Quantcast
Acustica intros Snow: contemporary British-style suite for the modern producer - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica intros Snow: contemporary British-style suite for the modern producer
Old 15th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Here is a rough balance with nothing on it
Radical changes. you did miracles
Old 16th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick81 ➡️
Radical changes. you did miracles
I was really surprised how easily you can pull sounds out of this bundle. Once you come to terms with the CPU hit you will definitely find a way to make it work.

I've only been using Acustica for a little less than a year and own almost everything they make . Like anything else not everything they make is to my taste. Indigo is a prime example of something I thought would be right up my alley but I ended up passing on it simply because I feel like other offerings of theirs that I already own get me to similar sounds.

Snow however is a definite keeper
Just
Old 18th June 2021 | Show parent
FFS
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Well Bournemouth are a tad dumb - they should have kept Eddie Howe on. Now another season in the Championship looms.
no idea about football, im from London originally ! ha but to my knowledge it doesn't do what the hardware does in this respect :/
Old 21st June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala ➡️
Acustica has to do something about the extremely high cpu load! I have tested this one in two old projects and both failed to play back properly.
They are great quality, but this is their biggest downfall and what will hold them back.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta ➡️
EQ and Pre are nice but as usual with most Aqua Mastering or Multi band Comps these days it uses way to much CPU in Studio One. 13% for one instance of SnowMBT. Anticipative Fx Processing in Reaper or audio Gridder is the only thing that makes them usable. I will pass again as i ain't paying for 50% of a usable product or being forced to switch to a new DAW or work around.
I'm seeing people sell their AA collections now via kvr, and ebay for what you are talking about. Snow crashes Studio One pretty hard for me.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ok
First full gridder mix with SNOW on literally everything.
I'll probably tweak this a little more but I think this gives a pretty good idea of how flexible Snow is.
Fantastic job Acustica...seriously!

(I forgot to mention, the level for mastering was done on the Weiss MM1)
Really nice mix – well done!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston ➡️
Really nice mix – well done!
Appreciated man
Thank you
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ok
I specifically chose this recording because it was done on what seemed to me like a carboard box with really reflective walls (yes I am aware of the contradiction but I have no other way to describe it). Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING, had a lot of of every boxy frequency you can imagine, a gigantic hole where everything that gives punch lives (80hz to120hz was a hole about 8db deep) yet somehow the snare had way to much energy at 35hz. (my guess is they had very small monitors and couldn't hear the mic pre crapping out on the snare because the thump down there was sporadic, but that is just a guess because 35hz made absolutely no sense). Did I mention that it all sounded reeeeeally harsh? The pick on the acoustic felt like an icepick. (according to the analyzer the recording had all kinds of fun stuff happening in the 2.8 to 5.2k range)

Right up front I have to say that Snow is wonderful. Everything in the bundle sounds amazing and has a ton of depth. Image is wide (and MB can make that wider with ease) and the preamps alone can keep you occupied for hours. Aside from a few corrective things on frequencies not available on Snow all eq and compression duties where done only in Snow. The only additional things are UAD Studer tape on the channels and the Ampex on the maser buss. (Corrective stuff outside of Snow was handled by the Eiosis Air EQ)

When I said that this bundle made everything easier I'm not even close to kidding. It made getting rid of the offending frequencies and adding energy where needed a very pleasant experience (way easier than I expected) and more importantly it didn't sound like I was cutting/adding anywhere near the amount of EQ that I did.

In mastering was the only place where I wished for Snow to have some kind of metering for the limiter. I couldn't for the life of me get it to sound right (to me, YMMV and all that). It was almost like by the time I actually heard what it was doing it was too much and it became too gooey.

In mastering the DEPTH and WIDTH controls on MB are nothing short of amazing, just keep in mind that a little goes a long way.
Being that the limiter is literally the only thing I don't get along with I cannot recommend this bundle enough.

Gridder was good for everything but MB. I remastered the track a few times trying different options and every single time I came back to the session I would have to take MB out and re do it from scratch. I couldn't create a working preset on it and it simply didn't want to cooperate no matter what I tried. It just slammed the cpu meter on protools and that was that. Seeing as I wasn't doing a lot on MB it was a minor inconvenience but worth mentioning.

I'll probably tweak this a little more but I think this gives a pretty good idea of how flexible Snow is.

