MOTU releases UltraLite-mk5 USB Audio Interface - Page 17 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases UltraLite-mk5 USB Audio Interface
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️

It's a different animal from the standard Ultralite hense why their are two different variants. The AVB version has an Ethernet port for Audio over Ethernet, matrix routing etc. Same with the 828ES and 8PRE-ES that's part of the AVB line up. The standard 828 and 8pre hasn't been updated yet as the 828X that came out in 2014 is still in production. The Mk5 Ultralite is basically an updated Mk3 that ran Cuemix. The Ultralite in general was historically never part of MOTUs top tier interfaces, it's always been a mid level product same with the 8pre and 828. The Ultralite is basically an entry mid level interface from the 828.

Every since Focusrite launch the REDNET modular interfaces, MOTU branched out in to Audio Networking with the launch of an entirely different line of high end interfaces that replaced the legacy PCI HD192, stuff. So really the 16A replaced the HD192.
This does not say anything about the quality differences, just that the 8A is more expensive due to brading reasons. If anyone has better info, it would be nice to know.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➡️
This does not say anything about the quality differences, just that the 8A is more expensive due to brading reasons. If anyone has better info, it would be nice to know.
Already did if you comprehend well of what I was saying. It has Audio Networking capabilities, updated converters, matrix routing etc. The Ultralite, 828 and 8pre in general are mid level interfaces. MOTU launched AVB versions of the three that are part of the top tier AVB line up gear towards the Pro Audio world. The Ultralite Mk5 has nothing to do with the AVB stuff. All the AVB stuff are using an older ES9016 DAC but will eventually get a refresh with a new design and newer ESS converters. The AVB stuff has been around since 2014 that was launched a year after Focusrite released the REDNET dante interfaces to compete in a similar market.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These are the main differences. On paper the Motu 8A AVB is clearly inferior than the others, yet more expensive. AFAIK there is nothing justifying the 8A's higher price. It would be nice to know if someone has actually compared these models inn practice. I prefer the simplicity of the 8A over the others but wouldn't pay that much more of it if there is nothing actually justifying the price.

Motu Ultralite AVB, 699 eur:
- ESS Sabre32
- AVB / audio networking
- USB2
- 1 mic pre, 2 guitar inputs

Motu Ultralite mk5, 759 eur
- ESS Sabre32
- USB-C
- 2 Guitar/mic inputs
- spdif & toslink inputs
- MIDI in/out
- Dynamic range, line out (A-weighted) 125dB

Motu 8A AVB, 866 eur
- ESS Sabre32
- AVB / audio networking
- optical in/out
- USB3
- only line level inputs
- Dynamic range, line out (A-weighted) 123 dB

https://motu.com/en-us/products/audi...ompact-mobile/
Gear Maniac
Quote:
These are the main differences. On paper the Motu 8A AVB is clearly inferior than the others, yet more expensive. AFAIK there is nothing justifying the 8A's higher price. It would be nice to know if someone has actually compared these models inn practice. I prefer the simplicity of the 8A over the others but wouldn't pay that much more of it if there is nothing actually justifying the price.

Motu Ultralite AVB, 699 eur:
- ESS Sabre32
- AVB / audio networking
- USB2
- 1 mic pre, 2 guitar inputs

Motu Ultralite mk5, 759 eur
- ESS Sabre32
- USB-C
- 2 Guitar/mic inputs
- spdif & toslink inputs
- MIDI in/out
- Dynamic range, line out (A-weighted) 125dB

Motu 8A AVB, 866 eur
- ESS Sabre32
- AVB / audio networking
- optical in/out
- USB3
- only line level inputs
- Dynamic range, line out (A-weighted) 123 dB

https://motu.com/en-us/products/audi...ompact-mobile/
You are comparing Apples to Oranges. The 8A is an older product if you use some common sense. Let's roll back to year 2020 and Take away the Ultralite Mk5. What would you compare the 8A to outside of the AVB line up?

You couldn't really compare anything because only the AVB line had updated converters that was the first MOTU products that featured the ESS Sabre DAC since 2014. The Ultralite Mk5 is a brand new product outside of the AVB product line that can't really be compared to anything else that isn't new.

