BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration - Page 18 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
My god, BFD, Inmusic, just suck it up and move to iLok and stop the bleeding already. Most people have iLok’s. Leave the sh1tty remote server authorization as an option for the iLok haters.

End this insanity.
Amen - this system they're using is dumb. I think InMusic is what's driving their authorization system. I'd seen a message that they're trying to at least get to a 90 day auth and not just 30 day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
So wait, why would they willingly install malware into BFD?
What's malware? ILM software? I don't think so - it's a way better system than the meshuganeh mess they've got now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Oh wtf. Just opened a song to render the kick for something and frickin BFD is not working, says it is not authorized and I see I am not the only one.

It does not appear anyone has a fix. Are we waiting for them to provide one?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➡️
Oh wtf. Just opened a song to render the kick for something and frickin BFD is not working, says it is not authorized and I see I am not the only one.

It does not appear anyone has a fix. Are we waiting for them to provide one?
Are you on the current version? Logged in to the license manager?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yes. Worked a couple months ago . . . .
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➡️
Yes. Worked a couple months ago . . . .
Does not bode well. It's because of things like this I reverted back to BFD 3.3.1. They say on their forum that they're squashing bugs but they fix one thing and something else breaks. From what I understand that the majority of the team is the same as was when fxpansion owned BFD. InMusic - where s/w goes to die.

I'm trying to get license codes so I can use my Neil Peart and Nick Mason Sonic Reality libraries in the new BFD 3.4.x. Its' been a few days now and radio silence from BFD Drew.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
Does not bode well. It's because of things like this I reverted back to BFD 3.3.1. They say on their forum that they're squashing bugs but they fix one thing and something else breaks. From what I understand that the majority of the team is the same as was when fxpansion owned BFD. InMusic - where s/w goes to die.

I'm trying to get license codes so I can use my Neil Peart and Nick Mason Sonic Reality libraries in the new BFD 3.4.x. Its' been a few days now and radio silence from BFD Drew.
I couldn't even get Tech Support, the button to "enter" does nothing either in Firefox or Chrome. So annoying. What I want to do should take me 2 minutes and I am spending HOURS on a workaround. This is ridiculous, you pay people your hard-earned money and they make it 10 times more difficult than it should be!

Last edited by manymanyhaha; 1 week ago at 08:49 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Was just reading through this thread https://forum.bfddrums.com/t/i-bough...ent-it/1284/43 and that person was having the same difficulty.

The solution is to Log Out in BFD License Manager and then log back in. Stupid AF and just lost three hours but whatever, now I can resume what I was trying to do. Bloody hell . . . .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So wait, why would they willingly install malware into BFD?
By that logic, they already willingly have malware in it with their current licensing system. Might as well actually have another system working properly too.

I understand what you're getting at though. That's why I'd suggest leaving the existing license scheme for people like yourself who don't use/like iLok, and adding the iLok option for those who have had zero issues with iLok. I've already got hundreds of licenses on an iLok, so it's much more convenient.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Definitely. I have all the expansions and have no intention of leaving so I'm optimistic.

I've tried all the other options - Slate, Superior Drummer, etc. and nothing can touch BFD, especially for realism. I used to think I was nuts until I worked with some big names and found out BFD is almost a kind of "industry secret" of people who use it to sub for real drums because it's pretty much the only one you can send the tracks for kick, snare, hat, etc out to someone and they'll think it's real drums. There's some phenomenal people out there that program stuff all the time with BFD and it passes for real drums. The big trick is to use the built in sequencer, however cumbersome it is. If you're really good at programming, what the built in sequencer will let you achieve makes midi in a DAW look like a fisher price toy.
Yeah, it's deep, and I love the option to include rudiments for added realism.

Note to self: don't go overboard with the paradiddle...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Their support form on inmusicbrands.com doesn't even work. I've tried on FF and Safari. What a joke this has become...

So what's the deal with BFD2 licenses? Are they supposed to transfer over as well? I've got one in my FXPansion account that didn't migrate to the new system.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
Their support form on inmusicbrands.com doesn't even work. I've tried on FF and Safari. What a joke this has become...

