The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bragi Modular Wyrd - Matrix mixer for eurorack
Old 27th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Bragi Modular Wyrd - Matrix mixer for eurorack

Hi everyone!

We are a fairly new modular company from Denmark and we are super excited to launch our new module - Wyrd

WYRD is a compact 4×4 matrix mixer built for performers.

The feature that sets it apart from most other matrix mixers is the performance focused offset fader at the bottom. The fader let’s you offset all four outputs (Marked A-B-C-D) with 5 volts in either positive or negative direction. This way you can set up quite complex modulation chains and then use the fader to affect all outputs. Perfect for live interaction.

WYRD is DC coupled and while it is aimed at mixing CV signals as mentioned above, it works great for audio as well. In case you want to mix audio signals, make sure to place the fader in the center. The fader has a center detent and will null in the middle position, letting you easily disengage it from the outputs.

All high quality components from mechanical parts like the pots and fader, to the electronic componets.

The panel is made of annodized, black aluminium with laser engraved graphics. This combination is very strong, the graphics will never fade or tear.

The small size for a matrix mixer and the very low power consumption makes it the perfect complex mixing source for your live or compact rig.

Panel width 10HP
Module depth 25mm – skiff friendly!

Power consumption
+12v 32ma
– 12v 30ma

Price: 160 €

Wyrd is available right now in our shop: www.bragi-modular.com

We are also active on instagram Instagram: www.instagram.com/bragimodular

Hope you dig our new baby :party:
Old 27th January 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DupaPeepa ➡️
I knew this logo looked familiar...
Might want to rethink your brand logo, it's very similar to Valhallas.
I don't think it's that close. It's a viking helmet. Don't you think it's you who just connect the viking helmet to ValhallaDSP very much?
Old 27th January 2022 | Show parent
Deleted 9d88367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastemoth ➡️
I don't think it's that close. It's a viking helmet. Don't you think it's you who just connect the viking helmet to ValhallaDSP very much?
+1 exactly

There's no embargo on viking helmet. Whatever. A point missed completely.

That price is tempting.

OP - FYI I tried to checkout but there was no VAT field for company owners?
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I knew this logo looked familiar...
Might want to rethink your brand logo, it's very similar to Valhallas.
Hi there!

It is not the first time we have seen this comment, and you do have a point in relation to the old logo, however the lines in ours are way different.

We love Valhalla DSP and have several of his offerings, awesome stuff.

I'd like to point out that the Valhalla DSP logo has evolved in to this:

Still a viking helmet, but not comparable in our eyes and our branding is way different.

Last edited by Uncite; 29th January 2022 at 09:20 AM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barada ➡️
+1 exactly

There's no embargo on viking helmet. Whatever. A point missed completely.

That price is tempting.

OP - FYI I tried to checkout but there was no VAT field for company owners?
PM Sent!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncite ➡️

That's a banana taco. I think you'll be fine.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncite ➡️
Hi there!

It is not the first time we have seen this comment, and you do have a valid point.

We love Valhalla DSP and have several of his offerings, awesome stuff.

Still a viking helmet, but not comparable in our eyes. Our logo is definitely similar to the old Valhalla DSP logo, but our branding is way different.
Hi! Sean from Valhalla here.

We need to point out that our older logo is:

- still in use
- is still in use in commerce, in the Eurorack space (as pointed out by the photo of the Z-DSP cartridge from Valhalla earlier in the thread)
- and is a registered trademark of Valhalla DSP, LLC.

The US trademark registration number of the old logo is 4681428. The newer helmet logo's registration number is 6567032.