All the AVB stuff are priced higher than the midrange interfaces because of the AVB Audio Networking capabilities and with better converters. That's pretty common sense given the difference in the companies product lines.

It's like you are trying to compare an Apogee Duet 2 to a first gen Apogee Symphony that competes in two different markets.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You are comparing Apples to Oranges. The 8A is an older product if you use some common sense. Let's roll back to year 2020 and Take away the UltraLite MK5. What would you compare the 8A to outside of the AVB line up?
To the Motu Ultralite AVB. Which is cheaper and has more features. Make sense to you?

Quote:
All the AVB stuff are priced higher than the midrange interfaces because of the AVB Audio Networking capabilities and with better converters.
To the Motu Ultralite AVB has the same converters (ESS Sabre32) than the 8A doesn't it?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
To the Motu Ultralite AVB. Which is cheaper and has more features. Make sense to you?
Kasami is right, the converters/analog path are a step up at the AVB line (Motus top class interfaces), despite being older, whereas the Ultralite seems part of their mid tier interfaces. On top of that they feature their AVB networking protocol, which the ultralite does not have.
If you take a look at the diffmaker thread you can clearly see that at the measurements:

MOTU 8A
marluck: 3.3 dB (L), 3.3 dB (R), -51.1 dBFS (L), -50.1 dBFS (R)
Zek: 1.2 dB (L), 1.1 dB (R), -51.1 dBFS (L), -50.0 dBFS (R)

MOTU Ultralite-mk5
(chrisjones): -0.1 dB (L), -0.0 dB (R), -46.6 dBFS (L), -47.6 dBFS (R)
Monkeyxx: 4.1 dB (L), 10.1 dB (R), -46.7 dBFS (L), -47.6 dBFS (R)

MOTU Ultralite (dheming)
0.6 dB (L), 0.5 dB (R), -41.6 dBFS (L), -42.8 dBFS (R)

Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you TJ99. Finally a sensible reply

The 8A might be my choice then.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Thank you TJ99. Finally a sensible reply

The 8A might be my choice then.

I think TJ99 was basically rephrasing what I was telling you that's basically saying the same thing.

And no the Ultralite AVB is not cheaper than the standard version Ultralite. The domestic price here in the United States for the Ultralite AVB is $649 and the standard Ultralite mk5 is $595 which has always been in the 500 dollar price range for years of all generations. All of the AVB Products shares the same ES9016 DAC chip but not all of them are using the same ADC Chips on the front end. The analog design and power supply design, clocking also makes a difference which justify the price difference on why some interfaces cost more than others besides just features and i/o.

High End Pro Audio -> All AVB interfaces including 16A, 1248, 828ES, 8PreES, 8A, 624, 24Oi, 24Ai, Ultralite AVB, etc 8M, 112D, M64 and so on.. (Competes in a similar market as Dante Network interfaces esp the RedNet and Red Dante Thunderbolt interfaces). The HD192, 1296, 24 i/0 and 2408 Mk3 were MOTU's past higher end models that's long been discontinued that used a PCIe card, now replaced by the current AVB line.

Midrange -> Ultralite, 828x, 896HD, 8Pre, Traveler etc..

Low End Prosumer - > M2/M4 ] (Competes with Focusrite Scarlets)

Besides MOTU's interfaces are lot cheaper than a lot of the over priced stuff out there costing 2 to 3 times more.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think TJ99 was basically rephrasing what I was telling you that's basically saying the same thing.

And no the Ultralite AVB is not cheaper than the standard version Ultralite. The domestic price here in the United States for the Ultralite AVB is $649 and the standard Ultralite mk5 is $595 which has always been in the 500 dollar price range for years of all generations. All of the AVB Products shares the same ES9016 DAC chip but not all of them are using the same ADC Chips on the front end. The analog design and power supply design, clocking also makes a difference which justify the price difference on why some interfaces cost more than others besides just features and i/o.

High End Pro Audio -> All AVB interfaces including 16A, 1248, 828ES, 8PreES, 8A, 624, 24Oi, 24Ai, Ultralite AVB, etc 8M, 112D, M64 and so on.. (Competes in a similar market as Dante Network interfaces esp the RedNet and Red Dante Thunderbolt interfaces). The HD192, 1296, 24 i/0 and 2408 Mk3 were MOTU's past higher end models that's long been discontinued that used a PCIe card, now replaced by the current AVB line.