So what's the deal with BFD2 licenses? Are they supposed to transfer over as well? I've got one in my FXPansion account that didn't migrate to the new system.
Apparently, when you click "Submit" on the InMusic support form, it *is* submitted, it's just that it doesn't inform you that it has been submitted. Kooky huh?

Re: BFD 2, send a PM to Drew over at the BFD Drums forum, give him your FXpansion and new BFD account login details, and the FXpansion BFD 2 serial number, and he'll send you a new serial number.

It worked for me with the missing BFD 1 library, just took a few days.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PS, brand new users can't send PMs over at the BFD Drums forum, you have to establish your bona fides, your "street cred", before you can PM.... from memory, you've got to make at least 5 forum posts, read some of the threads s-l-o-w-l-y, stand on one leg, face south, mutter 10 Hail Marys, then spit on the dog.

No, I'm not joking, apart from the bits after "read some of the threads slowly"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➡️
I had BFD, BFD2, and BFD3. They were decent programs but Superior Drummer 3 is head and shoulders above BFD and I am so happy I moved forward with them.
I did the same. InMusic killed BFD. :-( Good Bye BFD, had so much fun with you.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No ➡️
InMusic killed BFD.
Simply put: No Doc. It was BFD previous owner, Roli who went down. So InMusic actually saved BDF from that fate.
Feels odd to have to say such, so far, obvious turn of events...

Furthermore, it has been InMusic who has acquired and continued development of several brands that I have long been closely following/owned their product at quite difficult years for their markets.
Denon being a quite relevant example at the DJ market, with continuous updates and successful new releases. Just go check reviews and comments at www.djtechtools.com or www.digitaldjtips.com (largest Dj communities).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace ➡️
Simply put: No Doc. It was BFD previous owner, Roli who went down. So InMusic actually saved BDF from that fate.
Feels odd to have to say such, so far, obvious turn of events...

Furthermore, it has been InMusic who has acquired and continued development of several brands that I have long been closely following/owned their product at quite difficult years for their markets.
Denon being a quite relevant example at the DJ market, with continuous updates and successful new releases. Just go check reviews and comments at www.djtechtools.com or www.digitaldjtips.com (largest Dj communities).
I gather you have no idea of how InMusic treats it's s/w purchases. To put it bluntly - it sucks. Go to the DUC - Pro Tools forum and ask about InMusic and you'll get an earful. They buy s/w and cease to develop it or fix bugs. Given the disaster that BFD has become it will never get back the respect it once had. When Roli owned BFD there actually was development and bug fixes going on. And their authorization system worked unlike the clusterf_ _ _ with the license manager that's going on now. People randomnly losing authorizations. They should go with iLok and be done with it but the BFD people are being hampered by InMusic from doing anything to fix it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper ➡️
Apparently, when you click "Submit" on the InMusic support form, it *is* submitted, it's just that it doesn't inform you that it has been submitted. Kooky huh?

Re: BFD 2, send a PM to Drew over at the BFD Drums forum, give him your FXpansion and new BFD account login details, and the FXpansion BFD 2 serial number, and he'll send you a new serial number.

It worked for me with the missing BFD 1 library, just took a few days.
Hmm. When I hit submit, it just keeps showing the form, like you missed a mandatory field or something, but no feedback. Weird.

Thanks, I’ll try the forum.
Lives for gear

I don't think that it is fair to write off BFD as some kind of abandon-ware. It is still being actively developed and bugs are being ironed out.
I have quite a few of their expansions, and they sound great, so I have no intention of throwing those away for no good reason. That would seem short sighted and an overreaction.

Yes, there have been some issues with the software protection, but with each update the devs are addressing any issues that have popped up.

It would be different if it was totally broken and they were not doing anything about it, but that isn't the case.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r ➡️
I don't think that it is fair to write off BFD as some kind of abandon-ware. It is still being actively developed and bugs are being ironed out.
I have quite a few of their expansions, and they sound great, so I have no intention of throwing those away for no good reason. That would seem short sighted and an overreaction.

