Quantcast
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Mine is now fixed, but when I started using it again in my DAW, it lost all the drum tweaks, my fault I guess, I should have saved them...

I love the fxpansion stuff, it is so good for composition, and I want to believe that when the next major release comes out, that it'll address all the issues and feature pinch points that are yearning to be addressed, that'll make it a winner again.

As I said before I had to buy MODO drums to finish a couple of clients commissions until BFD was fixed, and that sounded really really good, although the composition tools were very limited, BFD need to look at their competitors and take on board the best of these and add some new features, drop the price of the expansions and bingo, who could resist it?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberience ➡️
Hey dudes,
We're getting very close to having a new release. We were going to put one out this week, and literally as I was hitting the launch button, we found a stop ship bug. Better the frustration of finding it too late than having disappoint you all again. That really isn't my cup of tea!!

We know what the issue is. We're fixing it this week. Hopefully by next week we will have a build out that will resolve the outstanding offline authorization issues.
Good to hear. I'm glad you caught a bad bug. What about all the other bugs we've been reporting? The preset loading bugs, settings breaking on second project load, and crashes are making my project updating process WAY more difficult than it should be.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowparsleyman ➡️
Mine is now fixed, but when I started using it again in my DAW, it lost all the drum tweaks, my fault I guess, I should have saved them...

I love the fxpansion stuff, it is so good for composition, and I want to believe that when the next major release comes out, that it'll address all the issues and feature pinch points that are yearning to be addressed, that'll make it a winner again.

As I said before I had to buy MODO drums to finish a couple of clients commissions until BFD was fixed, and that sounded really really good, although the composition tools were very limited, BFD need to look at their competitors and take on board the best of these and add some new features, drop the price of the expansions and bingo, who could resist it?
I do NOT want to be asked to pay AGAIN for all the bugs to be fixed. If they do that to me, I might render everything to audio and stop using BFD forever. I don't have a feature need. I have a need for the BUGS to be stomped out.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T ➡️
Anyone else now getting alerts every time BFD3 is opened? I get one saying "no packs found in pack price catalogue", dismiss that, and get "no packs found in pack summary catalogue". Bought BFD3 the second it came out, and used it every project since then - but this has only started in the last few weeks. Feels super spammy, but can't find a way to locate alerts anywhere in the settings.
Owen, I’m getting the same annoying alerts. It just started happening a day ago.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else now getting alerts every time BFD3 is opened? I get one saying "no packs found in pack price catalogue", dismiss that, and get "no packs found in pack summary catalogue". Bought BFD3 the second it came out, and used it every project since then - but this has only started in the last few weeks. Feels super spammy, but can't find a way to locate alerts anywhere in the settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer99 ➡️
Owen, I’m getting the same annoying alerts. It just started happening a day ago.
I just got this today when I instantiated BFD 3.3.0 in a Pro Tools session.

WTF is going on?

edit for additional:
I think I figured out what's going on. Opened BFD 3.3.0 in standalone and got the two error messages. I decided to click on the pull down menu item for demo packs and while the window opened it showed no demo packs. It looked like it was checking the InMusic site. Have no idea what's going on.

Last edited by musicman691; 1 week ago at 09:14 PM.. Reason: did a little detective work
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
I just got this today when I instantiated BFD 3.3.0 in a Pro Tools session.

WTF is going on?

edit for additional:
I think I figured out what's going on. Opened BFD 3.3.0 in standalone and got the two error messages. I decided to click on the pull down menu item for demo packs and while the window opened it showed no demo packs. It looked like it was checking the InMusic site. Have no idea what's going on.
Yes, I tried that too. There's a "News" section in BFD, and an error log where it looks to be searching for demo packs on InMusic.

Thinking about it some more, I've not updated BFD3 (for all the obvious reasons) in the last couple years, so I guess logically it must have been checking for demo packs the whole time, and is presumably only showing an error now as whatever link it was looking for them on no longer exists. I think that adds up...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thinking about it some more, I've not updated BFD3 (for all the obvious reasons) in the last couple years, so I guess logically it must have been checking for demo packs the whole time, and is presumably only showing an error now as whatever link it was looking for them on no longer exists. I think that adds up...
IIRC the FXpansion version always checked to see if updates were available, of any kind. Pretty sure if I launch Strobe or Geist, it will verify that it is up-to-date and give me notice if it isn't.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I tried that too. There's a "News" section in BFD, and an error log where it looks to be searching for demo packs on InMusic.

