The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves GTR3
Old 16th October 2007

🎧 20 years
Waves GTR3

I heard they introduced this at AES...

Info:
Waves GTR3 | Guitar Tool Rack | Guitar Amp | Guitar Effects | Guitar Virtual Pedals

Video:
The making of GTR3

Let's at least try to have this thread focus on the product's sonics and functionality, not the Waves politics.

Installing now.

I was looking away when the video was playing and went "Damn, that sounds like a real amp!", then turned to find they had mic'd a real amp. About 2/3ths in things do start to sound really close.

So, who's gonna be the 1st person to try to mimick the intro to "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love"?
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah the A/B comparison in the video is impressive !

Like Paul said : good job !
Old 16th October 2007 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
trying the demo

as much as i cringe with wavs, if its good, gotta get it.
Old 17th October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Digi will have to work a lot with its nice ELEVEN.

U$1200 for a TDM version of this plug-in?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Man, those demos sound pretty good.

-SD

🎧 15 years
I love the Paul Video, making of , very very cool. This might be one of the better models out now. I hope they allow just the software without the DI purchase..

🎧 15 years
The problem with the A B on the video, is that the real amp tone sounds like a Korg A3 already!

🎧 15 years
It may be me but Paul R. Smith and the guitar playing are not sync'd. Looks liked they dubbed in the guitar after. Watch near the end of the video where it is obvious.

🎧 15 years
Is the DI Box still the original one?

Does somebody know if the DI is usable for later reamping?
I would like to use GTR for tracking or maybe some vintage sounds and use my Engl Special Edition later in the process for the high gain stuff.

Currently I have a countryman for this purpose, but I am curious, whether the PRS DI Box would improve the signal too. So the question is, whether the box is optimized for GTR and modifies the signal.

(e.g. i had the toneport and the original signal was not very usable for reamping)

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH ➑️
It may be me but Paul R. Smith and the guitar playing are not sync'd. Looks liked they dubbed in the guitar after. Watch near the end of the video where it is obvious.
Maybe, maybe not...

The whole video looked a little out of sync to me, like most online video presentations.

The only way to know for sure is to try this puppy out. To me, if the video is for real this thing sound stunning.

Through trial and error I have found that amp sims sound better with the right guitar. Different pickups and wood can make them sound better or worse. I just swapped out pickups in one of my guitars and it made my pod xt sound light years better. Not as much crap on the top end.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up WOW

Sorry guys, I don't want to sound like a freaking impressed idiot, but I guess I am...
I didn't look at any videos, hear demos or whatsoever. Just went directly for the demo, installed it and replaced Logics GtrAmpPro with the GTR on two guitar tracks on a pop-song I'm currently producing. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now things sounds like real electric guitars coming through in the mix with a depth I've only experienced before with - yep, real amps! (I used to record with a great old Fender Super reverb).
I had a P-Bass playing old-school plectrum style too, and the bass amp in GTR really makes this P-Bass sing.
Is it just me? Anyone else tried this thing? Anyone has a change to A/B it with other sims?
Old 18th October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone else try this out, I demo'd it yesterday and was impressed, I think it's the best of the bunch, I compared to Guitar Rig and Amplitube, and found it to have the edge with regard to realism, Amplitube is good but I think a little Boxy sounding compared to GTR3, which has a more open sound, it's not as editable as the other two, especially Guitar Rig which is really good with regard to editing, but it's the tone that really matters to me and GTR3 is in the lead, the effects I was not so sure about I think the delay and reverb was maybe not so good as the other two's offerings, but I need to test a little more yet to be sure, so far it's won me over.
Old 24th November 2007 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Just Got It

When I get Home Imma Use It
Cant wait till Wed. But i LOve my I PhoNe For GearSluTz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
is their interface really necessary?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer ➑️
is their interface really necessary?
No you can use GTR3 with out it.
But it does sound better with it.
Waves did a VERY good job on GTR3thumbsup

George Ware
Old 25th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so using an amazing DI and converters isnt as good as the interface???