Midrange -> Ultralite, 828x, 896HD, 8Pre, Traveler etc..

Low End Prosumer - > M2/M4 ] (Competes with Focusrite Scarlets)

Besides MOTU's interfaces are lot cheaper than a lot of the over priced stuff out there costing 2 to 3 times more.
One thing to add:
The 828es, being Motus newest AVB interface, seems to have superior/newer hardware parts, which makes it better measuring than the other AVB interfaces:

MOTU 828es, 5-6 TRS out to 5-6 TRS in, 1 sample L vs. R shift compensated for (sm5)
0.2 dB (L), 0.2 (R), -56.6 dBFS (L), -57.9 dBFS (R)

MOTU 8A

I am just waiting for a new revision of their AVB interfaces (which were released in 2014) with the same HW parts as the 828es, as the 16A would be my choice in terms of IO.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ99 ➡️
One thing to add:
The 828es, being Motus newest AVB interface, seems to have superior/newer hardware parts, which makes it better measuring than the other AVB interfaces:

MOTU 828es, 5-6 TRS out to 5-6 TRS in, 1 sample L vs. R shift compensated for (sm5)
0.2 dB (L), 0.2 (R), -56.6 dBFS (L), -57.9 dBFS (R)

MOTU 8A

I am just waiting for a new revision of their AVB interfaces (which were released in 2014) with the same HW parts as the 828es, as the 16A would be my choice in terms of IO.
Well yeah because the 828ES and 8PreES are still fairly new products added to the AVB line up that are only a few years old. I'm curious if MOTU would update the legacy 828x and the 8pre that seems to still be in production with updated converters like the AVB versions. Perhaps a revamp 896HD with Thunderbolt, ESS Sabre DAC running Cuemix5 if the Ultralite Mk5 was launched independently that isn't part of the Pro Audio line.

How knows if MOTU could switch over to Dante which could also be a possibility given that Dante has a much larger market share compared to AVB. Presonus, AVID are some other few manufactures that offer AVB while everyone else is Dante. Just have to wait and see what MOTU is trying to do but I do expect a 16A Mk2 which would be an awesome upgrade.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well yeah because the 828ES and 8PreES are still fairly new products added to the AVB line up that are only a few years old. I'm curious if MOTU would update the legacy 828x and the 8pre that seems to still be in production with updated converters like the AVB versions. Perhaps a revamp 896HD with Thunderbolt, ESS Sabre DAC running Cuemix5 if the Ultralite Mk5 was launched independently that isn't part of the Pro Audio line.
I hope instead Motu keeps building them with AVB connections for the following reason:

"Dante is licensed, meaning that manufacturers pay a fee to use the technology. AVB is an open standard, and that can make the cost of AVB-compatible hardware lower than that of Dante-compatible hardware."

On the long run open standard protocols are always better imho and do not additional costs to products.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I hope instead Motu keeps building them with AVB connections for the following reason:

"Dante is licensed, meaning that manufacturers pay a fee to use the technology. AVB is an open standard, and that can make the cost of AVB-compatible hardware lower than that of Dante-compatible hardware."

On the long run open standard protocols are always better imho and do not additional costs to products.
I wouldn't say that's entirely true though because there are some AVB interfaces out there in the 3 to 4k price range esp the the new AVID Carbon Hybrid interface. I see RME has some AVB stuff but again all of their products are high mark up that's always been pretty overpriced. I mean you can buy a Mastering grade converter like the Lynx Aurora n with an 8 channel configuration for what RME charges for a UFX II that's isn't in the same class.

One of the main cons with AVB, requires a proprietary switch that are usually pretty expensive to interconnect devices to the network. Dante works with any standard gigabit switch. All Dante hardware is compatible with each other while AVB not so cut and dry without quirks. There has been compatibility issues with Presonus hardware talking with MOTUs AVB interfaces. MOTUs stuff works better with their own hardware same with Presonus. I think that's why Dante has a much larger adoption over AVB. Both protocols have their pros and cons.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I wouldn't say that's entirely true though because there are some AVB interfaces out there in the 3 to 4k price range esp the the new AVID Carbon Hybrid interface. I see RME has some AVB stuff but again all of their products are high mark up that's always been pretty overpriced. I mean you can buy a Mastering grade converter like the Lynx Aurora n with an 8 channel configuration for what RME charges for a UFX II that's isn't in the same class.