As you may know I don't keep my daw online more than I have to. Well with this current thing happening I tried having my machine online and it came up with the two messages here. Then I took my machine offline, restarted PT, added BFD 3 and got those same two messages but a number of times - it was like 10 times it put up the two messages. Finally it gave up and let me into PT. Funny that it never popped those messages up before with my daw machine offline. Just started today. Tuesday/Wednesday it was fine - no messages.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Followed the trail of clues to migrate BFD3 to InMusic. Got one of the free expansion packs and installed it using BFD License Manager. But now BFD License Manager has stopped working (see screen grab). So I'm still on BFD 3.3 with no access to the latest BFD update and no access to the expansion pack I just downloaded. So far several hours spent on this, and I'm not feeling super confident about the reliability of this software. Just about ready to pull the plug on BFD and on InMusic.
Attached Thumbnails
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration-screen-shot-2021-06-11-10.21.08-pm.jpg  
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalzone ➡️
Followed the trail of clues to migrate BFD3 to InMusic. Got one of the free expansion packs and installed it using BFD License Manager. But now BFD License Manager has stopped working (see screen grab). So I'm still on BFD 3.3 with no access to the latest BFD update and no access to the expansion pack I just downloaded. So far several hours spent on this, and I'm not feeling super confident about the reliability of this software. Just about ready to pull the plug on BFD and on InMusic.
Update. I was able to get BFD License Manager to work again by logging out of it and logging back in again. So how do you log in to BFD License Manager? It directs you back to your InMusic login in the web browser, where you click a "continue" button to log back in to the app. So it kind of works. But now the BFD 3 authorization depends on having BFD License Manager running and being logged in on it.

This authorization setup doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Too bad, because the "Jazz Noir" expansion actually sounds pretty decent. In any case, I'm pretty much going to avoid using BFD 3 for any new projects.

BTW, when I launched BFD3 standalone it asked me if I wanted to migrate content to the new BFD setup. I clicked yes and BFD promptly crashed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow! Glad I checked here before upgrading. Great upgrade price from v1 to v3, but I'll hold off until things get settled.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Update. I was able to get BFD License Manager to work again by logging out of it and logging back in again. So how do you log in to BFD License Manager? It directs you back to your InMusic login in the web browser, where you click a "continue" button to log back in to the app. So it kind of works. But now the BFD 3 authorization depends on having BFD License Manager running and being logged in on it.

This authorization setup doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Too bad, because the "Jazz Noir" expansion actually sounds pretty decent. In any case, I'm pretty much going to avoid using BFD 3 for any new projects.

BTW, when I launched BFD3 standalone it asked me if I wanted to migrate content to the new BFD setup. I clicked yes and BFD promptly crashed.
Update 2: BFD3 (3.4.1) now running OK, up to a point. Apparently the authorization is retained even after you quit BFD License Manager (3.0.1.3). So as far as I can tell, License Manager doesn't need to be running, but you have to stay "logged in" to retain the authorization. Not clear if or when License Manager wakes up and calls home.

However, I have now lost access to most of the BFD3 content—the 38 GB Core Library of audio samples. I can open BFD3 kits, but they come up with yellow [alert!] triangles indicating the samples are missing. My earlier attempt to run a "migrate" process was followed by a crash, apparently resulting in some content being lost. So now I'm downloading the BFD3 core content via License Manager.

It would be good to be able to park the BFD sample libraries on an external SSD instead of my system drive (MacOS 10.14). Does anyone know if the installer can put them on an external drive? I see that the BFD3 Tools menu has a "Set up content locations" option.

I was almost ready to wipe this off my system, but I'll give it a little more time. Not quite ready to give up on my investment of money and (mostly) time on this software.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update 2: BFD3 (3.4.1) now running OK, up to a point. Apparently the authorization is retained even after you quit BFD License Manager (3.0.1.3). So as far as I can tell, License Manager doesn't need to be running, but you have to stay "logged in" to retain the authorization. Not clear if or when License Manager wakes up and calls home.

However, I have now lost access to most of the BFD3 content—the 38 GB Core Library of audio samples. I can open BFD3 kits, but they come up with yellow [alert!] triangles indicating the samples are missing. My earlier attempt to run a "migrate" process was followed by a crash, apparently resulting in some content being lost. So now I'm downloading the BFD3 core content via License Manager.

It would be good to be able to park the BFD sample libraries on an external SSD instead of my system drive (MacOS 10.14). Does anyone know if the installer can put them on an external drive? I see that the BFD3 Tools menu has a "Set up content locations" option.

