The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro
Old 3rd November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik ➑️
They make excellent controlsurfaces, the pro tools software and now plugins as well, the new monitors and the venue live console. What they are not that good at is the converters, they should let the customer decide on the converter, many digi users use 3rd party converters anyway. They are both a hardware and a software company.
They make their money selling hardware not much money in software ( due high support and development costs ). That would make them a hardware company just like Apple is for example. I would companies like Waves and Stienberg are software companies their primary products are software not hardware. Digidesign make no real profit on selling Protools software, the real profit is in the hardware.
FWIW the 192 was co-designed by Ed Meitner it is a great convertor IMO.
Old 3rd November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold sounds ➑️
I would like PDC as much as the next guy, but I think it's a bit oversimplified to say that Digi wouldn't have to write much code to give this feature to LE. I've spent my own time at different software and hardware companies, and the fact is any project in a large company takes a lot of time and resources. More importantly, if I can guess HD's architecture well enough, I'd bet that its PDC relies on communication with the hardware cards. Therefore, I think there would actually be quite a bit of new code to write to port PDC functionality over to software-only LE.

Regardless, I want it to happen too.

Valid point. IIRC, the PDC/ADC is handled by the DSP cards. Clearly it's more than just making a line of code "active."
Old 4th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hey Digi you money making H**s lol, that looks neat but how about just a dongle for 40 without an intreface for editing on the road for those of us who own digi002 and m boxes already
Old 5th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i just bought one, and the price isnt bad. its an investment. i'll pay for this within one session, come on guys
Old 6th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby ➑️
Valid point. IIRC, the PDC/ADC is handled by the DSP cards. Clearly it's more than just making a line of code "active."
automatic latency compensation is the easiest thing to implement in the software that already reports latency on every channel
it has really nothing to do with dsp cards, as latency compensation is simply a "hidden time adjuster"
it's only marketing strategy, defending pro tools hd

anyway, most plugins that I have on my laptop falls under rtas buffer and they introduce 0 latency (waves, psp), so you can say that latency compensation is already there
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Nudging a track is pretty easy too.stike
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think a lot of u guys are missing the point of the dongle....true it doesn't have ins/outs, u can't do ova 48k, but the make of it was to be able to have som'n very convienant for EDITING, NOT MIXING, TRACKING; U GOT VOCALS THAT NEED TO BE COMP, PITCHES THAT SUCK, NEED TO REPLACE BAD LICKS WITH GOOD ONES ON DRUMS, ETC, UR AWAY FROM THE STUDIO, ON THE TOILET, AIRPLANE, HOTEL, BUS, JUS GOT THRU BONIN UR GIRL & SHE DON'T WANT U GOING BACK TO OR IN THE STUDIO, WHIP OUT THE DONGLE & GO TO WORK RITE QUICK...& ALL U GOTTA DO IS IMPORT THE NEW/EDITED TRACKS BACK IN UR SESSION @ WHATEVA DESIRED RATE U FEEL...& @ THE END OF THE DAY WE ALL ARE GONNA PURCHASE 7.4; SO FOR A FEW MORE DOLLARS, THEY GIVE U AN EXTRA ON THE GO IN UR POCKET PT SETUP..... I MEAN DAMN, WHERE'S THE PROBLEM IN THAT....

If u got an mbox already & previously had a PT rig, u 9 times out of 10 it for editing purposes: therefore, u really have not a reason to complain b/c u already have som'n & don't even need this....But if a person doesn't have anything outside his rig, & he actually does real work & jus not stuff he/she is recording to play for the fam, then this along w/what ur gonna buy anyway being 7.4 is a kool little deal....