One of the main cons with AVB, requires a proprietary switch that are usually pretty expensive to interconnect devices to the network. Dante works with any standard gigabit switch. All Dante hardware is compatible with each other while AVB not so cut and dry without quirks. There has been compatibility issues with Presonus hardware talking with MOTUs AVB interfaces. MOTUs stuff works better with their own hardware same with Presonus. I think that's why Dante has a much larger adoption over AVB. Both protocols have their pros and cons.
Your comparison is a bit apples to oranges.
The Lynx Aurora 8 (n) USB is about 2800€ and Dante is not even included on that one, upgrading it to Dante would cost 500€ on top of that. The RME UFX costs about 1800€, has 4 additional mic pres, ADAT I/O, and AES, which the aurora does not have in its basic configration. They might not be in the same class qualitywise, but the RME has more I/O and is nearly half the price of the Aurora. It has no AVB either AFAIK, so I don't know why you mentioned it?
AVID products have always been overpriced imho, absolutely no fan of this company.

Take a look at the 828es which has more I/O, AVB networking, costs 3 times less than the Aurora (n) and seems to have a conversion quality which is on par with the Lynx products.

But why comparing different products of different companies at all? It is plain simple. Lets say you produce an interface and you calculate all the work and hardware you put into it and you have to sell it at 1000€ to make profit. It has all kind of I/O, network connectivity included. The only thing you have to decide is which protocol you're gonna use. By choosing the open AVB protocol you could keep the price at 1000€, by choosing Dante the license and the proprietary parts alone would raise the price by 300€.

And usually open source stuff will evolve faster, is more reliable, lives longer and will be developed by a far bigger community. It would be better for the industry to move away from Dante and invest their time and money in AVB networking, thats my opinion.

The price for a AVB switch is about 350. A good network switch would be a bit cheaper maybe, but you just have to buy it once. So if we take the above example in an AVB network with 5 of your interfaces, you would pay 350€ for the switch, and 5000€ for the interfaces. Whereas in a Dante network you would pay 200€ for a good switch and 6500€ for the interfaces. So in the end AVB would be a far cheaper solution.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Your comparison is a bit apples to oranges.
The Lynx Aurora 8 (n) USB is about 2800€ and Dante is not even included on that one, upgrading it to Dante would cost 500€ on top of that. The RME UFX costs about 1800€, has 4 additional mic pres, ADAT I/O, and AES, which the aurora does not have in its basic configration. They might not be in the same class qualitywise, but the RME has more I/O and is nearly half the price of the Aurora. It has no AVB either AFAIK, so I don't know why you mentioned it?
AVID products have always been overpriced imho, absolutely no fan of this company.

Take a look at the 828es which has more I/O, AVB networking, costs 3 times less than the Aurora (n) and seems to have a conversion quality which is on par with the Lynx products.

But why comparing different products of different companies at all? It is plain simple. Lets say you produce an interface and you calculate all the work and hardware you put into it and you have to sell it at 1000€ to make profit. It has all kind of I/O, network connectivity included. The only thing you have to decide is which protocol you're gonna use. By choosing the open AVB protocol you could keep the price at 1000€, by choosing Dante the license and the proprietary parts alone would raise the price by 300€.

And usually open source stuff will evolve faster, is more reliable, lives longer and will be developed by a far bigger community. It would be better for the industry to move away from Dante and invest their time and money in AVB networking, thats my opinion.

The price for a AVB switch is about 350. A good network switch would be a bit cheaper maybe, but you just have to buy it once. So if we take the above example in an AVB network with 5 of your interfaces, you would pay 350€ for the switch, and 5000€ for the interfaces. Whereas in a Dante network you would pay 200€ for a good switch and 6500€ for the interfaces. So in the end AVB would be a far cheaper solution.
The Lynx Aurora n domestically where it's made here in the US starting price is $2,599. The RME UFX II is $2,499. The currency is much higher where ever you live at. I live in the U.S where all the american Apogee, MOTU and Lynx stuff is made here.