I was almost ready to wipe this off my system, but I'll give it a little more time. Not quite ready to give up on my investment of money and (mostly) time on this software.
Like most sample using programs you can move the content after installation - you just need to tell the program where to look. It's been a few years since I installed BFD so I don't know if you can tell it to install the sample content to a different place than the installer initially wants to install to.
Here for the gear

BFD3 Alert message

Quote:
I think might have solved this issue, at least on my machine. I clicked on “Check out DemoPacks”, then on the right side open Tools and Remove all DemoPacks and on the left side uncheck Activate.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think might have solved this issue, at least on my machine. I clicked on “Check out DemoPacks”, then on the right side open Tools and Remove all DemoPacks and on the left side uncheck Activate.
Didn't work here. Mac or PC and what operating system?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Didn't work here. Mac or PC and what operating system?
I’m on PC, Win10Pro. BFD is v3.3.1.3.3
I just tried again and there are no alerts regarding price packs,etc. I did the procedure first on the standalone BFD3 and then within Cubase 11. Hope it helps.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Like most sample using programs you can move the content after installation - you just need to tell the program where to look. It's been a few years since I installed BFD so I don't know if you can tell it to install the sample content to a different place than the installer initially wants to install to.
The installers always let you choose a top level directory for the audio content, but will supply a default. You can move it around afterwards anywhere you want, but you have to go into the content locations to tell it where.

The complication tends to be expansion kit presets, kits and grooves, which tend end up under the default software path. That's sometimes under BFD2, and sometimes under BFD3, depending on the installer. With BFD3 on (all versions), that means you typically have to press the "include BFD2 paths" button in you content locations page to get it to scan the old BFD2 path.

Those can also be relocated, but you need to know which ones. Personally I always go back in and manually move any expansion presets and grooves back under the expansion directory. It's just easier to find.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This has to be in the top 5 New Company Take-over disasters ever!

Finally doing some clean up for new computer and went to setup BFD3. Went through the whole "create new company login, get new manager, software update.." process. Looks like some kits work, some kits missing. take off line and it's a bust. Not sure if it's worth the time to sort out now. Luckily, fully backed up with all old working versions.
Safest bet is to come back in a week to 2 to this thread and see if InMusic can get their house in order.
Used to be good for a few snares and cymbals, but poorly planned and released updates like this take away from the products usefulness.
Worst case - BFD2, BFD3 and all expansions go up for sale.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I switched to SD now. I never ever thought to leave the BFD Plattform. But InMusic made me do it. :-( It is so sad.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No ➡️
I switched to SD now. I never ever thought to leave the BFD Plattform. But InMusic made me do it. :-( It is so sad.
I'd switch too but I don't have an extra $1000 for the base program and the expansion libraries I'd need.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm slowly working my way through all the content locations used by the FXpansion version of BFD3 vs the BFD Drums (InMusic) version of BFD3. As far as I can tell, you can put BFD3 Core Library just about anywhere, as long as you use the "Set up content locations" function to scan that location. The default location (Mac) appears to be ~/Documents/BFD3 Core Library, and I'm intending to move it to an external SSD (which I'm going to install later this week). I think the info in this link may still be useful:

https://www.fxpansion.com/webmanuals...ide/index.html

For now, to fix the migration issues, I've manually copied material from ~/Documents/FXpansion/BFD3 to the corresponding slots in ~/Documents/BFD Drums/BFD3. After having BFD3 rescan these folders, and rescan ~/Documents/BFD3 Core Library, everything seems to be working.

One minor issue is that these manually migrated user presets don't automatically show up in the Presets list. The fix is to manually load this content using the File dialog, then resave it, after which it does show up in the Presets list. I think BFD3 probably has to update some internal database before it can show it in the Presets list.

The migration process could definitely be smoother, but I do appreciate that people are working to keep BFD3 alive.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm slowly working my way through all the content locations used by the FXpansion version of BFD3 vs the BFD Drums (InMusic) version of BFD3. As far as I can tell, you can put BFD3 Core Library just about anywhere, as long as you use the "Set up content locations" function to scan that location. The default location (Mac) appears to be ~/Documents/BFD3 Core Library, and I'm intending to move it to an external SSD (which I'm going to install later this week). I think the info in this link may still be useful:

https://www.fxpansion.com/webmanuals...ide/index.html

For now, to fix the migration issues, I've manually copied material from ~/Documents/FXpansion/BFD3 to the corresponding slots in ~/Documents/BFD Drums/BFD3. After having BFD3 rescan these folders, and rescan ~/Documents/BFD3 Core Library, everything seems to be working.

