Quantcast
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now - Page 43 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
After how quick and well customer service solved my problem I am more than willing to buy further Slate products. If any of them help me half of what these headphones help in my mixes I am losing my time by not buying them. Steven Slate drums, I am looking at you
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have to say that changing the ear profile frequency to 4.5k made a huge difference for me (at profile 2). I feel like I finally hear these the way that Steven probably has all along. The speaker illusion is spot on now and it's a lot easier to mix with. The fatigue that I was experiencing before (which was honestly quite unpleasant) is gone as well. This is all on my replacement VSX 2.0 with the proper serial number set in the beta.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I just received my replacement headphones (serial 21). I spent a good amount of time listening to it to make it sound as close as possible to the 20 headphones. I’m getting too much low mids in the 21 headphones with the 21 calibration file, so I tried to tweak the EQ, ear profile, and select different calibrations.

To my ears, the setting that’s making it sound as close as possible to the Founder’s edition is actually using the 20 calibration with the ear profile on average at 2.5K.

I know that I should trust my ears, but I’m afraid I’m missing something using a 21 headphone with a 20 calibration. It would be amazing to hear more thoughts on this.
Lives for gear

Just sharing.

HD Linear 2 + Goodhertz CanOpener Studio 3 is a winning combination.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r ➡️
Just sharing.

HD Linear 2 + Goodhertz CanOpener Studio 3 is a winning combination.
Yes… on one of the Engineer presets.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duclebowsky ➡️
That's it, we are on September 01! We will soon be able to order the new VSX! (well I hope ...) a future French user!
Wish you good luck, hope and patience. I ordered mine 4 months ago and have only heard about delays from my dealer since then. Really wonder if I'm going to get what I paid for...
Slate does not look like a very reliable company as of today when it relates to hardware products (compared to its digital portfolio).
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkang ➡️
I just received my replacement headphones (serial 21). I spent a good amount of time listening to it to make it sound as close as possible to the 20 headphones. I’m getting too much low mids in the 21 headphones with the 21 calibration file, so I tried to tweak the EQ, ear profile, and select different calibrations.

To my ears, the setting that’s making it sound as close as possible to the Founder’s edition is actually using the 20 calibration with the ear profile on average at 2.5K.

I know that I should trust my ears, but I’m afraid I’m missing something using a 21 headphone with a 20 calibration. It would be amazing to hear more thoughts on this.
You, me and many others have this issue. I did the support route they were nice and accommodating but in the end the issue is still present.

I can't help but wonder if there are production variances with the 21?

Edit: see reply below.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkang ➡️

So, I just reinstalled the beta and hit restore VSX Default Preferences in Audio Center and the sound is much better!

Not exactly the same as before but that terrible wooly low mid focus seems gone and they sound great. I'd be curious if this helps for you?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Usually when we have a problem, we are pretty fast to publicly criticize a product or a company. Since my experience with Slate has been one of the best I ever experienced, I want to express that I completely disagree that Slate is not a reliable company.

I’m speaking as someone who also had a band problem with the Founder’s Edition, and despite the differences I’m hearing in the Standard Version, I could not be more satisfied as a customer.

First, they are replacing all the headphones that had band issues. They did not hide that there were a problem affecting some units, their support replies every message pretty fast, and most importantly, they are honest regarding the difficulties that we are all facing.

It must be awful to wait for a product to arrive, but every company all over the world are experiencing huge delays. This pandemic affected EVERY area of our lives.

Receiving a replacement unit in a different country far form the US, with every fee paid by the company is not an attitude that shows that they are not reliable. They could get greedy by sending these units to new buyers, but they are reserving it for people who already bought it.

Regarding the differences in the new batch, it’s expected to get a different sound from a headphone built with a sturdier material. If I have not heard the Founder’s Edition, I would not notice anything. The founder’s edition is not better, It’s different. And, I’m sure that if this is something degrading the quality of the product, they will come up with different solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms ➡️
I have to say that changing the ear profile frequency to 4.5k made a huge difference for me (at profile 2). I feel like I finally hear these the way that Steven probably has all along. The speaker illusion is spot on now and it's a lot easier to mix with. The fatigue that I was experiencing before (which was honestly quite unpleasant) is gone as well. This is all on my replacement VSX 2.0 with the proper serial number set in the beta.
Me too, on the OGs. What's weird is that once I switched to the 4.5k notch I could hear much more low-end detail too. Psychoacoustics is weird! 🤘🏻
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My cable is crapping out so I bought a new one only to discover that the hole in the headphone is very tiny and many off the shelf cables won't fit in there. That design could be improved.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeFist ➡️
Psychoacoustics is weird! 🤘🏻
Pshychoacoustics is working exactly as intended. Our brain focuses on the loudest sounds (evolution, survival instinct etc). Once you improved the listening conditions (less masking on the offending midrange area) you get to hear better the entire spectrum (it should be also more definition on the highs, not just the lows). Prepare to be blown away if you dare to manually search for the offending frequency and notch it properly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
My cable is crapping out so I bought a new one only to discover that the hole in the headphone is very tiny and many off the shelf cables won't fit in there. That design could be improved.
I love the fabric V-Moda angled ones.. They fit nicely and are super light weigh.
The angled side push the cable out of the headphones
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack ➡️
At this time, i mostly mix in the SUV for the real life punchy SUB expereince, then i spend time tweaking in the empty Club that i like, then the Boombox.
Honestly, the moment I stopped treating VSX like I had to choose a specific studio and speaker emulation to do certain things with, and just allowed myself to choose stuff based purely on vibe, that's when this product became an indispensable tool for me.
Lives for gear

Small feature request please. Can we have the option to lock the GUI to the main selection screen?
I don't find it to be great workflow when I change the room to do some tweaks, close the VSX window, then re-open it, and that room is now taking up the whole GUI.
I would prefer it if when I re-opened the VSX GUI, that all of the rooms were available immediately instead of an extra click away.

