Quantcast
Tone Empire Plugins released FireChild - The King of Compressors - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tone Empire Plugins released FireChild - The King of Compressors
Old 17th November 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➡️
Well I did it all from the chassis to the transformers. 16 way interleaved transformers for wide bandwith etc, 10 tubes per channel and a total of 30 tubes. Gain reduction amp is 4 tubes per channel and the power supply is tube regulated with 2 tubes. So 30 in all. Plus I enjoy the idea of only one in the world!
My word...sounds like a TON of work!
Old 14th December 2021
Here for the gear

We have fixed the known issues that our customers informed us about.

1) fixed oversampling issues experienced in some daws
2) fixed distortion occurring in some systems
3) fixed Mode B for balanced LR output

Download Firechild Version 1.5 Today: https://tone-empire.com/shop/firechild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk45BrFVDD4
Old 15th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, finally had a chance to try this one. I don't care if it's accurate or not in terms of modeling (I'm pretty sure it's not all that accurate as it's compression characteristics behave different to the clones I've got experience with) but in a pure sound bliss experience this ranks pretty damn high as a useful compressor! It's absolutely phenomenal on very difficult sources like a musical/opera like vocal that is all over the place. This test file of mine is NOT easy to control and is one that many compressors fail at taming. I also put it on some really badly recorded piano that was super clicky and nasty and this thing just breezed through the task.

However, there are a few things keeping me from considering this:

1) Will there ever be a Mac M1 Native version of the plugin? The web site says M1 compatible but it is NOT native. It is Rosetta translated and seems to work.. but still.

2) Both the INPUT and OUTPUT gain knobs affect the DRY mix signal!!! HOW ON EARTH can people still get this so wrong in 2021/2022??? This makes operating the dry/wet mix knob an absolute nightmare!

Horrible user experience using that knob. Absolutely sub-par design choice. A dry/wet knob should be an extremely simple thing. You simply turn it left to get more of the original signal compared to the wet. It should _never_ be affected by any gain controls that affect distortion and compression. NEVER EVER. Now you have to literally juggle 3 knobs to set your dry/wet target.. and one of those affects the amount of saturation and compression. An absolute nightmare.

I have a hard time justifying spending any money on a compressor plugin that can't get this simple concept right as it absolutely messes with the workflow, costing tons of extra time.. and time is money.
Old 15th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well.. even with the HUGE usability drawback, I caved. I just can't get over how awesome the compression action on this thing sounds. Got it for a steal at pluginboutique so only a mediocre dinner worth of cash spent. I also like that it's a simple serial protection so I will of course support that effort.

Please consider revisiting the dry/wet knob though. I know it can be a problem with backwards compatibility for people who already happily use the plugin but perhaps you could add a simple switch that toggles the behavior and default to the current operation? That way we could all have our cake and eat it.

EDIT: Added a little audio example of just how much awesome movement and control this thing can do. There is absolutely no EQ changes in this clip, just dynamics processing galore and of course Tone Projects Kelvin doing that magical thing it does. The main heavy lifting in terms of compression and groove is Firechild. I set the sidechain filters to only focus on the 100 to 140Hz region, doing about 4dB of compression at it's most.. this gives the track a nice groove and brings out all the details. These details are then further enhanced by Kelvin. Final processing is the Sonible Smart:Limiter that I also just purchased. This helps stabilize the whole thing by doing about 2dB of limiting. I've tried to somewhat volume match the files.
Attached Files

PlateTec - Original.mp3 (1.73 MB, 66 views)

PlateTec - Mojo.mp3 (1.73 MB, 61 views)

Last edited by bmanic; 15th December 2021 at 02:02 AM..
Old 15th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
Well.. even with the HUGE usability drawback, I caved. I just can't get over how awesome the compression action on this thing sounds. Got it for a steal at pluginboutique so only a mediocre dinner worth of cash spent. I also like that it's a simple serial protection so I will of course support that effort.

Please consider revisiting the dry/wet knob though. I know it can be a problem with backwards compatibility for people who already happily use the plugin but perhaps you could add a simple switch that toggles the behavior and default to the current operation? That way we could all have our cake and eat it.

EDIT: Added a little audio example of just how much awesome movement and control this thing can do. There is absolutely no EQ changes in this clip, just dynamics processing galore and of course Tone Projects Kelvin doing that magical thing it does. The main heavy lifting in terms of compression and groove is Firechild. I set the sidechain filters to only focus on the 100 to 140Hz region, doing about 4dB of compression at it's most.. this gives the track a nice groove and brings out all the details. These details are then further enhanced by Kelvin. Final processing is the Sonible Smart:Limiter that I also just purchased. This helps stabilize the whole thing by doing about 2dB of limiting. I've tried to somewhat volume match the files.
WOW! It impressed me! Wasn't planning to grab it right now, but I'll need to, at least, try it now.
Old 15th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will check this out.
📝 Reply