Here's our blog post about the history of our logos. It is worth noting that the helmet logo dates back to 2002, and was first associated with the name "Valhalla" in a Reaktor ensemble from 2003.

https://valhalladsp.com/2020/06/23/s...lhalla-design/

Here's one of the listings for the Halls of Valhalla cartridge for the Z-DSP, as being actively sold on a major US modular vendor's website. Notice that the older logo is in use on this product.

https://www.controlvoltage.net/tipto...lla-for-z.html

One of the things about US trademarks is that they have to be defended in order to retain their legal status. Please consider this a polite public request to change your logo to something that does not closely resemble either of Valhalla DSP's trademarked helmet logos.

It is obvious from the public responses in this thread that people think that your current logo closely resembles our logo, and it would be best to not have the likelihood of confusion around our logo in a market that we both participate in.

Thanks,

Sean Costello

Last edited by seancostello; 29th January 2022 at 04:58 AM..
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
One of the things about US trademarks is that they have to be defended in order to retain their legal status.
That's one of the things I think gets entirely lost on the internet at large whenever they feel like "big company A is going after little guy B"...you can literally lose your trademark protections if you fail to defend them. It's malpractice and bad business not to.
Deleted 9d88367
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
Hi! Sean from Valhalla here.

We need to point out that our older logo is:

- still in use
- is still in use in commerce, in the Eurorack space (as pointed out by the photo of the Z-DSP cartridge from Valhalla earlier in the thread)
- and is a registered trademark of , LLC.

The US trademark registration number of the old logo is 4681428. The newer helmet logo's registration number is 6567032.

Here's our blog post about the history of our logos. It is worth noting that the helmet logo dates back to 2002, and was first associated with the name "Valhalla" in a ensemble from 2003.

https://valhalladsp.com/2020/06/23/s...lhalla-design/

Here's one of the listings for the Halls of Valhalla cartridge for the Z-DSP, as being actively sold on a major US modular vendor's website. Notice that the older logo is in use on this product.

https://www.controlvoltage.net/tipto...lla-for-z.html

One of the things about US trademarks is that they have to be defended in order to retain their legal status. Please consider this a polite public request to change your logo to something that does not closely resemble either of 's trademarked helmet logos.

It is obvious from the public responses in this thread that people think that your current logo closely resembles our logo, and it would be best to not have the likelihood of confusion around our logo in a market that we both participate in.

Thanks,

Sean Costello
Well I need to point something for you as well.

The problem with your logo "design" is that you didn't design anything did you? You may now say "yes I did" but I have seen prime examples of graphic designers such as yourself.

You went to the internet and browsed for a viking helmet vector, you took the one which suited your vision best and then you acted like you designed it.

If anything you just changed horns on it. And now yo expect anyone who uses a Viking helmet is breaking your copyright. Not cool.

Just got to shutterstock and type in "viking helmet vector"
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/...ge_type=vector
I have found at least 5 examples which resemble your "design" in the first 6 pages out of 156 of them.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-v...lmet-342449969
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-v...ign-1774805717
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-v...icon-111885563
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-v...ine-1580935228

By that logic you should sue or ask for removal for any similar design on the web or online repositories such as shutterstock, freepik etc.

But this would be absurd of course because designers who made the logo acted and designed it from scratch (unlike what you did), but since the art resembles a well known element it may apear as if it is breaking your copyrighted stuff.

I am aware you are a cool developer but this logo "design" wouldn't be a pass for you if you tried to use apple fruit - mister. You can expect these kind of problems when you try to use worldwide general elements in your "designs" downloaded from the internet. Which is probably why you evolved your "design" into something more unique and modern.

Word of advice: hire a real graphic artist if you want to be unique with your logo.
Deleted 9d88367
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you to research the topic of which you are pretending to know about, instead of posting in a public forum for everyone to see that you are pretending to know what you're talking about?

fiy, Applebees is not in conflict with Apple, because Apples isn't a restaurant chain and Applebees isn't a tech giant.
Ah yes cancel culture at work. Typical. You found yourself being upset. Right. Because I pointed obvious. Your developer didn't designed anything but he had means and money to make viking helmet copyrighted. Priceless. Almost like patent trolling.

https://www.eff.org/issues/resources...-troll-victims

What is a patent troll?
A patent troll uses patents as legal weapons, instead of actually creating any new products or coming up with new ideas. Instead, trolls are in the business of litigation (or even just threatening litigation). They often buy up patents cheaply from companies down on their luck who are looking to monetize what resources they have left, such as patents.

