BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration
Old 24th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberience ➡️
Hey everyone,
Drew from BFD here. Apologies for not getting involved here soon enough. I've been on KvR a bit, but in generally it's been a hectic week! I've been reading messages and feeding them up the chain. So here's a few highlights:

- We never intended for BFD1 and BFD2 owners to lose access to their libraries. That's a bug we're working on fixing. BFD1 owners were supposed to get BFD Eldorado and BFD2 owners were supposed to get BFD London Sessions.
- There are some straggler freebies that we need to deal with. Things like the rock tambourine which will be repackaged and delivered soon.
- i've reported the contact form on the support page being broken. Messages do go through by the looks of it, but the user doesn't get any feedback on it. If in doubt, email [email protected] with your issue.
- We hear you on 'offline' use. People are looking into that.
- We also hear you on the annoyance of the keychain messages on OSX. People are looking into that too.
- There will be a 3.4.1 release soon, that will fix some bugs.
- People who have authorized everything in BFD License Manager, but BFD doesn't seem to work still, please private message me all of the details. I've not been able to reproduce that in-house but if that is a thing, we need to fix it.
- Zildjian SP1, SP2, and ZP1 are discontinued. They were discontinued at FXpansion even before ROLI purchased us. They were re-released as the BFD Zildjian Digital Vaults. Vol 1 library. If you get in touch with support, they should be able to issue you a serial number for the updated pack. You'll be able to download that, install it, and be good to go.
- Finally, there is a bug in the 'copy old files' functionality in the new release. This will be fixed in 3.4.1.
Thank you for the update!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey everyone,
Drew from BFD here. Apologies for not getting involved here soon enough. I've been on KvR a bit, but in generally it's been a hectic week! I've been reading messages and feeding them up the chain. So here's a few highlights:

- We never intended for BFD1 and BFD2 owners to lose access to their libraries. That's a bug we're working on fixing. BFD1 owners were supposed to get BFD Eldorado and BFD2 owners were supposed to get BFD London Sessions.
- There are some straggler freebies that we need to deal with. Things like the rock tambourine which will be repackaged and delivered soon.
- i've reported the contact form on the support page being broken. Messages do go through by the looks of it, but the user doesn't get any feedback on it. If in doubt, email [email protected] with your issue.
- We also hear you on the annoyance of the keychain messages on OSX. People are looking into that too.
- People who have authorized everything in BFD License Manager, but BFD doesn't seem to work still, please private message me all of the details. I've not been able to reproduce that in-house but if that is a thing, we need to fix it.
- Zildjian SP1, SP2, and ZP1 are discontinued. They were discontinued at FXpansion even before ROLI purchased us. They were re-released as the BFD Zildjian Digital Vaults. Vol 1 library. If you get in touch with support, they should be able to issue you a serial number for the updated pack. You'll be able to download that, install it, and be good to go.
- Finally, there is a bug in the 'copy old files' functionality in the new release. This will be fixed in 3.4.1.
Thanks so much for this reassurance Drew. It’s great to hear from you.
I could see that with the 3.4 update, that things were looking pretty progressive, but it scared the hell out of me to lose so much of what I loved about the whole eco system.
Looking forward to the future updates and the promise of what is to come.

Cheers
Matt
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks Drew.
Good move to inform us also here on GS.
I haven't done the migration myself but gonna do it as soon as the main wrinkles have been ironed out..