One minor issue is that these manually migrated user presets don't automatically show up in the Presets list. The fix is to manually load this content using the File dialog, then resave it, after which it does show up in the Presets list. I think BFD3 probably has to update some internal database before it can show it in the Presets list.

The migration process could definitely be smoother, but I do appreciate that people are working to keep BFD3 alive.
@ kalzone - I had a really painful experience with the 3.4.1.1 upgrade (see m earlier responses) but now it's sorted, I got excellent support from InMusic tech support (don't expect a fast response) but they got it working, and to be honest, when it's all back and working again, the pain quickly fades. You know how it is, plus I wasn't willing to sacrifice the effort I put into really learning BFD, like Geist2 it requires some time to learn, not just to figure out the basics, but to really know how to use it, and that, I'm afraid I am not prepared to chuck away.

Yes, the mig process could be much smoother, but I have a feeling in me bones that I would regret ditching BFD, to mitigate anything in the future I'll stick also with another piece of software, in my case MODO drum, which I had to purchase to complete some clients songs while BFD was out of order.

With regards to SSD... I have an 1tb NVME (where my BFD content and music project files are) and a 500gb (where my system files are) SSD in my laptop which seems to work adequately.

best of luck Man...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I’m on PC, Win10Pro. BFD is v3.3.1.3.3
I just tried again and there are no alerts regarding price packs,etc. I did the procedure first on the standalone BFD3 and then within Cubase 11. Hope it helps.
I had found this setting a few days ago, which looked promising. But after unticking the "Activate" box, in both standalone and in Cubase, neither one seems to stick. Do it in standalone, close standalone, re-open, and ... get the message again. Has that setting definitely stuck? Each time I fire up BFD or a project with BFD in it, the message pops up - and when I go to that part of BFD, the activate box has been ticked.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I had found this setting a few days ago, which looked promising. But after unticking the "Activate" box, in both standalone and in Cubase, neither one seems to stick. Do it in standalone, close standalone, re-open, and ... get the message again. Has that setting definitely stuck? Each time I fire up BFD or a project with BFD in it, the message pops up - and when I go to that part of BFD, the activate box has been ticked.
Thus far, the “fix” is working, although the activate box is ticked again. It works in standalone and as a vst (in Cubase 11) and works when I’m online or offline. (BFD 3.3.1.3.3)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same thing but I use Pro Tools 2021.3.1 Are you on a Mac or Winbox? If Mac this might be an operating system specific thing.
Quote:
Thus far, the “fix” is working, although the activate box is ticked again. It works in standalone and as a vst (in Cubase 11) and works when I’m online or offline. (BFD 3.3.1.3.3)
Thus far 'the fix' is NOT working on my Mac.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Finally connected and let me install and authorise everything.

but now when I open BFD it says run authorisation software, so I do,
then it tells me to log into my imusic account, I do.

then I still have bfd greyed out with a big;

you bfd has been disabled because you're not logged in to your imusic account.

Anyone with any ideas on how to fix this incompetent piece of programming please let me know.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoSlayer ➡️
Finally connected and let me install and authorise everything.

but now when I open BFD it says run authorisation software, so I do,
then it tells me to log into my imusic account, I do.

then I still have bfd greyed out with a big;

you bfd has been disabled because you're not logged in to your imusic account.

Anyone with any ideas on how to fix this incompetent piece of programming please let me know.
You probably didn't close the licenser before you updated BFD, which is why I got that message.
You will need to reinstall, and make sure that you shut down the license manager before you install, or license manager will not update properly.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. There is a new version of BFD3 available - 3.4.2.4. Please see the below.

BFD3.4.2.4 Release Notes:

This build addresses:

* Offline usage: expansion packs should now work properly! And this time, we really mean it!
* The BFD3 installer will check if License Manager is open and active, and will refuse to install.
* License Manager online access checks should be more robust for users based in China.
* LM 3-0-3-1 included.
* Windows version now comes as a self-extracting .EXE file.
* Visual Studio Runtime Redistributable runs automatically as part of BFDIS script if no previous installation detected.
* Multi-threaded scan (faster / less hangy boot)
* Fix for 5-sec scan loop that can sometimes occur.