I was basically saying if I'm going to spend 2,5k on an RME interface that doesn't offer much vaule over what MOTU offers that makes similar DSP interfaces, I can get a Mastering Grade converter for that price. Lynx is top notch converters used in Mastering rooms esp thr Hilo.

AVB uses a propriety switch specially designed for AVB only. It's just not cross compatible like Dante since there has been problems connecting Presonus and MOTU hardware to work properly. AVB works best with a manufacturers own hardware products opposed to mix match with other brands.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was basically saying if I'm going to spend 2,5k on an RME interface that doesn't offer much vaule over what MOTU offers that makes similar DSP interfaces, I can get a Mastering Grade converter for that price. Lynx is top notch converters used in Mastering rooms esp thr Hilo.

It's just not cross compatible like Dante since there has been problems connecting Presonus and MOTU hardware to work properly.
While its true that Lynx converters have been some of the best on the market the last 10+ years and are standard equipment in mastering rooms, Motu has really stepped up their game. As said before the 828es measures nearly on par with the Hilo/Aurora (n). I have not tested them both side by side, but I would be surprised, if one would clearly outperform the other, given the measurements are that close.

I cannot talk about compatibilty with AVID devices, but I had the opportunity to work with AVB Motu Interfaces connected to AVB Presonus interfaces and that worked flawlessly. I know there have been issues at the beginning when the protocol was released, but AFAIK most of them should be solved now? Maybe someone who has more real world experience with it can chime in.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
While its true that Lynx converters have been some of the best on the market the last 10+ years and are standard equipment in mastering rooms, Motu has really stepped up their game. As said before the 828es measures nearly on par with the Hilo/Aurora (n). I have not tested them both side by side, but I would be surprised, if one would clearly outperform the other, given the measurements are that close.

I cannot talk about compatibilty with AVID devices, but I had the opportunity to work with AVB Motu Interfaces connected to AVB Presonus interfaces and that worked flawlessly. I know there have been issues at the beginning when the protocol was released, but AFAIK most of them should be solved now? Maybe someone who has more real world experience with it can chime in.
Which proves my point I was making as RME offers little vaule of what they charge that's not in the same league as the Apogees, Lynx and Antelope converters, let alone Prism.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Which proves my point I was making as RME offers little vaule of what they charge that's not in the same league as the Apogees, Lynx and Antelope converters, let alone Prism.
Yeah well, I am not interested in RME either. My point was that Motu is now up there with the ones you mentioned in terms of conversion quality and you don't have to spend 2-4k for a few channels of 'mastering quality' AD/DA anymore.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yeah well, I am not interested in RME either. My point was that Motu is now up there with the ones you mentioned in terms of conversion quality and you don't have to spend 2-4k for a few channels of 'mastering quality' AD/DA anymore.
I think you're saying the same thing what I said earlier in the thread if you go up a page when I said MOTU stepped their game up. I was mainly referring to price point differences between MOTU and RME DSP interfaces that are similar which I don't understand why RME would price their stuff with the high end Lynx Aurora, Apogee Symphony pro studio interfaces, when the UFX etc. aren't even in the same league of those units. MOTU offers better vaule while RME is like a diminishing return investment.
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Lynx is pretty special IMO, in its own way. Spansive, though. I've heard direct A/B's, they are out there.
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
Lynx is pretty special IMO, in its own way. Spansive, though. I've heard direct A/B's, they are out there.
Did you hear A/Bs also with the 828es perhaps?
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Did you hear A/Bs also with the 828es perhaps?
Yes, I heard a lossless comparison of Lynx Aurora N vs MOTU 828ES.

Both are certainly top quality but I appreciated the smooth tone of the Lynx.

I'm not allowed post the forum name here.
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I forgot to mention that I follow White Sea Studios on YouTube the long haired guy that does the snake oil review views. I saw that hes using all MOTU AVB stuff for Mastering. I forgot what he all had, I think it was a couple of 24AO, 24AI, a 16A and some half rack units. He came from using the Apogee Rosetta converters.

That MixBusTV Italian guy is also using the same stuff.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

FYI, mics only work on mic/line input 1 in Teams and possibly other group video chat apps. I found out the hard way when I had a work meeting and used mic/line input 2. This is with audio setting mic/line input 1 and 2 as the microphone input in Teams.
📝 Reply