Now, could you please kindly inform us on the roadmap for future developments for BFD?
Are new expansions to follow? I sure hope the quality will remain at the same level or better. I preferred BFD over Toontrack and others because of that fact.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Hi Drew,
thanks for information and clearification.
Some questions: 1. would it be possible to give a rough estimation how long the solutions will take? Depending on that I would either wait or re-migrate for the meantime to 3.3
2. I have been using the Zildjian Libraries since 2013 without any difficulties. The fxpansion license manager accepted the exiting licenses without any problems. Will it really be necessary to redownload the samples again?
3. How long does it take the support team to send a serial for the updated pack? I informed them about the issue more than 48 h ago and haven't heard anything from them since.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitartom ➡️
Hi Drew,
thanks for information and clearification.
Some questions: 1. would it be possible to give a rough estimation how long the solutions will take? Depending on that I would either wait or re-migrate for the meantime to 3.3
2. I have been using the Zildjian Libraries since 2013 without any difficulties. The fxpansion license manager accepted the exiting licenses without any problems. Will it really be necessary to redownload the samples again?
3. How long does it take the support team to send a serial for the updated pack? I informed them about the issue more than 48 h ago and haven't heard anything from them since.
It looks like my installation is the old SP1, SP2, and ZD1. At some point, my licenses migrated over to the new Digital Vault licenses. Don't know exactly when or how that occurred, because it was back on FXpansion, but apparently I never re-downloaded the installation.

FWIW, even my Eldorado and London are descended from my original BFD1 and BFD2 installations on Windows, and just moved over to Mac and then shoved around. I've always moved things around, and I haven't run into issues. That's one thing that's been very consistent.
Old 24th April 2021
Lives for gear

With all the problems I’m gonna wait till 3.4.1
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey everyone,

A bug, huh? Maybe you should examine the FAQ on your new site. That document basically tells BFD 1 & 2 owners that we are screwed and cannot use the original content. It has a vague reference to the expansions that content was turned into for BFD3...

...one of which (El Dorado) is discontinued, and the other (London Sessions) is an extra $99 purchase for those of us who already own BFD2.

Then there's XFL. It's also discontinued. It's the ONLY item that was migrated from my FXpansion account, but the listing on my account has no info on downloads (I have it on DVDs, but does that version work with BFD 3.4?). Can I assume XFL will be recognized by the new license manager if I buy into that BFD 3.4 upgrade offer of 85% off? That's generous, by the way, but I'm feeling irritated about all of this, and wonder when I'll be asked to spend money on a BFD4...

This whole situation has been a real piss take at existing customers. Until hunting you folks down over here on Gearspace, I had no idea that ANYTHING was being done about these issues at all because I ... READ THE OFFICIAL FAQs on the new site!
Old 24th April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I am just asking for abuse, aren't I?

I bought BFD 3, because I'm basically forced to migrate to it, since BFD2 wont authorize again if the need arises (says your FAQ). So the purchase goes through, and the link to download the License Manager... GIVES ME A PDF FILE.

The account page? Shows no recent orders and does not list BFD3!

UNACCEPTABLE.

EDIT: Also cannot register the new serial I got when I bought BFD3! My Account page still claims I have no recent orders! The purchase of BFD from FXpansion happened over a year ago. Why is this process so completely screwed up?

Last edited by dysamoria; 24th April 2021 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: More info.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria ➡️
I am just asking for abuse, aren't I?

I bought BFD 3, because I'm basically forced to migrate to it, since BFD2 wont authorize again if the need arises (says your FAQ). So the purchase goes through, and the link to download the License Manager... GIVES ME A PDF FILE.

UNACCEPTABLE.

EDIT: Also cannot register the new serial I got when I bought BFD3! My Account page still claims I have no recent orders! The purchase of BFD from FXpansion happened over a year ago. Why is this process so completely screwed up?
I had similar but it updated eventually. Give it a day or 2.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto10 ➡️
I had similar but it updated eventually. Give it a day or 2.
Thanks for that. I will keep an eye on it.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A bug, huh? Maybe you should examine the FAQ on your new site. That document basically tells BFD 1 & 2 owners that we are screwed and cannot use the original content. It has a vague reference to the expansions that content was turned into for BFD3...

...one of which (El Dorado) is discontinued, and the other (London Sessions) is an extra $99 purchase for those of us who already own BFD2.