This sounds really good, man. Nice job.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoru97214 ➡️
This sounds really good, man. Nice job.
Thanks man, appreciate the kind words
Old 21st June 2021
Gear Maniac
I LOVE Acustica plugins, own most of them but rarely use them.
Although I own a 2019 fully loaded Mac Pro maxed out ram etc. I find most (not all) of the Acustica plugins crush the cpu and therefore isn’t really an option for me in a large mix session.
I hope that changes over time.
BTW Snow sounds great and fairs well against my hardware MBP, just can only use it in smaller sessions.
Old 22nd June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Ok
I specifically chose this recording because it was done on what seemed to me like a carboard box with really reflective walls (yes I am aware of the contradiction but I have no other way to describe it). Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING, had a lot of of every boxy frequency you can imagine, a gigantic hole where everything that gives punch lives (80hz to120hz was a hole about 8db deep) yet somehow the snare had way to much energy at 35hz. (my guess is they had very small monitors and couldn't hear the mic pre crapping out on the snare because the thump down there was sporadic, but that is just a guess because 35hz made absolutely no sense). Did I mention that it all sounded reeeeeally harsh? The pick on the acoustic felt like an icepick. (according to the analyzer the recording had all kinds of fun stuff happening in the 2.8 to 5.2k range)

Right up front I have to say that Snow is wonderful. Everything in the bundle sounds amazing and has a ton of depth. Image is wide (and MB can make that wider with ease) and the preamps alone can keep you occupied for hours. Aside from a few corrective things on frequencies not available on Snow all eq and compression duties where done only in Snow. The only additional things are UAD Studer tape on the channels and the Ampex on the maser buss. (Corrective stuff outside of Snow was handled by the Eiosis Air EQ)

When I said that this bundle made everything easier I'm not even close to kidding. It made getting rid of the offending frequencies and adding energy where needed a very pleasant experience (way easier than I expected) and more importantly it didn't sound like I was cutting/adding anywhere near the amount of EQ that I did.

In mastering was the only place where I wished for Snow to have some kind of metering for the limiter. I couldn't for the life of me get it to sound right (to me, YMMV and all that). It was almost like by the time I actually heard what it was doing it was too much and it became too gooey.

In mastering the DEPTH and WIDTH controls on MB are nothing short of amazing, just keep in mind that a little goes a long way.
Being that the limiter is literally the only thing I don't get along with I cannot recommend this bundle enough.

Gridder was good for everything but MB. I remastered the track a few times trying different options and every single time I came back to the session I would have to take MB out and re do it from scratch. I couldn't create a working preset on it and it simply didn't want to cooperate no matter what I tried. It just slammed the cpu meter on protools and that was that. Seeing as I wasn't doing a lot on MB it was a minor inconvenience but worth mentioning.

Wanted to comment on how nice your mix sounds!! I’ve just used Snow on 2 projects and I feel like it’s a secret weapon already haha. I’m using the MB and the EQ on the mixbus. Very small moves but what it does just opens everything up for me. Anyway, thanks for sharing your lovely work
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonius ➡️
Wanted to comment on how nice your mix sounds!! I’ve just used Snow on 2 projects and I feel like it’s a secret weapon already haha. I’m using the MB and the EQ on the mixbus. Very small moves but what it does just opens everything up for me. Anyway, thanks for sharing your lovely work
Thanks man!
It really is a secret weapon/special sauce kind of thing. In certain respects it feels like cheating. You can add/take away with impunity and unless you massively overdo it it never punishes you (aside from the CPU hit )

I'm curious, have you gotten along with the limiter? I cannot tell at all where the threshold begins. For me its been too little or too much.
I really wish it had a separate meter just for the limiter
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm curious, have you gotten along with the limiter? I cannot tell at all where the threshold begins. For me its been too little or too much.
Same. I either am not quite sure if it's engaging at all, or it is stomping the whole mix into oblivion. I second the vote for a gauge for the limiter. Or maybe do what you did for gold and have the gauge that is there cycle through different focus.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok

Wow...you took that from a garage recording to radio ready! Any drum sample replacement?

Either way, your ears and skill made Snow a champion Life (mix?) Saver!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
Wow...you took that from a garage recording to radio ready! Any drum sample replacement?

Either way, your ears and skill made Snow a champion Life (mix?) Saver!
Thanks man, much appreciated.
I'd set as a rule to not sound replace if I could and SNOW made it almost easy. The amount of boos/cut you can get away with is just stupid. It is literally hard to make it sound bad.

As for compression the 2 options stack together extremely well. Worked a treat on her voice. Kept her constant but vever sounding crushed.

Having both SIENNA and VSX also helps a lot. I also recently aquired a Rupert Neve headphone amp and that alone revealed a ton.

I was away from audio for almost 4 years I come back and all hell's breaking loose. The quality and variety of tone available is staggering
We live in amazing times🤯
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician ➡️
I LOVE Acustica plugins, own most of them but rarely use them.
Although I own a 2019 fully loaded Mac Pro maxed out ram etc. I find most (not all) of the Acustica plugins crush the cpu and therefore isn’t really an option for me in a large mix session.
I hope that changes over time.
BTW Snow sounds great and fairs well against my hardware MBP, just can only use it in smaller sessions.
That was my pain too for the last 4 years that I'm using AA plugins, until recently where I switched to PC (Ryzen 3950x) and the cpu crushing simply gone.
Surely I lost some of the mac os goodies but now I can do my job easier and less stressed
Old 23rd June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks man, much appreciated.
I'd set as a rule to not sound replace if I could and SNOW made it almost easy. The amount of boos/cut you can get away with is just stupid. It is literally hard to make it sound bad.

As for compression the 2 options stack together extremely well. Worked a treat on her voice. Kept her constant but vever sounding crushed.