The option of a really minimal GUI would also be good, so that I could just leave it open on the screen somewhere, without it obscuring too much screen real estate.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r ➡️
Small feature request please. Can we have the option to lock the GUI to the main selection screen?
I don't find it to be great workflow when I change the room to do some tweaks, close the VSX window, then re-open it, and that room is now taking up the whole GUI.
I would prefer it if when I re-opened the VSX GUI, that all of the rooms were available immediately instead of an extra click away.

The option of a really minimal GUI would also be good, so that I could just leave it open on the screen somewhere, without it obscuring too much screen real estate.
We've been asking for a mini-GUI for a long time now... since before the last update. No appearance yet.

I would like just a small FAV 5 row of buttons we could leave open. Actually, I could use 8 instead of 5. 8^)
Here for the gear

I preordered in late May/early June, the wait continues. Hold, brothers...HOLD!

From what I hear it will be super worth it for someone like me who doesn't have an ideal room setup for mixing.

At this point I'm close to just buying a pair of Kali LP-6s and taking a chance with my crappy room lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
aaaaaaaarrrgh !

My replacement pair just broke this morning, after only 2 months of use.
Any fancy use : just puting them on the head in order to mix, and removing them for some break, few times a day, almost each day since last July.

I just sent a support ticket.

As soon as I received the new pair (2100 batch) last july, I noticed it was not much stronger than the previous one, and I was quite upset by the plastic they use for bands (it was clicky each time I put them on).
It seems I was right because it lasted even less time than the Founder's Edition : only 2 months of use.

Just for the record, I attach a photo of the broken VSX, and a photo of an ATH m30x (60€).
How can you think the VSX will last any longer than few months with this kind of build quality ? I don't understand why they use plastic in a place where constant bending takes place. It's like planning it to break soon...
The m30x uses metal at the same place instead of plastic. It's 8 times cheaper and shows no sign of issue after 1 year of intensive use.
But of course it's way less useful in order to mix because it sounds less good (and doesn't have the plugin).

I truly hope they will release a durable version. As is, VSX can't be used as a professionnal tool if each few months you need to stop working because it broke, wait for a replacement, then learn again the tool (because the sound is different), etc. etc.

Regarding sound and workflow, it's been a game changer for me, but it's also a big pain in the ass because of these quality issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now-ath-m30x.jpg   Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now-vsx-broken-details.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
Honestly, the moment I stopped treating VSX like I had to choose a specific studio and speaker emulation to do certain things with, and just allowed myself to choose stuff based purely on vibe, that's when this product became an indispensable tool for me.
This ^^^
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
We've been asking for a mini-GUI for a long time now... since before the last update. No appearance yet.

I would like just a small FAV 5 row of buttons we could leave open. Actually, I could use 8 instead of 5. 8^)
2 stacks of 5 buttons for me please
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrel ➡️
2 stacks of 5 buttons for me please
Sold.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Will the VSX room Dolby Atmos?
Acustica Audio is already working on this for. Here's what they say:
Quote:
"Among other things we are also working for Dolby Atmos target, we have a beta-testing systemwide for sienna."
Here for the gear

Hey folks,

Has anyone caught wind of when these might be available again? Feel like I’ve been waiting for absolutely months for these and I’m so excited to give them a try!
Old 1 week ago
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
The wait is almost over. New VSX hardware is en route to our warehouse as I type this. The material used in the band is completely new stuff. I'm able to bend it 180 degrees without issue.

We are actively modeling an Atmos Room using the same binaural psychoacoustic algorithms and filters that have made VSX the most realistic sounding room and speaker modeling system. Once we're done modeling, there will be several options on how we can apply the technology. Gonna be exciting to explore!

Also doing another club with lows that are mind blowing. Never heard something like this ever before.

Steven

Last edited by Steven Slate; 1 week ago at 04:30 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
The material used in the band is completely new stuff. I'm able to bend it 180 degrees without issue.
This sounds great!

Cheers.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The wait is almost over. New VSX hardware is en route to our warehouse as I type this. The material used in the band is completely new stuff. I'm able to bend it 180 degrees without issue.
If you truly deliver, with truly durable headphones, then VSX will be the game changer it deserves to be.

Curious to hear about the new batch...
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Also doing another club with lows that are mind blowing. Never heard something like this ever before.

Steven
Fantastic super stoked on this one
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[...]
Steven
Steven, is this new VSX batch different from the already shipped 2100x series that have gone out for example? I ask because there have been reports of phones from this run cracking in this thread. I have a pair of these and so far so good, but I've been down this road before a couple times now.

You have earned the trust that we all have in you so no worries that you will take care of us if something goes wrong, so I guess this is mostly out of curiosity.

Also, and feel free to get a little technical here, I am sure that you would have considered a light weight metal band at some point that didn't conflict with your overall weight requirements, so why the decision to go with the current material instead of metal? Oh, did you consider a design with replaceable headbands... or allowing customers to send in the broken ones to be refurbished?

Hmmm, that turned into lots of questions. Eager to hear from the horse's mouth though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Now you're speaking my language!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

We are actively modeling an Atmos Room using the same binaural psychoacoustic algorithms and filters that have made VSX the most realistic sounding room and speaker modeling system. Once we're done modeling, there will be several options on how we can apply the technology. Gonna be exciting to explore!

Steven
These look like really great speakers to capture in a room.

VSX could be the first one to have a model of them.
📝 Reply