Then there's XFL. It's also discontinued. It's the ONLY item that was migrated from my FXpansion account, but the listing on my account has no info on downloads (I have it on DVDs, but does that version work with BFD 3.4?). Can I assume XFL will be recognized by the new license manager if I buy into that BFD 3.4 upgrade offer of 85% off? That's generous, by the way, but I'm feeling irritated about all of this, and wonder when I'll be asked to spend money on a BFD4...

This whole situation has been a real piss take at existing customers. Until hunting you folks down over here on Gearspace, I had no idea that ANYTHING was being done about these issues at all because I ... READ THE OFFICIAL FAQs on the new site!
Quote:

UNACCEPTABLE.

You don't need to buy a 3.4 upgrade if you have v3 already. Just wait until 3.4.1 to do the migration. Let the early adopters deal with this stuff, and wait until BFD gets it all cleaned up. You'll get a London license for your BFD2 content when they've worked that out, and an Eldorado for BFD1.

All my other old content migrated over just fine, including XFL. I didn't reinstall any FXpansion or 3rd party expansions at all, and I have most of what's available. The only licenses I had an issue with were BFD2 and my content using the old conversion tool that was discontinued eons ago. For some reason all my old BFD1 content still works, although I'd prefer to turn that into a proper Eldorado expansion pack and license.

All your old content still works on the old version using the FXpansion license manager. If you need to roll back, all that stuff is still available on the old support site. If you have old discontinued content that's still on the FXpansion site, I'd suggest downloading the installers again now. XFL is downloaded using the license manager only, using the download ticket that is in your account. That still works fine as of today. But, if you have a working installation, it will continue to work with the migrated license.

Last edited by kafka; 24th April 2021 at 04:58 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
You don't need to buy a 3.4 upgrade if you have v3 already. Just wait until 3.4.1 to do the migration. Let the early adopters deal with this stuff, and wait until BFD gets it all cleaned up. You'll get a London license for your BFD2 content when they've worked that out, and an Eldorado for BFD1.

All my other old content migrated over just fine, including XFL. I didn't reinstall any FXpansion or 3rd party expansions at all, and I have most of what's available. The only licenses I had an issue with were BFD2 and my content using the old conversion tool that was discontinued eons ago. For some reason all my old BFD1 content still works, although I'd prefer to turn that into a proper Eldorado expansion pack and license.

All your old content still works on the old version using the FXpansion license manager. If you need to roll back, all that stuff is still available on the old support site. If you have old discontinued content that's still on the FXpansion site, I'd suggest downloading the installers again now. XFL is downloaded using the license manager only, using the download ticket that is in your account. That still works fine as of today. But, if you have a working installation, it will continue to work with the migrated license.
Yes wait
Old 24th April 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Were there updates to the engine in 3.4.0? I am encountering a weird behaviour. The cymbal samples are cut short sometimes. I've been trying to find patterns to this but so far it's pretty random. Four hits on the ride and the 3rd one is over before the next hit, no choke used (and it's not 23bpm doom metal ). And it's completely gone when I load everything to RAM so for rendering everything will be fine but it's weird nonetheless.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Who would have known to go chasing over on KVR? Not everyone is a member there. This whole migration scheme is pretty poorly thought out but right in par for something coming out of InMusic. You want to know how bad InMusic is? Go ask over on the DUC (ProTools forum). You'll get an earful and then some and none of it is any good.

A lot of us knew that it was only a matter of time before things went sour when Roli purchased fxpansion. Their super-duper fancy keyboards were/are a disaster with almost no third party support for samplers/sample libraries.