Btw noone is interested in your further twisting with restaurant. You again missed the point completely.

Here is more for you:

https://pngimg.com/images/people/viking
https://pngimg.com/image/58504
https://pngimg.com/image/58503
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/i...?adppopup=true
https://depositphotos.com/80334654/s...-template.html
Old 29th January 2022
Deleted 9d88367
It wouldn't be any different if I took the Christian cross iconic sign, bend it a little, make circle around it and then make it copyrighted. And expect the whole world to not use crosses anymore.

Absurd.
Old 29th January 2022
Gear Addict

No need to fight! Viking helmets didn’t have horns anyway
Lives for gear

Quote:
Umm.. You're insane.

Every business trademarks their logo, and it can't be similar to any other companies logo within the field/market of which they both specialize. It's not exclusive to people with Yachts. I'm pretty sure in some places, it is even mandatory to obtain your business license.

The irony of you using the word logic. How about this logic, since we can have two companies with nearly the same logo... why not 100 companies with the same logo? Why draw the line at 2?
Yup, 100% insane. I am a graphic designer and his arguments are not connected to reality in any way. He is not only unnecessarily aggressive, but also 100% wrong. Sean is correct and also obliged to defend his legal rights.

Also a personal opinion: I do find the two logos disturbingly similar. It is an uncomfortable situation and there's probably no bad intention here, but the polite thing would be to alter the newcoming logo until it is less similar to the old and patented one. That's how things in our field work.
Old 29th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Official statement from Bragi Modular:

First things first: We definitely have zero bad intentions regarding this matter. We are not looking to step on anyone's toes.

A quick history of our logo and brand: We are based in Aarhus, Denmark, which has a very rich cultural heritage littered with rune stones and history related to the viking period, when the town was also founded. This is something very close to our hearts.
Our logo itself is an original illustration by us, inspired by the modern depiction of a viking helmet.

We are currently considering our options and will open up a friendly dialogue with Valhalla DSP to solve this matter.

Thank you for your comments so far in this thread.

Simon & Morten from Bragi Modular
Old 29th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just change the helmet to a popular fruit , why not go for an apple ?
Old 29th January 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
For the record I definitely didn't think of Valhalla when I saw their logo. This is hardware eurorack and I associate Valhalla with reverb. Yes, they might make a DSP cartridge or something for a eurorack unit but it's still a reverb cartridge. Between the fact that this is hardware eurorack and the name of the product is written in a rune style font - a design style Valhalla DSP has never used, Valhalla DSP never entered my mind.

Now if this was related to reverb, that's another story.
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
For the record I definitely didn't think of Valhalla when I saw their logo. This is hardware eurorack and I associate Valhalla with reverb. Yes, they might make a DSP cartridge or something for a eurorack unit but it's still a reverb cartridge. Between the fact that this is hardware eurorack and the name of the product is written in a rune style font - a design style Valhalla DSP has never used, Valhalla DSP never entered my mind.

Now if this was related to reverb, that's another story.
On the flip side, I saw the logo on the New Products page and immediately thought ValhallaDSP had something new. Then saw it was a Eurorack module, got confused, and realized it wasn't ValhallaDSP. So the confusion will happen. Definitely did here.

Anyway, I hope all parties come to a happy agreement without lawyers needing to get involved.
Old 30th January 2022
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Let's talk Eurorack matrix mixers: I deal with matrices in my code all the time, but have never used one in hardware. In Eurorack, I would use mixers and attenuators to combine audio and modulation signals. What are some of the things you can do with a 4x4 matrix mixer in Eurorack land?
📝 Reply