Having both SIENNA and VSX also helps a lot. I also recently aquired a Rupert Neve headphone amp and that alone revealed a ton.

I was away from audio for almost 4 years I come back and all hell's breaking loose. The quality and variety of tone available is staggering
We live in amazing times🤯
Slightly OT question, but what headphones are you using with the Neve HP amp?
Old 23rd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston ➡️
Slightly OT question, but what headphones are you using with the Neve HP amp?
The Slate founder's edition.
I had Lcd1s but tbh I discovered that closed back works best for me. Not to mention compatibility with Sienna AND Vsx

Last edited by dasoundjunkie; 23rd June 2021 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: crappy grammar
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is the Snow trial 44k only and if so what happens if you use it in an Ableton project that was already started at 48k?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Acustica Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
Is the Snow trial 44k only and if so what happens if you use it in an Ableton project that was already started at 48k?
Trials are usually 44 and 96Khz, using the plug-in at 48kHz and 88.2kHz is possible since the engine does the conversion.
Old 2 weeks ago
Acustica Audio

If you missed the intro price offer, this is your chance

Get Snow at 40% OFF from July 16 to July 23, 2021.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/snow

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One of my favorite Preamps !!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
40% off plus my voucher. Very tempting. I read this whole thread and the majority of discussion was about CPU so now that the honeymoon period is over what is the verdict sound wise folks?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
40% off plus my voucher. Very tempting. I read this whole thread and the majority of discussion was about CPU so now that the honeymoon period is over what is the verdict sound wise folks?
I still love it. Actually I feel like I don't want to work without it anymore. I by stupidity missed the intro sale and since then I worked with the demo licenses hoping there would be a "Snow in Summer sale". Et voilà, here it is. Thanks Acustica. Just bought it together with voucher and -VAT for only 52 EUR. For me it is a must have even though I own nearly all Acqua strips and every other software eq from Weiss to Chandler to MDW to UAD etc. etc. For well recorded acoustic guitars this gives the final shimmer (6.8 shelf boost) in a way that I was never able to produce before. Absolutely pro Nashville sound. And on vocals the high-shelf just does subtle magic. Again: I love it. A phenomenal tool.
CPU is ok, even in Pro Tools (unlike Green ;-()
Acustica Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar ➡️
I still love it. Actually I feel like I don't want to work without it anymore. I by stupidity missed the intro sale and since then I worked with the demo licenses hoping there would be a "Snow in Summer sale". Et voilà, here it is. Thanks Acustica. Just bought it together with voucher and -VAT for only 52 EUR. For me it is a must have even though I own nearly all Acqua strips and every other software eq from Weiss to Chandler to MDW to UAD etc. etc. For well recorded acoustic guitars this gives the final shimmer (6.8 shelf boost) in a way that I was never able to produce before. Absolutely pro Nashville sound. And on vocals the high-shelf just does subtle magic. Again: I love it. A phenomenal tool.
Enjoy! We received many requests for a second chance to get Snow, glad you could make it!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar ➡️
Thanks for the feedback. I have been trying the Snow demo over the weekend. Blind testing 7k with London Acoustics Osaka I preferred Osaka although it was close. I think Osaka is quite phenomenal as are most London Acoustics plugins. I don't feel bad saying that here is they are 3rd party Acustica. The Acustica and 3rd party standards and quality climb ever higher. The question now is do I have need for the Snow compressor and pres especially considering I have many other Acusticas already. More testing...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Is it good on Sub Bass electronic music?? (Usually I test all AA stuff but my computer is so full, I already have pink, ivory, azure, taupe, lime, magenta, sand… never found a good one for sub frequencies)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weile ➡️
Is it good on Sub Bass electronic music?? (Usually I test all AA stuff but my computer is so full, I already have pink, ivory, azure, taupe, lime, magenta, sand… never found a good one for sub frequencies)
I get a lovely sub bass with Pink, you should give it another go. It really tightens subs up.

Edit: just bought Snow and it’s lush!
Demo it in your subs

Last edited by BigSmo; 1 week ago at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Just bought Snow..
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks man!
It really is a secret weapon/special sauce kind of thing. In certain respects it feels like cheating. You can add/take away with impunity and unless you massively overdo it it never punishes you (aside from the CPU hit )

Totally missed this comment, but I’m right there with you on the limiter. I wouldn’t rely on it to be perfectly honest. Which is fine for me because I have my go to limiters that I just instinctively know how to get the result I’m after at this point. I played with Snow’s limiter for just a little bit and quickly came to the conclusion it wasn’t going to be replacing any of my go-tos haha.
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonius ➡️
Totally missed this comment, but I’m right there with you on the limiter. I wouldn’t rely on it to be perfectly honest. Which is fine for me because I have my go to limiters that I just instinctively know how to get the result I’m after at this point. I played with Snow’s limiter for just a little bit and quickly came to the conclusion it wasn’t going to be replacing any of my go-tos haha.
Agree on this personally and I think I noted another thread still using other limiters and tend to switch of aside from diamond lift.
📝 Reply