Thankfully I had a clone of my system so I could revert to the previous working install of BFD 3. Everyone that I know of on the DUC that went through the migration hassle has reverted to their previous installs of BFD 3. Some have even said adios to BFD and moved on to Superior Drummer.
Old 24th April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
running fine here - the loading times of the license manager when opening the gui of it the first time in a session is a bit annoying. one thing i am still missing is the lack of dialing controls at once. when i select all my toms and want to change parameters like snare bleed or switch bleed on and off i have to do it for every single tom. in superior drummer i can do this at once and it´s some workflow which should be implemented in the future. i wrote this a few years ago; but seems nothing happens. If you are working with a 1 tom 2 cymbal kit it might not seem important but if you have more shells and cymbals it can become annoying quickly.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I tried to migrate to the new BFD License manager but it crashed and burned... first off it would not accept the email or password that I have been using since I first purchased BFD 1! I had to create a new account and when I did, it would not accept my serial numbers... I think I'm going to stay clear of anymore updates until this is figured out....
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScythe ➡️
Were there updates to the engine in 3.4.0? I am encountering a weird behaviour. The cymbal samples are cut short sometimes. I've been trying to find patterns to this but so far it's pretty random. Four hits on the ride and the 3rd one is over before the next hit, no choke used (and it's not 23bpm doom metal ). And it's completely gone when I load everything to RAM so for rendering everything will be fine but it's weird nonetheless.
Yes, a number of users are reporting this here and there. I sent in a ticket on it to [email protected]. I encourage you to, also, so they'll get an idea of what all the common factors are, and what to prioritize.
Old 25th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️

I did not have v3 already. My projects are using v2. The amount of time it will take to port them to v3 is probably considerable... if v3 supports the content! Reading the official FAQ stating that v2 cannot be authorized any more made me think it was time to go through the migration effort. I COULD write the tracks as audio, but that's not how I prefer to work. I have mostly works in progress, not completed projects. Things are much better for me when I can change original content.

As a side note, my purchase STILL hasn't shown up in my inMusic account.

EDIT: It makes no sense to call people "early adopters". Company/product changing ownership doesn't make the product new. This is a late stage upset to a mature product. No one should reasonably expect this chaos... except for those bitter people such as myself who are aware that inMusic is a vulture of struggling brands, and that none of this business to business **** is EVER for the benefit of customers, and hardly ever benefits the products.

Last edited by dysamoria; 25th April 2021 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: More to say
Old 26th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did not have v3 already. My projects are using v2. The amount of time it will take to port them to v3 is probably considerable... if v3 supports the content! Reading the official FAQ stating that v2 cannot be authorized any more made me think it was time to go through the migration effort. I COULD write the tracks as audio, but that's not how I prefer to work. I have mostly works in progress, not completed projects. Things are much better for me when I can change original content.

As a side note, my purchase STILL hasn't shown up in my inMusic account.

EDIT: It makes no sense to call people "early adopters". Company/product changing ownership doesn't make the product new. This is a late stage upset to a mature product. No one should reasonably expect this chaos... except for those bitter people such as myself who are aware that inMusic is a vulture of struggling brands, and that none of this business to business **** is EVER for the benefit of customers, and hardly ever benefits the products.
OK, yeah, that's another question. IIRC, transition to v3 was seemless. Content, mixer, effects presets, grooves, etc didn't change. I think swing templates disappeared. Otherwise, you didn't need to do anything, and all your old content continued to work. My Platinum Samples kits, presets, grooves, etc all date back to v1. My Eldorado expansion is actually my content from BFD1. I just renamed it to remind myself not to buy Eldorado. But it works just fine. The only problem is this SNAFU with the BFD2/London content and licensing. If that's important to you, I wouldn't mess with v3.4 until they iron that one out.

There is a conversion tool that showed up in v3 called BFDLAC, which compresses the data, which makes the engine a little smoother. I did that on all my kits, even the v1 kits, and it worked seemlessly. But you don't need to do it at all. You can just back up your content, and try it, and revert back if you want to.

I'm not sure what purchase you made or how. If you got it from FXpansion or another vendor, I guess maybe you'd have to migrate that over? I'm not sure.