Think about the real use of it....Editing, not all the other things some of u are griping about seriously guys....It's not gonna change anything...It will still be what it is...I u feel like its a piece of crap, then big ups 2ya until u find out Ken Lewis or Michael Boddicker, Or Jean Marie or Al Gore has one...."MAN I GUESSSS I'LL GO HEAD & GET THAT CRAP"......THE FUNNY THING IS NOW U DON' BOUGHT 7.4 TWICE.......DUH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S ➑️
Nudging a track is pretty easy too.stike
u'r joking right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️
JUS GOT THRU BONIN UR GIRL & SHE DON'T WANT U GOING BACK TO OR IN THE STUDIO, WHIP OUT THE DONGLE & GO TO WORK RITE QUICK

I think Digi should employ you in their marketing department.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall ➑️
I think Digi should employ you in their marketing department.
LOL!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL....PAY ME I'LL TAKE IT....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
anyone ever notice that digi always releases what we want way to late and never with an added wow factor? (in hardware anyways). I cant remember a time I was excited by any digi hardware. its usually "finally! hmmm but its crippled to 48k" or "wow thats pretty cool but the converters arent that great and im limited to a certain number of tracks or no BNC" etc etc etc. With hardware they always feel a year or two behind at least. and I dont think its because its impossible to satisfy gearslutz. The things we ask for are pretty simple to do.

Ill still keep using my portable mboxpro though--but its not that portable once I add my converters and mic pres to make it sound acceptable--of course only at 48k and damn it I keep running out of tracks.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Unless the upgrade to 7.4 is less than $75 I will get a Micro.
Old 7th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko ➑️
automatic latency compensation is the easiest thing to implement in the software that already reports latency on every channel
it has really nothing to do with dsp cards, as latency compensation is simply a "hidden time adjuster"
it's only marketing strategy, defending pro tools hd

anyway, most plugins that I have on my laptop falls under rtas buffer and they introduce 0 latency (waves, psp), so you can say that latency compensation is already there
Well, my understanding was/is that the delay comp was handled at least partially (I have no idea how their coding actually works) by the DSP cards. And while implementing in software is certainly possible, my point was (assuming that it does involve the DSP cards) that implementing a software PDC/ADC is more complicated in this case than simply making a piece of code "active."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel ➑️
Unless the upgrade to 7.4 is less than $75 I will get a Micro.
Depends on what you're upgrading from
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S ➑️
Digidesign make no real profit on selling Protools software, the real profit is in the hardware.
Unless you work for digidesign that is pure speculation, why would they make less money by selling the software without the hardware for the same price?

The comment about the converters was to illustrate that no one uses PT because of the converters, itΒ΄s the software.
Old 13th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry I have not been reading this whole thread but I have a question that may have already been addressed. When you buy the Micro .. does it come with Pro Tools LE? Or is it only designed to open existing Pro Tools installations?
Old 14th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It will come with PT 7.4 LE
Old 17th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
....nice little handy micro thing.....but what about the small output jacks ?

do you think they have the same quality like a "m box 2 pro" converter ? (at 48k)

any ideas ?

cheers
Gordon
Old 18th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I just picked one up tonight and I'm installing it now. This is going to be great to be able to do edits from the house and take to the studio the next day. Just thinking man,, I could even get source live and be able to spend even more time at home.

Very Handy
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise ➑️
....nice little handy micro thing.....but what about the small output jacks ?

do you think they have the same quality like a "m box 2 pro" converter ? (at 48k)

any ideas ?

cheers
Gordon
both spec well, obviously the Pro Out-specs the Micro, but the Micro still has a far superior output than what is on your laptop... I use mine all the time going between a 002 and it transfers great...

Micro:
1/8th Inch Audio Output
Dynamic Range: 103 dB A-weighted (THD+N: 0.002%)

Pro (Stereo Monitor outs)
Dynamic Range: 106 dB / 110 dB A-weighted

remember,
gearsux
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Power of magical thinking

Yes, it often happens. I just think something and it happens.
Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2u ➑️
Oh, so this was your idea... Great work, man!

Sorry, just bustin on ya...

FWIW, and not to burst your bubble too badly, but pretty much since PTLE has been available there have been people clammoring for a dongle that allows you to mix without the big hunks of hardware hanging off.
---
c
Old 29th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 1st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
M-Audio Transit = 24bit/96kHz.

M-AUDIO - Transit - Hi-Resolution Mobile Audio Interface

with a USB cable, it's less prone to breaking off too.
πŸ“ Reply