🎧 15 years
I wonder how the Waves interface will stack up against my Avalon U5?

Marketing hype. It's still a DI box.

Somehow I think I'll be ok.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikwerks ➑️
I wonder how the Waves interface will stack up against my Avalon U5?

Marketing hype. It's still a DI box.

Somehow I think I'll be ok.
thats exactly what I was thinking.... why would I use this over my germanium or great river? is it magic?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Apparently there's some Secret Impedance Matching Circuit in there... PRS explains it in the video: the impedance is set in a way that the guitar 'sees' an amp input.

IMHO this is one of the most important (if not THE most important) reason of failure with a lot of amp sims. When impedance isn't matched the guitar will sound different and no matter how great your software is, it won't help.

Herwig

🎧 15 years
I downloaded the Demo a couple days ago. Also downloaded the Digi Eleven demo as well.

And I got to say that for an amp sim. GTR3 gets my vote. Mainly because of the "stomp" plug that comes with it. I like how they broke it up into different plugs. So I can use the phaser from the stomp plug without having to run the amp sim.

Although I would be curious as to how different it sounds using the PRS interface as opposed to a good D.I. + Preamp. FWIW, I was using the D.I. input on a Langevin DVC.
Old 26th November 2007 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet ➑️
Apparently there's some Secret Impedance Matching Circuit in there... PRS explains it in the video: the impedance is set in a way that the guitar 'sees' an amp input.

IMHO this is one of the most important (if not THE most important) reason of failure with a lot of amp sims. When impedance isn't matched the guitar will sound different and no matter how great your software is, it won't help.

Herwig
that just means it has an input impedance of 1 MOhms... like most guitar amps... so there is no secret circuit...

a digi 002 has 1MOhm instrument inputs... not exactly "special"
Old 26th November 2007 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
GTR3 is really great. The stomp boxes are just plain fun, really nice sounding phaser. The pitcher tracks really well, even with polyphonic material.

Best sounding of the emulation lot. Still not gonna replace real amps for me, but I really love it for creative sound design. The stomps I actually use on recorded amped guitars etc.

Can't compliment Waves without throwing in this tho; dfegadWaves
Old 12th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

It sounds great, but I'm concerned that it's still missing the uniqueness of miking an amp in a room. Despite the variety of guitars, settings, and players, won't this further homogenize the sound of recordings?
Old 15th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Disclosure - Paul Smith and I have a studio together.

Many of the modeled amps are from Paul's personal collection. The prior versions of GTR were good at everything but the high gain models. This is now fixed. When ABing the real amp to GTR 3, GTR 3 hangs in there really really well. The ability to tweek the settings after the fact really does the trick when all the tracks are laid and you wish you could change a setting here and there. I've done use some convolutions to add the room sound afterwards and that seals the deal. It's very usable. If you get GTR 3, get the interface as well. It make the whole thing complete.

BTW, GTR 3 also works wonders on bass, rhodes and clavs. MUCH fun! :D

🎧 15 years
Tinder, can you explain the benefits (if any) of buying the Waves interface as opposed to another brand of perhaps better DI box? Is there something about the Waves interface that makes it so important or are we just being sold after market add-ons?

I have the GTR3 software but somehow can't see the Waves interface being a better option than my Avalon DI box.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I can have Paul give a detailed spec on the device but it basically converts the guitar to the proper impedence through the box's preamp so that the guitar is loaded the way a typical guitar amp input would react with the guitar.
Old 16th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts ➑️
I can have Paul give a detailed spec on the device but it basically converts the guitar to the proper impedence through the box's preamp so that the guitar is loaded the way a typical guitar amp input would react with the guitar.
thanks Tinder. i too am curious as to why the interface would be better than any high quality direct box.
Old 21st February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's official. I think it is finally the best plug in - or good enough - next to micing up a real amp. Really good stuff.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I like it too. Most presets are not for me really, but with a bit a twicking I get all the sounds I need. And the FX are really cool.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm using GTR 3 and Amplitube 2. It's hard for me to tell you which one I love the most.
πŸ“ Reply