Call v3.4.0 users whatever you want. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. If you want the current set of migration bugs ironed out, you probably should wait for v3.4.1. I'm just glad that BFD3 has a future, because I wasn't sure. As far as inMusic goes, I don't know. I gave up on AIR because I couldn't get updates, and nobody would reset my account password. inMusic subsidiaries seem to be independant of each other, so I'm not going to hold it against BFD unless I see a reason to. I'm glad they're done with Roli.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been using BFD since v1, 2003.

I've got the original v1 library (Eldorado), XFL, and 8 Bit Kit running in BFD3.

I use Windows 7 64 bit SP1 & Pro Tools 11.3.1, and I'm *very* reluctant to run the upgrade to BFD3.4.

Does anyone have 3.4 running on Win7 in Pro Tools?

Last edited by Tubthumper; 26th April 2021 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: typo
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper ➡️
I've been using BFD since v1, 2003.

I've got the original v1 library (Eldorado), XFL, and 8 Bit Kit running in BFD3.

I use Windows 7 64 bit SP1 & Pro Tools 11.3.1, and I'm *very* reluctant to run the upgrade to BFD3.4.

Does anyone have 3.4 running on Win7 in Pro Tools?
I'd honestly hold off for now if you have a working setup and BFD3 is critical for your work. There are some teething pains, some unresolved issues with content they're working on, and a new version 3.4.1) due out soon. If it's working, no harm in waiting.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I migrated and initially BFD worked but now it keep saying it needs to be licensed and won't open despite the fact that the license manager says eveything is licensed and it seems any attempt to contact support on the site fails.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Now BFD seems to be working after restarting the computer and opening license manager again but I'm getting that keychain message all the time. It's next to useless.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux ➡️
I migrated and initially BFD worked but now it keep saying it needs to be licensed and won't open despite the fact that the license manager says eveything is licensed and it seems any attempt to contact support on the site fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux ➡️
Now BFD seems to be working after restarting the computer and opening license manager again but I'm getting that keychain message all the time. It's next to useless.
It's worse than useless. Don't forget you also have to be online for the migrated BFD to work. A lot of people don't keep their music computers online all the time. Phooey on that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
It's worse than useless. Don't forget you also have to be online for the migrated BFD to work. A lot of people don't keep their music computers online all the time. Phooey on that.

yes - that's a total fail !!!!

I noticed that BFD was 'chatting' back to their servers when I boot it up but didn't dig deep enough to realise it was doing a licence check - makes you wonder what the licence manager is for.

A hugely unimpressive start to the new management team.....I don't like to be on here just to bash (it's become the standard on Gearspace) but in this case.....sorry, but it's true

Just to be 100% clear....if your computer isn't online when you start BFD then it won't run.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange ➡️
if your computer isn't online when you start BFD then it won't run.
Can we confirm this with 100% certainty? Drew?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just to be 100% clear....if your computer isn't online when you start BFD then it won't run.
WTF? It seems InMusic and BFD becomes the same desaster like Avid and ProTools. After 13 years BFD I think I have to leave it.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
not sure Drew is listening

few things in life are 100% certain but there are more reports of this over at the BFD forum - and it's an easy test to do 'at home' - (too difficult for the BFD beta testers of course !)
Lives for gear

Quote:

I noticed that BFD was 'chatting' back to their servers when I boot it up but didn't dig deep enough to realise it was doing a licence check - makes you wonder what the licence manager is for.

A hugely unimpressive start to the new management team.....I don't like to be on here just to bash (it's become the standard on Gearspace) but in this case.....sorry, but it's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
It's 10000% certain. Oh the plugin/program will open but you can't do anything because BFD thinks it's not authorized if you're not online and logged into the license manager. Drew even mentioned in his initial comment here about that was one of the things they were looking at to fix.
Lives for gear

Quote:
not sure Drew is listening

few things in life are 100% certain but there are more reports of this over at the BFD forum - and it's an easy test to do 'at home' - (too difficult for the BFD beta testers of course !)
There's a BFD forum? If so there's no link to one from the BFD Drums website.
📝 Reply