime, software sample rate conversion. Any sample rate that is available in Logic’s ”Sample Rate” menu (Menu: Audio > Sample Rate) can be used for the conversion - even if your audio hardware does not support the selected sample rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio ➡️
I must admit I am too lazy to hook up my old MBox a lot of the time - this will be handy for me editing - but for me its in the zone of a Porsche USB memory stick key ring.... small, cute, stylish, expensive, useful but not 100% necessary...

..but desirable to own!

I want one!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
http://www.dv247.com/invt/46797/

£180 in the UK... what a rip off for a stupid dongle
📝 Reply