Yes, there have been some issues with the software protection, but with each update the devs are addressing any issues that have popped up.

It would be different if it was totally broken and they were not doing anything about it, but that isn't the case.
Thing is they're been working on this for well over a year and it's still a goat rodeo. Fix one thing and something else that was working craps out. There's only so much end users will put up with before saying sayonara. I hope they fix it but I'm not holding my breath. Why they didn't go iLok is beyond me.

And two of my main expansions won't work because of auth issues. I've PM'd Drew last week and have heard nothing back from him.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
And two of my main expansions won't work because of auth issues. I've PM'd Drew last week and have heard nothing back from him.
That's a bummer. Did you PM him here or over at the BFD Forum? He's requested PMs go to the BFD Forum.

I PM'd him there twice, he did get back to me, however it took a couple of days on both occasions.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper ➡️
That's a bummer. Did you PM him here or over at the BFD Forum? He's requested PMs go to the BFD Forum.

I PM'd him there twice, he did get back to me, however it took a couple of days on both occasions.
I PM'd Drew on the BFD forum. Even one of their beta testers is having a problem getting an answer from either Drew or Skot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace ➡️
So InMusic actually saved BDF from that fate.

And with "saved" you mean they made it much more worse, right?!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Drew must be under-resourced.
Or under the weather.
Still haven't run the latest version of BFD3 offline, Haven't used it much, using Boom and Reaktor 6 grooveboxes since the DAW revamp, all is sounding great.
Plugin joy with Lindell Series 80 and the SSLs, DMG, Fuse, Softube, PSP, Soundtoys, Waves, Arturia, Valhalla, Pulsar Massey McDSP Sonnox etc
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just heard back from Drew. What is needed to have the Neil Peart and Nick Mason expansions to work are new installers and NOT new s/n's. PM Drew for those. What needs new s/n's are: BFD1, BFD 2, Zildjian SP1/SP2/ZP1 and B.O.M.B
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut ➡️
Yesterday I started getting "no packs found in pack price catalogue" error message constantly popping up over and over. Also bfd seems to have suddenly started crashing and not able to load some presets.

Although I have opened a new account and chosen a free pack I haven't migrated yet because of all the feedback I am seeing regarding bugs and working offline.

I wanted to wait until it’s safer to move over before I install but it seems that somehow my pre migration install is being affected in some way already? Doesn’t make sense to me, is it a coincidence?

Really like bfd but I can certainly see alot of trouble up ahead and it could be time to switch to Superior Drummer

With regards to presets causing crashes, have you tried
"File/Import Preset" instead of (what I usually use) "File/Load Preset from File".

BFD will probably say
"These files are already in the user folder - BFD3 will now rescan your user folder to pick them up".
Which it did for me and then gave a message
" Your new BFD3 content is now set up and ready to use"

Presets which had been crashing BFD3 for me before now seem ok!
May be worth a try.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyt ➡️
With regards to presets causing crashes, have you tried
"File/Import Preset" instead of (what I usually use) "File/Load Preset from File".

BFD will probably say
"These files are already in the user folder - BFD3 will now rescan your user folder to pick them up".
Which it did for me and then gave a message
" Your new BFD3 content is now set up and ready to use"

Presets which had been crashing BFD3 for me before now seem ok!
May be worth a try.
Since getting frustrated with the error pop ups I decided to take the plunge and migrate to the latest BFD platform about a month ago. I initially thought it had gone better than expected but I then noticed kits were not fully loading properly. I attempted uninstalling everything I could find and redownloading my expansion packs which helped but again some kits don't fully load.

I also now have a very annoying issue with my favourite and most used expansion, Horsepower, where the HiHat foot pedal is triggering a really loud single sample when the pedal is released. It is like the foot release sample is triggering but at maximum volume so it is full of noise and hiss. It worked perfectly on the older version of BFD. uninstalling the pack then re-downloading and installing the expansion has not helped.

I have now purchased Superior Drummer 3.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Deleted

Last edited by Clbraddock; 17 hours ago at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Just a rant about the sorry state of BFD
📝 Reply