*** IMPORTANT UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS ***

The login process has been updated to fix issues with inMusic account access and offline software usability.

To make sure this all works properly, BFD3.4.2.4 and BFD License Manager 3.0.3.1 are required.

This is included with the installer for BFD3.4.2.4, but you **MUST** close License Manager before installing. BFD34.2.4 will prevent you from installing if it detects that BFD License Manager is running.

*** EXISTING USERS ***
Here are the installation steps:

1. Launch BFD License Manager.

2. If you are not logged into your inMusic Profile, please login.

3. Once logged in, find BFD3 in your list of products. Click it to see the available downloads.

4. Find BFD3.4.2.4 and start downloading it. You can monitor the download progress on the Downloads tab in BFD License Manager.

6. Once downloaded click the magnifying glass to open the download location in Explorer or Finder.

7. Close BFD License Manager, and start the installer for BFD3.4.2.4.

8. When installing BFD3.4.2.4, please take care to select the correct VSTplugin location for your setup.

9. After the installation of BFD3.4.2.4, launch the BFD License Manager.

10. Please re-login to your inMusic Profile account.

11. Once logged in, launch the BFD3 standalone.

12. Everything should be authorized and working!

*** NEW USERS ***

1. Download BFD License Manager 3.0.3.1 from:
www.bfddrums.com/downloads.html

2. Install the version for your platform and then launch it.

3. You will have to re-login to your inMusic Profile account. Follow the steps to login via your browser.

4. Once logged in, find BFD3 in the list of products you own and select it to view the available downloads.

5. Find BFD3.4.2.4 and start downloading it. You can monitor the download progress on the Downloads tab in BFD License Manager.

6. Once downloaded click the magnifying glass to open the download location in Explorer or Finder.

8. When installing BFD3.4.2.4, please take care to select the correct VSTplugin location for your setup.

9. After the installation of BFD3.4.2.4, launch the BFD3 standalone.

10. Everything should be authorized and working!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberience ➡️
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. There is a new version of BFD3 available - 3.4.2.4. Please see the below.

BFD3.4.2.4 Release Notes:

This build addresses:

* Offline usage: expansion packs should now work properly! And this time, we really mean it!
* The BFD3 installer will check if License Manager is open and active, and will refuse to install.
* License Manager online access checks should be more robust for users based in China.
* LM 3-0-3-1 included.
* Windows version now comes as a self-extracting .EXE file.
* Visual Studio Runtime Redistributable runs automatically as part of BFDIS script if no previous installation detected.
* Multi-threaded scan (faster / less hangy boot)
* Fix for 5-sec scan loop that can sometimes occur.

*** IMPORTANT UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS ***

The login process has been updated to fix issues with inMusic account access and offline software usability.

To make sure this all works properly, BFD3.4.2.4 and BFD License Manager 3.0.3.1 are required.

This is included with the installer for BFD3.4.2.4, but you **MUST** close License Manager before installing. BFD34.2.4 will prevent you from installing if it detects that BFD License Manager is running.

*** EXISTING USERS ***

1. Launch BFD License Manager.

2. If you are not logged into your inMusic Profile, please login.

3. Once logged in, find BFD3 in your list of products. Click it to see the available downloads.

4. Find BFD3.4.2.4 and start downloading it. You can monitor the download progress on the Downloads tab in BFD License Manager.

9. After the installation of BFD3.4.2.4, launch the BFD License Manager.

10. Please re-login to your inMusic Profile account.

11. Once logged in, launch the BFD3 standalone.

12. Everything should be authorized and working!

*** NEW USERS ***

1. Download BFD License Manager 3.0.3.1 from:
www.bfddrums.com/downloads.html

2. Install the version for your platform and then launch it.

3. You will have to re-login to your inMusic Profile account. Follow the steps to login via your browser.

4. Once logged in, find BFD3 in the list of products you own and select it to view the available downloads.

5. Find BFD3.4.2.4 and start downloading it. You can monitor the download progress on the Downloads tab in BFD License Manager.

9. After the installation of BFD3.4.2.4, launch the BFD3 standalone.

10. Everything should be authorized and working!
3.0.3.1 installed. Won't start download of 3.4.2.4. Now my installation of BFD3 is disabled. Not at all good.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinematic6 ➡️
3.0.3.1 installed. Won't start download of 3.4.2.4. Now my installation of BFD3 is disabled. Not at all good.
Please try it again. It should be working now, I've just triple checked everything here and tested on both platforms. It's all good.
📝 Reply